Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 226 ✭✭RICARDO1982

I was on the dart coming back from FAS. Got home to see the news on every station..

• Registered Users Posts: 25,068 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

I was in the process of having a tooth filled when the second plane hit.. I lost the tooth a few months later

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭SirLemonhead

bluewolf wrote: »
    I don't understand why people always ask this :confused:

It might have changed since last year!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,514 ✭✭✭stanley1

in bed, turned on tv, thought I was watching a movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,659 ✭✭✭unknown13

stanley1 wrote: »
    in bed, turned on tv, thought I was watching a movie.

*when was this movie released*
    *flicks channel*
    *same movie, must be advertising*
    *flicks channel again*
    *HOLY SHÍT*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,564 ✭✭✭✭Frisbee

I was in school and I remember a tacher from another class coming in and telling us. Spent most of the night watching it on telly as we'd all gotten off homework which I was chuffed with at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 959 ✭✭✭changes

I was at work and ran into the office next door to tell them what was happening. They just looked at me like i was a bit mad, then when everyone realised how crazy and massive it was we were all around the radio listening in shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,314 ✭✭✭sink

iamthe43 wrote: »
    can you remember where you were on 9/10?

I can, I was burying my Grandad.

Was in 6th year and we went on a geography trip to some seaside village in Galway that day. I was working on a project for leaving cert, can't remember exactly what now, but I was with a group of mates reading an ordinance survey map on the beach when and old lady came up to us and told us America had been attacked and that New York and Washington had been destroyed. We just thought she was crazy but decided to check it out. We went into the nearest pub and watched the second tower collapse. We spent the rest of the day glued to the telly.

• Registered Users Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Nodster

We we're due to fly to San Fran on the 14th for our funnymoon, needless to say we cancelled until the following year.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭Columbia

I was outside raking up leaves after my father trimming the hedges, when my mother called the house from work and yelled "THE WHITEHOUSE HAS BEEN BOMBED!!"

She's never been a knowledgeable or worldly person.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Was in 6th year in school and had just been at a memorial service in the school for a girl who had been killed over the summer in a car crash. Heard about the first plane when I was in my friend's mother's car on the way home, saw the second plane on Sky News when I got home.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,397 ✭✭✭Riddle101

was in 6th class when it happened. Came home from school and my mam said that two planes had crashed into the world trade center. I said, ok without really showing much concern, and went up to change out of my uniform and pretty much didn't care. later on as I was watching the whole thing on the news in my friends house, I started to cop on at just what happened and became more sympathetic to the whole situation. So much so that I didn't turn off the news at all that night until I went to bed, even though it was just showing the same scenes as it had earlier that day.

It was then when I got a real taste of what reality was like, and ever since then I have always kept track of the news and make it a habit of reading up on things to learn about the world. Bit sappy really, but that's how I was and am.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 418 ✭✭The Paws

I was in New York 2 days before this happened! I was due to go home on 12th but decided to head home on 9th instead - mainly to give myself more time before heading back to work!!
    It was at work I found out about this sad event and everyone said you are so so so lucky to be able to "get" home.

Funny thing is - I got stranded when I was in Rome for a mini break this year!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

was in car on n11 listening to todayfm running sky news commentary, myself and driver heard that world trade centre which we had both been up

was gone... could not take it in..stunned:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,487 ✭✭✭Mister men

What's with the 9/11 obsession?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

I was 16, my mother picked me up from school and said something about a plane and twin towers. Hadn't a notion what she was on about. Didn't know what on earth the World Trade Centre was. Got home, turned on the TV and sat with my mouth hanging open for quite some time as my brain tried to catch up with what my eyes were seeing.

I didn't even come close to appreciating what was actually happening until much later.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,286 ✭✭✭WesternNight

Mister men wrote: »

9th anniversary next Saturday, the documentaries are being shown again all this week so it's on people's minds. Hardly an obsession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭E.T.

Mister men wrote: »

It's a defining moment of the last 10 years for people all over the world. IMHO.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,233 ✭✭✭sdanseo

Was in first year in school, heard chitter chatter among others about the world trade centre and kindof subconsciously knew something was up...then when I got to the train station, almost home I asked my Mam and I remember thinking it was the twin towers in Kuala Lumpur. I was quickly corrected.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭mysons

I was in work but on September 11 2000 my wife,2 sons and I were standing on the top floor of the World Trade Centre looking down at the scene through the glass floor at the windows.
    Our eldest lad was very nervous as he did not and still does not like heights and I remember saying not to worry as they did not build buildings like this for them to fall down.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,978 ✭✭✭3DataModem

Honeymoon in Italy. Eircom text headline service used to give you the three headlines as a regular subscription.

This is what I read;

"- up to 30,000 feared dead
    - fourth plane crashes in Pennsylvania
    - south half of Manhattan evacuated"

I was sitting on throne at the time ... I shouted into my wife to turn on the CNN.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,776 ✭✭✭up for anything

Was sitting in front of the TV, taking the weight off my pregnant 'feet' watching Sky news and saw the first broadcast. Couldn't believe it. Felt it was a real JKF moment and ran outside to call the children in to watch it because I thought it was history in the making. They were 7, 4 and 2 at the time - they had absolutely no interest and ran back out to play. The younger two now glue themselves to every program about it and wear youtube out. It runs a close second to the tsunami in their list of things to watch. Must be a boy thing.

It was the most surreal thing I ever watched and had nuclear strikes and WW3 in the back of my mind. The only other news I have ever followed as closely as this was the Holly and Jessica saga.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,798 ✭✭✭karma_

I remember it well, I was driving up the I95 to Boston when the radio reports started, got into work and everyone was in shock, replaying news videos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 Private Eye

Was in Bernards O Briens in Skibbereen, enjoying a delicious lunch, when the old guys at the bar groaned 'J-E-A-S-U-S' few of them stood up and walked towards the clumsy oversized T.V.
    Looking up I realised they had actually lifted therir ass's off the stools to check out the newsflash, I instantly knew something serious had happened., later I went to Supervalu, everybody was chatting about the Trade Centre an Shock and Horror reflected in everyones faces.......

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 3,068 Mod ✭✭✭✭OpenYourEyes

I was walking home for school, stopped in the chipper on the way and saw some of the footage on a small tv in the corner. Only realised what was happening when i got home

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

I was 7 years old, I remember my mum was listening to JOOOOOOE Duffy and he was discussing it on the drive home from school, I still vividly remember that drive home for some reason, what had happened really hit home which I'm still surprised about. I spent ages watching the news at home with some primitive morbid fascination.

In a way, I'm glad I remember it well, so that such an important day isn't pieced together in my mind with stuff I think I should remember. Watching the documentary someone linked to here last night really brought it back to the fore of my mind.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Misty Chaos

I was in school ( 2nd year secondary ) but for some reason, we didn't hear anything until until after school. I was on my way home when I popped into a local shop for a browse and then noticed that Sky News was on the radio, I thought it was odd and didn't think much at first until I listened a bit more intently and then was wondering ' OK, WTF is happening!? ' and legged it into the electrical store next door to see it on the TVs in there.

I was up until 1am that night watching the news, I was in total shock at what happened.

• Registered Users Posts: 855 ✭✭✭smokin ace

september 11th 2001 will always be a special day for me because i was in the hospital with my girlfriend because she was in labour with our first baby(a boy by the way)when one of the nurses came in and turned on the tv to sky news just after the first plane hitting and no one could believe what was happening we kept the news papers on the 12th so as to remind us what was happening in the world the day he was born as if we would ever forget just looking back at them now it was unbelievable
    best of luck to all who was born that day it is a day to remember and rest in peace to all that died in the twin towers

• Registered Users Posts: 3,089 ✭✭✭ascanbe

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

In a parachute.

No, at work.

Advertisement