Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Are you always punctual with your typing online?

Options
  • 07-09-2010 9:13pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭

Do you always make sure you have capital letters for the start of sentences, commas to break up sentences and full stops to end, etc?

It's a habit that I do it, but most people are alright, but then there are people who are atrocious.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Your two anal ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

always

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 11,362 ✭✭✭✭Scarinae

Sometimes if I'm writing a one-sentence post I don't bother with a full stop

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I'm usually on time with replies yeah.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,070 ✭✭✭questionmark?

i cant say dat i Would ,now, but most the time like i be trying me best boss sure ya know? the score with booards ya

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 34,567 ✭✭✭✭Biggins

Yes. It's a personal thing.
    Spelling and grammar are reflective sometimes of those that post I feel.

As for text speak! GRRRRR!!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Biggins wrote: »
    Spelling and grammar are reflective sometimes of those that post I feel.

How dare you :p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭Cheap Thrills!

My punctuation is occasionally tardy :o

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Not always but sometimes. I have been a little bit more wary of it recently.

• Moderators, Regional East Moderators Posts: 23,212 Mod ✭✭✭✭GLaDOS

I don't on IM, but otherwise I am.

Cake, and grief counseling, will be available at the conclusion of the test

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

I've gone through the OPs post very carefully a few times now, and can't find any errors to point and laugh at. Damn !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

I always make the effort but I don't really mind what others do as long as I can understand them and they're not wilfully taking the piss, like text-speak for example.

I do think it's a little remiss of people that can do so not to make the effort, but if somebody just has poor spelling or writing skills, I'm not bothered at all and judge their posts on their worth - unless I'm trying to a Muphry's Law job on them or something.

OutlawPete wrote: »
    How dare you :p
    Wot!
    No exclamation mark or question mark? Booo... Hissss... :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

I don't mind how people write as long as they don't write sh*t loads of sentences without any paragraphs. My head hurts trying to read dense texts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

I tend to avoid as many mistakes as I can, not because I care but only because a poster may decide to go off topic and post something about me missing one or two commas...

Far too many grammar nazi's around here for my liking.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

Text speak is the only thing that would bother me or if punctuation was placed wrongly in a sentence thats all. Once the words are spoken in proper english and understandable then ya I'm not too bothered about punctuation after that once it makes sense that's all that matters!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭Slunk

I try my best to be accurate all the time but if mistakes happen or Im in a rush typing something Im not going back to change it. Bugs me when someone I know is beside me and they keep interupting saying I typed something wrong. So long as you get the jist of what Im saying it doesnt matter that much.

conno3001 wrote: »
    I tend to avoid as many mistakes as I can, not because I care but only because a poster may decide to go off topic and post something about me missing one or two commas...

Fair to many grammar nazi's around here for my liking.

'A' for effort, 'C' for excecution.

:p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 64 ✭✭conno3001

'A' for effort, 'C' for excecution.

:p

In fairness I caught before you managed to post :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 19,154 ✭✭✭✭MrStuffins

I have rather good spelling and i have rather good grammar, but my typing accuracy is very bad and by the time i notice, i have already clicked the submit button.

Some of my posts here put me across as some sort of gimp!

• Advertisement

MrStuffins wrote: »
    ...Some of my posts here put me across as some sort of gimp!
    We still love you! ;)

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,900 ✭✭✭littlefriend

Punctual?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,222 ✭✭✭robbie_998

your base r belonging to us now :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

stovelid wrote: »
    I always make the effort but I don't really mind what others do as long as I can understand them and they're not wilfully taking the piss, like text-speak for example.

I do think it's a little remiss of people that can do so not to make the effort, but if somebody just has poor spelling or writing skills, I'm not bothered at all and judge their posts their posts on their worth, unless I'm try to a Muphry's law job on them or something.

Exactly my thoughts. Text speak is one of my pet hates, followed by posters who are already aware of the fact that another poster has dsylexia and has a dig at them regardless. Of course, new users wouldn't be aware of it, but there some that are dicks about it.

With previous jobs and the type of letters I'd have to send out, you can't afford to look unprofessional. It's a habit I don't think I've broken out of. I have to admit, if I post something and notice something I've missed, I'll do a ninja edit on it. :p

/Awaits post correction :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 153 ✭✭Elliejo

I try my best to use proper punctuation and grammar, but the odd mistake may slip through. I can't use textspeak even on texts!

*in* texts!

• Registered Users Posts: 830 ✭✭✭Robby91

For the most part, I'd like to think so. I tend to leave out the full stop on the last sentence in a paragraph though, for some peculiar reason :P

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

Far to many grammar nazi's around here for my liking.
    Did you?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,418 ✭✭✭loobylou

I've gone through the OPs post very carefully a few times now, and can't find any errors to point and laugh at. Damn !

Must look harder.

You still didn't spot the other mistake. :p

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 11,074 Mod ✭✭✭✭MarkR

I just bang my head off the keyboard until I pass out. Oddly, it always turns out to be a full, complete, and relevant sentence.

*puts on Pedantic Pat hat*

punc·tu·al/ˈpəNGkCHo͞oəl/Adjective
    1. Happening or doing something at the agreed or proper time; on time.
    2. Denoting or relating to an action that takes place at a particular point in time.

punc·tu·a·tion (pngkch-shn)
    n.
    a. The use of standard marks and signs in writing and printing to separate words into sentences, clauses, and phrases in order to clarify meaning.
    b. The marks so used.
    2. The act or an instance of punctuating.

Had to be done.

Advertisement