Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Man Booker Prize 2010 - shortlist announced

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 824 ✭✭✭Travel is good

I was very lucky to be able to be able to attend a book reading yesterday by Emma Donoghue. She was an excellent speaker, so engaging! I wish her the very best of luck on Tuesday. Emma herself has also read "Skippy Dies" & recommends it.

I am making my way through the other short-listed titles, "The Long Song" is next on my list. No matter who wins the Booker prize, I think I'd prefer to read books that are recommended here.

• Registered Users Posts: 134 ✭✭Zxc

I was very lucky to be able to be able to attend a book reading yesterday by Emma Donoghue. She was an excellent speaker, so engaging! I wish her the very best of luck on Tuesday. Emma herself has also read "Skippy Dies" & recommends it. QUOTE]

I couldn't attend the reading but when I knew Emma was in the country this weekend, I felt sure she would appear on some of the television chat shows. But if she did, sadly I missed her.

At the weekend I saw a show on BBC television where residents of a particular village in England were given the Booker nominated books and after reading, gave their verdict and gave marks out of ten.
    "Room" was chosen as the runaway "winner." However it was noted that in the previous years they've done this unscientific survey in this same village, the chosen winner has not gone on to win the Booker itself.

Nevertheless, best wishes to Emma. The book is a wonderful read.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,223 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

For past winners, The English Patient was grand.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭trishasaffron

Howard Jacobsen's The Finkler Question has won. I bought it at lunchtime and really looking forward to it - as well as dealing with serious issues it is supposedly quite funny - great!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,912 ✭✭✭pog it

Second time out of 2 that I predicted winner :)

Cleverly done by the Man Booker getting major publicity for 2 of the books instead of just the one predominantly!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 346 ✭✭hatful

Zxc wrote: »
    I was very lucky to be able to be able to attend a book reading yesterday by Emma Donoghue. She was an excellent speaker, so engaging! I wish her the very best of luck on Tuesday. Emma herself has also read "Skippy Dies" & recommends it. QUOTE]

I couldn't attend the reading but when I knew Emma was in the country this weekend, I felt sure she would appear on some of the television chat shows. But if she did, sadly I missed her.

At the weekend I saw a show on BBC television where residents of a particular village in England were given the Booker nominated books and after reading, gave their verdict and gave marks out of ten.
    "Room" was chosen as the runaway "winner." However it was noted that in the previous years they've done this unscientific survey in this same village, the chosen winner has not gone on to win the Booker itself.

Nevertheless, best wishes to Emma. The book is a wonderful read.
    I'm reading 'the wisdom of crowds' at the moment, so I guess that's that theory out the window. :D hmmmm what kind of books do middle class English conservatives like?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12 iaminminsk

Struggling with this book at the moment. Finding it very boring so far, the whole jewish debate is completly outside my sphere of interest I'm afraid. Can't believe this book won. I have to defend Vernon God Little here though. I thought it was the funniest book I had read since Borstal Boy, with a message too. I have recently finished DBC's latest "Lights out in Wonderland", not brilliant, but enjoyable in parts and he has some interesting points about the world's economy there too. "Skippy" is next on my list, happy reading!

Advertisement