Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"DR" Ciara Kelly

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,501 ✭✭✭lonestargirl

Dave! wrote: »
    Like in the States, I believe some schools make it mandatory as a condition of being granted your place. So it is in effect compulsory for families living around that school.

Vaccinations are compulsory to attend public schools in many areas of the US, including Texas. Pretty much all private creches in my area will not accept children without vaccinations either meaning children get vaccinated very early. I'm doing a hospital-based PhD and vaccinations are needed to enroll also. I worked in an allied health profession in Ireland and we had titres taken when we were hired and then were offered to-ups where necessary, I don't know what the situation would be in someone who refused. I actually had my employement delayed as I got chickenpox which can be deadly to immunocompromised (cancer) patients and had to wait until I got the all clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,320 ✭✭✭MrCreosote

What about adding in extra sweeteners. You get the Aussie immunisation bonus of A$125 for having your child fully immunised by age 2, and again by age 5.

It's not going to get the non-immunising types interested, but might help motivate the incomplete immunisers who are the bigger group anyway.

A bit less stick, a bit more carrot.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,848 ✭✭✭bleg

I disagree. Protecting your child from disease should be carrot enough. Paying people to immunize their children is a bit obscene in my opinion.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,367 ✭✭✭Rabble Rabble

PAULWATSON wrote: »
    I see that Ciara Kelly is rabbiting on again today in the Sunday Independent.

Fresh from making a total sham over the swine flu debacle, she is back today suggesting that MANDATORY vaccinations should be introduced. All the usual cliches and emotional blackmail are used to full effect.

"What about the little guys", "By not getting your child vaccinated you are being reckless and putting others at risk" and blah, blah, blah.

Of course "Dr" Kelly fits the profile for such a campaign. She is female, middle aged, a "Dr" , a little cutie profile picture accompanies the piece. All the mothers will swoon and take the bait.

I tell you what Ciara, I called the medical establishments bluff on the swine flu, and I call your bluff on this.

Disgusting.

So are you suggesting that vaccinations dont work? Work into your answer the statistics on

diphtheria
    tetanus
    whooping cough (pertussis)
    polio
    Hib: vaccination against the bacteria Haemophilus influenzae type B, which can cause meningitis, pneumonia, blood poisoning and infection of the epiglottis (back of the throat)
    measles
    mumps
    rubella (German measles)
    meningitis C
    pneumococcal: vaccination against the bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae (known as pneumococcus), which can cause meningitis, pneumonia, severe ear infections (otitis media) and blood poisoning
    cervical cancer.

and others in the UK. Full literature.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,229 ✭✭✭✭King Mob

So are you suggesting that vaccinations dont work? Work into your answer the statistics on

diphtheria
    tetanus
    whooping cough (pertussis)
    polio
    Hib: vaccination against the bacteria Haemophilus influenzae type B, which can cause meningitis, pneumonia, blood poisoning and infection of the epiglottis (back of the throat)
    measles
    mumps
    rubella (German measles)
    meningitis C
    pneumococcal: vaccination against the bacteria Streptococcus pneumoniae (known as pneumococcus), which can cause meningitis, pneumonia, severe ear infections (otitis media) and blood poisoning
    cervical cancer.

and others in the UK. Full literature.

Dude, you forgot smallpox.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭PAULWATSON

Oh little Ciara is all for coercive means where vaccinations are concerned.

She thinks that people should be "dragged into the net" by various methods. Link benefits to vaccinations, school entry to vaccinations, create a stigma against those unvaccinated.

As I said disgusting. How about the goodie, goodies just go and get the shots as they see fit. Then they are safe and the sane people can get on with their own lives. Same old story, the "know alls" have to bring the rest down with them.

So, you get the shot if you want, leave us alone. YOU DO NOT KNOW BETTER.

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Bogsnorkler

She thinks that people should be "dragged into the net" by various methods. Link benefits to vaccinations, school entry to vaccinations, create a stigma against those unvaccinated.

As I said disgusting. How about the goodie, goodies just go and get the shots as they see fit. Then they are safe and the sane people can get on with their own lives. Same old story, the "know alls" have to bring the rest down with them.

You don't fancy addressing some of the arguements made against your post do you?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

I'm pretty sure the medical professionals do though...

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭SleepDoc

Maybe aromatherapy is the answer?
    Or this pen on my desk? Since I got it I've been swine flu free.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rbrbrb

You can live in your free society without a problem so long as your actions don't infringe on the rights of others. By refusing to be vaccinated at a time when it is required (though I don't think swine flu was such a time) you are endangering the health and lives of others - under certain conditions mandatory vaccinations may be required and your right to bodily integrity is subservient to everybody else's right.

• Advertisement

rbrbrb wrote: »
    You can live in your free society without a problem so long as your actions don't infringe on the rights of others. By refusing to be vaccinated at a time when it is required (though I don't think swine flu was such a time) you are endangering the health and lives of others - under certain conditions mandatory vaccinations may be required and your right to bodily integrity is subservient to everybody else's right.

Wow, they have really done a job on you.

The individual always takes precidence over the mass. Go read a few history books, The Crowd by Le Bon may also help shake the magic dust from these little fairytales you have been hearing.

The individual always takes precidence over the mass. Go read a few history books, The Crowd by Le Bon may also help shake the magic dust from these little fairytales you have been hearing.

So aromatherapy is the answer then?

SleepDoc wrote: »
    So aromatherapy is the answer then?

What is all this talk to aromatheraphy?, I don't get it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Stop soapboxing. If you want to rage against the machine, thats perfectly ok, but not on this forum. On this forum, you are expected to demonstrate logic, reasoning, and cite evidence for your arguments. If you are not willing to do that, don't post. If you ignore this warning, you'll be removed from the forum. Totally up to you.

I'm being facetious. You seem almost paranoid about the motivation to vaccinate. I don't get your antipathy. Vaccinations are in the main safe and are certainly life saving.

Doctors are vaccinated against Hep B. It's mandatory. If and when a vaccine for HIV becomes available no doubt we'll have to get that too. It protects the patient and doctor. Never heard a word of complaint.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 rbrbrb

Yeah they've 'done a job' on me alright. Read a few history books yourself mate. No civilisation has got anywhere by placing the individual on a pedestal. Get over yourself, you're insignificant. This idea of the individual taking precedence over the group is little over a century and a half old.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

Having read the OP, thread closed. Paul, read my last post. Don't post threads of this nature in this forum again, it's inappropriate. Right of admission is reserved - bear that in mind. Or is it bare. anyway.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement