Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Captain Havoc and Coronals summer trip.

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,305 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

Can I ask who the other fella is on the magazine cover?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 2,508 ✭✭✭Lemag

Hermy wrote: »
    If you win the auction you'll probably be able to find out :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

I hate you for this, it's 1980 Olympic road race champion Sergei Soukhoroutchenkov (or something similar).

https://ormondelanguagetours.com

Walking Tours of Kilkenny in English, French or German.

Ah yes, know him well...:confused:

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 11,391 Mod ✭✭✭✭Captain Havoc

Ah yes, know him well...:confused:

When I saw his name, I was like :eek:

• Advertisement

Weigh in done, 17.2kg luggage and bike :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,557 ✭✭✭The tax man

Best of luck Captain H and Coronal. Hope ye have a safe journey.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Are ye gone yet? Good luck and have fun...

I'm the king of the world on a boat like Leo, if you're on the shore then you're sure no me-o. 95km in 4 and a half or so hours. Uneventful except for meeting a mate in Wexford and one in Rosslare. Oh, I forgot standing with that weight on the back isn't good and I also need to find a bike shop in France as my cassette seems to be loose.

• Registered Users Posts: 395 ✭✭Coronal

I unfortunately had to bail on week one of my trip and took a train back from Strasbourg on Sunday. The conference took a lot more out of me than I thought it would... The revised plan is now to take a train to Lyon and meet CH a day later than intended. So I still get to do all the fun parts :)

The small bit I did on my bike also demonstrated that my in-sy bag isn't working out very well (it kept slipping down to the point where there part of the bottom is burned through from the wheel), so I need a quick fix for that before the weekend!

• Advertisement

I've just got into the Le Mans and about to have a shower. I've a long one coming up later about yesterday.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 75,318 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I've a long one coming
    Please Captain, spare us this level of detail ...:D

Get on ferry all is good, it's a pleasant crossing, watched Little Fockers in the cinema, plenty of little fockers running around the boat also. Had full Irish on the boat. Arrived into Cherbourg on time at 11h00. Pulled up outside the port did some readjustments and hit the road. The sun is shinning, I pull out my map to see where I'm going, this cute French lady sees me and asks where I'm looking for, I resist the overwhelming urge to say something witty that would get me a slap and I tell her where I am actually looking for, she tells me but I don't find where she's on about, I do find that bastarding hill that leads to the national road, so I decide to take an alternative routing at a casual pace. After casually cycling for a short period, I see signposts for where I want to go, la Glacerie and then Valognes. The route I originally planned was Valognes, Carentan, St. Lo, Vire and Flers, I decided I didn't want to go to Carentan again so I headed towards Periers instead. Coming out of Valognes, I'm going towards national road again I make a turn and hit a piece of road that probably hasn't been done up since before D-Day. I go on a bit, I pass a German cemetary and about 5-10kms down the road it starts to rain, I have to untie my bag and get my jacket which takes ages with all the opening straps and that, further on and it's bucketing down. I stop for water and a sandwich in Periers, I keep going through the horendous rain, through Coutances, after which it lets up for a bit, as in a bit as I'm climbing some hill, I take off my jacket and five minutes later it's back on again. After another heavy section of rain, it stops coming out of Vire. I'm going up a hill when suddenly I feel my rear gear lever loose, ah nuts. It slips off, I put the chain back on and decide to continue in the small ring, I eventually get annoyed at going so slow and move into the middle ring, which makes the chain at the back come out. I pull hard on the cable and push in the derailleur but I can only get it on the small cog. Another couple of kms up the road and it's gone again, I push the derailleur in, accidently push the cable out of the barrel adjuster but notice that derailleur is staying in place, I don't touch it, turn the bike over and head on. I get to Flers just as night is falling, it's ten and a half hours since I started my timer, I feel like complete carp, I go to the hotel address I saved in my phone but there's no hotel, thankfully I remembered seeing a sign for the hotel outside the town and head the direction on it. I get to the hotel and the machine asks me to insert the credit card I made the reservation with, it tells I don't have one, there's also a sign on the door saying the hotel is full, rage is building, I get my reservation number, tap it in and the relief when I finally get to the room. The wifi isn't working but after a laborous 180kms, I couldn't care, I buy a can of coke, chocky biscuits, sponge cake, fruit cake and a hot chocolate and fall directly to sleep.

