Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Extension Construction - 4 Foot Sewage pipe in line of foundations

Options
  • 24-08-2010 8:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

Currently building a rear extension in a semi-detached house in Dublin.

Came home to today to some good progress but I noticed that there was a 4 foot sewage pipe half sticking out of the ground where the builder had excavated around it. There was always a "biscuit" tin drain there but had no idea there was such a large pipe underneath it.

This is directly in line with the path of the extension wall.

My question is, are there planning issues associated with this pipe and (somehow) laying foundations and building a wall on it while at the same time maintaining access to the system underneath?

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,770 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

4 foot?

Is 4 foot diameter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭Builderfromhell

Perhaps you mean 4" sewer pipe.
    You need to stop work immediately and get professional advice.
    I don't want to discuss all the possibilities for among other reasons I don't think forum rules permit.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

Put lintols over the drain where walls are built over
    Run "dry" drains at 45 degree angles on plan out beyond the extension with AJ at each terminal

BUT - having read your other thread here take careful heed

Hire an Architect , Architectural Technician or Engineer NOW

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Its a 4 foot concrete access pipe.

See attached image.

The neighbours had something similiar and the builder used a smaller access opening.

The red lines indicate the path of the wall.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,089 ✭✭✭henryporter

You mean its a manhole. Not a good idea to build over it as it provides access to some form of sewerage piping and you don't want to have someone calling to you to unblock a sewer in your extension ever. My advice (as an architect) is change the plan to avoid the manhole at all costs.

I just looked at the link to the other thread as well - you need to get a professional in to sort this out for you - they will give you more options than a boards discussion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

It just provides access to a 6" half pipe running though the manhole chamber. Nothing else. Bloody pain!!

Cant change the plans, the wall has to go over that thing. Thats the main wall and the extension doesn't work otherwise - the original builders of the estate should be shot in my laymans opinion.

Are there any other options?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

+1 to henryporter

There is nothing else we can add here . You have the best advice a forum can offer so now you need "real life" assistance .

Thread locked .

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement