Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Red Squirrel

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,458 ✭✭✭ppink

I was looking at this thread thinking to myself that i would probably never see a red squirrel in the wild...but I was wrong:D:D
    one ran out in front of my jeep yesterday and i got such a fright, lucky i did not run him over:eek:.
    Now the challenge will be to see him again. Any tips for that? I must read up on them a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,560 ✭✭✭✭Kess73

I think I have mentioned it already in this thread, but anyone in the Limerick/Clare/North Kerry etc area that wants to see red squirrels on a regular basis should go to the little nature park/walk just outside of Foynes in county Limerick.

It is just outside Foynes port on the right hand side as you leave Foynes and head towards Loughill/Glin/Tarbert on the N69.

It is a lovely little walk/park that has an amazing amount of wildlife in it for such a small site, and it has some great views across the Shannon estuary. Defo a good spot for anyone who wants to bring a camera. Plus it gets a lot of walkers/twitchers/shutterbugs passing through it so it is a safe area.

• Registered Users Posts: 276 ✭✭cscook

How lovely to see those photos. I remember when there were more reds than greys in the Botanic Gardens, sigh...We were so happy to see several red squirrels around one of the camp sites we stayed in in France last month - a real treat.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 48,494 CMod ✭✭✭✭magicbastarder

views expressed in this article are not necessarily the views of the poster:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/24/grey-squirrels-red-killing-conservation

• Registered Users Posts: 9,645 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

views expressed in this article are not necessarily the views of the poster:

http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/2011/oct/24/grey-squirrels-red-killing-conservation

Not a very well researched article:rolleyes: - grey squirrels are an agressive non-native species that have pushed back native Reds where ever they have come in contact. It is no accident that Reds are making a recovery where ever Grey's have been culled or pushed back by the return of native predators like Pine Martins and various raptors. Another point is that poisoning of squirrels is illegal in the UK and in this country, so culling campaigns are typically done by trapping and air-rifles.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 13,993 ✭✭✭✭recedite

Another Guardian article here
    suggesting that immunity to a virus might allow reds to live alongside greys. Most probably the reds would be more successful in coniferous forests and pine marten areas, and the greys would stick to parks, gardens and broadleaf forest areas. IMO human society will eventually accept this as the new reality.
    BTW I don't see any great push to wipe out all the "non native" trees such as spruce, fir, and beech that the squirrels are living in.

recedite wrote: »
    Another Guardian article here
    suggesting that immunity to a virus might allow reds to live alongside greys. Most probably the reds would be more successful in coniferous forests and pine marten areas, and the greys would stick to parks, gardens and broadleaf forest areas. IMO human society will eventually accept this as the new reality.
    BTW I don't see any great push to wipe out all the "non native" trees such as spruce, fir, and beech that the squirrels are living in.

I think its a case of rating and tackling non-native species based on their impacts on native ecosytems. Thats why the likes of Rhododeron and mink eradication should be given highest priority.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

Are red squirrels living in the coniferous forests though? Is anything? They're more or less ecological deserts, the trees are too close together for anything else to thrive in there.

Mickeroo wrote: »
    Are red squirrels living in the coniferous forests though? Is anything? They're more or less ecological deserts, the trees are too close together for anything else to thrive in there.

It depends how closed the canopy is. Open woods of pine and spruce can support a number of species like squirrels and certain birds which would be the case on a larger scale in there native lands. However the industrial massed ranks of commercial sitka spruce plantation are more or less biodiversity deserts:(

Mickeroo wrote: »
    the trees are too close together for anything else to thrive in there.
    the young trees are, but mature conifer is more open; reds eat the cones. Our native conifer is Scots Pine, probably red's most natural habitat.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,163 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

recedite wrote: »
    the young trees are, but mature conifer is more open; reds eat the cones. Our native conifer is Scots Pine, probably red's most natural habitat.

Ah yea I know that, I was thinking more of the Coillte Sitka Spruce/Lodgepole Pine/Larch plantations, they're a complete eyesore IMO, more down to the planting than the trees themselves. Mature Scots Pine forests are beautiful though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭Quiet you

There I was today waiting to see what type of bird it was making noise in the bush outside my house when a red squirrel jumped out. Cheeky little fella wasn't bothered at all by being so close to me.

I think he must have been in there because I've taken to hiding bird feeders in small dense bushes to give the smaller birds a chance because of the roving bands of magpie thugs.

Anybody any ideas of what would be best to put out for him? I checked the feeders and I figure he's fond of peanuts but is there anything better for him?

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Rainbowsend

They love hazelnuts :)

Peanuts are quality food.... but why not try any "halloween" type mixed nuts.

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

Mothman wrote: »
    Squirrel Pox in Northern Ireland

Any confirmed outbreaks in the south?

UCD Veterinary School have confirmed that a Red Squirrel found recently near Hollywood in Wicklow died from Parapox virus.

Anyone in the area who has Red Squirrels coming to their bird feeders should consider removing them as the virus can be transmitted through saliva.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 mecksimay

Where did you get this info?

• Registered Users Posts: 334 ✭✭F.R.

mecksimay wrote: »
    Where did you get this info?

A friend in UCD.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 211 ✭✭googsy

F.R. wrote: »
    UCD Veterinary School have confirmed that a Red Squirrel found recently near Hollywood in Wicklow died from Parapox virus.

Anyone in the area who has Red Squirrels coming to their bird feeders should consider removing them as the virus can be transmitted through saliva.

Who taught up the name for this parapox virus... sounds like something outta Podge & Rodge sorry

• Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Some of you might remember I got pine marten's using a feeder I put up early on this year, would this put off red squirrels from using the feeder. I read that marten's don't prey on reds but do kill grey squirrels, Is that because red's know to keep there distances from martens I wonder.

mgwhelan wrote: »
    Some of you might remember I got pine marten's using a feeder I put up early on this year, would this put off red squirrels from using the feeder. I read that marten's don't prey on reds but do kill grey squirrels, Is that because red's know to keep there distances from martens I wonder.

Its because Reds are much more agile then Grey's, and also spend less time on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 328 ✭✭mgwhelan

Birdnuts wrote: »
    Its because Reds are much more agile then Grey's, and also spend less time on the ground.

So do you think the squirrels wont use the feeder if they get the smell of martens on it.

mgwhelan wrote: »
    So do you think the squirrels wont use the feeder if they get the smell of martens on it.

They'd be a bit more wary with a predator around(same for any other species), but like birds, as the weather gets harder, hunger will keep them coming to a handy source of food:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,498 ✭✭✭Mothman

I saw a couple Red Squirrels in a wood near Stradbally Co. Laois on Sunday last.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,512 ✭✭✭Ellis Dee

I've seen red squirrels in Emo Forest, Co. Laois (but not lately), also in Rockfield Wood near Killenard. I once saw a pine marten in Emo Forest when my dog ran it up an isolated tree, but that was about 15 years ago.:)

If you really desperately want to see red squirrels, go to Helsinki and take a walk through the main cemetery. There are hundreds of them there and they will eat peanuts from your hand (careful, though, they sometimes bite) or climb up your clothes and take them from your shoulder if you stand still. They are very territorial. Start feeding one along a pathway and throw peanuts down a few metres to attract another fellow and soon they will be dashing and cursing at each other. There are no grey squirrels in Finland.:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭cuddlycavies

You will always see them in Lord Massey's wood if you take a 30 minute walk and and keep quiet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Is there a group out there who are involved in re introducing reds to woodlands that they used to be in?

homerhop wrote: »
    Is there a group out there who are involved in re introducing reds to woodlands that they used to be in?

Yes - though I can't think of their name ATM:(

PS: I saw some of the Reds they re-intorduced into Belleek wood just outside Ballina - last I heard they were breeding well and the population was expanding:)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,878 ✭✭✭whyulittle

This episode of Living the Wildlife dealt with moving Reds from one forest to another.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭Deer Hunter DL

muckish wrote: »
    I've always heard anecdotily that there are no squirrels in Co.Donegal, that the Foyle/Finn rivers was traditionally a barrier for them to pass over from the woods of Derry etc. I know there have been sightings in the County but does anyone know where? I would love to try and photograph them. Does anyone have any ideas of the numbers in the County? Are they reds or greys etc?

I have seen red squirrels outside donegal town in Lough Eske mate and my dad has seen them in the drimarone area outside donegal town and crossing the road out of a forest near the blue stacks , pm me if i can help you with anything

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 17 Calochortus

Advertisement