Woke up around 8h30, couldn't leave early as I needed to buy cable, cutters and a spanner for my freehub, which is loose. Yesterday, I bought a cassette tool to try and tighten the cassette but that wasn't the problem (I would have investigated first but I was wet and just assumed). Instead of a spanner I bought a multitool with various sized yokes on it. The tightening doesn't work either and I still have rattling down there. I change the cable and I'm good to go. The route is up and down like yesterday only with good weather, frequently a few drops of rain fall and at one point it felt like the beginning of a shower but it never materialised. The wind wasn't in my favour and slowed me down a bit. I had a bit of a mickey swinging contest, I'm passing a cross road and there's and older guy there on a race bike with deep section wheels, so he catches up with me, starts chatting, wind is bad etc.... any way he helps me keep my pace up for a bit, I tell him the next town I'm going to and then he says he's taking a left, chicken. When I thought there was going to be a shower I stopped for lunch in La Ferte Mace, had a pizza and coke for a tenner :) which gave me back my energy. Headed onto Javron where I cycled 1km on national road and was reminded why I prefer not to take them, loads of lorries, Sille is next, there's a good bit of a climb before it, head through Conlie next and then I see the sign for the town where my hotel is, St. Saturnin, I search a wee bit for the hotel. I head and have a nice evening meal in a near by restaurant. It took me 7h30 to do 115kms which is half what I have to do tomorrow, so the finger will have to be pulled out. Alarm set for 5h25, breakfast five minutes after that and then I hope to be gone just after six.

I wrote my report on this the evening I finished it but internet crashed and I was too tired to redo it. I woke up and I started out at about 8h00 which was already an hour later than intended. The weather wasn't great and as soon as I started to roll the heavens opened, kept going. In the centre of Le Mans psssss, puncture, I changed that. I decide to skip the start point and find a point on the map where to join the tour route about 5km in. As soon as I get out of Le Mans I decide to pump up my front wheel properly, and then the back one, pssssss, puncture, I wiggled the valve too much. I decide to head to the next town which is around the corner to get some tubes. I ask a guy there and he gives me directions to a Decathlon, I can't find it but I do find a shopping centre at the edge of Le Mans and get tubes in a supermarket. Coming out of the centre, I see a sign saying the road ahead will be closed for the TdF, I follow it and end up at the MMA Arena, where the tour starts the following day. Four hours have passed, it's midday and I've 220kms of cycing ahead of me, gonna need some effort. I see a couple of groups heading off. The one huge bonus for this day is that my whole route is marked, so there'll be no searching of maps. 30kms in, I decide to stop for lunch as it's 13h30 and afterwards, there'll not be a chance of getting anything. Starter, main course, cheese, desert and coffee for €11. I met a couple of older gents there that were doing the course over two days, an hour later I catch up with them and as they're stopped, I also stop to make sure they're OK and they are. The lunch made a huge difference to and I'm starting to motor (not in the Cancellera sense :pac:). The route has a couple of hills but nothing of note, there's a couple of patches of dead road but that's it. The wind is from the side but sometimes in my face and sometimes on my back. There's plenty of nice things up for the tour, a bicycle made from bails of hay must have taken some effort. I'm getting plenty cries of, you're in the lead. At about 17h30, it becomes very evident that todays stage is over as campers with a variety of plates pass and I begin to pass parked campers, there's a kid at one who asks if I'm racing, I tell him I am and he says see you tomorrow, which I thought was cute. With about 75km to go, it's looking like I'll be late, I'm also starting to feel pain, further up and I'm in a world of my own, my legs are turning, maybe fast or maybe slow, it all feels the same, I get some haribos into me, which makes a good difference. I'm just outside Chateauroux when night falls and I put on my red lights. I find my hotel 15 and a half hours after I left with 257kms racked up. I shower, get my meal of vending machine food, write my report and crash dead, I fall asleep with my legs on the back of a chair.

