Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Padraig Harrington.....2015 Honda Classic Champion

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 904 ✭✭✭realgolfgeek

good start, birdied the first.
    If he can avoid a 7 on the card he may have a chance at a top 10.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,557 ✭✭✭sydneybound

Bang... Just had a bogey then double on the back nine just when I thought he would come good!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

I thought he would come good!

Why were you thinking this (as opposed to hoping, which is reasonable ?

Isnt
    Bang...a bogey then double
    simply more likely than not these days?

Almaviva wrote: »
    Why were you thinking this (as opposed to hoping, which is reasonable ?

Isnt simply more likely than not these days?

He went out in 33 in the top 15 and looking good, another 2 shots would have given him a top 10 finish.

That's two days in a row he dropped 3 shots in the space of 2/3 holes with a bogey and double.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

That's two days in a row he dropped 3 shots in the space of 2/3 holes with a bogey and double.

Thats my point. He is pretty reliable to do that this year.
    Just wondering in general: what proportion of his rounds (or even back nines) this year have been double bogey free ?

• Advertisement

Almaviva wrote: »
    Thats my point. He is pretty reliable to do that this year.
    Just wondering in general: what proportion of his rounds (or even back nines) this year have been double bogey free ?

Don't have the stats, would have to go into each of his events on the Europen & US tour websites to do that but seems to happen very often. As a supporter you get carried away and think, well maybe more hope, this won't happen to him but nearly every round that matters it does, like today when he could have moved up the leader board on a Sunday.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,718 ✭✭✭abff

Very disappointing finish. Doesn't even pick up any world ranking points, so he'll fall further down the rankings.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,843 ✭✭✭Jimdagym

abff wrote: »
    Very disappointing finish. Doesn't even pick up any world ranking points, so he'll fall further down the rankings.

Why not?

Jimdagym wrote: »
    Why not?

It's to do with how the World Rankings work. Each event gets a rating based on the strength of field. Most of the points that determine the strength of field rating are based on players' positions in the OWGR, but some of the points are based on the top 30 in the previous year's order of merit for the particular tour.

Eurpoean Tour events have a minimum ranking of 24, but my reckoning based on the field for this event is that the winner will get 30 OWGR points. There's a table for allocating points for other positions, with a cut off of 1.2 OWGR points. In a tournament where the winner gets 30 OWGR points, players receive points down as far as 35th and ties.

Harrington finished on 4 under, which left him tied 41st. 5 under would have put him in a tie for 34th and he would have picked up just over 1.2 OWGR points. If he had completed the last 9 holes in level par, he would have earned 2.85 OWGR points.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

Out of 4 rounds Padraig had one very good round &, given the scoring, 3 mediocre ones, but people here reacted after that one round as if this was proof he was right back to the top. Somebody even posted that they were off out Friday night to celebrate!

In a sense that kind of wild over-reaction shows how far off the top Harrington is. That's the same kind of unrealistic thinking as the "Just need to find the right gimmick and all will be well" - and so there's a kind of dwelling in fantasy rather than a grounded realism from which to build. Just rein in the enthusiasm a bit & hopefully let him climb back upwards steadily. It'd be great for him to win, but for now it looks far from realistic, & just a few decent results would be a start.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

why are people expecting anything different? When was the last time Paddy seriously threathened the top of the leaderboard for any more than a brief moment before he either blows up or fails to maintain the standard.

He had a lucky 18 months where everything he touched seemed to work. But its clear now that that was abnormal whilst he has now reverted to normal.
    I'm not saying he is bad, but he is a mid ranking journeyman who got lucky and is now given far more coverage and optimism than his level warrants.

pelevin wrote: »
    Out of 4 rounds Padraig had one very good round &, given the scoring, 3 mediocre ones, but people here reacted after that one round as if this was proof he was right back to the top. Somebody even posted that they were off out Friday night to celebrate!

In a sense that kind of wild over-reaction shows how far off the top Harrington is. That's the same kind of unrealistic thinking as the "Just need to find the right gimmick and all will be well" - and so there's a kind of dwelling in fantasy rather than a grounded realism from which to build. Just rein in the enthusiasm a bit & hopefully let him climb back upwards steadily. It'd be great for him to win, but for now it looks far from realistic, & just a few decent results would be a start.

It's good to see a reasoned response from the "doubters". There seems to be a huge schism on this thread between those (like myself) who believe (or maybe at this stage, just hope) that he will recover at least some of his previous glory and those who seem to take pleasure in his misfortune and gleefully have a go at the diehard fans whenever another disaster befalls him.

The only thing I'd say by way of rebuttal is that PH himself is probably more realistic about his prospects, while still retaining a belief that he can continue to challenge and that he will eventually turn the corner. If he loses that belief, he may as well hang up his clubs, which I for one hope won't happen for a long time yet.

Leroy42 wrote: »
    why are people expecting anything different? When was the last time Paddy seriously threathened the top of the leaderboard for any more than a brief moment before he either blows up or fails to maintain the standard.

