Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Charity shops-What am I missing?

Options
  • 23-08-2010 8:58pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

I love the idea of charity shops and I'm always seeing people in the latest purchase thread with great stuff from them. They're supposed to be these great places to get unusual stuff thats not really expensive. The thing is whenever I go into any of them, they're just kind of dirty and depressing and full of granny clothes. I never find anything that nice and when I go in I just want to get out as fast as possible. Whats the trick to finding good stuff and not getting that ew charity shop feeling (or maybe thats just me?):D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,519 ✭✭✭✭dudara

You can find great stuff in charity shops, but it can be hard work to find it. Plus, you have to know what you're looking at - you need an eye for stuff.

I regularly visit charity shops, but I'd say while I purchase books very regularly, I would purchase clothing or accessories once in a blue moon.

Having said that, I'd gotten a red suede YSL Rive Gauche skirt for €7 and a Newbridge Silver bangle for €10. The bargains are there - just don't expect an Aladdin's treasure trove everytime you walk in. Plus, at the moment, charity chops are in vogue, and lots of other people are in there too hunting for the bargains.

One tip - stick to charity shops in well-heeled areas, they tend to have better stock.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,604 ✭✭✭xOxSinéadxOx

You need to be going into them on a regular basis, I normally don't find anything I like either, just the odd time.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,633 ✭✭✭✭OldGoat

The above posts hit it on the head. You have to go regulary and even then good finds are rare.

Another tip is to pick up stuff that your friends would like and hopefully they do the same for you. If I see something that I think would suit a particular friend I'll buy it, give (or sell) it to them. If it's a nice piece then there is never any problem finding someone that it will please.

Dudara mentioned using the affluent area shops. This still works for the small independant charity shops but the larger chains (like Oxfam) distribute their collections throughout their chain and in the UK they even select vintage pieces for their own 'Oxfam Vintage' shops where they sell stuff at a higher mark up.

I'm older than Minecraft goats.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I find Oxfam very expensive (or maybe fairly priced). I go once a month, and always donate an M&S item to get my voucher (€7off when you spend €50).

I have got loads in my local Cancer Society shop. But I do go once a week. It's very well organised so I work systematically through all the rails.

If you're in Dublin there's a great stretch of charity shop from Camden st all the way down to Dame st.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,225 ✭✭✭fillefatale

Just echoing what everyone else said - you're not going to hit gold, its hard work - don't be put off by the depressing decor, power through it and you may find something. Its worth your while going in once a month when they've updated their stock.

Oxfam has a price guide chart, so items are priced accordingly and can be more expensive than other charity shops, but the whole shop is organised very smoothly and they tend to be easier to navigate than your regular charity shop.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Beonce

You really, really need to stick at it with charity shops, if you go regularly and spend a little time looking through their stock, you can be very lucky.

I bought a Ted Baker coat last year on Camden street for 25 euro...I love it and still wear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 902 ✭✭✭lainey316

What always puts me off is the smell - I can barely stay in a charity shop long enough to drop stuff off. Does it cling to the clothes or is it more in the shop itself? All the shops in Rathmines stink anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Are there specifically designated Oxfam Vintage, as opposed to standard Oxfam, shops in Dublin?

unepetite wrote: »
    Are there specifically designated Oxfam Vintage, as opposed to standard Oxfam, shops in Dublin?

Yes, theres a small section in the back of the Oxfam on Georges St., its still as expensive as a vintage shop though.
    lainey316 wrote: »
    What always puts me off is the smell - I can barely stay in a charity shop long enough to drop stuff off. Does it cling to the clothes or is it more in the shop itself? All the shops in Rathmines stink anyway.

I think its the clothes collectively because many have lain dormant in wardrobes for years and are only steamed when they're brought in (or washed or disposed of if dirty) which might release smells. I'd wash clothes before I'd wear them. I didn't think the rathmines shops were particularly smelly, I've been in worse.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭unepetite

Yes, theres a small section in the back of the Oxfam on Georges St., its still as expensive as a vintage shop though

Thanks! I might check it out!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,954 ✭✭✭✭Larianne

Yes, theres a small section in the back of the Oxfam on Georges St., its still as expensive as a vintage shop though.

