Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sleep Deprivation and death

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

Well, it owrks and also helps keep the room at a constant temperature as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

hi guys n gals,i was just wondering do night shifts get easier the longer you do them or are they just a constant pain in the ass?
    I only started working nights about 2 years ago and i cant seem to get the hang of em...

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 47,794 Mod ✭✭✭✭cyberwolf77

hi guys n gals,i was just wondering do night shifts get easier the longer you do them or are they just a constant pain in the ass?
    I only started working nights about 2 years ago and i cant seem to get the hang of em...
    Well, they've gotten a bit easier for me. My mother however worked them for thirteen years and hated it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,751 ✭✭✭Saila

stayed up all day/night, then got a longhaul flight, then 10hrs+ in a transition lounge, then another long haul flight, then up all day when I arrived there [morning]:rolleyes:
    I was hallucinating that night, it was really horrible experience - 70hrs all in :mad:

I think the limit is around 7 days

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Izzy711

I have worked nights going on 6 years now. I couldn't imagine working another shift. I really do believe it depends on the person. Yes, I am tired most of the time, but I have found that when I work out I feel much better. I just really hate losing the sleep to work out. Catch 22 I guess.

Good luck! What do you do?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 25,868 Mod ✭✭✭✭Doctor DooM

My job used to have alot of shifts. But it wasn't regular and that made very difficult.

For the last while I have been doing day shift and it's settled me down a bit. I hope I can be more disciplined about my sleeping patterns even if I do have to go back.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Izzy711 wrote: »
    I have worked nights going on 6 years now. I couldn't imagine working another shift. I really do believe it depends on the person. Yes, I am tired most of the time, but I have found that when I work out I feel much better. I just really hate losing the sleep to work out. Catch 22 I guess.

Good luck! What do you do?
    Im a Process Plant Op.Often thought about working out before a night shift but cant haul myself to do it......does it really help?

Im a Process Plant Op.Often thought about working out before a night shift but cant haul myself to do it......does it really help?
    My secret is a massive dose of B vitamins right before the shift. Helps you stay awake and you sleep like the dead afterwards

• Registered Users Posts: 60 ✭✭GSV

I worked night shifts for a good while some years ago.
    The problem is you can get used to it and then it's hard to swing back around to day shifts.

One time I worked a night shift 10pm - 8am.
    Stayed up all day and then worked another night shift.
    I didn't get to bed that day till 4pm so I would have had only 4 or 5 hours sleep before my next (3rd) shift.

I woke up at 6 O'clock and I felt really well rested which I thought was kind of odd.
    Then I realised that it was getting brighter out when it should have been getting darker! :confused:

I'd slept for for 14 hours and it was 6 O'clock in the morning. :D

GSV wrote: »
    I worked night shifts for a good while some years ago.
    The problem is you can get used to it and then it's hard to swing back around to day shifts.

One time I worked a night shift 10pm - 8am.
    Stayed up all day and then worked another night shift.
    I didn't get to bed that day till 4pm so I would have had only 4 or 5 hours sleep before my next (3rd) shift.

I woke up at 6 O'clock and I felt really well rested which I thought was kind of odd.
    Then I realised that it was getting brighter out when it should have been getting darker! :confused:

I'd slept for for 14 hours and it was 6 O'clock in the morning. :D
    That is why I use military time on every clock I own.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 43,045 ✭✭✭✭Nevyn

Someone stole my sleep, when I find out who it was I will suffocate them.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,308 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

I'm awake around 20hrs or so myself now, heading out soon for a few hours then hopefully some sleep

Advertisement