Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Weaning Thread

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 985 ✭✭✭Ellsbells

Thanks Hannibal. They think he has a dairy intolerence and thats what's causing the silent reflux... He is on hypoallergenic milk so they cant test to be sure...

A lot of foods contain dairy or dairy products so its really quite limited and Readybrek is out. Am not pooh poohing your suggestions HS and sorry for not giving the full picture earlier...

Am giving him a Cow & Gate readybrek with nutramigen in the mornings. Then some roast chicken and boiled stud with some of the organic veg purees. Then mango or pear after lunch. Its so hard to knwo what and how much to give him. i think I gave him too much spud yesterday and he was up 3 times last night :( 7 months on its very wearing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,893 ✭✭✭Hannibal Smith

Was it normal potato by any chance? I know when my little fella has normal potato he's up a few times in the night with wind, so I only give him sweet potato. It's such a minefield as to what's going to keep them up at night, it's like a windy russian roulette sometimes.

I fly through the veggie section at the supermarket and pick up every kind of vegetable I can and mix and match them to make as many different meals as I can.

Have you tried butternut squash? It blends down to a really smooth texture, then mix it with his milk and it's even runnier?

Yeah it was real potato... Will cut back on it today. I use either the frozen veg or some of the organic veg purees sometimes with sweet potato to flavour it... Its pure trial and error...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

Not at all Ellsbells. Could you give him goats yoghurt? My brother in law is allergic to dairy and I know he can have goats yoghurt. Glenisk do pots which are lovely. Pear is a great fruit as its very gentle on the tummy.

Thanks I must check out the goats yoghurt..

he is having a nap there and crying in his sleep every now and then - dunno anymore...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

She loves banana - only thing she's eaten a significant amy of yet - but today after it age got a rash... But could be the heat? It happened the last time she had banana too ( last week) but we blamed it on the amber beads we were using...
    Anyine else find a sensitivity to it?

Didn't think it would be one with issues - like strawberries etc which often cause probs. but then her skin is like mine I fear... Eczema and dermatitis... I really hope it's not :( my skin was hugely food sensitive... I'm hoping it was a bit of heat rash!!

She loves banana - only thing she's eaten a significant amy of yet - but today after it age got a rash... But could be the heat? It happened the last time she had banana too ( last week) but we blamed it on the amber beads we were using...
    Anyine else find a sensitivity to it?

Didn't think it would be one with issues - like strawberries etc which often cause probs. but then her skin is like mine I fear... Eczema and dermatitis... I really hope it's not :( my skin was hugely food sensitive... I'm hoping it was a bit of heat rash!!

Ugggh she had me up at 2,3,4,5 ( at which point she was in my bed) and tossed until now. She wasn't hungry. Not sure - she may have been itchy. Could have been banana.....
    If not then I'm going to go slowly insane... Well rapidly insane!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭Xdancer

I've never heard of a reaction to banana, but there's always a first time! Poor thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭galah

well, I've got a banana allergy, if that helps ya? :D only developed it in the past 4 years or so - and I'm wondering if I can give the baby banana, just to try - since hubby isnt allergic, and because I could tolerate it as a kid...

anyone else find all those weaning books confusing? They all seem to contradict each other :( (specially on the subject of dairy, eggs and things like that...)

• Advertisement

galah wrote: »
    anyone else find all those weaning books confusing? They all seem to contradict each other :( (specially on the subject of dairy, eggs and thinks like that...)

I didn't bother with weaning books. I just asked my mother...she weaned 7 of us so her advice is all I need. :)

lucky you - my mom kept a diary of my baby years - and she fed us carrot juice at 4 weeks old (her reason: to get a bit of colour!). I apparently got potatoes and veg at 3 months, and all that kind of stuff, WAY early (seem to have been the pratice at the time). So as much as I love her, she may not be the authority I was looking for :D

lucky you - my mom kept a diary of my baby years - and she fed us carrot juice at 4 weeks old (her reason: to get a bit of colour!). I apparently got potatoes and veg at 3 months, and all that kind of stuff, WAY early (seem to have been the pratice at the time). So as much as I love her, she may not be the authority I was looking for :D

Fair enough! :) I know a girl who was adding crushed Rusk to her baby's bottle at 7 weeks thinking it would make him sleep through the night. I was very surprised that her mother suggested it! I must have a very sensible mother :D

I think I mIte have cracked it.... I think some of her clothes may have been washed in a diff detergent at my mums which is why it's only happening occasionally!! I put sonething on her today I def know hasn't been washed since staying there and her rash worse! I'm also clinging onto hope it's not a banana allergy!!! She loves them..!!
    Galah - do u have a latex allergy also? Apparently (online sources only!!) they are inter related! I.e rubber gloves etc?
    I just have allergy to housework ;)
    Actually as kid I had severe allergy to dairy - couldn't eat eggs until I was 12 without severe reaction. Grew out of it then thank god as was very restrictive and soya milk tasted a lot worse back then!!!
    As a result I'll be really careful introducing dairy and prob put off eggs until 1 yr... When I'm with her... And near a hospital...!!! Fear!!!!!
    But it only affected 2 out of about 60 of my cousins - so hopefully ur little one will be ok with bananas!!

Gave A baby rice with apple and carrot today - seemed to like it - although she pulled hilarious faces at first as if it was the most ridiculous thing she ever could taste but still opened her mouth looking for more!!!

DL - well done on the detective work! If it's *just* the detergent, you're lucky!

don't have a latex allergy - just banana and kiwi fruit fro some reason. Never had an allergy in my life up until recently. Very odd. Being able to give bananas would be sooo handy - they're just so versatile and easy!

But interesting point - I *may* just avoid rubber gloves anyway, just in case...:p I'm sure it's also linked to the plastic in hoover handles and mop buckets, right? :D

DL - well done on the detective work! If it's *just* the detergent, you're lucky!

don't have a latex allergy - just banana and kiwi fruit fro some reason. Never had an allergy in my life up until recently. Very odd. Being able to give bananas would be sooo handy - they're just so versatile and easy!

But interesting point - I *may* just avoid rubber gloves anyway, just in case...:p I'm sure it's also linked to the plastic in hoover handles and mop buckets, right? :D

Absolutely - and dusters etc...!!

Weird that ya say it but when was reading about the latex it also said about kiwi!!!!
    Only reason I mention it is if u ever have a reaction to an injection it could be the latex in the syringe rather then the medication. For example - I think they make a latex free flu vaccine!
    Any u clearly don't have one and I'm off on a tangent!!!!!! Sorry!!
    I do hope it's just the detergent - much easier to manage!!

Oh and watch out for gardening tools and toilet cleaners too ;)

Mmm my baby is insulting me...
    I normally give home made puréed to her - she takes them ok, today I was out and about and gave her an Ella's kitchen rice, pear and apple.. Never seen her eat so much!!!!! I've given her apple and pear before but usually mix them with a veg like carrots or parsnips or sweet potatoe!
    She either loved the fruitiness or just telling me my purée sucks.... Seriously tho... How can ya go wrong with purée!!!! Haha!!!

Wonder how much I save by doing it myself.. Anyone worked this out? She only eats about 3 ice cube sized bits a day if even - she ate half a pack of the sachet!

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Amelie84

hi guys ! I had Lorcan in February and recognize a few of you here :)
    Lorcan is 6 month and 2 weeks now so I have started on solids too.
    He gags still as soon as there is a tiny lump in it. He has had, carrot, parsnip, turnip, pear, apple and banana.
    He seem to "hate" the banana. he looks soo disgusted! and spits everything out again.
    When I gave him the carrot and parsnip mix he seemed to starting to actually swallow some food and had 1 ice cube tray. but after the bananna twice in the morning he now refused every spoon, no matter whats on it! haha (well only somehow funny)
    This evening I gave him a bit of cow and gate creamy porridge. Anyone tried that before? He actually tried some and seemed to really like it.
    ( I also tried the organic baby rice, but to be honest it tastes like wallpaper glu or just nothing, so I won't give him that anymore)

I was thinking nearly he will never eat! he really just "tastes" the food still, I would call it. And we are nearly on week 3 now. Is that all normal??
    :) I appreciate some answers of you guys ! Its really nice to "meet" some of you again here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5 ZoeZ

Hi Amelie84,
    have you tried milupa sunshine orange? my son loves it! I mix it with a little pear or apple and he cant get enough of the stuff.
    Also with veg maybe try mixing sweet potatoe with carrot or parsnip.
    Hope its getting easier for you and your little one :)

• Registered Users Posts: 27 Amelie84

ZoeZ wrote: »
    Hi Amelie84,
    have you tried milupa sunshine orange? my son loves it! I mix it with a little pear or apple and he cant get enough of the stuff.
    Also with veg maybe try mixing sweet potatoe with carrot or parsnip.
    Hope its getting easier for you and your little one :)

I have tried the Milupa bedtime cereal and he seems to love it too, but I cant get anything else into him haha.. I try, and sometimes he takes a few spoons but mostly just refuses. except of the bedtime cereal!? I hope he will soon get the hang on the rest too :/

• Advertisement

I started by mixing some pear purée in with the cereal - one ice cube in with about 4 heaped teaspoons of cereal - you could try this more dilute but then increase the amount over a few days? I did this with baby rice and veg for the other 2 meals also - gradually reduced the amount of baby rice!

