Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Most memorable bet?

Options
  • 28-08-2010 2:35am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,408 ✭✭✭

As above?
    Not sure of mine tbh....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,109 ✭✭✭Cavehill Red

Euro 96. Paddy Power were offering to double up the odds on first goalscorers for free if they scored subsequent goals. Two goals, twice the odds, etc.
    I got on Kluivert against Yugoslavia, and he hit four bringing my odds from 8/1 to into the 60s.
    Was en route to the pub and thought to collect the money which was a huge fortune for me at the time. Got drunk, woke up the next day to find out that one of the goals had been given as an OG. If I'd delayed picking up the bet, I'd have got half (though still 4X my original odds!)

The most unmemorable (because I was unconscious) was an accie in 2001 on Liverpool to win the FA Cup, League Cup and Uefa Cup. On the night of the Uefa Cup final, I was already celebrating, because they'd won the other two trophies and were playing some joker juniors from Spain, Alaves. They went into an early lead. Somehow, it ended up a total goalfest and went to extra-time, which was annoying.
    Midway through the added time, Liverpool had to clear a shot from off the line. Mate of mine turns round and said 'You were lucky there!" Says me, "Nah, Liverpool have more goals in them."
    Then he added the immortal line, "You didn't know it was golden goal?"
    I fainted, straight off the bar stool, hit the floor and knocked myself out. By the time I came round, Liverpool had already won. Apparently the first thing I asked the emergency people was "Who won?"

• Registered Users Posts: 53,916 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

Bendtner to score a hatrick against porto

odds 40/1

stake 10

they even talk about in the sf since :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 522 ✭✭✭ValueSeeker

Michael Owen to tear Wolfsburg to pieces last year away from home. I couldn't believe the bookmaker prices. 12/5 to score, 20/1 for a brace and 100/1 for a hattrick.

I tipped all 3 with the main reasoning being that Wolfsburg (one of the loosest defenses around at the time) would be destroyed by his pace in behind as they pushed forward, as well as his finishing ability of course.

He was priced so big as he hadn't been playing or scoring, again a reflection of how meaningless stats are and how logic is the way to bring in the profits.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,335 ✭✭✭✭UrbanSea

Don't really have many stand out ones. One that really pisses me off was an accum I did a few months ago. Did 6 horses,all shortish prices. The only odds on one that I put in came second,the rest won :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

World Cup 2010 - Tim Howard to get MOTM @ 16/1 v England.

Nothing on others here, but felt pretty good after the game!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,480 ✭✭✭Devastator

8(I think) team acc on the LDV vans trophy round 1/2 about 6 years ago.

106/1 only had £1 on it as I had already picked my bet for the night(league) and decided on the bus into work to have a look at the docket and decided to do another little side bet.

Absolute luck as I was betting on teams I'd never even heard of :D I think it was 5 homes, 2 aways and a draw. The draw was a late kickoff too and it was 1-0 until very late in the game before equalizer came through.....one of the very few times I sat in work watching bbc live scores update and being happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Rory McIlroy at Quail Hollow a couple of months ago. Backed at 50/1 pre-tournament. The method of the comeback and the cracking Sunday round were amazing. Made all the sweeter because I thought he'd actually missed the cut and only saw on Saturday night he'd got himself in with a small shout on Saturday and thought I might pick up some decent place money. The rest is history.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,328 ✭✭✭Mezcita

My first ever bookie bet. Years ago Snickers (I think) were offering a free €2.00 bet with Ladbrokes on some of their wrappers. Lumped it on Jimmy Hasselbaink to score first against Blackburn and for Leeds to win 1-0. 25/1.

Hasselbaink scored after about three minutes. Couldn't bare to listen after that. Finished 1-0 Leeds.

Great success!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭myflipflops

Usain Bolt @ 40/1 to win the 2008 Olympic 100. I could only get on a token 25 euro bet but it was still sweet.

• Registered Users Posts: 771 ✭✭✭seklly

My most memorable, probably due to the bookies cock up was years ago when i had €3 e/w on Devil Moon @ 100-1 in Goodwood.

He came 3rd and i got paid for the win!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭Keano!

Put 30 on ronaldo to score a hat-trick against newcastle a few seasons back for united. he was around 20/1 i think

• Registered Users Posts: 915 ✭✭✭whatnext

Fairyhouse 2004 Easter Monday, couldnt pick my nose, never mind a winner.

Last race "get out of jail stakes" picked the most misserible looking runt of a horse (change of tactics). It looked like a dwarf in the parade ring, barely the strength to hold its self up.
    Was so demoralised that I didn't even bother with the bookies and went straighht to the tote. €10 e/w

http://www.horseracebase.com/races.php?id=40724

paid out €78 in the tote win and €18 place as far as I remember, collected almost a grand:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 829 ✭✭✭Long Term Louth

Cheltenham 2003 €2 yankee,

Tue: Azertyuiop, 2/1
    Rooster Booster 13/2

Wed: Moscow flyer 11/4

Thur, Best Mate 5/2

€ 1,416 :D

Never got a yankee up since :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 370 ✭✭D1976

US Open 2009

Go Lucas

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

2004/2005 season. After having one of the best years I’d had as a season ticket holder with West Ham, I decided to renew and have a little wager at the start of the year on us getting promoted at 7/1. Lashed 250 quid on it as the ST prices had gone down again so had a bit of spare cash. Fast forward until the end of May and we’re in the play-off final and I’m over in Cardiff with a load of the lads. Into the bookies, had another 200 on us to win (6/5), 50 on Zamora first goalscorer (4/1) and another 20 on Zamaro/West Ham at around 4/1.Suffice to say I ended up having a pretty decent night...

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

D1976 wrote: »
    US Open 2009

Go Lucas

Over a year later and I'm still disgusted with myself for not even throwing a fiver each way at Glover after listening to Bob Bupka tip him up on the Off the Ball

• Registered Users Posts: 4,473 ✭✭✭longshotvalue

Last year, i put up a tip on letsbet.ie for Oasis Dancer, who had been beaten by workforce in his previous race. It won at 127/1 on betfair and returned 80/1 bookies..

It's one of those 'I was going to put the bet on,but couldn't get to the bookies'.
    A tenner double on Snoopy Loopy at 40/1 in the Betfair Chase and Serabad (2 of my favourite horses) the next day,at Aintree. Returned 33/1 and 9/2 winners. I felt sick.

• Registered Users Posts: 527 ✭✭✭EI111

always small bets are the most memorable from the value i get out of them and the fact you dont have to worry if it loses

had a tenner at 8/1 brawn to win constructors champ i never followed F1 before that, great craic

also 2 euro at 50/1 baros top scorer euro 2004

25 dollars devin hester to score first touchdown superbowl 2007 @ 16/1, he ran back the kickoff and i wasnt even home to watch it yet. watched the youtube video around 240 times

memorable for the wrong reason: laying chelsea for 300 quid loss for prem outright last year

• Moderators Posts: 8,716 ✭✭✭x PyRo

This by a mile, 33/1 with the bookies and 150/1 on Betfair. Quite a few people here backed her too and she won handily. Only picked her based on her PTP form and was pleasantly surprised to see her fly home to win by a couple of lengths.

Big bets on Monterosso in various races would also be very memorable, he paid for many a thing for me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭Tazz T

I had 50 on Norway at 50/1 win the Eurovision song contest with Lordi. I was amazed by the odds as there was no way I would've got those odds in Europe where Metal is far more popular than here. Irish market betted them right out. I was completely confident they were going to win, as there campaigns running in Europe to vote them through.

• Registered Users Posts: 253 ✭✭padzer

Ryder cup 2008, there were 8 matches on the first day, with the tie in each priced at around the 6/1 mark. A few of us did 56x50c trebles, which meant if there were 3 ties wed get about €170 each and if there were any more we would be up a stack.

Indeed there was 3 ties and when i went to collect the following day yer woman in the shop paid me for 4, took over €700! The other lads collected the same in different shops, it was unreal.

Did the same bet on the saturday, 3 draws came in and we got paid around €170. But il never forget Jim Furyk missed a 5 foot putt on the last which would have us hit the jackpot again.

Needless to say il be doing the same bet in a few weeks time.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭GampDub

January of last year, was having a rough time money wise and had just got paid at the end of Jan having not been paid since mid December!

