Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Retro soft drinks

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,905 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Pittybitty wrote: »
    Remember that stuff that used to come in soft plastic containers? Really odd shapes with bendy tubes? It was violently coloured i.e. turquoise, red, luminous green etc. Sometimes the bottles were shaped like bears or space ships! Tasted FOUL but I still bought them :D

I remember them. There was ones shaped like space ships and I always remember horses head shaped ones. Vile evil stuff.

Anyone remember tip top drinks, kind of the same stuff that was in the horse head yokes only not quite as bad, there was strawberry, orange and cola.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Remember clear cola? Mental.. Tasted really cheap.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 12,333 ✭✭✭✭JONJO THE MISER

jonas7 wrote: »
    I remember drinking small bottles of orange called Score. It was cheap and nasty but still drank it.

:D Yeah i remember that used to buy it all the time, think it was 20p or something really realy fizzy.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

the club orange and lemon drink was called 'Rock Shandy' - same as what you would get in the pub.
    the other club shandy was beer based and had a token amount of alcohol.
    the granny used to have a can ready for me when I came home for lunch every friday, in the last year in school she started buying me a bottle of Kaliber for friday lunchtime, used to think I was the dogs rocks going back into school after a beer lunch......I miss my granny.

anyone remember a pyramid shaped carton of orange that came with a straw ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,902 ✭✭✭gipi

I remember the pyramid shaped drink cartons - although as they didn't have a square base, the shape was called a tetrahedron. Can't remember the name of the orange drink though! Didn't they sell milk in these shaped cartons as well?

Here's a UK version - jubbly orange....where the phrase "lovely jubbly" came from apparently!

The company Tetra Pak got their name from the original tetrahedron cartons they used to make! (isn't wiki wonderful!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,117 ✭✭✭AnnyHallsal

Anyone remember Dawn's strawberry milk drink from the 90s? It had a bunny on the carton. I remember people in third class getting it as their school milk.

• Registered Users Posts: 75 ✭✭bdr529

gipi wrote: »
    I remember the pyramid shaped drink cartons - although as they didn't have a square base, the shape was called a tetrahedron. Can't remember the name of the orange drink though! Didn't they sell milk in these shaped cartons as well?

Here's a UK version - jubbly orange....where the phrase "lovely jubbly" came from apparently!

The company Tetra Pak got their name from the original tetrahedron cartons they used to make! (isn't wiki wonderful!!)

I can't spell tetrahedron.....

• Registered Users Posts: 347 ✭✭desolate sun

bdr529 wrote: »
    I can't spell tetrahedron.....

I think you managed it there :D

Anyone remember cans with white plastic "teeth"-shaped bottoms? Only ever got them once and have no idea who makes them.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,071 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Friend of mine from Donegal remembers "football special" drinks - a locally made cola (like Cavan Cola, I guess). Think we spotted a bottle of it during a day out a couple of years ago!

Still made, along with a violently chemical "Bananade" - http://mcdaids.ie/

But Football Special isn't a cola - it just looks like one in the bottle. And looks like a pint of Smithwicks when poured! Tastes nothing like a cola.

I've a habit of coming back from a trip home with a bootful of it - and I've got a carvan... used to do the same with Irn Bru until it became more widely available in the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

There was no alcohol in it, ya mad yoke. Twas called a shandy cos it was a mixture of two things orange and ...lemon, I think.

Ah, Rock shandy! That was a different product entirely! It was nice as well...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,438 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

Remember clear cola? Mental.. Tasted really cheap.

I remember that. Tab Clear it was called. It had a rather daft ad campaign on tv. I used to love the stuff:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,004 ✭✭✭Ann22

kfallon wrote: »
    Anyone remember Smak Pineapple cans?
    I do:), from back in 1988, they did cola as well. I'm not sure about Lemon and Lime or Orange.

I don't know if I'm remembering the same drink as you. The one I remember would be back in the late 70s.

Anyone remember Tip Tops? The little squarish plastic cartons with a lid you pushed a straw through. The drinks were flat...the flavours were orange and cola, maybe others.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,809 ✭✭✭✭Jordan 199

Jennings Cordial. Robinsons had a cola flavoured drink that I remember from the early 90's. It had an orangey/redish colour.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,746 ✭✭✭✭Misticles

Don't know if it's been mentioned - those little plastic packs of juice??

They were yum but thinking back, kinda tasted like plastic ha

• Registered Users Posts: 180 ✭✭stevveyg

any one remember liptonice, think i was the only kid around my area to actually like it, needless to say it didnt last too long around here!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,692 ✭✭✭Dublin_Gunner

Though its still around, Lilt is most definitely retro!

Also, Cherry Coke can not be called Cherry coke, unless you an save the ring pulls to send away for a Cherry Coke Can Transformer.

That Transformer was the only reason I drank the stuff.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,379 ✭✭✭✭rubadub

Friend of mine from Donegal remembers "football special" drinks - a locally made cola (like Cavan Cola, I guess).
    I have a 2L of it in the fridge! got up north.
    MYOB wrote: »
    But Football Special isn't a cola - it just looks like one in the bottle. And looks like a pint of Smithwicks when poured! Tastes nothing like a cola.
    It is like cream soda with a dash of blackcurrant and something else. It does have a head and I heard people drank in pubs it as kids as it looked like a proper pint. The funny blurb on the label says the "football" as since it was started out as a drink to be poured into a football trophy cup and drank out of, as an non-alcoholic alternative.

found it.
    http://mcdaids.ie/football-special/
    Football Special is one of our oldest and most distinguished products winning two awards for excellence in ’84 and ’89 from the London Beverage Society. James McDaid Jnr., along with his role as CEO of the company was also on the founding board of Swilly Rovers FC, one of the most decorated junior football clubs in Ireland, he wanted to celebrate winning trophies by filling the cup with an exciting but non-alcoholic beverage. They created a drink and named it “Football Cup”. Later this was changed to Football Special. It is too strong for my liking, I put a drop into 7up and it is lovely though.

At McDaids we are proud of its legacy with the most common question being what’s in a bottle of Football Special? Well simply it’s a blend of 7 different flavours – which we won’t name here!!- which is then mixed with water from our own private water source. Following the addition of the secret ingredient a bottle is born. Football Special has since branched out to include a Reduced Sugar flavour and an isotonic sport drink FS Sport. FS Sport allows you to enjoy the flavour of Football Special while getting the benefits of glucose fast into your blood stream, making it the perfect training partner
    footballspecial.jpg
    There was TAB, in the pink tin, which preceded Diet Coke/Coke Zero!
    How they came up with the name tab is funny.
    Tab was introduced as a diet drink in 1963. Coca-Cola's marketing research department used its IBM 1401 computer to generate a list of over 250,000 four-letter words with one vowel, adding names suggested by the company's own staff; the list was stripped of any words deemed unpronounceable or too similar to existing trademarks. From a final list of about twenty names, "Tabb" was chosen, influenced by the possible play on words, and shortened to "Tab" during development, and designer Sid Dickens gave the name the capitalisation pattern ("TaB") used in the logo

There was no alcohol in it, ya mad yoke. Twas called a shandy cos it was a mixture of two things orange and ...lemon, I think
    2 types as said. I remember being refused club shandy on 2-3 occasions as the checkout girls said she could not serve me alcohol!

I remember hybrid cans of something, it was about 250ml the tops & bottoms were aluminium with a ring pull, but the side was plastic, I think it had a spaceship and stars on it.

Remember milk mate? the strawberry milkshake syrup. We used to not drink milk on purpose and let it build up, knowing the mother would have to buy milk mate to get us to finish it off before it went off! sneaky beggars...

Capri sun is still about too but was more popular years ago. Its still in a chipper I go to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,452 ✭✭✭SomeFool

Anyone else remember schweppes schizan? I was addicted to the stuff :)

schizan.jpg

Or Sunkist?

sunkist.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 12,349 ✭✭✭✭Skerries

none of your namby pamby soft drinks
    remember Tennents with the ladies on the side?

tennents.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 13,238 ✭✭✭✭djimi

SomeFool wrote: »

schizan.jpg

I was actually going to post this! Used to love it when I was a kid. Cant even remember what it tastes like now tbh!

My favorite was always Canada Dry tho. Gutted when they stopped selling it. Got knows how many gallons of the stuff I drank on holidays in Canada a few years ago! The Schweppes rebranded ginger ale just isnt the same...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,551 ✭✭✭dylbert

Wig Wam?

• Registered Users Posts: 669 ✭✭✭tallaghtfornia

Wig Wam?

That was the one I remember them well they were in an orange carton shaped like a Wig Wam..

Used to love standing on them when I drunk them - they made such a loud bang :D
    (God Iam Sad)

Anyone remember Savage Smyth Rockets ?

Bubble Up was also made by ABC in Dundalk...in the green bottle

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭galwayfreak

Anyone remember Dawn's strawberry milk drink from the 90s? It had a bunny on the carton. I remember people in third class getting it as their school milk.

ya benny bunny . it was yum but i never got it . it was decided that i bring my own drink :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭kwalshe

dylbert wrote: »
    Wig Wam?
    I remember Wig Wam used to make my teeth feel furry... it was rotten. But both that and Panky bars were my staple school lunch everyday

• Registered Users Posts: 34 CiaranP

LadyW wrote: »
    .... I also remember an apple drink (Apla ??) It came out before Cidona and I used to love it :D

Yes! I remember Apla in the mid '70s -
    It was in a white can with a Red apple with a bite taken out - very like the Apple logo.
    I just found out recently it was canned by Batchelors. Cannot find a picture though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 Mercy Seat

What about Dandelion and Burdock?

Was up in Donegal several years ago, visiting my aunt, who got extremely excited when she got to show my dad that she'd found some Dandy and Burdock. He, in turn, got really excited and forced me to try some.

Really liked it, and have found it since, once or twice in obscure shops, but wondered if anyone else was familiar with it? I don't think my mam was, and she's only a year younger than him.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,452 ✭✭✭Blisterman

SomeFool wrote: »

schizan.jpg

Or Sunkist?

sunkist.jpg

Sunkist is still available in England.
    Used to love Schizan. Shweppes Russcian tastes kinda similar to it.

Another drink I used to love, although it was too expensive to buy regularly was Aqua Libra. Gorgeous stuff. Wish they still sold it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,070 ✭✭✭ScouseMouse

Blisterman wrote: »
    Sunkist is still available in England.

Not just in England, here in dublin.

attachment.php?attachmentid=139133&stc=1&d=1292176404

• Registered Users Posts: 406 ✭✭Gotham

I'm trying to find an old drink. I keep thinking Cadet, but i know it's not that. It was sold along side it in many shops.

Small, fat bottle. Green/pink whatever colour labels.

Photoshopped from memory: http://i.imgur.com/WnlQTyR.png

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,763 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

Gotham wrote: »
    I'm trying to find an old drink. I keep thinking Cadet, but i know it's not that. It was sold along side it in many shops.

Small, fat bottle. Green/pink whatever colour labels.

Photoshopped from memory: http://i.imgur.com/WnlQTyR.png

Would it be Shannon Minerals? Not the catchiest name, but they did some unusual flavours like Cream Soda and Raspberryade. Used to see them in small local grocery shops in the mid-west. No image that I can find unfortunately. The bottles were fat too if I remember correctly.

Advertisement