He had a lucky 18 months where everything he touched seemed to work. But its clear now that that was abnormal whilst he has now reverted to normal.
    I'm not saying he is bad, but he is a mid ranking journeyman who got lucky and is now given far more coverage and optimism than his level warrants.

This, on the other hand, is the type of negative, disparaging comment that drives me mad. To describe Padraig as a mid ranking journeyman is just the sort of snide, miserable comment that makes me sometimes despair of my fellow countrymen.

Unfortunately, begrudgery is still alive and thriving in Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭pelevin

abff wrote: »
    This, on the other hand, is the type of negative, disparaging comment that drives me mad. To describe Padraig as a mid ranking journeyman is just the sort of snide, miserable comment that makes me sometimes despair of my fellow countrymen.

Unfortunately, begrudgery is still alive and thriving in Ireland.

Reacting here to your earlier response too. Maybe for now I could be called a doubter, but as recent as the last Ryder Cup in a bet I had Harrington part of my 12 to make the side - maybe more out of struggling for the last player or two than expectation but I'm far from being against Padraig in any way.

As for the post here you're responding to - Harrington was never an ordinary journeyman. His ratio of top 10s to tournaments played was incredibly high over a long period, & the effort to write him off as always in truth a mediocrity is a bad joke that just reflects on the poster.

pelevin wrote: »
    Reacting here to your earlier response too. Maybe for now I could be called a doubter, but as recent as the last Ryder Cup in a bet I had Harrington part of my 12 to make the side - maybe more out of struggling for the last player or two than expectation but I'm far from being against Padraig in any way.

As for the post here you're responding to - Harrington was never an ordinary journeyman. His ratio of top 10s to tournaments played was incredibly high over a long period, & the effort to write him off as always in truth a mediocrity is a bad joke that just reflects on the poster.

Apologies for referring to you as a "doubter". I'm struggling to maintain the faith myself, but PH is my all time favourite sportsman and I would just love to see him back in the winners circle.

Having said that, he's already had a career that most sportsman can only dream of. 28 wins world wide, including 3 majors, 11 other European Tour wins, 2 other PGA Tour wins and a World Cup. He is 4th in the all time money list on the European Tour with official earnings of €23.7m.

To describe him as a journeyman defies belief.

• Registered Users Posts: 15 shannonterese

I've just heard on the grapevine that Padraic's seriously thinking of asking Bob Torrance to help him again. That would be a good move. I do hope Mr Torrance accepts.

Just read on twitter that Bjorne had 22 birdies this week. Paddy had 21.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,485 ✭✭✭✭Leroy42

it's not negative, just based on facts.

I should have phrased it better. No doubt PH was a high level golfer. Best in the world, no, but certainly in the top echelons.

Good enough to be a 3 time major winner, well results say yes but as I opinioned I believe he hit an incredible period, one that will never be repeated.

his resukts since then have been that of a journeyman, so to phrase it better he is now no more than a journeyman.

To continue to have blind faith based on results garnered years ago, and now being faced with a larger top field rather than just Tiger and the rest, is simply....well blind faith.

It's nothing to do with begrudgery, he should be applauded for what he achieved but its current results that count.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,143 ✭✭✭Benny Cake

Amazing stat! He needs to cut out the brain farts if he's gonna improve...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,736 ✭✭✭ssbob

I've just heard on the grapevine that Padraic's seriously thinking of asking Bob Torrance to help him again. That would be a good move. I do hope Mr Torrance accepts.

I think his swing is much better since working with Pete Cowan but his short game is the issue, was Bob Torrance a coach on this aswell? Maybe he could use both?

The 16th hole was a disaster for Paddy this week, had 3 bogies and a double!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭murphdogg11

PH finished in 41st place and 16 shots behind the winner. He was well placed after 2 rounds so finishing that far down the field is really poor.

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

It has to be in his head at this stage, just a lack of belief, I'm not sure how he can turn it around.

Down near the end of the field at the moment on +3 after 11 holes of the KLM Open. +4 for the last 2 holes!

Down near the end of the field at the moment on +3 after 11 holes of the KLM Open. +4 for the last 2 holes!

And 2 great birdies to finish +1. G'wan Paddy.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 7,190 Mod ✭✭✭✭charlieIRL

I see he's ditched the belly putter again and is looking much slimmer.

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭Deplasterer

Was very unlucky on 10, Wet face on driver skewed ball, but then went on to compound error. did miss a lot of fairways back 9 though, but there's a good score in him on this course I feel.

Was very unlucky on 10, Wet face on driver skewed ball, but then went on to compound error. did miss a lot of fairways back 9 though, but there's a good score in him on this course I feel.

Hopefully it will come tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,068 ✭✭✭bigtimecharlie

Delighted to see his birdie, birdie finish. Has to get under par tomorrow, early start at 8:25.

Started bogey bogey eagle today!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭GS11

charlieIRL wrote: »
    I see he's ditched the belly putter again and is looking much slimmer.

But what shoes was he wearing?, thats the big question.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement