Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

John Lennon Killer Up For Parole

Options
  • 07-09-2010 12:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭

Mark David Chapman, convicted killer of music icon John Lennon, is up for parole for the sixth time and may be questioned this week.

A parole hearing for Chapman that had been scheduled for August was postponed until this month when the New York parole board begins its meeting Tuesday.

Chapman's latest quest for freedom comes just months short of the 30th anniversary of the death of the former member of the Beatles.

The last time Chapman was up for parole, in 2008, the New York State Division of Parole issued a release saying his request was denied "due to concern for the public safety and welfare."

He also was denied parole in 2000, 2002, 2004 and 2006.

Chapman, 55, is serving a sentence of 20 years to life in prison for the shooting death of Lennon outside Lennon's New York City apartment on December 8, 1980.

He has served 29 years of his sentence at the maximum-security Attica Correctional Facility, where he is held in a building with other prisoners who are not considered to pose a threat to him, according to officials with the state Department of Correctional Services.

He has his own prison cell but spends most of his day outside the cell working on housekeeping and in the library, the officials said.

For the past 20 years he has been allowed conjugal visits with his wife, Gloria.

The visits are part of a state program called "family reunion" that allows inmates to spend up to 44 hours at a time with family members in a special setting. Inmates must meet certain criteria to receive the privilege.

Chapman has not had an infraction since 1994, said Erik Kriss, spokesman for the Department of Corrections said last month.

"He goes about his business, doing his prison job and without any fanfare," Kriss said.

Yoko Ono, Lennon's widow, in previous years has submitted a letter requesting that parole be denied.

I got this from CNN website where many of the comments at the bottom seem to suggest he should be let out - Their reasoning being, that if it had been a normal Joe-Soap that he'd killed, he'd have been out at least 10-years ago - and that people who have committed far more brutal murders since then, are now out and about! Which, is probably true....but that doesn't make it right!

Plus, I believe Chapman to this day still does not show any regret for killing Lennon!

Also, if a normal Joe-Soap's killer was let out and then re-offended....while it would be embarrasing for the parole board, I really don't think it would cause as much of a storm as this guy doing it would cause. So he probably has no chance anyway!

Let Chapman Out? 75 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    100% 75 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,496 ✭✭✭Mr. Presentable

Give him McCartney's address.

• Registered Users Posts: 532 ✭✭✭ki

Give him McCartney's address.

What you think they could start a band together?

• Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭ClutchIt

Anyone who shoots somebody should stay in even longer than what Chapman has done so far. But he is being singled out.

Give him Yoko's address

• Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

"Give him McCartney's address. "
    ohh thats just wrong! but a quick witted answer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Give him Yoko's address

He already has it - She still lives in the Dakota building where he shot Lennon!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 835 ✭✭✭miketv

ClutchIt wrote: »
    Anyone who shoots somebody should stay in even longer than what Chapman has done so far. But he is being singled out.

Give him Yoko's address

hahaha thats wrong too but not as wrong!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,689 ✭✭✭✭OutlawPete

Chapman has not had an infraction since 1994

He posts on Boards? :eek:

/off to the prison forum

• Registered Users Posts: 1,522 ✭✭✭neilthefunkeone

He should be given a medal.. Come on.. he killed the king of the hippies!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,236 ✭✭✭Sanjuro

He's a murderer, and should be treated like any other murderer. The fact that he murdered a celebrity should not make the case any more special. Personally, I don't think any murderer who kills for no reason should go free, but that's just me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

This topic was done recently.

Let him out: he's done his time.

If he hadn't have murdered one of the world's best loved singers, he'd be out by now. You can't legislate for murder on the basis of how famous the victim is.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 515 ✭✭✭daithimac

Is there not an agrument to be made that someone who kills someone to generate a massive global impact is a greater threat than someone who gets drunk and punches someone to many times.

Can you imagine Chapman gets out and decides to seal his name in the history books once and for all by going after a current celebrity. President Obama for instance. The guy killed someone because that was how he wanted to become famous. he's like a more evil version of Paris Hilton.

Hopefully he will die alone in his cell never seeing the light of day again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

Sanjuro wrote: »
    Personally, I don't think any murderer who kills for no reason should go free, but that's just me.

This.

6% of released murderers go on to murder again, that alone is enough to suggest that killers should never, ever be released back into society.

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭Penny Lane

My head says he's served his time but my heart says let him rot. He has never shown remorse for what he did so screw him.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,969 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Posts like this is why we need a thumbs down or 'Anti-thanks' button.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

They should let him out and see how long he lasts. I'd say three minutes max.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Columbia wrote: »
    This.

6% of released murderers go on to murder again, that alone is enough to suggest that killers should never, ever be released back into society.

94% of them Don't , and is there a breakdown of the 6% and a source for it

• Registered Users Posts: 2,164 ✭✭✭hobochris

Double his time for missing Yoko Ono.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,331 ✭✭✭✭bronte

Leave him in . :mad:

Asshole.

stovelid wrote: »
    This topic was done recently.

Let him out: he's done his time.

If he hadn't have murdered one of the world's best loved singers, he'd be out by now. You can't legislate for murder on the basis of how famous the victim is.

He's done his time? So I'm entitled to go out and murder anyone I want, so long as I'm willing to spend 29 years in jail? And when I get out I've repaid my debt to society, have I?

It has nothing to do with John Lennon. If he'd murdered a hiv-ridden hobo I'd still let him rot in that cell for the rest of his life.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,453 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

The Catcher in the Rye is still in print so no.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,925 ✭✭✭aidan24326

I heard a while back that Chapman himself doesn't want to be released, as he is afraid of the consequences (that he himelf will be an obvious target on the outside). Don't know how true that is though.

Pesonally I think he should just be treated as any other prisoner would be, and the fact he shot somebody famous shouldn't really come into it. If he's shown remorse and been rehabilitated let him out. Otherwise leave him in there. Some posters have suggested that he has never shown remorse. How do you know this?

94% of them Don't , and is there a breakdown of the 6% and a source for it

Just had a google search and couldn't find it unfortunately, something I read in the last couple of months.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,982 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

hobochris wrote: »
    Double his time for missing Yoko Ono.

If he gunned her down, he would have gotten off with a caution, and McCartney would have given him the drummer's job in Wings.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

The poll needs an "I couldn't give a flying **** if he's released or not, as it will have no bearing on my life" option.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,086 ✭✭✭Nijmegen

He should have shot Lennon in Ireland, he'd have been out in 5. He could have raped the corpse and got a concurrent sentence.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,041 ✭✭✭who the fug

Terry wrote: »
    The poll needs an "I couldn't give a flying **** if he's released or not, as it will have no bearing on my life" option.

The butterfly effect would beg to differ

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

I read a book about him once. He thinks he has a committee living in his head - slightly too crazy

• Registered Users Posts: 1,216 ✭✭✭Danger_dave1

Did Padraic Nally show any remorse after being convicted of manslaughter of john ward ? Yet the public were up in arms for his release .

• Registered Users Posts: 355 ✭✭Princess Zelda

Did Padraic Nally show any remorse after being convicted of manslaughter of john ward ? Yet the public were up in arms for his release .

Didnt realise John Lennon was breaking into Mark Chapman's house

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,379 ✭✭✭lee_baby_simms

"One thing you can't hiiiide, is that you're crippled insiiiide..."

Advertisement