Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Meath Restaurant Reviews

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hamsterchen

dixiefly wrote: »
    It is no longer under the same ownership as Khan Spices in Trim.

thank you, that must be the reason. they used to be really good but now ...

• Registered Users Posts: 2,360 ✭✭✭washiskin

Was travelling on the N2 on Friday night and found myself drawn to Sola Bia about 3 miles south of Slane as I was famished.
    The evening menu was small but tempting and ranges from €20 for two or €25for three courses. Extras (Chunky Chips, Side Salad etc.) are €3.00.

I had Prawns with Pasta & Chorizo to start and Cod with Caper Mash and Asparagus for mains. OH had Soup (which came with a fab cornbread roll) and a Fillet Steak for main - said the steak was the best he ever had.
    With tea & a soft drink it was about €45 for us both and I can honestly say it was absolutely delicious - extremely well presented and the staff were great.
    It seems to be a hidden gem at the moment but word is spreading. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

washiskin wrote: »
    Was travelling on the N2 on Friday night and found myself drawn to Sola Bia about 3 miles south of Slane as I was famished.
    The evening menu was small but tempting and ranges from €20 for two or €25for three courses. Extras (Chunky Chips, Side Salad etc.) are €3.00.

I had Prawns with Pasta & Chorizo to start and Cod with Caper Mash and Asparagus for mains. OH had Soup (which came with a fab cornbread roll) and a Fillet Steak for main - said the steak was the best he ever had.
    With tea & a soft drink it was about €45 for us both and I can honestly say it was absolutely delicious - extremely well presented and the staff were great.
    It seems to be a hidden gem at the moment but word is spreading. :)

Where abouts is that? Thats not the place beside the (Brink) petrol station is it?

draffodx wrote: »
    Where abouts is that? Thats not the place beside the (Brink) petrol station is it?

That's the one. I think it's gone through a few of changes in the last couple of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭jarvis

Was there at the weekend and Thr food was really good. It's a carvery and all mains are €9.95. Kids meals are €4.95. My wife and I had bison and my child had pizza and chips. All 3 of us had a soft drink, then a tea, a latte and 3 cakes. All for €40!!! There was plenty of staff too which was good to see. Will definitely go back. You can go to the restaurant without entering the park. Anyone else try it. I think it beats a lot of the other Sunday lunch type offerings.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 unsub101

Speaking of Sola Bia and Tayto Park, I was in Sola Bia two weeks ago on a Friday night. It seemed to be quiet in there, but the food was brill. The chef came around to the tables after and somehow Tayto Park came into conversation, he was also involved in the opening of Tayto Park. If Sola Bia is anything to go by, I will definitely be taking a visit to Tayto Park!! Not sure about the Bison though....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,359 ✭✭✭Access

The loft in navan is quite good - been going there for some time now, even had a few birthdays for myself and the missus, and a few family parties, but the portion sizes were getting smaller and smaller over the past year to the point that we dont go there anymore. pity though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Sunshinex

I like the loft too, it's great for vegetarians. Didn't notice the portion size thing, I always think they are big. Staff are very nice and accomodating. The only things I don't that I've had are the pizza (too crispy, not enough sauce) and the goats cheese foccacia starter (very stingy with the cheese, get the goats cheese salad instead). The ground floor in kells is it's sister restaurant and similarly good. Worst restaurant in Meath has to be the red chilli pepper in navan, no one liked what they got, no atmosphere, no dessert menu, like a bad takeaway with cheap waterproof tablecloths. I'm curious about Poseidon in trimgate street navan. Love marinis and the Russell. Is Gusto's on railway st still there? That was beautiful but always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 570 ✭✭✭Stroke Politics

Sunshinex wrote: »
    I like the loft too, it's great for vegetarians. Didn't notice the portion size thing, I always think they are big. Staff are very nice and accomodating. The only things I don't that I've had are the pizza (too crispy, not enough sauce) and the goats cheese foccacia starter (very stingy with the cheese, get the goats cheese salad instead). The ground floor in kells is it's sister restaurant and similarly good. Worst restaurant in Meath has to be the red chilli pepper in navan, no one liked what they got, no atmosphere, no dessert menu, like a bad takeaway with cheap waterproof tablecloths. I'm curious about Poseidon in trimgate street navan. Love marinis and the Russell. Is Gusto's on railway st still there? That was beautiful but always empty.

Gusto's is well gone, had one awful Caesar salad once, tasted like it wass straight out of one of those puffed-up-with-preservatives salad bags you get in the Supermarkets. It is now a tex-mex place, El Toro Loco, which is an unfortunate name to pick for a steakhouse if you're concerned about mad cows. Haven't been there, mind.....

jarvis wrote: »
    Was there at the weekend and Thr food was really good. It's a carvery and all mains are €9.95. Kids meals are €4.95. My wife and I had bison and my child had pizza and chips. All 3 of us had a soft drink, then a tea, a latte and 3 cakes. All for €40!!! There was plenty of staff too which was good to see. Will definitely go back. You can go to the restaurant without entering the park. Anyone else try it. I think it beats a lot of the other Sunday lunch type offerings.
    Went there on the weekend after your recommendation - wow!! The food was absolutely brilliant - A. Turkey (2 huge slices) with 3 salads (the roasted peppers were a triumph) Tea
    B. Beef Madras with Rice & 3 Salads - OH unable to finish theirs (now that's a first!) less than €22!!! I mean where would you get it?
    We went to the Park too thinking it would be a kind of "Craggy Island Funfair" place but were we wrong :o It was really lovely and will mature nicely into a great spot - very relaxed atmosphere. Looking forward to going back.

• Advertisement

washiskin wrote: »
    Went there on the weekend after your recommendation - wow!! The food was absolutely brilliant - A. Turkey (2 huge slices) with 3 salads (the roasted peppers were a triumph) Tea
    B. Beef Madras with Rice & 3 Salads - OH unable to finish theirs (now that's a first!) less than €22!!! I mean where would you get it?
    We went to the Park too thinking it would be a kind of "Craggy Island Funfair" place but were we wrong :o It was really lovely and will mature nicely into a great spot - very relaxed atmosphere. Looking forward to going back.

Yeah it's great and you can go to the restaurant without going to the park. So not just a spot for the kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

O`briens johnstown always good for steak and chicken wings ....yum yum

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Vego wrote: »
    O`briens johnstown always good for steak and chicken wings ....yum yum
    we stopped going to o'briens about a year ago as although initially we found it decent, the last few times we went it was very hit & miss and there was a rwal feeling that the staff just couldn't care less, with the exception of the barman who was very entertaining.

had 3 bad meals out of 4 in a row and that was it for us.

we've actually almost completely stopped eating out altogether and have started using the internet for recipe ideas and making our 'going out' meals at home instead and we're better for it both health & nutrition wise & in our pockets.

the only exception so far is copper & spices in navan as even though i did their cookery course there i still can't make a fresh curry as well as they do, highly recommended (again). :)

• Registered Users Posts: 306 ✭✭RebelSniper

Oriental Palace is just outside the shopping centre above Donaghues electricals.

The staff are friendly, food is great and the smell... Well you can guess yourself.

Its a chinese which is a big Pro for me as I love chinese food, The menu has a large variety of foods, chickens, ducks, prawn crackers :)

It maybe a bit packed at times becoming slow but its well worth it,

Bon Appetite, Or however it is in China.

• Registered Users Posts: 510 ✭✭✭Fursttimer

unsub101 wrote: »
    Speaking of Sola Bia and Tayto Park, I was in Sola Bia two weeks ago on a Friday night. It seemed to be quiet in there, but the food was brill. The chef came around to the tables after and somehow Tayto Park came into conversation, he was also involved in the opening of Tayto Park. If Sola Bia is anything to go by, I will definitely be taking a visit to Tayto Park!! Not sure about the Bison though....

Went to Sola Bia yesterday and it wasn't very nice. How can you go wrong with a Turkey & Ham dinner? It wasn't presented very well and it tasted worse. I wouldn't server the Ceaser Salad with piri piri flavoured chicken to my a stray dog. The other half had the roast beef dinner. Didn't like it either. I won't be stopping off at Sola Bia when I pass by in future.

Slop dinner with poor quality meat.

PS: Numerous first-time posters in the Drogheda restaurant section give positive reviews on places. Seems it's caught on in this section too.

• Registered Users Posts: 58,456 ✭✭✭✭ibarelycare

Fursttimer wrote: »
    Went to Sola Bia yesterday and it wasn't very nice. How can you go wrong with a Turkey & Ham dinner? It wasn't presented very well and it tasted worse. I wouldn't server the Ceaser Salad with piri piri flavoured chicken to my a stray dog. The other half had the roast beef dinner. Didn't like it either. I won't be stopping off at Sola Bia when I pass by in future.

PS: Numerous first-time posters in the Drogheda restaurant section give positive reviews on places. Seems it's caught on in this section too.

;)

Fursttimer wrote: »

Re the positive reviews.
    People ate treating this thread like recommend a restaurant rather than review. I don't mind the positiveness as long as it's accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,011 ✭✭✭Vego

Oriental Palace is just outside the shopping centre above Donaghues electricals.

The staff are friendly, food is great and the smell... Well you can guess yourself.

Its a chinese which is a big Pro for me as I love chinese food, The menu has a large variety of foods, chickens, ducks, prawn crackers :)

It maybe a bit packed at times becoming slow but its well worth it,

Bon Appetite, Or however it is in China.

Agreed nice take away food aswell

• Registered Users Posts: 3,411 ✭✭✭The Davestator

Ate in La Bucca, Dunboyne on Tues night with their 'Tennerfest' menu. Food was beautiful as usual, but i found the special menu offers a bit confusing. Service was great, but i couldnt work out what was on special or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I was in Sola Bia last Saturday on the way home from Dublin at around 5pm, there was 4 in the party and all agreed that the food was lovely.

