Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

[Tournament] [25-27/02/11] World Game Cup 2011, Cannes - France

Options
  • 03-09-2010 4:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭

World Game Cup 2011

4th Edition – Palais des Festivals de Cannes

February 25-27, 2011

Our Concept:

Set in the heart of "The Festival International des Jeux" (The International Games Festival), in the world renown "Palais des Festivals de Cannes", The World Game Cup is The World Championship of Fighting Games. A place where the best fighters from all five continents will face each other for three days of fierce competition.

After a 2010 Edition acclaimed by both the press and the public, the World Game Cup is back with an even more fun and spectacular program.

The Official Games in Competition in the 2011 Edition:

CONSOLE TOURNAMENTS
    (Only on XBOX 360 systems)

- Super Street Fighter IV, Solo, Team 3vs3 & Master Series
    - Soulcalibur IV, Solo, Team 3vs3 & Master Series
    - Tekken 6, Solo & Team 2vs2
    - Blazblue Continuum Shift, Solo & Team 2vs2

ARCADE TOURNAMENTS
    (Only on arcade cabinets, with our partners Versus Dojo & Games Spirit)

- Street Fighter III Third Strike, Solo & Team 2vs2
    - The King Of Fighters XIII Solo
    - The King Of Fighters 2002 UM Solo
    - Super Street Fighter 2X Solo
    - Guilty Gear XX Accent Core Solo

The World Team Cup 2011:

More than an open tournament, the World Game Cup is an opportunity to witness an incredible show: The first worldwide fighting game competition with national teams!

After a 2010 Edition focusing on Soulcalibur IV (Team France won the tournament!), the World Team Cup is back with one more game:

World Team Cup Super Street Fighter IV
    World Team Cup Soulcalibur IV
    Note : Compettions reserved to national teams

New in the 2011 Edition:

The World Game Cup village is expanding, with a real arcade zone, a casual play section and a press section.

In the same spirit, the three stages will host various shows:

The «*Main Stage*» for the final stages of the console competitions and the World Team Cup.
    The «*Round Stage*» to ensure everyone gets to see the best of the qualification phases of the console tournaments.
    The «*Arcade Stage*» for the new arcade tournaments!

And last but not least, our streaming feed will mark the online first of the World Game Cup, to offer even more entertainment for the public & garner an even larger audience with those who couldn't make the trip.

The rules & regulations of the tournaments, detailed schedule, dotations and cash-prizes will be announced in early October with the opening of the registations and the second press release.

Info, Registration, Schedule:
    Welcome to The World Game Cup.Com • Portal

French Language Website:
    WORLD GAME CUP.FR • Portal

World Game Cup Forums:
    GNOUZ FORUM ™ • Voir le forum - International Forum

Videos Archives from the Past Editions:
    Welcome to The World Game Cup.Com • Portal

Press Review 2010:
    GNOUZ FORUM ™ • Afficher le sujet - Revue de Presse version 1.0

Comments

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

You'd better post in this thread again, or I am going to delete this thread as spam, op, becuase I've seen you doing it in other forums and it's not allowed here.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭kurama_tengu

No sweat man, I'll be here to answer questions if needed, that's the whole point really.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

It's the week after my birthday. I wonder if I can arrange to get a trip over as a birthday present.

I enjoyed last year and it sounds bigger and better this year. Couple of questions.

Is it in the same place as last year?
    Will there be consoles available for casual play? Last year there wasn't much room for sitting down at a console and playing casually, especially if you weren't signed up for a tournament.

I don't know if I'll be travelling much as I want to go to EVO next year and that's going to be very expensivo.

Orim wrote: »
    Is it in the same place as last year?
    Will there be consoles available for casual play? Last year there wasn't much room for sitting down at a console and playing casually, especially if you weren't signed up for a tournament.

Yes, it's in the same place (Le Palais des Festivals de Cannes) and the two same residences (hotels) will be available to book.

A casual play section has indeed been added & will be run by local players.
    We also created a thread especially for casuals to help player find a fine place at night:
    http://www.gnouz-corporation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=1169

• Moderators Posts: 5,554 ✭✭✭Azza

I probably be up going for this, if a few others are.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,302 ✭✭✭Voa

I'd...be fairly up for this, actually. Get my French up, and check out the BB scene over there at the same time.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭Ramza

I'd definitely be up for this. 3s and BB sounds promising ^^

• Registered Users Posts: 4,229 ✭✭✭Dreddybajs

This sounds sick, honestly I probably wouldn't have gone if it was the same setup as last year, but all these additions are making me really want to.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,237 ✭✭✭Owwmykneecap

The only reason i wasn't at cannes was because I'd lost my passport. personally i blame mossad.
    Anyway now i have one again and all other things being equal, i will be going no mistake

What was the figure for the Cannes lads last time?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭Orim

IIRC it was about :
    €150 for flights
    €80 a head for hotel

Can't remember what the tournament cost was. €20 for entry and €10 a tournament seems to be about right.

Food could be dealt with cheaply enough if you wanted.

Huh, that's pretty damn good. I assume you guys were there for the whole event so?

Actually there never was an entry fee, the Festival International des Jeux (International Games Festival) is a free event. The "new" price per tournament will be in the second press release, in October: Stay Tuned ^^.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

Thanks for hanging around.

I'm going to be there anyway, as I was this year.

If you don't mind me asking, how did you find out about our forum?
    Did you meet the Irish players at cannes last year?

I did meet a few Irish players, but I'm mostly just the guy who did the press review (some of you guys are even quoted in it). I've read almost everything that's been written about the WGC 2010, in four languages.

http://www.gnouz-corporation.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=223&t=1162

Ahh very interesting. thanks.
    I love choppers quote.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

Quite enjoyed Cannes, & will defo go again. Need to Improve on 7th place in BB.

