Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Slimways weight management

Options
  • 23-08-2010 6:08pm
    Registered Users Posts: 44

Hi I'm starting the slimways weight management programme in Cork, Has anyone else tried it and what do they think, of it, the plan has me eating alot more and then I normally would.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 39,159 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

I have no idea what it is exactly, but I'll hazarsd a guess thats is mostly nonsense.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,819 ✭✭✭✭g'em

Mellor wrote: »
    I have no idea what it is exactly, but I'll hazarsd a guess thats is mostly nonsense.

Is it a great idea to dismiss something that you admit you know nothing about?? :confused:

A quick Google suggests that the Slimways programme is similar to the Weight motivation Clinic and others of that ilk - it's a 'tailor-made' dieting service. It's not nonsense, but you're paying up to €1500 per year for the advice you get on these forums for free!! :eek:

I guess the big draw is having that 'motivational' element - some people feel like they can't do it on their own and need an extra kick up the bum and know that someone is watching their progress and assessing it.

OP if you're eating the right foods you can actually afford to eat a lot of them - what kind of foods are you eating now and out of interest what kind of foods used you eat?

g'em wrote: »
    Is it a great idea to dismiss something that you admit you know nothing about?? :confused:

A quick Google suggests that the Slimways programme is similar to the Weight motivation Clinic and others of that ilk - it's a 'tailor-made' dieting service. It's not nonsense,
    but you're paying up to €1500 per year
    for the advice you get on these forums for free!! :eek:

I guess the big draw is having that 'motivational' element - some people feel like they can't do it on their own and need an extra kick up the bum and know that someone is watching their progress and assessing it.
    Sigh, where did i say i know nothing about it. I said that I didn't know what it was exactly. In that I have not tried it out, or had somebody i trust review it.

I'm able to google too, and i was also able to read and add up the cost correctly. It's not €1500 a year. You have to pay for a single month first. this single month is €600, for 12 visits, 3 a week.

So 1 year (well 13 months) is €2100. 7 months would be €1600.

Like i said, i don't know exactly what a visit is made up of. Except that each visit they take your weight,BMI and body fat etc.
    In my opinion, i think there is no need to do this 3 times a week. Would you disagree G'em? A good qualify scales at home can replicate this, and countless iphone apps can track this data for free. We all know how much weight can vary over short time frames (only today my weight dropped 1kg in an hour, dispite drinking a bottle of water between weigh-in)
    3 times a week is complete over kill for body fat (also it doesn't mention if its calipers or digital for the BF%).

As for the advice, like you said, its available for free in many places.
    Motivation might be helpful, but tbh paying that much for those sevices is a pretty big motivator in itself.

So, i stand by my comments above, I still think that it appears to be a bit wasteful. If they divided the price by three and had the visits weekly, it would be a lot better to start with.
    €2100 would be better spent on a good PT (who can provide all the services above plus more)

As opposed to providing some constructive feedback to the OP you dismissed it as nonsense. I'm not disagreeing with your assertions above, in fact I already agreed with them in my own post in that it's a lot of money for something that can be got for free - but I understand why some people like the motivational element to it.

I wasn't having a go, no need to sigh, I just think it's tough on the OP for someone to dismiss it entirely without giving reasons, which you've now done. Super.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 gagonmine

I'm eating alot of meat fish salad and green veg at the moment but the diet is changed as you lose weight, I have my breakfast and eat 4 times every 2.5 hours, before this I would only have porridge for my breakfast a samba and dinner which was either in a restaurant or take away, my body was craving carbs last night

• Advertisement

gagonmine wrote: »
    I'm eating alot of meat fish salad and green veg at the moment but the diet is changed as you lose weight, I have my breakfast and eat 4 times every 2.5 hours, before this I would only have porridge for my breakfast a samba and dinner which was either in a restaurant or take away, my body was craving carbs last night

so effectively they have you on a low-carb diet - that's a great start :) You can generally afford to eat a lot more when you're eating fewer carbs because carbs tend to be so calorie dense.

I know there are a lot of low-carbers around on the forum, they might be able to help you fend off the cravings, although from what I understand it they tend to diminish significantly as you remain on the diet. Best of luck :)

thanks a million g'em well i've tried every other diet starving myself and fell off the wagon so much so all i can do is give it a go

and OP, don't worry, the carb cravings go pretty soon. Once you stop buying them you tend not to want them.

on day 4 of this diet, going well I fell was killed last night with pains in my head and I'm craving carbs something wicked and dreaming about bread

• Users Awaiting Email Confirmation Posts: 5,620 ✭✭✭El_Dangeroso

on day 4 of this diet, going well I fell was killed last night with pains in my head and I'm craving carbs something wicked and dreaming about bread

Ah you're going through the transition. It's pretty horrible but it only lasts a day or two. The bread dreams are weird, I got them too. I'd dream about eating three day old mouldy bread and then wake up in a panic! But they pass.

