Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

SC2 Patch 1.1 announced (Due Mid Sept)

• 27-08-2010 7:43pm
    Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭

Blizzard announced a major patch coming in mid september including balance changes today. All I have to say on the matter is lobby lobby lobby!

Original article:
    876B9WVZ641X1282923755994.jpg
    Greetings, citizens of the Koprulu sector! StarCraft II: Wings of Liberty is celebrating its one-month anniversary and we’re extremely excited to witness the amazing community that’s come together around the game. To that end, we want you to know we are hard at work on the first feature and balance patch, and expect to have it completed and available by the middle of September. Patch 1.1 will contain a number of improvements including additional mod features, Editor improvements and bug fixes, some custom game improvements, support for NVIDIA’s 3D Vision, and more. We'd also like to share some specific plans for this patch with you.

To begin, we've heard a lot of feedback from our global community about standardized hotkey options. We're happy to announce that in patch 1.1 we are going to make the Standard (US) and Standard for Lefties (US) hotkey options available in all regions.

Balance Changes
    We have several balance changes in store. One general change we're making is that friendly units will no longer provide vision after being killed. Enemy units previously revealed will no longer be targetable. Now let's break down the additional balance changes we're implementing.

Maps
    We're going to be adding destructible rocks to the Desert Oasis map to make natural expansions easier to protect. In addition, the center map watchtower area is being narrowed.

Protoss
    We have two key changes in mind for the zealot: the build time is being increased from 33 to 38 seconds, and the warpgate cooldown is being increased from 23 to 28 seconds. Zealot rushes are currently too powerful at various skill levels, particularly those that rely on rapidly assaulting an enemy base from nearby "proxy" gateways. We feel the window players have to scout for and fend off this rush is too small. We also want to address the problem of protoss being able to dump minerals a bit too quickly with the combination of warpgates and Chrono Boost.

Terran
    There are several changes in the works for terrans. Reapers against zerg are stronger than expected. Due to the zealot build time increase, reapers would be a bit problematic in combination with proxy barracks, bunkers, and/or marauders against protoss. Therefore, we have decided to increase the build time of reapers as well from 40 to 45 seconds. Fast reaper + bunker, or fast marine + bunker rushes are problematic against zerg. Although this rush would never outright destroy the zerg player, we feel zerg suffers too much of a disadvantage from either having to cancel the fast expansion, or getting trapped inside the main base for too long, so we are also increasing the bunker build time from 30 to 35 seconds.

Siege tanks in large numbers are performing too well in all matchups. In the mid- to late-game, siege tanks are too dominant against all ground units. We want a small set of light and unarmored ground units to perform better against siege tanks. With this in mind, we're changing the Siege Mode damage of the siege tank from 50 to 35, +15 vs. armored; to correspond with this, damage upgrades will be changed from +5 to +3, +2 vs. armored. This change reduces the base damage of the siege tank against light and unarmored units, as well as the splash damage.

Battlecruisers currently lack good counters from the ground and still perform very well against a wide array of unit types. We're aware that it is not easy to get battlecruisers out for the cost, but at the same time, it is possible in both 1v1s and team games to create stalemate situations to bring them out. Overall, we feel that battlecruisers are too strong for their cost, and the terran-forced stalemate situations are causing less interesting gameplay. We will be lowering their damage against ground units from 10 to 8.

Zerg
    Ultralisk damage is being decreased from 15, +25 vs. armored to 15, +20 vs. armored. This reduction is comparable to the changes being made to the battlecruiser and siege tank. Like the battlecruiser, ultralisks are simply too powerful for the cost, even though they are difficult to muster. Also, in combination with other units, ultralisks are difficult to counter from the ground. The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack, which will be used against buildings instead. When ultralisks target tightly packed smaller buildings such as supply depots, the Ram attack is actually outputting considerably less overall damage than its normal attack, as Ram only hits a single target.

And Beyond...

We are reading your posts on the forums and creating lists of features and bugs to address in future patches. We have mid- to long-term plans to further evolve the Custom Game experience, and soon, enhance our social features with the addition of chat channels. We will be sharing more specific information in the coming weeks. As with all of our previous games, we will support StarCraft II for many years to come. Your feedback and participation is critical in making this not only the best game it can be, but also the most engaged gaming community in the world. We look forward to the implementation of patch 1.1, as well as sharing our plans for our future gameplay and Battle.net features.

