Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dirty Epics doc

Options
  • 21-08-2010 12:35pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭

For me this is more embarrassing than the whole crystal swing fiasco...
    what planet do these guys live on??Ive never heard so many cringe worthy quotes in the space of two minutes in my life!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pbVutbrTy0c

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,417 ✭✭✭Miguel_Sanchez

I've split this from the 'best unsigned/new bands' thread as it doesn't fit there.

Also if this turns into a 'slate the Dirty Epics thread' with no discussion then I will lock it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,563 ✭✭✭stateofflux

a lot of people think they are a cool rock band with great classic songs and a sassy intelligent female singer with something to say..... i don't

• Registered Users Posts: 7,024 ✭✭✭homerun_homer

Also if this turns into a 'slate the Dirty Epics thread' with no discussion then I will lock it.

I'll keep my mouth shut so...

• Site Banned Posts: 4,415 ✭✭✭MilanPan!c

Don't know much about them... is their singer Chinese? Or of Chinese descent?

EDIT:

This is pretty amazing:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p1ShXrAct6w&feature=related

I don't really know about the song, but the band is tight as hell... most bands I've seen in Dubs would die to be this tight.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 256 ✭✭coniosumadre

Aye...
    That song sounds good (although a blatant U2 rip off)because it was recorded in Grouse Lodge studios over 3 days with the aid of professionals last year as part of the RTE 2 show the RAW sessions...thats very different from their other songs!!!!

Ive decided the funniest part of that video clip is when party boy is telling the truth at the start about what he thinks about the band before adding "nah im only kidding!"Cue nervous laughter in the background from sara jay way or whatever the hell shes called...Also point of note the documentary features their old guitarist who "Dissapeared "from the band last christmas....They never even mentioned anything about why he left!!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

The lead singer is a charisma free zone! She is just a mouth. The band are tight. I'd never admit to being a fan. I find the singers schtick unbearable, her socialite sister/manager does plenty of harm to the bands credibility too.

I predict the 'fashion rocks' circuit and Guggi's birthday as part of their tour diary in the near future. Ugh.

Also point of note the documentary features their old guitarist who "Dissapeared "from the band last christmas....They never even mentioned anything about why he left!!!

Have you watched the documentary?

Wow! How do you guys know so much about this band?!

I've only heard of them a few times!

• Registered Users Posts: 538 ✭✭✭Shakey_jake

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    Wow! How do you guys know so much about this band?!

I've only heard of them a few times!

Yeah me too, but from what i can gather and what ive heard they seem to be straight up meat and potatoes indie rock with a female on vocals. I mean the stuff there playing would have really worked well a few years ago but there is sooooo much of it about nowadays that its a saturated sound.

I don't hear anything different going on here tbh

As for the documentary?? well i love anything like this, i always find them fun to watch and sure if it gains them few more fans then all good!

Id probably get rid of yer man from jackass though!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,746 ✭✭✭✭FewFew

Bad sign for the band and the documentary when the majority of the trailer is trying to convince you that the band is any use. Also, having your manager saying you're great... "but my Mom says I'm cool".

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,351 ✭✭✭Orando Broom

Yeah me too, but from what i can gather and what ive heard they seem to be straight up meat and potatoes indie rock with a female on vocals. I mean the stuff there playing would have really worked well a few years ago but there is sooooo much of it about nowadays that its a saturated sound.

I don't hear anything different going on here tbh

As for the documentary?? well i love anything like this, i always find them fun to watch and sure if it gains them few more fans then all good!

Id probably get rid of yer man from jackass though!

Jackass and all who belong to it are about as relevent as the words 'rad', 'bodacious' and 'tubular'.

Is he just on it because he was famous for 16 minutes aND doing a strong line with some bird from blackrock who may or may not know the band? It plumbs the depths, it really does. They were as well to have asked Mary Hanafin or Socky for a talking head piece.

Do they play out in town??

This is a weird thread. ;)

Have you watched the documentary?

Hell no!!!I stumbled upon that 2 minute promotion thing for the documentary which i posted above and i made myself watch it...once....

The old guitarist is in the clips in this,thats how i know.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,358 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Hell no!!!I stumbled upon that 2 minute promotion thing for the documentary which i posted above and i made myself watch it...once....

The old guitarist is in the clips in this,thats how i know.

The point being made is maybe if you watch the entire documentary you might find out about the guitarist as in contrast to the two minutes you watched the documentary is longer and will contain more information than the trailer for it. Fairly standard procedure.

