Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

New Saab 9-5 getting poor reviews vs 520d

Options
  • 25-08-2010 3:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭

I had high hopes for the new 9-5 but if the UK magazines are to believed it is a relatively poor car in several areas. Ride comfort, refinement, seats, build quality, performance. Boot space also relatively small given the size of the car.

What Car gives it a bad review in a group test and here is an Autocar review
    http://www.autocar.co.uk/CarReviews/RoadTestsHistory/Saab-9-5-2.0-TiD-Vector-SE/252413/

I am thinking of a car in this class and was hoping the 9-5 would offer a better riding, conventional tyred alternative to the new 520d. But it appears that the 520d rides better and is also better in pretty much every area. The only downside that I can see is the standard RFTs and nowhere to put a spare wheel.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Stevie Dakota

A pity for those who would like to see SAAB do well, doesn't look like that will happen with this car. With the Superb at one end and the 5 series at the other, it's a tough time try and make any kind of inroads into this sector.

And that altimeter style speedo is really laughable. For SAAB to still be referencing it's aerospace days is just sad, time to move on.

• Registered Users Posts: 65,037 ✭✭✭✭unkel

The reviews I read weren't great either unfortunately. But maybe the 9-5 has enough going for it? Great (and different!) looks, decent underpinnings. Did they get the level of comfort right?

Not really fair to compare it to a 5-series BMW. Saabs never had to compete with BMWs in the past and don't need to now either.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

unkel wrote: »
    The reviews I read weren't great either unfortunately. But maybe the 9-5 has enough going for it? Great (and different!) looks, decent underpinnings. Did they get the level of comfort right?

Not really fair to compare it to a 5-series BMW. Saabs never had to compete with BMWs in the past and don't need to now either.

In the past, they were always in a different price bracket to the 5 Series, spec for spec anyway.

Now the 5 Series is reasonably priced and fairly highly specced, the bar has been raised.

€42,300 for a 2.0Tid (160bhp) 9-5 Vector Auto : €43,964 for a 520d SE Auto

Comparable Spec on both (Bluetooth, Leather). Saab costs €630 a year to tax, BMW costs €156

Fuel consumption on the 5 Series will be less, resale will be much better on the 5 series so it's a much better overall prospect than the 9-5 from a cost basis.

The likes of Saab and Volvo really need to take a good look at the competition and the market if they want to compete.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,374 ✭✭✭Saab Ed

Well atleast they shouldn't be seen in the same light but everybody wants to lump everything in to a set category these days hence the comparison.

Car magazine put it up against the new S60 last month and it did well. Its never going to touch a 5 series on dynamics but they reckoned its very comfy so the Volvo comparison was more in keeping with how it should be classed. Huge car too and the interior is just sublime. Added to the fact its a Saab so its cool by default ;):D

For me the test is the next A6 next year. Skoda comparisons aint on either. Its still Skoda or a modern day Granada without the fun handling. Lots of car but zero qudos :P

• Registered Users Posts: 8,301 ✭✭✭BrianD3

Not sure of the pricing of the 9-5, it can't be too much less than the 520d? Historically Saab may have had a strong enough image to avoid having to compete with BMW but I don't think that's the case now. Also consumers are more cynical/demanding now. So I think the car will have to be judged on its merits. And if the reviews are to be believed it is not even competitive with the much cheaper Skoda Superb or near obsolete Audi A6, let alone with the new 5 series.

As regards comfort, What Car made a point of saying the seats were poor, the ride was poor and the refinement was poor. Unforgivable flaws in this car in my view.

Then again, these magazines are sometimes full of bullcrap.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Saab Ed wrote: »
    Well atleast they shouldn't be seen in the same light but everybody wants to lump everything in to a set category these days hence the comparison.

Car magazine put it up against the new S60 last month and it did well. Its never going to touch a 5 series on dynamics but they reckoned its very comfy so the Volvo comparison was more in keeping with how it should be classed. Huge car too and the interior is just sublime. Added to the fact its a Saab so its cool by default ;):D

For me the test is the next A6 next year. Skoda comparisons aint on either. Its still Skoda or a modern day Granada without the fun handling. Lots of car but zero qudos :P
    I agree with Saab Ed here. However I was shocked to see that the Saab 95 is only €1664 cheaper than a 5 series with similar spec and much better CO2 figures.
    I wonder will the Saab break down as much as the BMW though.....? (being Diesel and all)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,186 ✭✭✭PADRAIC.M

yeah not a great comparison really but getting a drive in the new 9-5 either this week or next when it lands here in the dealer i work in...

