Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The need to preach.

Options
123457»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

But if you disrespect some-one's ideas then you are by default disrespecting them, are you not?
    Nope.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,558 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dades

But if you disrespect some-one's ideas then you are by default disrespecting them, are you not?
    Ohhh no!

I respect someone's right to have a belief, but I certainly don't have to respect that belief. This is a place to call bullsh1t. Religion, for example, has far too long sheltered under the "respect" umbrella it does not deserve.

I have no doubt there are plenty of ideas and beliefs you yourself have no respect for.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

ColmDawson wrote: »
    Nope.

How so?

If you tell me for instance that my point (whatever it was) is deluded, do you not mean that you think I'm deluded for thinking it?

You don't have to agree with me of course, but you should try to respect me and my idea.

It's that lack of respect ( and I don't mean you Colm, you've always been respectful) that causes such problems here.

Delusion: a false belief or opinion.

We're all adults as you say, and should have thick enough skins to weather that implication. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

AudreyHepburn: Personally, as an idea I don't respect atheism. I respect peoples right to freedom of consicence. There's a faux idea of tolerance going around that suggests that people have to respect everything that people do, in order to respect them. Rather tolerance means accepting peoples right to make choices, despite the fact that you don't agree with the choices made.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,517 ✭✭✭axer

How so?

If you tell me for instance that my point (whatever it was) is deluded, do you not mean that you think I'm deluded for thinking it?

You don't have to agree with me of course, but you should try to respect me and my idea.

It's that lack of respect ( and I don't mean you Colm, you've always been respectful) that causes such problems here.
    Do you respect the KKK's belief that the white "race" is the supreme race and all other races are inferior and should be treated that way?

I don't respect the KKK's ideas.

I can't belief the people complaining about thread conduct have derailed that discussion on rock-atheism. :pac:

Might separate that topic after lunch to a new thread...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭ColmDawson

How so?

Just think of some of the ideas people have. There are people who think it is ok to abuse children, or to be racist, or to teach children things that have no basis in evidence. Are those ideas worthy of respect?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,673 ✭✭✭AudreyHepburn

Ah ok I think I was mixing up being tolerant and being respectful, my bad :o.

And no of course I don't have any respect for the KKK as people.

I'll accept they have their beliefs but I have no respect for them at all in any way.

And anyone that hurts a child deserves to be treated with no respect or tolerance whatsoever.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

Ah ok I think I was mixing up being tolerant and being respectful, my bad :o.

And no of course I don't have any respect for the KKK as people.

I'll accept they have their beliefs but I have no respect for them at all in any way.

And anyone that hurts a child deserves to be treated with no respect or tolerance whatsoever.

I'm the other way around. I have the same respect for KKK members as I have for pretty much everybody else, as people and individuals.
    I have, however, no respect whatsoever or even tolerance for their ideas.

• Advertisement
Advertisement