Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Rear Extension - Builder not digging up existing rear footpath

Options
  • 23-08-2010 7:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭

Hi,

I am getting a new rear extension built on a semi-detached house in Dublin. The house is about 20 years old. The rear extension is going out the back. The builder started excavating today, digging up the garden for the new floor but left the existing footpath. I queried this and he said that it was concrete and no point in digging it up and it would just be used as the base for the new floor.

I have no idea if this is the correct thing to do or if corners are being cut.

Can someone advise?

thanks a lot.

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Its inside the room rather then where blockwork will be laid?

Just thinking construction forum might be more suited

• Registered Users Posts: 303 ✭✭gimpotronitus

Yes its inside the room, not part of the foundations.

Sorry, please move to relevant forum, thanks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 19,340 CMod ✭✭✭✭Davy

Yes its inside the room, not part of the foundations.

It shouldn't be a problem then depending on floor levels. If he was laying the blocks on it i would be concerned.

Sorry, please move to relevant forum, thanks.

Not a mod here so no can do. One of the mods here will move it if they think its move suited elsewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

If it was me i would insist that the footpath be taking up where the extension is going. There will be on steel or mesh in the footpath

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

How far below floor level is the path?

• Advertisement

mp22 wrote: »
    How far below floor level is the path?

Approximately 18cm below.

According to the contract, the floor config will be:

• 550mm Clause 804 stone
    • 50mm sand binding
    • Radon Barrier
    • 100mm Insulation
    • 150mm 25n 10mm Concrete Finish

thanks.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 6,854 Mod ✭✭✭✭mp22

Ask him how is he going to fit the radon barrier,insulation and 150 mm concrete into a 180mm space?(you might want to stand back while he thinks about it)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,556 ✭✭✭✭AckwelFoley

Foothpath comes out.. how else are the walls going to be built to the existing building without blocking on the path?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,389 ✭✭✭Carlow52

snyper wrote: »
    Foothpath comes out.. how else are the walls going to be built to the existing building without blocking on the path?

+ 1
    It has to come out.

Take plenty fotos:)

Big risk, apart from/as well as the litany above, is differential settlement = big crack in wall/floor

• Registered Users Posts: 2,930 ✭✭✭Martron

its pure laziness on his part. there is not guarentee what the path is sitting on.

as carlow said differential settlement would be my main worry here. because it in the actual floor rather than the foundation technically it should not be an issue. but it be hell of a job to fix when the floor is down.

get him to pull it out.

• Advertisement

snyper wrote: »

Im guessing part of it is gone, leaving the bit that will be inside the new build cut off from the rest

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fries-With-That

mp22 wrote: »
    Ask him how is he going to fit the radon barrier,insulation and 150 mm concrete into a 180mm space?(you might want to stand back while he thinks about it)

I think this poster has summed it up nicely, ask your builder this question.

I'd refrain from watching the good the bad and the ugly whilst you wait for his response.

If you don't get a proper answer or one that fulfills the spec you have on the contract, it might be time to consider an independant engineer to oversee the works.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,695 ✭✭✭galwaydude18

just get him to cut it with a consaw and then with the bucket of his digger lift it out. It shouldnt take any more than a half hour to do. Anything else is lazyiness so he can line his pocket with the money he would use by doing it incorrectly and skimping on materials and labour.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,656 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

Thread moved to construction forum

Thanks for the responses, didnt feel right. Will speak to him today and get it sorted.

thanks again.

Advertisement