• Registered Users Posts: 12,678 ✭✭✭✭R.O.R

cadaliac wrote: »
    I agree with Saab Ed here. However I was shocked to see that the Saab 95 is only €1664 cheaper than a 5 series with similar spec and much better CO2 figures.
    I wonder will the Saab break down as much as the BMW though.....? (being Diesel and all)

It's using the GM 2.0CDTi 160bhp unit, which seems to have overcome initial teething problems and isn't giving trouble in the Insignia now.

I haven't been near a new 9-5, but I was in a new S60 yesterday. It's nice, but it's overpriced for the size of the car. It's nowhere near the size of the 5 Series and is competing in the 3 series bracket, but is priced towards the 5 Series / E-Class.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,159 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

If fairness the new 9-5 was probably 95% developed under GM ownership, given their track record with Saab the 9-5 was never going to really be a 5 Series challenger except maybe on price. FWD on basic models probably didn't stack in it's favour either. To be honest traditionally Saab like Volvo and perhaps Alfa Romeo never competed directly with the big 3 German marques, always seen them as like a lower league to them.

Apparently the next 9-3 was well under developement by GM too before the sale so I'd say it is going to take some time for Spyker to start pumping their dna into Saab models.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,648 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

And that altimeter style speedo is really laughable. For SAAB to still be referencing it's aerospace days is just sad, time to move on.

What! Thats fcuking deadly!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I know it's not built for speed but is it just me or is it alarmingly slow?

R.O.R wrote: »
    It's using the GM 2.0CDTi 160bhp unit, which seems to have overcome initial teething problems and isn't giving trouble in the Insignia now.

It's actually based on the old 1.9 litre Fiat Multi-Jet engine.

BrianD3 wrote: »
    As regards comfort, What Car made a point of saying the seats were poor, the ride was poor and the refinement was poor. Unforgivable flaws in this car in my view.

Agreed. The seats need to be about the best in the business, like they were for previous Saabs. Apparantly there is an optional electronic suspension on the new 9-5. I haven't seen it reviewed yet. Anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

bazz26 wrote: »
    It's actually based on the old 1.9 litre Fiat Multi-Jet engine.

....are you sure of that ?....I've never heard of the M-Jet engine being described as noisy/rough/lethargic, which had me wondering if Saab had strayed away from it for this car.........and the M-Jet bing 1908cc is usually badged as a 1.9, which makes me wonder, too.........

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭maddness

Skoda comparisons aint on either. Its still Skoda or a modern day Granada without the fun handling. Lots of car but zero qudos :P[/QUOTE]

Have you driven a current model Superb?

galwaytt wrote: »
    ....are you sure of that ?....I've never heard of the M-Jet engine being described as noisy/rough/lethargic, which had me wondering if Saab had strayed away from it for this car.........and the M-Jet bing 1908cc is usually badged as a 1.9, which makes me wonder, too.........

From here, about half way down the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

Vertakill wrote: »
    I know it's not built for speed but is it just me or is it alarmingly slow?

Good god:
    But when viewed next to any level of competition – a 138bhp Ford Mondeo 2.0 TDCi managed 10.0sec to 60mph in our road test – it becomes evident that the Saab is barely average.
    The 9-5’s biggest problem, though, is that to extract even this performance requires holding what feels like an unnaturally low gear for real-world driving. Our in-gear figures show how significant this is. The Saab manages 20-40mph in third gear in 6.1sec, whereas a Skoda Superb with 20bhp and 19lb ft less manages it in 5.1sec. A more relevant real-world in-gear time is 30-50mph in fourth gear, which the Skoda manages in 6.0sec, a full two seconds quicker than the Saab.
    Bear in mind the Skoda is hardly a performance orientated model. The BMW must obliterate it. 10 year old diesels are doing better than that, let alone a brand new 2010/11 model
    And man is it ugly.
    bazz26 wrote: »
    From here, about half way down the page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/JTD_engine
    Well regardless, the Fiat/Alfa JTD engines are not crappy in their own models. Definately better performance wise than VAG units, which the Saab clearly isnt.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Well regardless, the Fiat/Alfa JTD engines are not crappy in their own models. Definately better performance wise than VAG units, which the Saab clearly isnt.

I agree totally, just making the point that the 2.0 litre unit is a Fiat engine rather than a GM unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,903 ✭✭✭cadaliac

Have you driven a current model Superb?[/QUOTE]

Well, I have and they are crap. Woeful handeling and plauged by nose diving when braking.
    The lesser engines are boomy at 120kph and ...........