• Registered Users Posts: 550 ✭✭✭chueytoo

Would love to go^^ sounds fun

• Registered Users Posts: 599 ✭✭✭FoamyMushroom

Im defo going this time, by the sounds of it last year was amazing >.<

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,703 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

Subscribed.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,979 ✭✭✭✭chopperbyrne

Best start saving for this and Evo so.

Petition to rename it the Cannes Fighting Festival starting now...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,020 ✭✭✭Ry

Cannes was so good I would go again if anything for the Hotel Sessions! It was pretty well run too so I'm sure they would only have improved on that from experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 396 ✭✭chunkis

There is a tournament in switzerland a week before the cannes event that mago and team EG are suposed to be attending, so that might be the event to go to instead of cannes. But the WGC event is looking very good so far, its going to have an international 5 vs 5 event thats definitely worth attending.

Other events to look out for are

Dreamhack 25th-28th November
    Switzerland (beat by) 19th -20th February
    Cannes 25th - 27th February
    Stunfest march/april (sbo qualifiers sf4/3s) TBA

We're also working on our list of "worthy opponents" Chunkis, don't worry for us ^^.

More seriously, we won't get into an open guest war with Beat By Contest, obviously... Announcing people without having even bought a plane ticket would be pretty dumb, we'll get there when we're sure!

The Website has been updated with the dates & rules

Tournaments' Schedule:

Friday February the 25th

Console Zone:

Super Street Fighter IV - Team 3vs3
    Soulcalibur IV - Team 3vs3
    BlazBlue: Continuum Shift - Team 2vs2
    Tekken 6 - Team 2vs2

Super Street Fighter IV - MASTER SERIES

Arcade Zone:

Super Street Fighter 2X
    Guilty Gear XX Accent Core

Saturday February the 26th

Console Zone:

Soulcalibur IV - Solo
    BlazBlue: Continuum Shift - Solo
    Tekken 6 - Solo

World Team Cup of Super Street Fighter IV

Arcade Zone:

Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - God Of FIGHT
    Street Fighter III: 3rd Strike - Team 2vs2

Sunday February the 27th

Console Zone:

Super Street Fighter IV - Solo

World Team Cup of Soulcalibur IV

Arcade Zone:

The King Of Fighters 2002 UM
    The King Of Fighters XIII

The detailed schedule is coming soon!

After many heated discussions, we finally decided to follow the general opinion trend (and the public opinion through the poll).

We hesitated a lot with an "updated" version of the EVO rules, but stayed faithful to our French Tradition in the end!

The rules below only apply to the console tournaments (WORLD TEAM CUP tournaments excluded as we already stated in the corresponding sections). The rules & regulations of the arcade tournaments will be announced later this week.

SOLO CONSOLE TOURNAMENTS FORMAT:

For the solo tourneys, the qualifier phase will be played in POOLS, just like last year. It will be pools of 4 or 8 players, according to the size of the tournament:

- Tournament of 32 players: 8 pools of 4 players - 2/3 matches per set - 2 qualifiers per pool.
    - Tournament of 64 players: 8 pools of 8 players - 1 match per set - 4 qualifiers per pool.
    - Tournament of 128 players: 16 pools of 8 players - 1 match per set - 2 qualifiers per pool.
    - Tournament of 256 players: 32 pools of 8 players - 1 match per set - 2 qualifiers per pool.

For each tournament, the exact number of pools & players will be announced at the end of January, when the final number of registered players will be known.

All the qualifier phases of the solo tournaments will be played with double elimination rules:

- 2/3 matches per set until the finals (played in 3/5 sets)

CONSOLE TOURNAMENTS FORMAT FOR THE MASTER SERIES:

- Tournament of MAXIMUM 128 players - Single elimination with sets of 2/3 matches - Finals played in 3/5 sets.

TEAM CONSOLE TOURNAMENTS FORMAT:

All of Friday's team tourneys will follow the same rules & regulations:

Team tournaments are played with the "Team Battle Relay" rules:

- Single elimination team sets, during the whole tournament.

- Opened to all teams (teams can mix nationalities)
    - 3 players per team
    - Before each bout, the two captains play a game of Rock-Paper-Scissors:
    >>> The LOSING captain must announce his/her first player. The WINNING captain can then choose who he/she wants to face him/her.
    >>> After that the winner of the match stays, and the loser's team can choose who they want to face him/her, and so on...

PLEASE NOTE:

As all registrations will now be made Online, the tournaments will begin earlier in the morning (don't be late!).
    As a result, the pools will be drawn in early February (with seeded players).
    This draw will affect all the console tournaments : solo, team, master series and world team cup events.

The draw of The World Game Cup tournaments will be filmed & available as a Online Stream on the Website.

Consequently, players will be able to check their pools and competitors (& their characters) before the tournaments!

Good Luck Everyone!

The info has been translated & implemented into the website, but is yet to be updated, please bear with us...

3rd Strike.
    On cabinets.

I MUST ATTEND!!

Team and Solo BB comps. Niiiiiiice.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,587 ✭✭✭Xinkai

A bit early, but are any BBCS players definatly going to W(F)GC in Feb? Anyone interested in BBCS 2v2 teams?

• Advertisement

Xinkai wrote: »
    A bit early, but are any BBCS players definatly going to W(F)GC in Feb? Anyone interested in BBCS 2v2 teams?
    I haven't trained in a while. Must do so again.

Learn Mu-12.

We can be the NO FEET!! Murakumo Brothers!

Advertisement