Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why are ebooks not cheaper than paper books ?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,785 ✭✭✭mailforkev

There is VAT on eBooks but none on printed books, that makes up some of the difference,

The rest is profit.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Plowman wrote: »

I only used to buy second hand books, because I could go to somewhere like abesbooks.com and get them cheaper. The author would see none of that money. Now that I have an eBook Reader I buy all my books online from legit stores. The author does see that money.

The various industries need to learn how to embrace these technologies, rather than shutting out people who want to buy a product in a format that suits them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,798 ✭✭✭syngindub

surprised nobody has mentioned irc for e-books.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,555 ✭✭✭Kinski

I really wish someone would produce an e-reader that could display PDFs properly. There must be a significant untapped market out there amongst academics and students. They download PDF articles from journals - and print them out - all the time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

I agree; they will suffer from illegal downloading - there are some people who just don't attach any value to IP and see it as their right to download for free.

But ignoring the medium of eBooks is a stupid approach for them. If the music industry had embraced MP3s much earlier and didn't have stupidly high prices - then perhaps they would be in better shape.

They need to tackle it head on and give people a reason to purchase books legitimately rather than downloading dodgy versions, rather than hoping it will go away. I've not used it, but I think Amazon's really tight integration with the Kindle is a brilliant idea, and what so many people want. They are happy to pay for an eBook, but want it to be good value and available at the same time as the print version.

Advertisement