OOoh didn't know this! :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,526 Mod ✭✭✭✭Darkglasses

I was just going to make a thread about charity shops actually! I've been living in Rathmines for the last two years, and I've loved the three charity shops there. I dropped in pretty much every day on my way back from college, only took a second to see if any nice stuff came in...And I collect football jerseys, got some great ones from the SVP there. Bought quite a lot of clothes and things from things there actually, whichever one is next to Dunnes nearly always has a good selection of men's jeans...

I was just wondering what other good ones there are around Dublin for men's clothes? Smells aren't a biggie to me, I worked in one myself for years...I hate the ones at the top of George's Street, practically nothing for men at all...Might try those ones nearer to Camden St. though! Anything on the North side worth a look?

Oh and Fillefatale you're right about where the smell comes from! Loads of the merchandise have been sitting in wardrobes for years, not necessarily clean either.

If you are donating stuff, PLEASE make sure it goes in clean. It'll only cause a smell and discourage other customers, and also washing, or more likely, disposing of merchandise costs the shops money that obviously could go to a better use!

The dearth of mens clothes in the shops is pretty much the same worldwide. I've hunted through a charity shop in Austraila in a mining town where the men outnumber the women 10:1 and there is STILL more womens cloths then mens. :(
    On the plus side it takes us an even shorter time to scan for new items. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,071 ✭✭✭gaeilgegrinds1

I have loads from charity shops, mostly all stuff I could never have otherwise afforded. Regularly go in or ring, let them know what it is you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,450 ✭✭✭Harrybelafonte

OldGoat wrote: »
    The dearth of mens clothes in the shops is pretty much the same worldwide. I've hunted through a charity shop in Austraila in a mining town where the men outnumber the women 10:1 and there is STILL more womens cloths then mens. :(
    On the plus side it takes us an even shorter time to scan for new items. :)

I just picked up a T.M. Lewin shirt, H&M shirt and left behind a good UC of B V-neck (not my style) in Oxfam, each item was 6.50. I would never have bought a Lewin normally, now I just need to find cuff links

Check the collar notches of the shirt too. Did you get plastic or steel collar stiffeners? Once found a pair of stirling silvers ones in a shirt that was way too small for me. Needless to say I bought it anyway. :)

I bought a leopard print trench-style coat (originally from Next) in oxfam yesterday for a tenner... my friend asked me if i was planning on working in Vegas... :rolleyes: I was inspired by Fran Drescher and Rosamund Pike in An Education

79661005.jpg

cin-1.jpg
    rosamund-pike-and-carey-mulligan-an-education.jpg

I'll wear it at night, for going out. It's awful but I love it. It's sort of rockabilly, depending on how you wear it.

I'm not intending to go down the Bet Lynch route...
    bet-lynch1.jpg

OldGoat wrote: »
    Check the collar notches of the shirt too. Did you get plastic or steel collar stiffeners? Once found a pair of stirling silvers ones in a shirt that was way too small for me. Needless to say I bought it anyway. :)

Unfortunately no stiffeners, but now I have to put an new ensemble together. Not sure it's teh kind of shirt that'll look well with jeans, maybe chinos.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Say it's a Swap shop, not a charity shop; do you pay the price that is on the tag or can you make an offer?? I've spotted a great jacket in a local Swap shop but I'm not sure how it works:o

• Registered Users Posts: 4,057 ✭✭✭Sapsorrow

I got an amazing green wool cape coat today, very Jackie O in CASA Cork. A vintage/antiques dealer I know found two amazing dresses from the seventies in the Irish cancer society this morning and I found a black velvet vintage Laura Ashley coat in SVP (although I didn't buy it) in Mallow. They can be great for vintage treasures but you've got to get to the ones out of the cities as the girls working in the city ones who sort the stuff are savy enough and will bag the best vintage stuff for themselves. Also the city ones are often very pricey, the ones in the country will charge a fraction of the price for the same stuff. I have been basing most of my wardrobe on the charity shops since I was a kid, they're not that bad anymore a lot of them are very clean and well run. Finding stuff is a bit of a knack but you'll become a great sifter after a few goes. Consisntecy is the key, I check my local ones every week and I rarely go home empyty handed.

• Advertisement

Say it's a Swap shop, not a charity shop; do you pay the price that is on the tag or can you make an offer?? I've spotted a great jacket in a local Swap shop but I'm not sure how it works:o

Normally in a swap shop you bring in some of your own stuff to swap and get a voucher to their value (as deemed by whoever's running the swap). If the coat you want is worth more than the value of your voucher you pay the difference. Depending on the shop they mioght just sell the stuff without a swap too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,252 ✭✭✭✭Madame Razz

Sapsorrow wrote: »
    Normally in a swap shop you bring in some of your own stuff to swap and get a voucher to their value (as deemed by whoever's running the swap). If the coat you want is worth more than the value of your voucher you pay the difference. Depending on the shop they mioght just sell the stuff without a swap too.

This one you can swop stuff or just buy it I think!!! I just don't know whether you just pay the price on the tag or if you can bargain a bit or not.

Do you mind me asking where in Mallow this infamous charity shop lurks; I pass thru there on occasion:)

This one you can swop stuff or just buy it I think!!! I just don't know whether you just pay the price on the tag or if you can bargain a bit or not.

Do you mind me asking where in Mallow this infamous charity shop lurks; I pass thru there on occasion:)

Oh well if it's not for charity why not! I always chance my arm haggling and it usually works :D

Mallow is actually really good for charity shops, I don't know the names of the streets but off hand; there is a DAWG shop (go straight downthe hill to the bottom of the main street and turn left signposted for fermoy, it's on the left hand side across from the petrol station), the SVP (take the immediate left turn after the DAWG shop, up the hill, past the car park, take a right at the pub and follow the rd past the pet shop and it's on the right hand side around the corner), there's an ok cancer society shop on the main st and a GORTA down an alley on the right hand side going down the main st.

• Registered Users Posts: 940 ✭✭✭Tabitharose

I bought an Oscar de la Renta dress in the Wa Wa shop in Dundrum about 3 weeks ago for €8 ;) perfect nick & a dry cleaning tag attached

Regret not getting the brown cord and lambswool inside jacket that was in the shop, maybe I should go back for it.

What was everyone's best find at a charity shop?

Regret not getting the brown cord and lambswool inside jacket that was in the shop, maybe I should go back for it.

What was everyone's best find at a charity shop?

Hm, nothing designer or anything but in terms of value and wearability, a black Zara blazer that I've worn consistently since and a maroon wool Jaeger sweater vest, dating from about the mid-70s for €6.50. Oh and a good quality men's black trilby (to fit my mannish head) in Berlin for €12, haven't worn it in a year or so because they were on the high street for a while and it felt a bit hipsterish to be wearing one, but might get around to it this winter.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37 angusdeaton

I bought an Oscar de la Renta dress in the Wa Wa shop in Dundrum about 3 weeks ago for €8 ;) perfect nick & a dry cleaning tag attached

Is that shop in the centre?? I think I need to get there soon! Can you post a pic of the dress? Would love to see it!

WFWF x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,934 ✭✭✭Dotcomdolly

I've picked up a vintage (60's) wool tweed coat, love it.

Also got a Louise May Oswald silk dress, Emporio Xchange velvet jacket, fab Hobbs lbd....I got at least once a week.

Posted my latest charity buy on the last purchase thread a while ago.

Oh my boyfriend got a great score in Concern yesterday he got an immaculate copy of the 8th collectors edition of the national geographic 100 greatest vintage photographs book. It was only 2 euros! I was very pleased with him :D

126364.gif

• Advertisement

Anyone else thinking a charity shop treasures thread would make a really good sticky? I know I could probably keep one going all by myself :D

Advertisement