Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

I was actually getting head from Sheila, some foreign exchange bird that was in the college. She wasn't great but at least some towers were being erected that day.

You know how stupid that attempt at humour makes you look?.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

After hours sadly isn't known for the maturity of its posters. Rather the opposite...

As I posted earlier, it seems many posters on here were toddlers when 9/11 happened - and it seems quite a few have stayed that way mentally too...:(:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,074 ✭✭✭questionmark?

Was at home sick from school dying of the flu lying on the couch with the duvet. I remember watching it and trying to call my mother and she not taking me seriously when calling her to tell her what was happening!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 575 ✭✭✭RockinRolla

You know how stupid that attempt at humour makes you look?.

.......it wasn't humour.... :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35,514 ✭✭✭✭efb

.......it wasn't humour.... :confused:

Well that's a fact!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭niallith

wasd on lunch break in school aged 16.... dont know if theres another forum for this but having just watched some of the "flight 93" film , reminds of the theories about that they couldnt find any wreckage etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 32,370 ✭✭✭✭Son Of A Vidic

I was actually getting head from Sheila, some foreign exchange bird that was in the college. She wasn't great but at least some towers were being erected that day.

:eek: This guy has got 2 D1cks!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,619 ✭✭✭ilovesleep

It was my second day back at school repeating the leaving cert. I remember getting home at about 4.30, dumping my school bag in the middle of the floor, starting a rant about how much of a crap day i was having and my mother telling me to shut. She was glued to the tv. Then I pulled up a chair and watched. Horrific stuff.

I hope all the victims and their families have found peace. How do they come to terms with something like that.

Anybody watching channel 4?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭DetectivFoxtrot

ilovesleep wrote: »

Anybody watching channel 4?

missed the start of it so gonna watch it on +1 at 10pm. any good? Haven't seen this one before...

• Registered Users Posts: 15 DaveTheWave

I was suppose to be in school, but for some reason i remember asking my ma what the feck the twin towers were while sitting in the clonee.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭theparish

missed the start of it so gonna watch it on +1 at 10pm. any good? Haven't seen this one before...
    Condi Rice and Rummy put in an oscar winning performance.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,256 ✭✭✭Ronin247

There.Watched it in full from midtown office block.
    Every lamp post, window shop etc. already had missing people posters up, there were pictures and vigils being held everywhere in the streets. People were walking around crying, praying, freaking out. Some cries for help were chalked into the pavements "Have you seen such and such, they are 5 ft 4", black hair, was wearing red sweater and jeans", stuff like that; it was heartbreaking.

That is one of my most vivid memories,boards and boards in Grand Central covered in missing posters.I cannot describe it properly,Detecivfoxtrot can probably understand.Millionaire bankers and poor waiters reduced to posters from relatives begging for any information,they held a macabre fascination for me,reading them.....sad.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,234 ✭✭✭thetonynator

Was on my way home from primary school, my mother was shocked and we spent the whole evening watching bryan dobson speechless on rte 1 . . .i didnt really understand the significance at the time!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37 thomas353

Was on my way home from primary school, my mother was shocked and we spent the whole evening watching bryan dobson speechless on rte 1 . . .i didnt really understand the significance at the time!!
    the significance of mad fundalmental extremist bringing down the the world trade centre? with a couple of 747's? you thought maybe they missed the airport or the brakes failed

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭Adriatic

I was still in primary school and was nine years old. I turned on the TV to watch pokémon and to my dismay some tower with smoke billowing out of it was on nearly every channel.

I called my mother and she was shocked. For some reason I cheered and said they got those American b*******. I wonder where my hatred came from for Americans at nine but I have no idea. Looking back on it it was an awful thing to say and I soon realised that from all the coverage of the aftermath.

I've watched every single 9/11 documentary and film I possibly could ever since. I remember seeing some channel 4 documentary a few years ago by a Dutch film crew filming fire fighters and they were the ones who got the footage of the first plane hitting the tower and they also filmed inside the tower and had to help the fire fighters using the camera's flash light. That was the best 9/11 documentary I've ever seen and I never got the name of it because I missed the beginning and just happened to be flicking channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,575 ✭✭✭lord lucan

Adriatic wrote: »
    I've watched every single 9/11 documentary and film I possibly could ever since. I remember seeing some channel 4 documentary a few years ago by a Dutch film crew filming fire fighters and they were the ones who got the footage of the first plane hitting the tower and they also filmed inside the tower and had to help the fire fighters using the camera's flash light. That was the best 9/11 documentary I've ever seen and I never got the name of it because I missed the beginning and just happened to be flicking channels.

Sounds like "9/11" by the french Naudet brothers. They were filming a probationary fireman with the FDNY and his training etc. and the unit they were with was first on scene. I have it on dvd,powerful stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0312318/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,681 ✭✭✭✭P_1

I remember I came home from school around 4 in the afternoon and my Mam told me about it. My initial reaction was WW3 is about to happen.

Still can't believe the teachers told us nothing about it, shocking considering that a few months prior the headmaster made an announcement over the tannoy with breaking news that Sonia O'Sullivan had won silver in the Sydney Olympics.

On the day of mourning my godson was born, absolutely no traffic on the way into town as we went in to visit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14 thesuburbs

Was on a bus heading into town when someone a few seats away got a phonecall and got increasingly agitated and upset. Overheard her talking about a tower and plane but I'd never been to New York and didn't make the connection. Wandered into a newsagents and they'd Sky news or something on, just remember staring at the footage with the cashier (soon after the second plane hit) holding a banana in a daze for what felt like ages. Don't think I really grasped what was happening til much later that night when you couldn't help but see the footage over and over.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

I was 7, I remember the teacher saying something about it, but I wasn't paying attetion, then my Ma told me and I watched Sky News for hours.

• Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭franklyon

Was my graduation day in NUI Maynooth, took a flight from JFK the evening of the 10th and arrived the morning of the 11th in Dublin after a summer on the J1 in Wildwood, NJ.

Was in the twin towers the Saturday (11th was a Tuesday) before but was too stingy to pay the $14 to go up to the top viewing area. :rolleyes:
    Heard about it after the graduation while half asleep in the back seat on the way home.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 875 ✭✭✭Cookie33

I was 12 and just was coming home from school when i heard about it, i didn't quite understand until i turned on the tv. the tv was constantly on it for the next few days. i was shocked to say the least

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,005 ✭✭✭CorkMan

Where were you on September 11th 2001?

Over in Obama's gaff having a joint.

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 12,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭JupiterKid

Seems like everyone posting on this thread was about 10 years of age when 9/11 happend. I feel old. :( Jeez!!:rolleyes:

Are there no posters about who were actually adults at the time and could grasp the full significance of the events?

Watching the images of the twin towers collapsing and seeing people leaping from the windows will stay etched into my mind for the rest of my life. For a couple of days, I thought that a nuclear confrontation would follow the terrorist attacks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,405 ✭✭✭shinny

some pics attached. I have better ones but they're on a different pc that has since died on me, I must actually remove the hard drive and recover the pics.

Pls do and if you can stick them up here. Tks.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,758 ✭✭✭Laois_Man

I was painting the outside of my sisters house. I knew nothing about what was happening until about 4:20 when I went inside and turned on the TV to see was there any sports news on Teletext.

Just at that time, it was breaking news about Flight 93 crashing in Penselvania and there were reports that there was a 5th plane still in the air and headed towards Washington DC.

My initial reaction was that Flight 93 was shot down and all the films and documentarys since haven't fully changed my mind about that. Not that I'm a conspiracy theorist. But I do have alot of questions about that day that I feel don't make alot of sense. About all 4 hijackings

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,381 ✭✭✭Doom

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Heres the thread 'as it happened'
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?s=&threadid=30985

Amazing stuff

I remember NOT getting picked up from school by my mam - i was so pissed off and too young to realise what had happened

spooky

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭Saganist

I was 20 at the time. My son was born exactly a week after 9/11

At the time I was working on Parnell St.

My boss came in and said a small plane hit one of the towers and that 200 people were injured ( remember every detail of that day )

We went up to the conference room to turn on sky news. Just as we did the second plane hit, and then we watched them fall. I was an unreal day to say that least !

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Just realised I've some photos I took at the American Embassey here in Dublin. They'd a book of condolence opened at the gate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 731 ✭✭✭inmyday

I was 16 at the time. i was in the lobby of a hotel in santa ponsa, waiting on the bus to Palma airport. we were watching it on the tv. i remember when the second plane went in, and people screaming. i never thought anything about getting on a plane that day. only over the next few days, the panic about getting on planes and so on...
    But i remember the following morning, the Wednesday, waking up and listening to the strawberry alarm clock. and it wasnt the same, no laughs, no jokes, they actually were like a news programme.

Weird the way, in school, we were happy to get the day off on Friday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Daroxtar

I was havin the absolute time of my life in Ibiza dancing on the beach at Bora bora. Couldnt figure out why the bar staff were all watching tv while loads of punters stood at the bar waiting to be served. I didn't hear a thing until about 12.30 that night when a girl on the bus back said "Wasn't it awful about America". Eh..what??? Then some guy said "Ya, 50,000 missing, its like Armageddon" WTF???

Strange , I know, but I always associate 911 with one of the best days of my life.

Advertisement