And why would i want to watch the entire documentary?!"!

O wait,,.,,now i get it.Maybe thats the entire point of the documentary,to announce to their U2 size fanbase why their old guitarist left the band!

.Also point of note the documentary features their old guitarist who "Dissapeared "from the band last christmas....They never even mentioned anything about why he left!!!

Point of note: The old guitarist features in the trailer. You have no idea if they mention anything about him leaving or if the new guitarist is also featured in the doc.
    And why would i want to watch the entire documentary?!"!

O wait,,.,,now i get it.Maybe thats the entire point of the documentary,to announce to their U2 size fanbase why their old guitarist left the band!

We get it. You don't like the band. Although for someone who hates them so much you know a surprising amount about them.

Personally I don't care for Dirty Epics' music but there's a lot of Irish bands out there that could do with paying attention to their work ethic.

Yeah, I don't know **** about this band except that they seem to be busting their hump...

So, who knows, maybe they'll get some new, more accessible material (based on reactions here) and they'll able to capitalise on their work ethic and connections.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

god this looks so cheesy haha

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭Air_Bass

Dirty Epics, whilst they may not change your life they are definitely one of the better bands to come out of Dublin in recent years (if you disagree please tell me who you think is better).
    They rock, they've got catchy tunes and a singer with attitude.
    My last band practiced in the same rehearsal space as them so we met them a few times and thought they were really sound down-to-earth people.
    What is it with users of this forum regularly knocking irish musicians who have achieved some level of notoriety/success? Jealousy, Frustration ??
    The way I see it : Until you are a member of a band that writes better songs, is tighter and more successful - you are in no position to knock anyone's achievments.
    I'm a fan of band documentaries and look forward to seeing this one.
    Of course there are folks connected with most bands who will talk utter bull**it on (and off) camera at any opportunity, it's all part of the music business (man!) and it's actually funny when you step back and see it for what it is :-).

Air_Bass wrote: »
    The way I see it : Until you are a member of a band that writes better songs, is tighter and more successful - you are in no position to knock anyone's achievments.

So people can't critcise anyone's music if they're not in a band themselves? That's nonsense.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

So people can't critcise anyone's music if they're not in a band themselves? That's nonsense.

i with you on that

and there are probly better bands out there that have written beter songs than them !!i have seen better bands

People can criticise (as opposed to critcise) all they want ...informed criticism makes much better reading though.
    The suggestion I was making was that if all the haters actually went out and did something productive with their time instead, they might have some appreciation of how much work, sacrifice and dedication (and luck) is involved in making a name for yourself as a musician in this country.
    But knocking bands on web forums can be really rewarding too

People can criticise (as opposed to critcise) all they want ...informed criticism makes much better reading though.
    The suggestion I was making was that if all the haters actually went out and did something productive with their time instead, they might have some appreciation of how much work, sacrifice and dedication (and luck) is involved in making a name for yourself as a musician in this country.

Funny, that's not what you said.

Also - you'll notice that I myself, and others, pointed out that the Dirty Epics seem to be a really hardworking band, so fair play to them for that.

This is a music forum, there's going to be bands praised and rubbished - that's just the way it is. However suggesting that people can't criticise a band if they're not in one themselves is nonsense.

Finally, if you want to point out typos in people's posts in some vain attempt to appear clever you can do that in the grammar nazi forum - we don't like it here.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

MilanPan!c wrote: »
    So, who knows, maybe they'll get some new, more accessible material (based on reactions here) and they'll able to capitalise on their work ethic and connections.

I think their "connections" is exactly why they get such a resentful reception. They receive a massively disproportionate amount of coverage, on Irish music TV (such as it is) and in Hot Press in particular.

I saw somebody use the term "mediacore" to describe them a while back, and I think that about sums it up for me. It's not an organic thing - the interest in them seems to me to be wholly media-generated. Hot Press and chums love them purely because all the work is done for them - I can't remember the last article about them that didn't read exactly like a press release. Half the time you can predict exactly which stock press kit phrases you can expect to read: lots of "charismatic"s, "taking the Irish music scene by storm"s and "unique style"s.

Indeed, almost all of that coverage focuses on the "charismatic" lead singer, who's supposed to be "taking the Irish music scene by storm" with her "unique style", which is every bit as unique now as it was when Karen O first tried it out.

Their actual songs are fine, but almost inconsequential to the exercise - everything about them feels just a little bit too calculated, and it rankles.