I got the Club sandwich and it was the nicest club sandwich I have ever ate anywhere, the chips that came with it were also lovely.

Others had the omelette which was again very nice and was a nice portion for 4 euros, the piri piri chicken ceaser salad which was cleaned off the plate and the ham panini which was also very nice.

Along with two cokes and two teas it came to €40.

All in all I would definitely recommend it, nice food and good value.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33 Seeking Self

I visited a while ago, and it was lovely. It was mid week and we the only people there so I can't say much for the atmosphere, but the staff were friendly and their menu contains a great range of Mexican and Texan food. I would really recommend it. We ate from the early bird menue which I think was either €15 or €20 for two courses, and it had quite an extensive selection. They had vegetarian options and if I remember correctly, there was some vegan options too. In conclusion, a well decorated, well ran restaurant, which provides greats food and an authentic experience. Five stars! We're planning to return for a birthday meal next week, if that's enough recommendation for anyone! :cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭Slimbo

Hi All,
    I have recently opened the Poets Rest in Slane County Meath as an Argentinean themed steak & seafood house.
    I don't know if this post is politically correct but I would like to let people know we are open and that hopefully we will be back on the review thread in a positive way when people try it.
    I have another thread opened in the immediate regional areas and was PM'd to promote the business here, as we need all the PR we get.
    My apologies if I offended anyone by my business plug,but who better to promote a restaurant to than people who love food.
    Regards,
    Liam

• Closed Accounts Posts: 43 hamsterchen

in the Newbarn Farm near Ashbourne. It's delicious and very good prices. Their bbq pork ribs are to die for, yum yum. I am on the very petite side but I cleaned the whole rack and would eat the bones if my teeth were sharp enough. And they have the most fantastic chips. Their cakes are also fantastic and they server homemade ice-cream. The best invested 10 euro ever :D

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,397 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hammer Archer

Went to Café Massimo in Ratoath (next to the post office) last weekend for dinner and it was fantastic. I would actually prefer it to La Bucca in Ratoath as it is much smaller and quieter (La Bucca usually has lots of kids running around it) but the food was just as good as La Bucca's. Service was excellent and the waiters were extremely friendly.

Definitely going back in the near future.

Went to Café Massimo in Ratoath (next to the post office) last weekend for dinner and it was fantastic. I would actually prefer it to La Bucca in Ratoath as it is much smaller and quieter (La Bucca usually has lots of kids running around it) but the food was just as good as La Bucca's. Service was excellent and the waiters were extremely friendly.

Definitely going back in the near future.

I ate in Massimos a few weekends ago after a few recommendations. Was very disappointed. Service was good and it's a lovely little restaurant, but garlic bread was very dry and pizzas were extremely bland. I had to overload mine with chilli oil just to get some flavour off it.

I stayed in the Marriott in Ashbourne on Friday night and we went to Cinnamon Garden in the town for dinner. Absolutely beautiful Indian restaurant. I did a bit of research before we went, and Paulo Tullio has even given it rave reviews. Really modern cuisine, not like any other Indian I've eaten in. The menu is small for an Indian, only about 20 main courses and I hadn't heard of a lot of them, but if you ask for a traditional dish that's not on the menu, they're happy to make it for you. Service was fantastic, food was absolutely gorgeous. Maybe slightly more expensive than other Indians I've eaten in but definitely worth it. Really looking forward to eating there again.

• Registered Users Posts: 698 ✭✭✭Rossin

had lunch in seomra tae on sat, absolutely gorgeous little spot

have a look at the pics here http://www.facebook.com/seomra.tae1

oh its in Duleek by the way :D

• Registered Users Posts: 26 jack321

La bucca won the best restaurant in meath recently - and rightly so the wings are to die for

• Registered Users Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

Slimbo wrote: »
    I don't know if this post is politically correct but I would like to let people know we are open and that hopefully we will be back on the review thread in a positive way when people try it.
    i think it's okay as long as you give a discount to anyone mentioning boards.ie. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 trickme

Guy I have to say I went to cafe Massimo in Ratoath as I thought it was just a cafe but when I arrived I was amazed at the menus, they have an evening Italian menu. when I seen how cheap it was I was worried at first a sirlion steak for 13 euro on the evening menu thats an example how cheap it was. The food was amazing really gorgeous.... great chef. there was a great buzz there and the lads serving where great. I will be back over and over again.... the best restaurant in meath, 10 out 10.

David

• Advertisement

trickme wrote: »
    Guy I have to say I went to cafe Massimo in Ratoath as I thought it was just a cafe but when I arrived I was amazed at the menus, they have an evening Italian menu. when I seen how cheap it was I was worried at first a sirlion steak for 13 euro on the evening menu thats an example how cheap it was. The food was amazing really gorgeous.... great chef. there was a great buzz there and the lads serving where great. I will be back over and over again.... the best restaurant in meath, 10 out 10.

David

Hmmmmm.....

:pac:

Advertisement