Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Have you seen many Small Tortoiseshell Butterflies?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 692 ✭✭✭Durnish

This was my best shot from today,

P1110589.jpg

Wow, I now have an invasion of Small Tortoiseshells on my Budleaia. Never seen the like of it.

What is a large amount of butterflies called, a swarm? They don't act as a flock or a herd, no common good, just an amount of individuals stocking up for winter hibernation?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Durnish wrote: »
    What is a large amount of butterflies called, a swarm?

A flight, flutter, rabble or swarm.

the swarm has now been joined by a solitary Peacock, first one I have seen for a while.

Actually, maybe they do act as a swarm, with common purpose. I read that the larval colonies move as one from one lot of nettles to another.

I wonder if my Torties are all from same hatching. Do all the eggs from one mating have the same DNA?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 78 ✭✭IceMaiden

At the peak we had about 50+ & a few other varieties, mostly on our Buddleia and that’s not noticeable different to last year .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,832 ✭✭✭littlebug

They're still around. I saw multiple 10s of them today in one garden on a few heathers.

I saw the first one of the new year yesterday, on my sunny back porch. I wonder if it is one of those strong new ones I saw back in September.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,427 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Saw one in my back garden on the south facing back wall yesterday sunning itself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 70 ✭✭Gardener3

Saw one yesterday, sunning itself in Ballyvourney, Co. Cork

• Advertisement
Advertisement