Now she eats anything! Today she had salmon for lunch! The faces are hilarious!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

Trying to move J on from purees all of the time & introduce some lumps & texture to his food. So far I'm being met with alot of gagging though he does finish the meal. I'm just afraid of making mealtimes a negative experience as J has always loved his solids but now he is starting to push the spoon away.
    Is 7.5 months too young to stop pureeing food or should I just persevere with more texture food & let him eventually get used to it?

Gagging is normal, believe it or not. At that age the gag reflex is at the front of the mouth so it doesn't mean they're choking.

I know you're doing puréed food but google baby led weaning and you'll read lots of reassuring these about the gag reflex.

I think you should be introducing lumps and texture at 7.5 months. The gag reflex moves further back over the next few months so the longer you leave it to introduce texture the more he'll gag.

I'd also suggest introducing a bit of finger food at this stage - pieces of banana, slices of ripe pear, boiled carrot sticks, roasted red pepper slices etc. the finger food should be big enough to grab hold off.

Thanks for the reply, he gets finger food inbetween his 3 meals like toast, biscotti buscuits, banana or whatever we are eating ourselves we'll give him some of to hold in his hand & chew on. He occasionally will gag on finger food but I never panic & he usually sorts himself out.
    I spoke to my PHN this morning & she said the same, to just persevere & he will get used to the new textures eventually :-)

Yep it's hard to watch as a mum but it does get easier!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

If he is getting on okay with finger food would you not try him with main meals as you are having them? I imagine he would we well able for pieces of cooked pasta and some tomato sauce for example. It is messy for sure but it doesn't really matter if/how much they actually get in as they are getting all the nutrients they need from milk at that stage.

Lola92 wrote: »
    If he is getting on okay with finger food would you not try him with main meals as you are having them? I imagine he would we well able for pieces of cooked pasta and some tomato sauce for example. It is messy for sure but it doesn't really matter if/how much they actually get in as they are getting all the nutrients they need from milk at that stage.

I think I might try this as he seems to be getting more & more annoyed with me feeding him but gets so excited when I hand him a piece of food.
    Just have to get over MY need to know how much food he's actually getting, doesn't help when the PHN is telling me he's below average weight wise :-/

Ms2011 below who's average? If he's an otherwise healthy and content baby the weight he's supposed to be.

I did baby led weaning which basically is weaning after 6 months using finger food and 'adult' food as opposed to purées and counting spoons. The main principle which I still have to remind myself about is to let the baby take the lead and trust that they eat as much as they want to. It can drive you to distraction at times like tonight when my son picked at his roast chicken and carrots but I don't cajole him or try to trick him into eating more. Also food up to a year is about exploring different tastes and textures as milk should remain their main source of nutrition up to 12 months.

I'd trust your own instincts as a mother and ignore your phn's comments about his weight unless there's an underlying reason for it. It really takes the stress out of weaning if you stop worrying about 'how much' they eat and just let food be about exploring taste and texture.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,192 ✭✭✭Lola92

I tend to take very little heed of the weight babies are supposed to be. As long as they are not poorly as a result. If you think about it how many adults do you know that are exactly the weight they should be relative to their height? Very few I would imagine. Average is a bad word to use IMO, it is a spectrum of weights, of course there are children that are naturally below that, otherwise the chart wouldn't encompass that weight range at all! Sorry, just a bit of a bug bear of mine. HCP's should look at the child as a whole, their general health, development and form etc as a guide to how a child is progressing rather than focusing on the scales or a milestones check list.

I would definitely try with the finger food for main meals going forward. No way my girl would have let me spoon feed her a meal at 7.5 months, she is and was fiercely independent and was always much happier sitting at the table with us working away at her grub herself. I she gets caught on a little piece of food sit on your hands if you have to, for 10 seconds, and then if she still needs help give it to her. I think E needed it once in the whole time she was learning to eat, and after 3 weeks of puree she was feeding herself.

If he is getting excited about feeding himself then take that is your cue to let him go a little and trust in his ability to do it, as HS said above. It is definitely preferable to stressing and ending up with a potential power struggle situation getting to eat for you.

There is a BLW group on facebook with lots of information, support, ideas and advice from other mums about weaning, I think it is great! Link here if you are interested. :)

• Advertisement

Thanks for the information ladies, it all makes perfect sense, been reading up on another site; Little Grazers, some great information & recipes there too. Feel like this may be the way to go, I always remember having to sit over my dinner as a child until it was finished regardless whether I liked it or was full & I always vowed I wouldn't do the same to my kids, I want J to enjoy food :-)

Advertisement