Got up, cycled into Chateauroux, there's plenty of cyclists around. I find a much needed laundrette, there's aussies there, going to their first tour stage. I get close to the finish line, over pay for some food, lock the bike up and take position. I get chatting to a guy, he's following the tour for the first week, he's followed the full tour a couple of times but can't anymore with work, he always gets a place near the big screen. He's part of why the tour is a bit special, why people follow it, there's a certain ambiance, seeing different parts of France but with a familiarity. This familiarity is backed up by the joking that goes between some of the fans and some of the promotional staff, they see each other every day. I'm 215m from the end, as the day goes on the temperature rises. The screen shows the race coming in, you can hear people saying, they're here, they're there, they're outside someone's house. I get my tricolour out, doubt it'll get noticed but anyway. It's all set up for Cav, from the beginning of the day and when Farrar fell behind, it increased this even more, so no shock when he won. One thing I didn't think would happen was they would get in about quarter to six, I was sure it'd be a quick stage. I had planned to be cycling in the dark, even if the tour got in early. I somehow wanted to get to Montlucon quickly, it's 100km away. I get out of Chateauroux at 18h30, the traffic is heavy and I take advantage, for 50km the traffic is jumpy, caused by villages and a tractor, which I stay behind for 5+km. My buddy from earlier sees me and beeps, he's moving slowly so we have a bit of a chat. I pass the Leopard hotel but don't get to say hello, I'm in head down mode. The road surface is the most perfect I've ever rolled on, I'm getting fantastic speed in, making good time on any descents, if there's roads in heaven, this is how they're surfaced. I get into the Etap in Montlucon four hours after I started which is impressive, considering that includes my searching for the way out of Chateauroux and looking for the Etap, the only problem is I'm staying at the F1, so I have to go searching again. Montlucon looks like a lovely town, very old.

Well, day one did not go so well. Not at all. The plan was to arrive in Lyon via train at around19.30 and then roll on out to the hotel. This did not happen. I arrived about 90 mins late, still with my bike to build and the hotel to find

Lyon is a hard place to get out of. Even with the aid of GPS, it took me about an hour to reach the edge of the city, still with 20 km to travel, by which time it was pretty much dark. On with the lights and I press on. After about a half hour of this, I regretted not taking my fenix with me. Especially when it started to flicker later on. I arrived at the hotel at around 23.30, totally knackered and more than a bit strung out. Not a good start.

Today went a lot better. Out early and we got a rental car and rocked on down towards Bourg d'Oisins. We parked up on the back road of l'Alpe (i've simplified this greatly. There is a village there which, along with Lyon, we have sworn to never visit again). We decided to cycle around the mountain and cheer on the participants doing the Etape. Of course, since we happened to be there with bikes, we pressed on upwards. Fortunately, we were already half way up, so there was only about 5.5 km of climbing to do. I felt a bit bad about passing the people on the climb, since I have done a lot less cycling in the last two days than they had done so far today... But oh well. I shouted encouragement at any irish jerseys I saw. Fair play to those that did it!

We're cracking on bright and early tomorrow morning to st. Jean de Maurienne, which is about 145 km or so. We should get in before the end of the tour stage, so we'll hopefully get to see some of it. Tomorrow is the first real day of my trip, so i'm looking forward to it :-)

I will get up to speed on these, it's just writting on the mobile is a pain. After my feel good effort to Montlucon, it's back to hard slogging. Todays route sees me leave the beautiful town of Montlucon, down to Vichy and onto Roanne. The day kicks off with a fairly big but gradual climb. The weather is nice but quickly changes to rain. I stop for lunch in a place that gets 10/10 for food but 0/10 for service, I'm in there for almost two hours, which has me raging as I need time. I decided to go to Vichy as I thought I'd be annoyed with myself if I didn't. Vichy is OK, wasn't overawed. Next I look at the route from Vichy to Roanne, there's a town on the way called Chatel-en-Montagne, the "montagne" part sticks out to me. The weather has changed again for my climb to good, then back to wet for the last few. The Col de la Croix du Sud is about 775m high and the decent off it is awesome with nice bends. I get into Roanne not too late for once, I find the hotel easy enough. Looking forward to one last day of cycling before I rest my tiring legs.