Went to the bank on my lunch break and paid out a small fortune in bills/debts leaving myself with very little to live on for the next month!

Went into the bookies next to the bank for a quick bet ((probably wasn't a good idea given the circumstances) , it was a random Tuesday and wasn't great racing so didn't really do too much form reading just alot of gut feeeling. Had a 5 e/w on a horse 66/1 cause I liked the name. I can second by a head, still got €80 back so was happy enough!

Decided to do a quick €1 Lucky 15 for the afternoon and leave still up over €50. Was mad busy in work and never checked the bet til I got home. Little did I know it had clicked, can't remember the name of the horses but odds where something like 11/4, 11/2, 8/1 & 10/1. I couldn't believe it when I checked the teletext, Had to ring me Da to double check it for me!

Went to the bookies to collect the next day expecting about €5k, I hadn't even realised that the 10/1 shot had gone out to 16's and I got the better odds with a bonus on top I ended up getting just shy of €7k.

Unreal win, paid off all debts and took the missus to New York for Paddys Day!!! Good Times... :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,288 ✭✭✭fkiely

GampDub wrote: »
    January of last year, was having a rough time money wise and had just got paid at the end of Jan having not been paid since mid December!

Went to the bank on my lunch break and paid out a small fortune in bills/debts leaving myself with very little to live on for the next month!

Went into the bookies next to the bank for a quick bet ((probably wasn't a good idea given the circumstances) , it was a random Tuesday and wasn't great racing so didn't really do too much form reading just alot of gut feeeling. Had a 5 e/w on a horse 66/1 cause I liked the name. I can second by a head, still got €80 back so was happy enough!

Decided to do a quick €1 Lucky 15 for the afternoon and leave still up over €50. Was mad busy in work and never checked the bet til I got home. Little did I know it had clicked, can't remember the name of the horses but odds where something like 11/4, 11/2, 8/1 & 10/1. I couldn't believe it when I checked the teletext, Had to ring me Da to double check it for me!

Went to the bookies to collect the next day expecting about €5k, I hadn't even realised that the 10/1 shot had gone out to 16's and I got the better odds with a bonus on top I ended up getting just shy of €7k.

Unreal win, paid off all debts and took the missus to New York for Paddys Day!!! Good Times... :D

Super stuff, great read.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,979 ✭✭✭Vurnon San Benito

fkiely wrote: »
    Super stuff, great read.

+1

That one put a smile on my face haha.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,714 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

Tazz T wrote: »
    I had 50 on Norway at 50/1 win the Eurovision song contest with Lordi. I was amazed by the odds as there was no way I would've got those odds in Europe where Metal is far more popular than here. Irish market betted them right out. I was completely confident they were going to win, as there campaigns running in Europe to vote them through.

Did you get paid out on that? Lordi won for Finland.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,339 ✭✭✭El Horseboxo

Even though i have won bigger amounts mine has to be a 16 game accumulator in the baseball. I had 4 euro as odds in my account and decided to put a euro on 4 accumulators in the MLB. I put 1 on all the favorites. 1 on all the underdogs and then 2 1 euro bets on a mixture of both. One of the mixtures came in at odds of 1756/1. I'll always remember that figure. Anyways 15 of them were in and i was gobsmacked at that point. So i checked espn.com and there was a rain delay in the Padres vs Diamondbacks game. It was the 8th inning and Padres were losing 3-0. Thought that was the end of it so went to bed. Logged into my account the next day and i noticed the huge balance. Checked espn again and San Diego had scored 3 runs in the 8th and 3 in the 9th. They won 6-3. Couldn't believe it.

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 23,065 ✭✭✭✭beertons

Stuck €350 on Man Utd to beat Besiktas(h), R Madric to beat Zurich(h), and Chelsea to beat Porto. United left it late, but took home €920. Was going to stick it all on Liverpool and Arsenal to win aswell, but needed the €920. The last 2 teams ended up winning, it's always the way though.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,470 ✭✭✭DonJose

A couple of years ago I bet on Sunderland winning the championship league, they lost their first 3 games and were bottom of the table when Roy Keane got the job, they won the league on the last day of the season, overtaking Birmingham who lost to Preston. I put a pile of money each way at 22/1 and 14/1, best nervous itchy arse day ever :D

Advertisement