The gluten in bread acts on the opiate receptors in your brain, which is why nearly all 'comfort food' involves wheat in some way, it really does sedate you. It makes sense to have a pretty visceral withdrawal reaction from it. But once you get over that, you'll find that bread never really agrees with you that well again. It's like your stomach actively rejects it as nonfood.

• Advertisement

oh Temple thankfully another person who understands me, my friends and family where laughing at me when I said it, I had my weigh in today and I'm down just over 1 stone, but I dont notice it, a little less bloated looking I suppose but the scales don't lie, but because i'm drink 4 litres of water and really flushing out my system, my skin is glowing, everyone is commenting on my skin more than my tummy LOL. Is sparkling water a no no does anyone know?

oh Temple thankfully another person who understands me, my friends and family where laughing at me when I said it, I had my weigh in today and I'm down just over 1 stone, but I dont notice it, a little less bloated looking I suppose but the scales don't lie, but because i'm drink 4 litres of water and really flushing out my system, my skin is glowing, everyone is commenting on my skin more than my tummy LOL. Is sparkling water a no no does anyone know?

You're down a stone in 5 days? Is that right? If so that's got to be some kind of world record!

Sparkling water is ok for regular low carb, don't know bout your plan. I squeeze a little lemon and a little lime in there, kind of like a poor man's 7up! It's really refreshing though, something about vitamin C always perks me up of a tired afternoon.

Well you see I was weighed last week but didn't start the deit until Monday, but last week was still curries and pizza and I was eating bread with every meal no matter what I ate I had bread with it. I weighed myself on Saturday I was 20St and today I'm just under 19st. but I was told not to expext that kind of result in the next two weeks. but i'm going to stick at it, in 2 weeks I will be allowed 1 treat day when I can have carbs.

Well you see I was weighed last week but didn't start the deit until Monday, but last week was still curries and pizza and I was eating bread with every meal no matter what I ate I had bread with it. I weighed myself on Saturday I was 20St and today I'm just under 19st. but I was told not to expext that kind of result in the next two weeks. but i'm going to stick at it, in 2 weeks I will be allowed 1 treat day when I can have carbs.

Well done, hey, even if it's all water weight, it's still 14lb you don't have to slog around with you! :)

One tip for the treat day from my own personal experience, keep the carbs you do eat gluten free if you can at all. I know it's not always possible (I am aware pizza exists ;)). Anytime I have bread I am murdered with Golum-like cravings for 4 or 5 days afterwards, takes no small amount of willpower to resist them. Don't seem to have the same problem with rice, potatoes or oats.

Schedule a nice workout on that day too if you can at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭LuckyG

I am very interested in this way of training/eating. Can you give us some meal plan examples and recipes?

How have you faired over the months since you last posted?

Hi Guys for those interested I got on really well with the slimways, everyone commented on the physical change and my energy levels where boosted, so the progamme does work. However I have been misbehaving but I now know what and when i'm doing things that aren't right, and how to fix it. :D

Hi Guys for those interested I got on really well with the slimways, everyone commented on the physical change and my energy levels where boosted, so the progamme does work. However I have been misbehaving but I now know what and when i'm doing things that aren't right, and how to fix it. :D

ya it does sound like it will work. did you shell out only for the first month or did you keep it up with them for the year?

your doing things wrong now but at least you know they are wrong!! lol

Any chance you could post/pm some recipe ideas from the diet? I dont have a bob to rub together so am trying to come up with a high protein low carb diet

Breakfast: 1 whole egg + 3 egg whites (cooked whatever way you want) + 1 tomatoe
    2.5hrs later - 200gm lean meat/fish + Salad
    2.5 hrs later 200gm Lean meat/fish + green veg (no peas)
    2.5 hrs later 200gm Fish + Salad
    2.5 hrs later 150gm + green veg
    2 litres of water a day
    2x15 min walks.
    black tea 3 cups or 2 coffee.
    Green tea .
    after 4 weeks i would have a small portion of carbs(small potatoe)
    Hope this helps, keep me updated if I can help in any way

Top man, thanks a million

Advertisement