Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Lyric fm's Breakfast show presenter - Marty Whelan.

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 491 ✭✭doomed

They don't mention what that 19k compares to. You can assume that if it had gone up book on book they would be crowing about it.

They also mention that Liz Nolan's show has increased its listenership. That must be compared to when Marty had it. I am one listener who went back to lunchtime listening when Liz came back.

Yes Marty will bring new listeners to Lyric but they are outnumbered by those who leave.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

Last October I posted this on this thread.

I have to say my utter dislike for this individual taking this slot on Lyric FM has grown beyond words. And it's not just because he's doing that Tesco ad and thus saturating Irish radio. As a person he seems like a likeable man, but I really do not believe he has a place on Lyric. Here's why.

I used to love Lyric FM. I was the sort of listener who would check the time I heard a particular song and later that day, when the Lyric FM playlist was online, I'd check the name of the track. I'd then do a wide range of online searches on the singer/composer etc and usually end up purchasing something. The Spanish singer of renaissance songs Montserrat Figures and Dors mon enfant being a case in point. I have since discovered worlds of medieval spiritual music from Nóirín Ní Riain and the Monks of Glenstal Abbey to Austrian monastic monks. I am very grateful to Lyric FM for introducing me to such amazingly poignant and spiritual singers. I really appreciated the fact that Lyric FM presenters put the music ahead of their "personalities", their egos. Lyric truly was a station for people to learn, to expand their knowledge and appreciation of music from across our world. The presenter was always in the background, a mere modest and humble conduit for passing this world on to those of us who were curious. This made Lyric different, refreshing and thus serving a very valuable function on Irish radio. LyricFM was an oasis of calm and enlightenment. It allowed me to get a break from all other stations and their eternal waffle about things I have no interest in.

Now, when I attempt to avoid Morning Ireland's 10 minutes of sports and news at 8.35 and I switch over to LyricFM for calm and Marty Whelan is talking, and talking, and talking. On the rare moments that music is playing his musical taste is all over the place. There's no mood, no sentiment, no depth and no musical brand that I can discern. I resent this "personality" stuff being foisted upon LyricFM listeners at the expense of a musical style and character. I judge my presenters by the music they offer me, not their waffle. If I want talk radio, I know where Newstalk or RTÉ Radio 1 is. Believe me, I feel the same about Gay Byrne and George Hamilton, but neither of them are on Lyric FM as much as Marty Whelan is, or at prime time such as on the way to work in the morning. Sunday with Byrne is equally as objectionable for all the same reasons. All of these people would be acceptable if they got over themselves, stopped talking raiméis, developed a musical style and brand of their own and when they talked it was to enlighten us about the music. This talking shíte "personality"-driven radio taking over LyricFM is offensive on so many levels. Please note, RTÉ management.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Rebelheart wrote: »

I have to say my utter dislike for this individual taking this slot on Lyric FM has grown beyond words. And it's not just because he's doing that Tesco ad and thus saturating Irish radio. As a person he seems like a likeable man, but I really do not believe he has a place on Lyric. Here's why.

I used to love Lyric FM. I was the sort of listener who would check the time I heard a particular song and later that day, when the Lyric FM playlist was online, I'd check the name of the track. I'd then do a wide range of online searches on the singer/composer etc and usually end up purchasing something. The Spanish singer of renaissance songs Montserrat Figures and Dors mon enfant being a case in point. I have since discovered worlds of medieval spiritual music from Nóirín Ní Riain and the Monks of Glenstal Abbey to Austrian monastic monks. I am very grateful to Lyric FM for introducing me to such amazingly poignant and spiritual singers. I really appreciated the fact that Lyric FM presenters put the music ahead of their "personalities", their egos. Lyric truly was a station for people to learn, to expand their knowledge and appreciation of music from across our world. The presenter was always in the background, a mere modest and humble conduit for passing this world on to those of us who were curious. This made Lyric different, refreshing and thus serving a very valuable function on Irish radio. LyricFM was an oasis of calm and enlightenment. It allowed me to get a break from all other stations and their eternal waffle about things I have no interest in.