I don't mean to bash on a band who I'm sure are nice folks, and I take note of the moderator warning, but that's how it seems to me, and that's why I'm as absolutely incredulous as the OP about this. Is there really a demand for a documentary about them? Probably not. But there is a documentary about them. Hmm.

What utter horse sh-it. All the haters can come on here and hate all the want. They have every right to criticise or critcise as much as they want. Just as much as the fanboy can come in and sing their praises and make documentaries for them. By your suggestion (also in your first post it wasn't a suggestion, to suggest means to mention or imply as a possibility, you did neither) should people not comment on any sport unless they play it? Crazy and utterly unrealistic.

Bands are in the public eye and ear and if you put yourself out there then you take the knocks with the praise.

I agree with Jill to some degree and i feel bad saying this but there is alot of hype generated in the media for these guys and i don't think it's doing them justice. For the record i've met Sarah Jane albeit a few years ago and she seemed deadly, nice girl good fun and far from the contrived persona that is being put about right now.

One thing you have to admire is the work ethic, they want to make it in this game and are doing their best and for that i wish them luck.

I think Jill sums it up fairly perfectly...The main point here without tryin to bash them too much is what exactly have they done or achieved to warrent a documentary???Who is it aimed at??their families and relatives??They play about 10 half empty gigs a year around dublin,Pay their own way to go to SXSW the last two years....and well thats about it really.....i dont really understand this "they have a really hard work ethic thingy",as i dont know of many examples of it....And whoever made the point about them being "the Tightest"Band in dublin is just plain silly...any band that isint tight after 4 or 5 years together...have got some serious problems...more than inflated egos that think they warrent a cliche documentary,about getting up in the morning and drinking margaritas.....or wanting to put themselves up against the best bands in other countries, hence implying their the best that this country has to offer..

Coniosumadre - you seem to know an awful lot about them. Are you sure this isn't a personal grudge?

To be honest the 'documentary' really just looks like an EPK to me. The type record companies send out to promote a new album.

Does anyone know where they are planning to show it?

lordgoat wrote: »
    By your suggestion (also in your first post it wasn't a suggestion, to suggest means to mention or imply as a possibility, you did neither) should people not comment on any sport unless they play it? Crazy and utterly unrealistic.

Hee hee, thanks for the grammar lesson lordgoat but just so you're aware, the other moderator doesn't like people pointing out grammatical errors.

I think you'll find that my statement was preceded with "The way I see it" which would imply that I'm offering opinion, suggestion, insinuation, proposition (oh where are the grammar nazis when you need them).
    The sport analogy is absolutely spot-on your lordship, would you seriously give merit to someone who publicly slates a particular football team when you're fairly certain they've most likely never kicked a ball in their life ?
    That’s just my assessment / hypothesis / slant / viewpoint/ supposition/ estimation ......

Hee hee, thanks for the grammar lesson lordgoat but just so you're aware, the other moderator doesn't like people pointing out grammatical errors.

I think you'll find that my statement was preceded with "The way I see it" which would imply that I'm offering opinion, suggestion, insinuation, proposition (oh where are the grammar nazis when you need them).
    The sport analogy is absolutely spot-on your lordship, would you seriously give merit to someone who publicly slates a particular football team when you're fairly certain they've most likely never kicked a ball in their life ?
    That’s just my assessment / hypothesis / slant / viewpoint/ supposition/ estimation ......

First of all, there was/is nothing wrong with your grammar. It's your understadning of the language and syntax where you have a problem.

Your first post starts:

The way I see it: blah blah blah

This is a statement. Simple, you're not offering an opinion, stating one, in what came across as a very condescending tone (much like the one you've found directed at you since). Very big difference. One makes you sound reasonable the other makes you sound like a bit of a dick.

Back on topic now. If you want any more English lessons PM me or i'm sure there's an english/literature forum where you can seek the clarification that you do need.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,090 ✭✭✭jill_valentine

I haven't played much football, but I can still clearly observe a difference in quality between, say, my local charity pub team and Arsenal. Similarly, I am not in a band, but can still make comment on one musical act or another.

I'm not going to buy CDs from every single band on earth, for instance, because some of those bands blow. And the "Ah shur they're trying their best! They're no good, but they're Irish!" attitude hasn't exactly served our homegrown music scene very well - it's only exacerbated our lazy media problem, and served to elevate mediocrity to flagship status. That's how you end up with bands like The Blizzards on the Main Stage at Oxegen, and bands like The National off in a tent somewhere.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement