Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A question on the lovely Gineadach

Options
  • 09-09-2010 1:00pm
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Something I've wondered for a long time.

Are there times when a word or two comes after the gineadach that sort of cancels out the gineadach?

For example - around the school = timpeall na scoile
    Around the whole school = timpeall na scoile/an scoil ar fad ??

Also - despite the work = in ainneoin na hoibre
    despite all this work = in ainneoin na hoibre/an obair seo go léir??

Anyone with any light to shine on this?
    GRMA!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

Yes, there are a number of situations where the genitive does not occur due to the noun being qualified by something following it, usually a adjective. But it generally only happens if there is no definite article involved. This usually occurs after ag + verbal noun or after a compound preposition like le haghaidh, os comhair, de bharr etc.

ag déanamh oibre (standard genitive)
    ag déanamh obair mhaith (combination of noun + adjective + no definite article means no genitive following 'ag déanamh')

BUT

Ag déanamh na hoibre maithe (presence of definite article means genitive occurs anyway)

Another example with a compound preposition would be:

ar feadh lá fada

BUT

ar feadh an lae fhada

It's usually the case also that verbal nouns will not go into the genitive when part of the above mentioned contructions. For example:

Ag déanamh athrú (rather than the genitive form athraithe)

Ag pleanáil scaipeadh (instead of the genitive, which is scaipthe)

You can read more about this on pages 94 and 95 (Points 3,4 and 5) in the Caighdeán Oifigiúil.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Krusader

Is this changing with the new recommendations for the CO

• Registered Users Posts: 1,286 ✭✭✭Gael

I don't know, but I don't think so. It's not a particularly controversial or contentious point of grammar as far as I know and is a natural element of the spoken language. Though I'm open to correction on that.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,480 Mod ✭✭✭✭dory

Thanks for that! I'll have to dig out this caighdeán and read it before bed.

Advertisement