Now, when I attempt to avoid Morning Ireland's 10 minutes of sports and news at 8.35 and I switch over to LyricFM for calm and Marty Whelan is talking, and talking, and talking. On the rare moments that music is playing his musical taste is all over the place. There's no mood, no sentiment, no depth and no musical brand that I can discern. I resent this "personality" stuff being foisted upon LyricFM listeners at the expense of a musical style and character. I judge my presenters by the music they offer me, not their waffle. If I want talk radio, I know where Newstalk or RTÉ Radio 1 is. Believe me, I feel the same about Gay Byrne and George Hamilton, but neither of them are on Lyric FM as much as Marty Whelan is, or at prime time such as on the way to work in the morning. Sunday with Byrne is equally as objectionable for all the same reasons. All of these people would be acceptable if they got over themselves, stopped talking raiméis, developed a musical style and brand of their own and when they talked it was to enlighten us about the music. This talking shíte "personality"-driven radio taking over LyricFM is offensive on so many levels. Please note, RTÉ management.

Very well put. Like yourself, I have an interest in current affairs but that doesn't include dross like sport, out of date traffic, celeb nonsense, lotto stories, etc. I used to flick over to Lyric in the mornings for relief, but Whelan is so bloody irritating, I just switch off or get out the MP3 player. I'm an early morning walker, so I tune in from shortly after 6, where they just let the music do the talking. Come 7, Lyric is switched off!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,617 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Well said Rebelheart - I hope you've sent this into Lyric as well. Our only hope for change is a mountain of complaints. I'm just listening to morning ireland now and I often tune in right at the sport report, which I do not want to hear.

Genealogy Forum Mod

Rebelheart wrote: »

Great post. I agree with everything you say.

I think it is the sheer contempt for what Lyric was and still could be that gets me. It started out with informed presenters, generally not well known, who loved music and shared their enthusiasm and their knowledge. Now lyric is like some outlet store where recycled cheesy game show hosts and OAPs who need a pulpit can hang out.

In the small stagnant RTE pond they really believe that we should be grateful. After all these are RTE personalites. Better than Beethoven any day.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭bureau2009

doomed wrote: »
    Great post. I agree with everything you say.

I think it is the sheer contempt for what Lyric was and still could be that gets me. It started out with informed presenters, generally not well known, who loved music and shared their enthusiasm and their knowledge. Now lyric is like some outlet store where recycled cheesy game show hosts and OAPs who need a pulpit can hang out.

In the small stagnant RTE pond they really believe that we should be grateful. After all these are RTE personalites. Better than Beethoven any day.

Well said guys.

I saw Carl Corcoran at the Love:Live Music in the Sugar Club last Friday night. I had to restrain myself from accosting him and begging him to do something about Marty. My friend said I should just get over it, but I really can't.

Genealogy Forum Mod

martify (verb): to carry out an act of artistic vandalism, e.g. drawing a moustache on the mona lisa, plastering the Sistine Chapel, or ripping 3 hours a day out of a classical music station and inflicting a cheesy game show host on the listeners.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,077 ✭✭✭Rebelheart

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I saw Carl Corcoran at the Love:Live Music in the Sugar Club last Friday night. I had to restrain myself from accosting him and begging him to do something about Marty. My friend said I should just get over it, but I really can't.

hehe. :D

It gets worse: I actually saw Marty Whelan tonight.
    I did not approach.

I wanted to though.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

I think I'm going to print this thread and post it to his holiday home on the Shannon so he can read it while we get some blissful relief from him.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,404 ✭✭✭ziggyman17

Whats with all the Marty hating.. He plays a wide range of music that you would'nt hear on any other station.. Its a nice relaxing start to the day.. a good mix of classical and main stream music,,

• Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭TimmyTarmac

Gotta respectfully disagree with you there, Ziggyman17.
    It's a terrible mix of lolly pop classical and Great American songbook, crooner fare and an awful, awful lot of talking in a faux Terry Wogan way.
    It's not what Lyric is supposed to be about. That's all.

If you like it, that's great - but it should not be funded by licence fee. It should be funded privately.

Gotta respectfully disagree with you there, Ziggyman17.
    It's a terrible mix of lolly pop classical and Great American songbook, crooner fare and an awful, awful lot of talking in a faux Terry Wogan way.
    It's not what Lyric is supposed to be about. That's all.

If you like it, that's great - but it should not be funded by licence fee. It should be funded privately.