They have lots of space.

• Registered Users Posts: 604 ✭✭✭mumblin deaf ro

From reviews I have read, a lot seems to depend on the spec of 9-5 - the diesels are a bit noisy and some though not all reviewers say it is sluggish (shame because most sold here will be diesels) but the 2.0T petrol and the V6 are supposed to be great, esp with the HiPerStrut suspension.

Here is Honest john's review (generally find him good)

http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/saab/9-5-2010/?

Saab is not going to knock BMW off their perch - Saab has been doing about one new car a decade, compared to BMW which seems to have something new out every week. The 9-5 is pitched at the A6 rather than the 5 series.

SAAB dealers need to offer some really good discounts to tempt buyers in (or back). SAAB has aggressively entered the company car market in sweden with the 9-5 offering guaranteed residuals after three years.

I reckon a 9-5 facelift in a couple of years will inject a bit of Saab/Spyker edge to the car and improve it a lot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

I reckon a 9-5 facelift in a couple of years will inject a bit of Saab/Spyker edge to the car and improve it a lot.

Lets hope, by then, Spyker introduce some thoughts about speed/power coz they seem to be lacking in that department.

10.3s to 60mph? 25 seconds to 100mph? No thanks.

As I said before, I know it's not built for speed, but either is the 520D and it manages an extra 20 odd bhp and 2 seconds off the 0-60 time in the same category.

Vertakill wrote: »
    Lets hope, by then, Spyker introduce some thoughts about speed/power coz they seem to be lacking in that department.
    Saab, not Spyker! Spyker already solved that on their own models... they cut the crap and just go straight to top end Audi engines.

Agreed the 160BHP diesel drags down the 9-5. The 220BHP turbo petrol would be much more like it, what are the emissions (motor tax) on that one? This car is huge. The base version is both longer and heavier than the base version of the previous generation BMW 7-series. And we're comparing 1.6l petrol 4 pot manual for the Saab vs 2.8l 6 pot automatic for the BMW here!!!

The 160BHP diesel doesn't even seem to be available in most countries. Another Irish famine spec special?
    SAAB dealers need to offer some really good discounts to tempt buyers in (or back).

I thought I read somewhere that big dealer discounts are a no no

I haven't heard anything about discounts in Ireland. I think Saab will need to price the 9-5 below the A6 - I can't see Saab just saying 'hey guys - we're back' and then expect everyone to leap out of their German exec saloons. At the very least they will need to offer a good trade-in on existing Saabs á la the loyalty bonus being offered in the US.

Agreed the 160BHP diesel drags down the 9-5. The 220BHP turbo petrol would be much more like it, what are the emissions (motor tax) on that one? This car is huge. The base version is both longer and heavier than the base version of the previous generation BMW 7-series. And we're comparing 1.6l petrol 4 pot manual for the Saab vs 2.8l 6 pot automatic for the BMW here!!!
    If thats true then the 220bhp petrol would still have inferior bhp/ton than the weener base version of the very old 7 series. I assume you are talking about the e38, afaik the base version of the late model e38's and e60s was the 235-270bhp 730i anyhow, so still a lot better than Saabs petrol effort.

Looks like they should have died gracefully instead of the buyout.

The 220BHP turbo petrol has CO2 of 198 g/KM - €1050 motor tax, i.e. forgeddaboutit.

Matt Simis wrote: »
    Looks like they should have died gracefully instead of the buyout.

It's clear you don't like Saab, but we do :)

I really hope the new 9-5 (that we feel looks great but you feel looks crap) will work out :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,881 ✭✭✭patrickc

It's clear you don't like Saab, but we do :)

I really hope the new 9-5 (that we feel looks great but you feel looks crap) will work out :)

yeh it will hopefully like new models of most cars teething problems will happen with the 1st year of it, hopefully when I've the cash and can buy it, it'll be well sorted:)

Ficus wrote: »
    The saab group still make a lot of military aircraft and aircraft defense systems.
    They also make sub-frame structures for airbus and Boeing so i wouldn't see anything sad about showing a little of that off in its cars.

There's no such thing as the Saab group when it comes to cars in recent decades. Saab cars were unfortunately in the hands of crap American car makers General Motors for many years which nearly killed everything Saab ever stood for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Sikie

2.0litre 160hp and poor CO2 says everything.

The engine technology evolution to be class leading should be pushing close to 200hp for a 2.0 diesel and getting band B CO2 emmissions.

Saab are simply cobbling bits and pieces together and calling it a "new car"

Advertisement