Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So what Android tablet are you getting?!?

Options
2»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,073 ✭✭✭mickoneill30

TheDoc wrote: »
    The responses are very much un officially confirming its coming.

So I'll probably be after that one

Ah that's the problem with Android. There's always a new model coming along so should I wait for that.

At least that's one advantage the iPhone & iPad have over Android.:D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,815 ✭✭✭imitation

The browsing on my Android phone is close enought to browsing on my PC. If only it had a bigger screen ....
    It'll never be as good as the PC due to the lack of a keyboard. I can type much faster on a PC than I could on a screen.

Edit: Actually the video here shows the web browsing (using 2.1) but it looks fine for me.

I have a 2.1 phone, the browser is top notch, but I still think theres a fair few gotchas with trying to use android on a non phone system.

-Varying screen sizes get different software support, my samsung spica can't get google earth for instance.
    -Many tablets dont have market support at all anyway
    -The picture viewer has trouble showing detail in images greater that 1-2 megapixels, zoom in and you'll get a blurry mess, where you should be seeing more.
    -Support for stuff like flash (in 2.2 to be fair), java, hell maybe even silverlight. If you buy a 2.1 tablet now, you have a fat chance of getting an upgrade to something cooler designed for pads should it come down the pipeline (based on phones only getting some android updates)

To me, getting a tablet now would be a bit of a waste, if it takes off then all those problems will be resolved and you would just be left with an obsolete machine in no time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

this is why Google said android wasn't made for tablets. its a phone resolution OS. its designed to be used for a phone and not a tablet. Hence why buying an android tablet right now is a bit stupid.

Either wait for a Revamped windows tablet or the rumored high rezz gingerbread

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

This things are only useful for couch or bed Internet surfing, so for me full flash browser support is essential! 300 quid is all they are worth! 500 quid for the entry iPad and no proper browser functionality! Pleaseeeeee!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

jock101 wrote: »
    This things are only useful for couch or bed Internet surfing, so for me full flash browser support is essential! 300 quid is all they are worth! 500 quid for the entry iPad and no proper browser functionality! Pleaseeeeee!:rolleyes::rolleyes:

IF the Archos comes in around €249 it's worth it for me. If it was much more I'd live with my Phone / Laptop combination.

There's no site I need to go to on my HTC Desire that I need to go back to the PC for because the browser doesn't support some feature. The only niggles I have with my phone are having to scroll around web pages when they're at a readable size (seems fine in the Archos video above) and typing on the keyboard (it might be better on a tablet but it'll never be as good as a keyboard).

I didn't even think of Silverlight / Java etc. support.

If it didn't have Flash then a lot of sites would require me to check them later when I'm at my PC. That'd be a killer.

Does anybody have any idea what the battery life is rumoured to be on these?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 12,778 Mod ✭✭✭✭Zascar

So guys which ones are actually available to buy right now, and which ones are soon to be released that might be worth waiting for? I do like the iPad but its crazy expensive and stupidly lacking in features and connections. Realistiacally as soon as the first proper wave of decent Android tablets come out with way more features for a lot less money, they should beat the iPad into the ground but sadly I can't see it loosing much focus. Slag Apple all you want but crikey they are good at marketing! I think the Android vendors as a whole need to group together and start marketing Android devices in competition with Apple really. Maybe make some adds similar to the "Hi, I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" but just take the p!ss out of the downsides of apple like-oversimplicity, overpriced yet under featured

Zascar wrote: »
    Slag Apple all you want but crikey they are good at marketing! I think the Android vendors as a whole need to group together and start marketing Android devices in competition with Apple really. Maybe make some adds similar to the "Hi, I'm a Mac, I'm a PC" but just take the p!ss out of the downsides of apple like-oversimplicity, overpriced yet under featured

+1000. When I show people my phone they love it but they have no clue what Android is and trying to educate them on what an OS is just goes over their heads. If you mention iPhone 100% of them know what that is. Everybody who's knowledgable enough has an Android or iPhone. Everybody else only knows about iPhone. This is weird considering the amount of sales of Android worldwide. Irelands probably too small for much effort in marketing for the manufacturers.

I'd say an ad by Samsung / HTC / Motorola etc. showing different branded phones all running the same apps would help a lot.

As to your question as to what's available now, I haven't seen any tablet so far that I'd want to buy. If you type Android into Amazon / eBay you'll get loads of choice but they all seem to be cheap Chinese stuff. There's nothing with the quality of an iPad that I can see.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,263 ✭✭✭00sully

Well the archos line is out end of this month for the 7" version which is €250 - so a great price for a simple tablet. the 10" is out mid october for €300 - again a great price for a tablet. They are also shipping with 2.2 so at least they will have flash!

Like I said, a great internet couch/bedside device for the price. Bat life is said to be around ~7hours on avg - again not too shabby and coupled with HDMI out I am sold on the archo 10" version.

The samsung galaxy tab is being touted at ~€600 so screw that!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,025 ✭✭✭zod

00sully wrote: »
    The 10" is out mid october for €300 - again a great price for a tablet. They are also shipping with 2.2 so at least they will have flash!

Is the Archos the best 10" version still ?

• Registered Users Posts: 685 ✭✭✭jock101

I would go for the Toshiba Folio over the Anchos 101, as Archos have a bad name for dead and stuck pixels on there touch screen products?:confused:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 562 ✭✭✭ro2

The Samsung Galaxy Tab is on the three.ie website for €289 with the €40/month classic flex max package.

http://www.three.ie/shop/samsung-galaxy-tab-chic-white-classic-max.htm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 214 ✭✭fransdev

And for free online under Broadband for 40 Euro per month, probably big typo. Shame you can't order it....

Advertisement