We'll see you online!

http://us.battle.net/sc2/en/blog/692221

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,356 ✭✭✭seraphimvc

i am going to rush the insane AI a few hundreds time before this patch applied :pac:

also, I want my Queen's AUTOCASTING spawn larva ability!!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,824 ✭✭✭RoyalMarine

seriously, no mention of the bigger problems that are plaguing players!

lobby's!
    popular maps taking the top so less common maps dont get played at all?

the connection issues still not being addressed or even commented on by the developer's on the forums....

well, **** em....

• Registered Users Posts: 8,326 ✭✭✭Zapp Brannigan

Yup Protoss nerf, that makes sense.

Hopefully that is not the entirety of the balance tweaks.

• Registered Users Posts: 945 ✭✭✭gearoidof

seriously, no mention of the bigger problems that are plaguing players!
    lobby's!

They mention lobbies...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,327 ✭✭✭NeoSlicerZ

:| I don't get the zealot nerf :/

• Advertisement
  • Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

As a zerg player..... I do. :)

DeV.

Ugh, vs a 6 pool on a short rush map, I think you need perfect timing to get your zealot out in time.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

6 pool is for noobs. Its the desperate act of zerg players who arent winning games in the early mid or late game. The unwritten between-the-lines bit of this patch is practically an admission of this...

I'm sure they will balance things out but as it is, I think Zerg lost out a lot in the upgrade to SC2 and I think Protoss actually look like a race I would prefer to play at the moment. (too much Terran in the SP to play them multi too!) :)

DeV.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Ugh, vs a 6 pool on a short rush map, I think you need perfect timing to get your zealot out in time.

could you not go for early cannons on those maps instead? Buy time till ya can get zealots out.

As for the patch, i'm quite happy :) i never use ultralisks anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 77 ✭✭Thuck_Fat

I just want to say, I have never even played this game but I love it to bits. Such an amazing game to watch, I can only imagine the joy of playing it. (I watch HDStarcraft on youtube)

• Advertisement

Xios wrote: »
    could you not go for early cannons on those maps instead? Buy time till ya can get zealots out.

Bleh, need to probably do some experimentation on some map like Steppes of War. 10pylon/10gate would probably handle it.

is actually a little buff of ultralisk at the same time:pac:

and zealot neff is defo needed, bet people dont really do zealot rush much? 5 zealots straight to a zerg base in the first few minutes is 100% win if the zerg didnt have 20+ ling there to defend - which usually means the zerg player wont have any tech up and have less drone than opponent player.
    Xios wrote: »

think it from the protoss player's angle, would you like to up forge extremely fast every game just to avoid zerg rush? Most protoss players who go forge early likely to be turtle- not all protoss player likes to be turtle. otherwise, spending 150mineral on forge and another 150 on 1 cannon to prevent 150mineral of 6 zergling rush is just imbalanced - the game should allows protoss player to fend off the rush with their tier 1 unit.

this zealot neff makes protoss player need to learn how to scout early. protoss player cant always now just block the choke with a zealot now can they lol
    NeoSlicerZ wrote: »
    Bleh, need to probably do some experimentation on some map like Steppes of War. 10pylon/10gate would probably handle it.

10 gate - you should be able to get a zeal out chronoboost. if you are abit slow then the 6 pool zerg will be chasing your probes before your zealots out:D or alternatively you can just completely wall off.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,682 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

So Protoss are overpowered?
    There was I thinking for the first time my game was improving as i started to climb up my bronze league since i started playing Protoss more :(

• Registered Users Posts: 3,296 ✭✭✭valor

as a Zerg player I think the zealot nerf is silly, I love seeing Toss rush lots, its a super easy win for me

The Tank nerf is the best news

• Registered Users Posts: 81,598 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

The ultralisk building attack (Ram) is being removed because the damage rate is too similar to its normal attack, which will be used against buildings instead.
    I didnt even know there was such an ability. Otherwise I would have won that last night :( Stupid enemy Lair still stood!!

I have to agree on the Seige tanks. I've seen 2 tanks erase 50 lings in about 3 seconds.

not a word on marine and marauder :pac: we will see how far can they go!

• Registered Users Posts: 13,084 ✭✭✭✭Kirby

Overheal wrote: »
    I didnt even know there was such an ability. Otherwise I would have won that last night :( Stupid enemy Lair still stood!!

I have to agree on the Seige tanks. I've seen 2 tanks erase 50 lings in about 3 seconds.

As i understand it, it's not an ability you activate. It's automatic when attacking a building. It was designed for extra damage to single targets as opposed to the splash damage ultralisks regular attack does. Great in theory.

But the problem is, when fully upgraded the normal attack does alot more damage. So the A.I. is nerfing the damage of your ultra's by using headbutt instead of the normal pincer attack thing.

A mistake they will fix.

leaked patch note seems quite real:
    Maps
    - Destructible Rocks have been added to the natural expansions of Desert Oasis, and the center has been narrowed.
    - Various ladder maps have been added.

General
    - Ground Units of type Psionic now have vision in the air plane.

Protoss
    - Zealot build time increased from 33 to 38 seconds.
    - Zealot warp-in cooldown increased from 23 to 28 seconds.
    - Warp Prisms now unload their cargo instantly while in Phasing Mode.
    - Chronoboost cooldown increased from 0 to 20 seconds.
    - Dark Shrine build time decreased from 100 to 80.
    - Dark Shrine cost decreased from 100 minerals 250 gas to 100 minerals 200 gas.
    - Carrier cost increased from 350 minerals 250 gas to 400 minerals 250 gas.
    - Carriers now spawn with four Interceptors prebuilt.

Terran
    - Reaper build time increased from 40 to 45 seconds.
    - Bunker build time increased from 30 to 35 seconds.
    - Siege Mode damage decreased from 50 to 35, +15 armored.
    - Siege Mode damage upgrades per level changed from +5 to +3, +2 vs. armored.
    - Battlecruiser damage vs. ground decreased from 10 to 8.
    - Calldown MULE cooldown increased from 0 to 40 seconds.
    - Planetary Fortress build time decreased from 50 to 40 seconds.
    - 250 mm Cannons research time decreased from 110 to 80 seconds.
    - 250 mm Cannons cost decreased from 150 minerals 150 gas to 100 minerals 100 gas.
    - 250 mm Cannons may now be used on friendly and neutral structures and units.

Zerg
    - Ultralisk damage decreased from 15, +25 vs. armored to 15, +20 vs. armored.
    - Ultralisk Ram attack removed.
    - Nydus Worms can now be cancelled and refunded while building.
    - Overlord base speed increased to from 0.469 to 0.938.
    - Overlord upgraded speed increase from 1.875 to 2.344.
    - Overlords can now use Excrete Creep while moving.
    - Overlord base speed now decreases from 0.938 to 0.469 while Excrete Creep is active.
    - Overlord upgraded speed now decreased from 2.344 to 1.875 while Excrete Creep is active.
    - Spawn Larvae energy cost reduced to 20 from 25.

Bugfixes
    - Fixed a bug that caused cloaked units to cast shadows.
    - Fixed a bug where Larva would sometimes accidently die by walking off cliffs.
    - Fixed a bug where a Nuclear Strike target could be hid behind a Lair.
    - Fixed a bug that allowed SCVs to construct halted buildings from within Bunkers.
    - Fixed a netcode bug that enabled players to warp in Immortals from Warp Gates.
    - Fixed a bug that caused Random players to not see their cursor during the loading screen.
    - Fixed a bug where Changelings morphed slower while coming into range of enemy units than when dropped from an Overseer over enemy units.

General
    - Improved the functionality of voice chat.
    - Manually queued waypoints can now be set to all 5 basic commands.
    - Numerous performance and stability improvements.

http://www.teamliquid.net/forum/viewmessage.php?topic_id=153362&currentpage=All

would be AWESOME if it is real :D but usually when you feel that is it too good to be true then it is not real lol

Fake.

some of them seems bs, some of them were told by blizzard, some of them make ZOMG sense especially the MULE neff :P

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,381 ✭✭✭Br4tPr1nc3

seraphimvc wrote: »
    is actually a little buff of ultralisk at the same time:pac:

think it from the protoss player's angle, would you like to up forge extremely fast every game just to avoid zerg rush? Most protoss players who go forge early likely to be turtle- not all protoss player likes to be turtle. otherwise, spending 150mineral on forge and another 150 on 1 cannon to prevent 150mineral of 6 zergling rush is just imbalanced - the game should allows protoss player to fend off the rush with their tier 1 unit.

that seems balanced to me actually,
    you forgot to take into account the 200 mineral spawning pool.
    and the extra 50 minerals for the spawning pool is acceptable because you can train all lings and the same time.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Hmmm, if it is true it reads to me like a major buff to the Zerg and nerf for the Terrans (know nothing of the Protoss so wouldn't comment). Basically reducing the effectiveness of turtling down by the Terrans.

Increasing Overlord speed is an interesting idea; would make scouting a lot easier and less costly for Zerg.

Br4tPr1nc3 wrote: »
    that seems balanced to me actually,
    you forgot to take into account the 200 mineral spawning pool.
    and the extra 50 minerals for the spawning pool is acceptable because you can train all lings and the same time.
    :pac: then you forget to count the 100mineral pylon for warp in building.

a timing out zealot can counter 6 pool. early cannon is also an option. it would be 'imbalance' if protoss can only counter 6 pool with early cannon. reread our posts please :pac:

If you have absolutely perfect timings, a chronoed 12 gate won't get a zealot out in time, you're going to need to probe block as it is. A 10gate may JUST a zealot in time probably, still will have to pull a few drones. The fact is that if you 6 pool and send 4 zerglings out. probes can kill them and the toss will still be ahead.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,980 ✭✭✭✭Cuddlesworth

pixelburp wrote: »
    Increasing Overlord speed is an interesting idea; would make scouting a lot easier and less costly for Zerg.

And that's why I think those notes are fake. Unlimited scouting, moving creep highways. Its a recipe for complete imbalance in the game play.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Yeah doubling the overlord speed seems a bit over the top. Overlords have been the seem since early starcraft 1 if memory serves me correct. Why change it now

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

And that's why I think those notes are fake. Unlimited scouting, moving creep highways. Its a recipe for complete imbalance in the game play.
    Well yeah true; the comment about deploying creep while moving is a bit of a giveaway, but at the same time, destroying creep should be something T/P players are doing anyway, no?

Either way, am thinking of pausing my SC2 until the next balance patch.

Not to mention the fact that carriers already spawn with 4 interceptors, lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,128 ✭✭✭✭TheDoc

There is alot of sense in those balance changes. And lets remind ourselves what is being addressed there is the absolute obvious ones.

I hope early on we can nip in the bud the absolute cringe feast you read everywhere else in a similar vein as to how WoW works.

Don't get too defensive on changes to your race, you need to understand that changes take place to keep balances between all three races and matchups.

Zealots and warp gate currently is way to powerful. Zealots very much beat hands down marines and zergs unless they get outnumbered and still do alot of damage. Proxy gating, although in my eye the definition of cheese is just to strong. It is a change I welcome, it is encouraging less bull**** early game and forcing players to learn the game and be better players.

As a Terran player I completely agree with the changes to T and it is easy to see. Reapers are overpowered a shocking amount. It forces EVERY zerg player to tech zerg speed early and get roaches, or simple as they will loose. The same with bunkers.

Siege tanks are very much lol against ground units. In my 3v3 teams I'm simply going mass Tank and its such a funny sight to see I howl everytime, having them nerfed is a good thing. It won't exactly take them out of Terran v Terran but it is nice to see.

The Battlecruiser change is slightly redundant in my eyes, as they simply don't figure much in my TvT matchups or any other, its a unit I tend to make when I want to loljizz over my opponent because I've so much more eco then them.

I really really really hope they introduce the lobby and chatrooms soon, its a downright outrage they didnt include them at the start.

**post based off official patch notes, not Team liquid**

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭VenomIreland

All I want is an "X is typing" notification when not in-game and chatting to someone :)

Advertisement