Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tolling: Maximum Toll per month concept

• 26-08-2010 5:31pm
    Registered Users Posts: 740 ✭✭✭

I don't know how this might work or whether it would find favour with the transport companies or toll operators but I wonder if there was some way in which a central system could be introduced for transport companies.

The transport company would then pay a set fee per month for each toll tag they own which would then allow them to use the motorway system without having to pay everytime they encountered a toll. At the end of the month toll operators would then be reimbursed depending on how much their toll had been used to the monthly fee, until the monthy fee has been exhausted.

There would have to be some mechanism to cover situations where the actual amount of tolls exceeds the monthly fee paid. There also would probably have to be some usage bands so that higher users would pay higher fees. But such a concept would allow transport companies to budget a set amount for their toll usage and would encourage them to use the motorway network as opposed to continuing to trundle through towns and village in order to avoid toll roads.

I'm not sure if this would work but I'd be interested in what other people thought about such an idea.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,487 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

There's no way the state/NRA could force such a system through on existing concessions - but I could see something along the lines of this being offered by CRG at Waterford due to the appalling takeup of the bypass by hauliers etc. Getting a heavily reduced sum off them is better than getting nothing at all.

Advertisement