We've had to abandon our attempt to climb the Col de l'Iseran today, there's a thunder storm here and we've deemed it impassible. We're just at the foot of the Madeleine in Lanslebourg and we intend to cycle to Geneva tomorrow (220km)

After a horrible first day (though a great second day at l'Alpe), the first day of proper cycling kicked off. The plan was to set off early, and roll into St. Jean de Maurienne by 4.30 to watch the stage finish. Needless to say, things did not go according to plan. Owing to extraordinary delays at the restaurant, we had to fix up the bikes the morning, then drop the van back and then get rolling for 130 km, hopping over the Col de l'Epine.

We didn't get cycling until 10, and then spent a while getting a map and faffing about with our route for the day. This was followed by some prolonged climbing, descending, climbing... We tried to stop around Lac for lunch, but the prices were a bit much, so we pushed on to the nearest town.... which turned out not to be a town and only had a church and a fouintain. Which meant we'd wated about a half hour climbing up to it, only to descend to the next place, which had great pizza.

After sitting around maybe a few mins too long, we made for the col. We arranged to head over and down at our own pace and pass through the city of Chambery to meet on the far side. This was fine. I went up in about 45 mins, then rolled down and straight through the city. Unfortunately, there were some navigation eorros which cost us a bit of time at this point. We eventually left just after 7, with 70 km to cover to the hotel. Since it gets dark at 10ish, this left us with little time for hanging around.

Fortunately, this section was all on a decent road, with a downhill slope, so we made good time, pushing over 35 km/hr for the first while. Until a one inch nail found its way into my tyre. Swap the tube, pump with CO2, pop the wheel back in, *BOOM*. New tube popped :-( swap second tube and pump by hand. Back rolling again, now losing time. We hit into team time trial mode, hammering away in the drops for the next hour or so. We decide to take it down a notch, since we had a long day, and would have a long one the next day, so we roll on for another while.

Eventually, we come along inside 20 km to the hotel and take the speed right down. We're starting to lose some daylight, so the lights go on. The road is very quiet as we're right beside the motorway, so it's not too bad. We roll in at the hotel just before 10, which is apparently when reception closes. It got dark about 15 mins later.

It was a pretty tough day all round, with a lot of climbing. The Epine was about 7-8 km long, I think, with a gradient between 8 and 10 percent for most of it. We assured ourselves that nothing could go wrong today, as it's all on the one road, then up the col d'Iseran, then down and finished. Oh hah.

Highlight of the day: pizza from a vending machine at the hotel. I kid you not. It was actually decent, too.

Lowlight: having to TTT most of the way to the hotel. Not fun.

Tomorrow's update will be just as fun as this, I promise :-D

• Advertisement

We've had to abandon our attempt to climb the Col de l'Iseran today, there's a thunder storm here and we've deemed it impassible.
    You need one of these BM140-aaSharkCageBike.jpg
    and to HTFU obvio :pac:

I tried to persuade the captain to add it to his mobile tool shop (now complete with truing stand!), but he wasn't having any of it.

Lemag wrote: »
    You need one of these BM140-aaSharkCageBike.jpg
    and to HTFU obvio :pac:

I asked Coronal to have them play AC/DC at my funeral if I did die from being hit by lightening.

I asked Coronal to have them play AC/DC at my funeral if I did die from being hit by lightening.
    'Thunderstruck' by any chance?

That bike is backwards.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Lemag wrote: »
    'Thunderstruck' by any chance?
    <br />
    <br />
    Yes, if I die go over the Iseran maybe they could play the Supremes, ain't no mountain high enough.

Epic

Epic

From Latin epicus, from Ancient Greek ἐπικός (epikos), from ἔπος (epos, “word, story”).

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

Succinct and to the point...

• Advertisement

cdaly_ wrote: »
    Succinct and to the point...

:D

Genealogy Forum Mod

Advertisement