Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Samsung Europa/i5550/Galaxy 5

Options
  • 02-09-2010 1:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭

This little fella just appeared on Meteor PAYG - https://store.meteor.ie/phones/samsung_europa/#what-you-get-tab

Wifi, GPS, Android 2.1, capacitive screen.
    The screen may be a little small at 2.8" and 240x320.
    Other than that it sounds like a pretty sweet phone for 140€.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 FireHydrant

It does look sweet alright... Way cheaper than any android equivalent

• Registered Users Posts: 2,221 ✭✭✭RichyX

Just realised the camera could be a bit rubbish.
    2MP but no auto focus.
    Could be a blessing though, my first camera phone was the most fun because there were no delays before a shot, it was a good little snapper.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

state of it

i dont see the point in cheap mobiles having a decent os as it will limit user experience of what the OS can really do and more than likely make the person scared of ever going towards that os again

state of it

i dont see the point in cheap mobiles having a decent os as it will limit user experience of what the OS can really do and more than likely make the person scared of ever going towards that os again

Not everyone wants to spend 300€+ on a top of the line mobile phone.
    I'd be happy to pay half that on a phone with 95% of the capability, which the Samsung Europa seems to be.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

I think entry level Android Phones to be a good idea.
    I got the LG Otimus and while being a great phone it has opened me up to the market place and the wonderful range of different things Android can do. I think it's an ideal way to get people interested in Google's OS and possibly people will in future spend the €300 on a top level smart phone, I know I will.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,820 ✭✭✭floggg

6mb internal memory? Unless that is a typo, this renders the phone almost useless for apps etc, which is the whole point of an Android smart phone.

floggg wrote: »
    6mb internal memory? Unless that is a typo, this renders the phone almost useless for apps etc, which is the whole point of an Android smart phone.

Samsung's site says 140MB, gsmarena says 170MB, Phonearena says 100MB.

which bring this phone to the x worst point of android to this phone

no apps on sd card without the phone being rooted...

on top of that some games wont be playable on it due to the fact that its a low end phone...dont get me wrong i don't say its a bad thing that their bringing this out as i know not everyone can go 300+ on a phone...

but was just making a point that a powerful os on a low end phone could leave the experience sour...

• Registered Users Posts: 26 mclovin.

floggg wrote: »

That is strange. The site also say 32MB expandable mini sd, surely you can expand it more than that?! I want to buy this phone but I was planing on using it as my mp3 player too. Cant a any size sd work in that slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,407 ✭✭✭✭justsomebloke

mclovin. wrote: »
    That is strange. The site also say 32MB expandable mini sd, surely you can expand it more than that?! I want to buy this phone but I was planing on using it as my mp3 player too. Cant a any size sd work in that slot.

apps are generally installed only on the internal memory, thus a small internal limit will limit the amount of apps you can install.

However music, photos etc can be put on the external memory card so ye this could easily be used as an mp3 player (well if the sound off it is any good)

• Advertisement

apps are generally installed only on the internal memory, thus a small internal limit will limit the amount of apps you can install.

However music, photos etc can be put on the external memory card so ye this could easily be used as an mp3 player (well if the sound off it is any good)

Im amusing it has a 3.1 jack for headphones. I think I read that somewhere but I could have just made it up.

Actually I looked a few pics and you can see it on the top.

Yeah Ive been to the shop and I asked the guy to check the specs for me.

The Internal memory is something like 130 or 150. But the micro sd port apparently only supports up to 16gb cards.

i cant image any one buying a 32gb card really...their costly...and your never gonna buy one especially if your buying a low end phone means your tight on money and not gonna buy a 32 gb card...16 is most you would need...even 16gb is costly...i paid 70 quid for my 16gb class 6

• Registered Users Posts: 809 ✭✭✭woop

its also not capacitive tis TFT according to meteor site EDIT- on more research Im not too sure

will this have the problem of not running certain apps due to screen or is 2.8 large enough

there is very much a market for these phones, its a pity about the low internal memory if that is the case

• Registered Users Posts: 988 ✭✭✭Zeouterlimits

Bought one on Saturday, loving it so far, covers my needs when combined with a new iPod Touch.