A lot of people that pay licence fee like that sort of music mix.. Id go far as say that a bigger percentage of licence payers like what marty offers.. There is 24 hours in the day, martys show takes up 3 hours.. That leaves 21 hours for hardcore classical lovers.. For what its worth I listen to lyric all day in work, at weekends too..

19,000 people like the music mix on that show, according to the last JNLR book. Thats the lowest number of listeners for a daytime programme on Lyric.
    It's just my view that it simply is not the business of the state broadcaster to allow a playlist of The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairey followed by The Beatles followed by Frank Sinatra followed by the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana followed by Phil Collins on it's Classical Music service.

It's because I listen as much as I can, like you, that this alarms me. It weakens the raison d'etre of the service. A dangerous thing to do when Colm MacCarthy is looking hard at semi state services.

19,000 people like the music mix on that show, according to the last JNLR book. Thats the lowest number of listeners for a daytime programme on Lyric.
    It's just my view that it simply is not the business of the state broadcaster to allow a playlist of The Dance of the Sugarplum Fairey followed by The Beatles followed by Frank Sinatra followed by the Intermezzo from Cavalleria Rusticana followed by Phil Collins on it's Classical Music service.

It's because I listen as much as I can, like you, that this alarms me. It weakens the raison d'etre of the service. A dangerous thing to do when Colm MacCarthy is looking hard at semi state services.

One of the main reasons they have marty on in the morning is to pull in the casual listener, who will then hopefully listen for the day and become a regular listener to the station.. as I posted earlier it is a small percentage of lyrics daily broadcast, lyric has to have a bit of variation.. JK in the afternoon has sometimes a dodgey playlist too.. but you don't hear much complaints about his show.. e.g. a instrumental version of radioheads creep.. For lyric to grow and survive they need to have a healthy amount of casual listeners (which marty caters for) as well as well informed classical music lovers.. Although I agree with you that Phil Collins should never be played on the airwaves at any time of the day.. Musical GBH to your ears..

Interestingly surgarplum fairy is how John Lennon use to count in to start a song.. Instead of doing the usual 1,2,3,4.. he would use the phrase sugarplum fairy..

Yeah, Ziggyman, would agree with you that Lyric must renew it's audience, but at the moment the Whelan experiment does not seem to be working from a critical or numbers point of view.
    I think a thousand years of classical or 'serious' music would have all the variation one might need but you have a point. There aren't enought music nerds out there to sustain it.

As for John Kelly, I also agree. His playlists are dodgy. He plays some of these self same crooners that Marty plays and some of the blandest, elevator muzak Jazz (with the odd great work thrown in, but only now and again).
    He is ,in my view, a chancer who doesn't know that much about 'serious' music and is terrified of being found out and should be beaten with the same critical stick that Marty is subjected to here.

Yeah, Ziggyman, would agree with you that Lyric must renew it's audience, but at the moment the Whelan experiment does not seem to be working from a critical or numbers point of view.
    I think a thousand years of classical or 'serious' music would have all the variation one might need but you have a point. There aren't enought music nerds out there to sustain it.

As for John Kelly, I also agree. His playlists are dodgy. He plays some of these self same crooners that Marty plays and some of the blandest, elevator muzak Jazz (with the odd great work thrown in, but only now and again).
    He is ,in my view, a chancer who doesn't know that much about 'serious' music and is terrified of being found out and should be beaten with the same critical stick that Marty is subjected to here.

True I agree with what you say.. My opinion is that Marty knows that he is chancing his arm regarding his knowledge of classical music ( but he does'nt try to hide this from the listener, which I like) while JK wings it as a connoisseur.. Marty is like that loveable uncle who always turns up at christmas and never shuts up..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭Bubblegums

Crikey, poor Marty is getting a right bashing here! :mad:

I LOVE Marty! :D

I've followed him to Lyric. He's a total joy in the morning for someone like me who isn't a morning person! We need happy people to listen to. It's not very fair for anyone to say that Marty is only pretending to know anything about classical music, how do we know??? Some people need to get out and about a bit more and stop reading so much into what he does or doesn't play!

:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Hang on a second.. Since when did you have to "know" about music to present a radio show in this country.. The DJ is long gone from national Irish radio I'm afraid (with the exception of a small gathering).
    Having said that Marty Whelan would have an extensive knowledge of music but his main role at breakfast is what it says on the thread heading.. A Presenter. That's why radio stations now employ a music director to look after the muzic hence all Marty has to do is fill the gaps with his tales of joy. I'm not sure if he'd get away with talking about The Grove mind you!

