Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Integrated transport infrastructure

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

DWCommuter wrote: »
    I beg to differ.

Spencer Dock (before it was turned over to greed) was the ideal site for a central location. It could have had all intercity routes and then Connolly could have been down graded to platforms 5, 6 and 7 and Heuston sold off instead. Add in the interconnector and the problem was solved. Remember that Spencer Dock had two double track alignments approaching it.

Your comparisons above are not like with like. The site for a central station existed and was in semi state ownership.

I genuinely think that the time taken on a train to get from Heuston to Spencer Dock and then back to the city centre would be longer than changing to a bus/luas at Heuston.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Whilst keeping buses out of towns would in theory help speed up journeys, I'm not sure having to get another bus out to connect will encourage people to use it if they have the alternative of simply driving out of town in their cars and straight to their destination without change. If a connecting shuttle bus is used it would have to be timed well to avoid getting delayed with town traffic and then delaying the main bus.

Simply streamlining the bus stops would help in many cases. I've been on a fair few busses that deviated off the motorway, drove for miles on the old road parallel to it, got into a town, did a slow circuitous route around some little streets to get to the stop and then crawled out of the little streets again to drive down the road to the towns actual junction. In these cases the stop needs to be moved to somewhere the bus can just go in and out again as fast as possible using the same local junction for access. Unfortunately, this isn't a problem exclusive to busses running on motorways either.

Advertisement