190MB internal 170 when read
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HnbBXZD6pAA
    @4.50

Got one too. 1st one stopped working after 5 hours :(

But I brought it back to the shop and they replaced it straight away and this new one seems to be the bees knees

so is it capacitive or resistive?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 126 ✭✭meathgal2010

Capacitative

Capacitative

I got one:) anybody get the gps working? its been searching ages here

sometimes pressing search in market app doesnt register but when I go landscape its fine again. Theres a white noise like sound for 2-3 seconds after pause/stop music playing through headphones. Does anyone else experience this? otherwise a cracking phone just want to know whether they are all like this

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Hey all,

Apologies if this thread is too old to revive, but I'm looking to get the Samsung Europa phone for christmas, and to use it as my full time mp3 player. Obviously the normal sized headphone port is a draw, can anyone who's used it say how well it functions as an MP3 player? I'm also planning on putting a 16GB Microsd card in it. I don't have a great amount of knowledge on these things, but would there be any drawback in having a card that size in use? I'm thinking in terms of playback and access speeds from the phone. Will I have to endure lots of silence in between tracks as the phone switches between songs?
    Thanks for any advice!

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

delta36 wrote: »
    Hey all,

Apologies if this thread is too old to revive, but I'm looking to get the Samsung Europa phone for christmas, and to use it as my full time mp3 player. Obviously the normal sized headphone port is a draw, can anyone who's used it say how well it functions as an MP3 player? I'm also planning on putting a 16GB Microsd card in it. I don't have a great amount of knowledge on these things, but would there be any drawback in having a card that size in use? I'm thinking in terms of playback and access speeds from the phone. Will I have to endure lots of silence in between tracks as the phone switches between songs?
    Thanks for any advice!

I'll be honest and say that I haven't used the music player LOADS but when I did, it was excellent. Certainly better than my ipod classic in terms of quality! You won't be disappointed with the sound quality anyway :)

delta36 wrote: »
    I'm also planning on putting a 16GB Microsd card in it. I don't have a great amount of knowledge on these things, but would there be any drawback in having a card that size in use? I'm thinking in terms of playback and access speeds from the phone. Will I have to endure lots of silence in between tracks as the phone switches between songs?
    Thanks for any advice!

I've yet to buy the phone, but I seriously doubt there'd be any access speed issues.
    The phone can take a maximum of a 16GB card, so if you're using it as your main mp3 player you might as well buy the 16GB.
    Just don't get one on eBay, not the safest place for memory if you've any doubts about what you're looking at.

• Registered Users Posts: 921 ✭✭✭delta36

Excellent, thanks for the replies people!
    RichyX wrote: »
    Just don't get one on eBay, not the safest place for memory if you've any doubts about what you're looking at.

Yeah, I figure I'll go for a branded SanDisk card or similar, just to be sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

I got one in the 1st place because my old nokia "xpress music" phone was utter sh*te at playing music and would crash if you tried to put more then 10songs on it! I have had zero problems with the europa, I have not far off a full 16GB sd card of music in it, and it loads up no problem at all, and the app for music is good and simple to use, if your not happy with it ya can download winamp or a few other mp3 players either. The stock headphones that come with it aren't half bad either! The only slight downside, and this is with all smartphones, the battery life is abit rubbish.

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Colibri

The battery life can be a bit iffy alright, but simple tweak such as turning down brightness, turning off 3G with APNdroid, etc. Can make it loads better.

Colibri wrote: »
    The battery life can be a bit iffy alright, but simple tweak such as turning down brightness, turning off 3G with APNdroid, etc. Can make it loads better.

What's the longest you've had yours last?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,394 ✭✭✭✭Timmaay

RichyX wrote: »
    What's the longest you've had yours last?

I'd say I've got mine to last almost 3 days, thats with barely using the phone, with heavy use this could drop to 20hours! I also downloaded the app Advanced task killer, its amazing the amount of apps that are running in the background the whole time, and opening this every so often will close them quickly!

• Site Banned Posts: 5,676 ✭✭✭jayteecork

guys how the f do you stop this phone using your credit when wifi isn't enabled?

It checks my gmail (which I have set up) and takes away my credit!!!
    It's a ****ing nightmare!

Also, when wi-fi is enabled the battery lasts about 3 hours!

I'm having problems with the touch screen too and unlike my last Samsung phone there seems to be no way of recalibrating it. Having awful problems tpying in names and passwords for facebook and stuff because I can't turn off predictive text.

All in all not too happy so far. At least there's some decent free apps available like Angry Birds!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,531 ✭✭✭Zonda999

Jaytee,

Turn off background data in the accounts and sync menu in the settings

Also get the free app APNdroid, and enable it. That'll sort out the data problem!

Advertisement