• Advertisement

I love listening to marty.. He is perfect for an early morning weekday show.. I love his wit, as well as the music he plays.. Long may he contine to present the morning show.. Its a great start to the day.. But to some lyric listeners (myself not included) he is not hardcore classical music enough,,

RTE won't let Marty near their two main radio stations. He's a nice man and much of an age with the people who make the decisions so they make it up to him by giving him 15 hours a week of lyric (or Radio 1B as they see it).

Its typical RTE delusional stuff. The idea that Lyric's listeners wouldn't want an "RTE personality" simply doesn't occur to them. For every new listener he is driving at least one away.

If RTE really wanted to bring in more listeners they could have made a feature of Marty's lack of knowledge. The programme could be a voyage of discovery for Marty and the listener with a classical playlist. Give him so much music to get through that there is less time left over for the inane patter.
    • Less chat
    • Ditch the great American songbook and Phil Collins (he ruined Genesis as well)
    • Take Marty's name out of the title

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

I'm don't agree and goes against what I believe RTE are doing and that's de sensitise Lryic as the "members club" and attract normal Joe Soap to the station. Once again if they wanted someone who knew everything about the classical world to present the show they could have hired the head honcho of the classical music club of Ireland. They wanted a presenter who might attract a different type of listener. Something Lyric needs if it wants to survive.

bbability wrote: »
    I'm don't agree and goes against what I believe RTE are doing and that's de sensitise Lryic as the "members club" and attract normal Joe Soap to the station. Once again if they wanted someone who knew everything about the classical world to present the show they could have hired the head honcho of the classical music club of Ireland. They wanted a presenter who might attract a different type of listener. Something Lyric needs if it wants to survive.

I appreciate the point you are making. As a member of the Soap family myself I am all for increasing the Lyric audience and bringing in people who don't normally listen to classical music. IMO they are just going about it the wrong way. There is no point in Lyric surviving by becoming a clone of Radio 1 or 2FM.

Shows like Movies and Musicals will do far more to bring people in than Marty.

As someone who started out listening to nothing but rock (still like it) I was introduced to classical music gradually by presenters who knew their music but were able to present it in an accessable way. I think RTE are patronising the soap family by assuming that they need a Marty to attract them in. Its not working.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,798 ✭✭✭goose2005

Hang on a second.. Since when did you have to "know" about music to present a radio show in this country.. The DJ is long gone from national Irish radio I'm afraid (with the exception of a small gathering).
    Having said that Marty Whelan would have an extensive knowledge of music but his main role at breakfast is what it says on the thread heading.. A Presenter. That's why radio stations now employ a music director to look after the muzic hence all Marty has to do is fill the gaps with his tales of joy. I'm not sure if he'd get away with talking about The Grove mind you!

Really?Would you put him on a reggae station? A rock station? Any genre station whatsoever? Why should classic be an exception?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,879 ✭✭✭Coriolanus

How does the fact that he's actually bleeding listeners in any way help the station?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,490 ✭✭✭Almaviva

Hang on a second.. Since when did you have to "know" about music to present a radio show in this country

Never for pop music. There just isnt that much to it.

Always for classical music. A depth of knowledge of the subject is needed to present it well. And Marty sure aint got it. But pop music probably suits him well where you dont really need a knowledge of anything. Send him back there and inflict him on someone else.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 419 ✭✭Dirigent

Nevore wrote: »
    How does the fact that he's actually bleeding listeners in any way help the station?

Bleeding? I'd go closer to eviscerating. I know of no other music presenter who attempts to daa-dee-dum the overture he's just played.

Edit: I just have to say how much I enjoyed this morning's "Marty" show. With the wonderful Trish Taylor presenting.

Maybe Marty will go on extended summer holidays like the other RTE elder lemons? I live in hope...

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 429 ✭✭ghiertal

Marty gone off to Germany for the week. Wonder will he immerse himself in Bach, Beethoven etc. in the home of some of the best orchestras and choirs of the world. Oh no, he is going over to commentate on eurovision. Never thought i'd write that about a presenter (who is given most airtime) on Lyric fm. Really is shameful indictment of RTE. Anyway, let's be thankful for small mercies and enjoy the week with Trish.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement