Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Anyone have high prolactin levels

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3 BabyNova14

Hi Ladies!

I have/had very high prolactin..diagnosed last July was over 1700, saw endo and had mri which was clear. took 2.5mg parledol until late Dec, prolactin was still to high to conceive so at our dec visit my endo said that when we come back after xmas to have considered ivf/iui...anywho got more bloods done end dec and she sent a letter to say prolactin sill high to double the tabs...2.5xtwice a day...this took it out of me big time but she said progesterone was perfect.

Roll on to January 2014 and was 5 days late (I have never been late) but with some spotting and neg hpt, af came with full force and was depressed as hell. last week we made our app to see endo and discuss ivf/iui etc....and for some reason I got up the next morning and took a test and got my BFP!!!!!! 5wk1day now...so early but still wanted to share that there is hope...we were ttc for nearly 5 years unaware that I had high prolactin!

any of you that have had pregnancies with high prolactin, do the doctors do anything different? see you more often etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Seeing this thread has given me so much information on a condition I'd never heard of up until Friday 25th April....

My husband and I are thinking about having a child, only he had a vasectomy years ago when he was with his ex. Before looking into reversals, ivf etc, we decided it would be a good idea to check how fertile I am. You can imagine my horror when, the day after the hormone tests, I was contacted to be asked to go back for another test... My prolactin level was reading at 1058! There are bits and pieces that make me wonder if I've had something wrong for a while but I'm not jumping to conclusions. I don't think it is thyroid as I've had a check for that not long ago after complaining about being tired all the time and always getting colds etc and it came back normal.

I do wonder if my levels could be a result of stress, as I've been under a lot of it over the last couple years... Or is my level a bit more than would be expected for that?

I've been in for my retest today, so now the wait to see what it is now? Would there be such a thing as a false high reading? I did start my period on the 28th...btw. On a footnote, do my boobs hurt or what! No leaking but just hot and heavy and I'd kill anyone if they knocked them!

• Registered Users Posts: 1 SalsaFaye1983

Seeing this thread has given me so much information on a condition I'd never heard of up until Friday 25th April....

My husband and I are thinking about having a child, only he had a vasectomy years ago when he was with his ex. Before looking into reversals, ivf etc, we decided it would be a good idea to check how fertile I am. You can imagine my horror when, the day after the hormone tests, I was contacted to be asked to go back for another test... My prolactin level was reading at 1058! There are bits and pieces that make me wonder if I've had something wrong for a while but I'm not jumping to conclusions. I don't think it is thyroid as I've had a check for that not long ago after complaining about being tired all the time and always getting colds etc and it came back normal.

I do wonder if my levels could be a result of stress, as I've been under a lot of it over the last couple years... Or is my level a bit more than would be expected for that?

I've been in for my retest today, so now the wait to see what it is now? Would there be such a thing as a false high reading? I did start my period on the 28th...btw. On a footnote, do my boobs hurt or what! No leaking but just hot and heavy and I'd kill anyone if they knocked them!

• Registered Users Posts: 166,026 ✭✭✭✭LegacyUser

Mina how are things now

• Registered Users Posts: 13,268 ✭✭✭✭fits

I'm joining this club. Just found out today my prolactin levels are elevated, but not mad (ca. 700). Just trying to figure out what to do next. Its been a stressful few months so thats probably not helping.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

I think that stress can affect it. The highest mine got was about 900, but the endocrinologist didnt think it was causing the infertility. It's been grand since I stopped breastfeeding and went back to normal levels, and I still had conception issues so she was very likely right on that.

Also, I remember someone saying the time of day also makes a difference to your prolactin level.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Blaise1847

I'm actually sitting here in floods of tears reading this thread. I started to miss my period since March and knew there was something wrong as I was always regular. I was tested and my Prolactin is coming in at about 1200 - 1500 each time. I went to see an endocrinologist and she was putting it down to stress as I had no other symptoms. I came off my birth control and haven't had a bleed since.

Fast forward to this week and I've started to lactate and feel really nauseous.. And weepy. I'm currently waiting on an MRI and it's driving me nuts. I just need to know if there is a tumor there! But then I don't want to know at the same time. The idea that I may not be able to conceive is so overwhelming. I feel like I can't really talk to anyone about this!

I know no one has wrote on this thread in years, but I'd love to know how other people have dealt with this. What can I expect?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Digs

Blaise I'm so sorry you're feeling this way, I couldn't read and not comment.

I've been seeing an endocrinologist for over 10 years for pcos. During one set of bloods my prolactin was absolutely through the roof, crazy high. He asked for the bloods to be repeated before going ahead with any further testing. Within a 3 month period the levels were way back down again to almost normal. When I think back it was a very stressful period of my life for a few reasons and it had a huge affect on my body. I know a few posters have had to take medication for prolactin issues and have also conceived there after.

I've had two babies since then, my prolactin has only been an issue once since but it righted itself again. In my case it seems to be stress and not looking after myself properly that sends it haywire.

Hope you begin to feel a bit better soon.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

Blaise, if prolactin is preventing you from conceiving, then in many ways you are lucky because it's the easiest type of infertility to fix.

When they call it a tumour is a bit misleading. It's a benign growth, and 10% of the population have them, some not knowing they every had it. Only in extreme cases is the growth so big it causes issues, and even then, a small operation sorts it out. Please don't worry about this.

I had my MRI in the March, my 'tumour' is 3mm. I was put on the medication after that. The endocrinologist told me that the levels were not sufficiently high to cause fertility. I got pregnant in the August, and she was right - my prolactin levels were perfect and have been ever since.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Blaise1847

Hey guys, just thought I'd give you a quick update! So they found a "nodule" when I got the MRI.

My endocrinologist is starting me on a medication called "dostinex" next week to try and lower my prolactin levels. I'll be on that for the next two years, I've Googled the tablets and the side effects seem pretty rough. Have any of you been on the same?

Hopefully, this will get everything back to normal. It's been a bit of a rollercoaster!

• Advertisement

I was on bromocriptine and had no side effects at all.

Advertisement