Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Arthurs Day @ The Market Quarter.

Options
  • 12-09-2010 10:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Arthurs day again this year...

Diagio and Guinnes again have decided not to do anything in Limerick.

Cork Dublin and Galway have events organised by Guinness, it was done this year on population, ya that makes sense.

Anyways The Market Quarter is doing something for Arthurs Day the Sept 23rd, with some support from Guinness I will add after pressure.

See local press and can post info if required.

Rgds - Ken

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,484 ✭✭✭The Snipe

Hey Ken,

What are you planning for the day? And what time would it be starting?

• Registered Users Posts: 26,149 ✭✭✭✭Berty

And what time would it be starting?

17:59 :D

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,870 Mod ✭✭✭✭Insect Overlord

Hopefully there'll be a few locally organised events anyway. I remember Dolan's put something on last year, but I can't remember if it was sponsored by Guinness or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭kenoconnell

Hopefully there'll be a few locally organised events anyway. I remember Dolan's put something on last year, but I can't remember if it was sponsored by Guinness or not.

Hey Gus,

There'll be live music in all bars in the area starting from 17:59....

There'll be drinks promotions on certain stouts!!!!! price, mmmm well its 251 years old so take it from there.

the drinks promotion will be from 17:59 - 2010.

All bars in the area as part of the market Quarter will be taking part and have oprganised the events. We have recieved support from Guinness but I think was more of an after thought by them and nothing close to the hundreds of thousands investest'd around the country in Dublin Cork and Galway.

Will b press in next weeks post with details.

thanks - Ken

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭bigpink

Selling pints at 2.51 is illegal for that time frame,it has to be for a period of 24 hours

• Advertisement

Dolans are running a big night of music/djs

Why do ye push Arthurs day so if even the company dont support ye?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

bigpink wrote: »

Agree here, why not approach Beamish or Murphy's and have a f you to the Diageo Barons.

Was a Guinness drinker for years, had a few Beamish and it reminds me of how Guinness used to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭billox

Selling pints at 2.51 is illegal for that time frame,it has to be for a period of 24 hours

why do you actually care if you can get a few cheap pints for awhile and be able to drink them in a few nice bars instead of the usual dumps that do cheap drinks

padma wrote: »
    Agree here, why not approach Beamish or Murphy's and have a f you to the Diageo Barons.

Was a Guinness drinker for years, had a few Beamish and it reminds me of how Guinness used to be.

because diageo are such a massive company and if all the pubs do it off their own back and sell a lot of their products they'll have to organise something with Limerick in future years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,874 ✭✭✭padma

I suppose so, Bring in the tourists and all that, put us back on the map where we belong

• Advertisement

padma wrote: »
    I suppose so, Bring in the tourists and all that, put us back on the map where we belong

ya pretty much its a bit rubbish out of guinness to do it like this but people forget that its a multi national company and only look at profits....

• Registered Users Posts: 745 ✭✭✭Timistry

But more importantly its my birthday!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,279 ✭✭✭ronanc15

Seriously now, is there any need....

Pubs have be fined for such promotions!!Just saying!!But guess this pub seems to be a boards pub so

Pubs have be fined for such promotions!!Just saying!!But guess this pub seems to be a boards pub so

its not just this pub its all the pubs in the market 1/4 that are doing it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

So basically Guinness couldn't be arsed running something in the city for their makey-uppy marketing day, and now you're doing it for them ?

I give up!

Hi Big Pink,

The promotion is going to run for the correct lenght of time as you correctly pointed out so its not seen as a "happy hour" promotion etc.

I imagine all the pubs in the city, if not the country are going to do the same promotion.

Liam as you say, ya they copuldn't be arsed so we have to do it, were not doing it for them, were doing it for ourselves and our customers. Why sit back and do nothing and be at a complete loss then...

Well if its someone birthday they'll have to get one for free...

Have a poster I can post up if allowed/wanted, is for the Market quarter and participitating pubs in the area, not just one in particular. has listing of pubs and entertainment.

Rgds - Ken

• Registered Users Posts: 19,106 ✭✭✭✭TestTransmission

Flannerys have Mundy don't they?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

we have to do it

No, ye don't.
    were not doing it for them, were doing it for ourselves and our customers. Why sit back and do nothing and be at a complete loss then...

In actual fact, if I thought there was going to be a pub open that didn't have this makey-uppy fiasco of a "holiday" stuck in my face, I'd be more likely to go there.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No, ye don't.

In actual fact, if I thought there was going to be a pub open that didn't have this makey-uppy fiasco of a "holiday" stuck in my face, I'd be more likely to go there.

Would much prefer to be at home with the little one to be honest but there's bills to pay and whenever theres a few around or something going on you have to try get them in, not always nice but its the way it is these days...

Ya Flannerys have Mundy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

Liam as you say, ya they copuldn't be arsed so we have to do it, were not doing it for them, were doing it for ourselves and our customers. Why sit back and do nothing and be at a complete loss then...

Damned if you do and damned if you don't.

It would be nice, in a way, to boycott Guinness for ignoring us, but what does that achieve? Better, imo, for the Market Quarter to show Guinness they've got something together and ask Guinness to support it.

We're always asking for people to show initiative and arrange for things for Limerick and then when someone does people line up to complain.

It's a made-up day, but at least it's a day men can get behind, unlike some of the more fictional (cough, valentines, cough) ones currently knocking around.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,971 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Flannerys have Mundy don't they?

Great...I''m there...:D From what a little tweety bird :) told me 2euros51 per pint from 17:59 to 20:10.

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,916 ✭✭✭RonMexico

I'll pop in to O'Connells to avoid Mundy and also to support a business that actually makes an effort to draw customers in. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,515 ✭✭✭Firefox11

I'll be my drinking beer at a certain beer festival in southern Germany on that day.:)

• Registered Users Posts: 405 ✭✭L.T.P.

Liam Byrne wrote: »
    No, ye don't.

Businesses, especially in Limerick, have to make every effort to attract customers through their doors seeing as footfall in the city is so dire at present.

I would have thought everybody would be happy of a few cheaper pints even if it is only for a couple of hours!

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 17,424 ✭✭✭✭Conor Bourke

:rolleyes:

There's always one...

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭munstergirl

Best of luck for the promotion.

But i really think if diageo can't be arsed to promote guinness in limerick, why should the publicans.

I'm all for limerick people supporting the pubs of limerick but most of us can't afford too.

Do a bulmers day or anything but diageo day! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

MMMMMMM a Bulmers day. Now that sounds tasty :D

Cannot stand Guinness myself, but if some local businesses can make some money off of the back of the Arthurs day advertising that is all over the national media, then fair play to them.

Would sooner see the local pubs, and by association their staff, have money coming in rather than reading in the paper about them closing down.

• Advertisement

Best of luck for the promotion.

But i really think if diageo can't be arsed to promote guinness in limerick, why should the publicans.

I'm all for limerick people supporting the pubs of limerick but most of us can't afford too.

Do a bulmers day or anything but diageo day! :)

Hopefully the night will be a great success and will pressure them in to doing something for Limerick next year.. They have got a lot of pressure and flak from publicans for not doing anything in there national campaign... They have given some support as already mentioned due to this but I don't think anywhere near enough seeing some of the wasteful money they've spent...

Advertisement