Advertisement
We've partnered up with Nixers.com to offer a space where you can talk directly to Peter from Nixers.com and get an exclusive Boards.ie discount code for a free job listing. If you are recruiting or know anyone else who is please check out the forum here.
If you have a new account but can't post, please email Niamh on [email protected] for help to verify your email address. Thanks :)

Have you seen many Small Tortoiseshell Butterflies?

2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 Durnish

This was my best shot from today,

P1110589.jpg

Wow, I now have an invasion of Small Tortoiseshells on my Budleaia. Never seen the like of it.

What is a large amount of butterflies called, a swarm? They don't act as a flock or a herd, no common good, just an amount of individuals stocking up for winter hibernation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ Lorelai Sharp Wage

Durnish wrote: »
    What is a large amount of butterflies called, a swarm?

A flight, flutter, rabble or swarm.

the swarm has now been joined by a solitary Peacock, first one I have seen for a while.

Actually, maybe they do act as a swarm, with common purpose. I read that the larval colonies move as one from one lot of nettles to another.

I wonder if my Torties are all from same hatching. Do all the eggs from one mating have the same DNA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭✭ IceMaiden

At the peak we had about 50+ & a few other varieties, mostly on our Buddleia and that’s not noticeable different to last year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 littlebug

They're still around. I saw multiple 10s of them today in one garden on a few heathers.

I saw the first one of the new year yesterday, on my sunny back porch. I wonder if it is one of those strong new ones I saw back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,766 ✭✭✭✭ Alun

Saw one in my back garden on the south facing back wall yesterday sunning itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭✭ Gardener3

Saw one yesterday, sunning itself in Ballyvourney, Co. Cork

• Advertisement
Advertisement