Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,391 ✭✭✭fro9etb8j5qsl2

The ellas pouches are YUM, I'll have to stop buying the spag bol because I always end up eating half of it on the baby :o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Yeah don't dismiss them completely based on those jars, they really aren't a good example. It's so handy to have one in the changing bag cos if you take the home cooked stuff out it has to be eaten fairly quickly whereas if you were stuck a pouch is fine til it's opened. You're going to run into emergencies where you don't have enough pre prrepared stuff at some stage. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the limited range of vegetarian options in stage 3. There's quite a few in stage 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 244 ✭✭Bagheera

Just in case anyone is considering baby led weaning I just wanted to say go for it as I'm finding it brilliant. I started with it but lost my nerve due to some gagging incidents so I then went to purées. Had an absolute disaster with them. My son got infinitely more windy and was up several times a night with trapped wind. I was tearing my hair out until eventually I decided to stop all purées. The past week he has been self feeding and he is flying (he's 7 months now). No hassle as he is eating what we're eating minus any salty ingredients. His sleep, while still not perfect, is much better. He even managed to only wake once for a feed from 7.30-6 the other night, something that I never thought would happen.

Every baby is different as my first did brilliantly with Annabel Karmel's weaning guidelines and has a great appetite now. But after eventually going with BLW this time, if I ever have another baby I'll be doing it again!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

kandr10 wrote: »
    Yeah don't dismiss them completely based on those jars, they really aren't a good example. It's so handy to have one in the changing bag cos if you take the home cooked stuff out it has to be eaten fairly quickly whereas if you were stuck a pouch is fine til it's opened. You're going to run into emergencies where you don't have enough pre prrepared stuff at some stage. The only thing I'm disappointed with is the limited range of vegetarian options in stage 3. There's quite a few in stage 2.

I tried the cow and gate fruit pot things and they are grand, I give him glenisik fromàge frais too :)
    I will provide his food for his baby minder so I will need a good stock anyway. I may try Ella's in a month or so :) but I will just buy one. Her banana one looks, smells and tastes horrible.
    I would love if I found one that was grand because if I have a day in work where I am cooking all day I just want to make something easy when I go home.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,323 ✭✭✭Roesy

Bagheera wrote: »
    Just in case anyone is considering baby led weaning I just wanted to say go for it as I'm finding it brilliant. I started with it but lost my nerve due to some gagging incidents so I then went to purées. Had an absolute disaster with them. My son got infinitely more windy and was up several times a night with trapped wind. I was tearing my hair out until eventually I decided to stop all purées. The past week he has been self feeding and he is flying (he's 7 months now). No hassle as he is eating what we're eating minus any salty ingredients. His sleep, while still not perfect, is much better. He even managed to only wake once for a feed from 7.30-6 the other night, something that I never thought would happen.

Every baby is different as my first did brilliantly with Annabel Karmel's weaning guidelines and has a great appetite now. But after eventually going with BLW this time, if I ever have another baby I'll be doing it again!

I find it brilliant too. I did a couple of weeks of purée with my now 9 month old when we were starting out but she kept trying to feed herself so I said what the hell. We'll give baby led weaning a go. I still laugh at people's reactions when they see her sitting down tucking into a peach or setting too with whatever we're having. It's great fun but oh so messy!! She'll be with granny and grandad four of the days when I'm back to work the week after next and I'm not sure they have their heads wrapped around it though so I'd say they'll be giving a bit more spoon feeds than she's had......if she'll take it!! If she's having soup/yogurt/porridge we have to use pre loaded spoons.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

I do a combination of BLW and purees, mainly because my mam minds him when I'm in work and there's no way in blue hell she'd let him have 'grown up' food; she's terrified of him choking! So I give him real food at home, and send her things like spag bol, cottage pie etc that I've cooked for him. Today he had an avocado and cheese sambo to the amazement of my OH's mother. Yesterday she couldn't get over him eating a peach (woe betide anyone who tries to mush or cut up a peach for him; he wails and screeches until he gets his hands on it - he then cries when you take away the stone!!! He really loves peaches!!) He also loves toast, raisin bread, steamed broccoli florets, grated cheddar, banana, rice cakes, anything that he can hold and gnaw the life out of :D

As for the cow & gate jars, a few weeks ago I got some c&g pots called little gourmet (7-18mths) They have about 4 varieties. They were really nice, the tagliatelle one had decent sized pieces of pasta in them and recognisable veg lol! He loved them. However, today I tried to give him a different c&g meal - little steamed meals, in a funny shaped pot. It. Was. Vile. He hated it, and refused to eat it. I can still smell it off his breath, five hours and a bottle and a teeth brush later. The other two pots I got will be going in the bin.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭Chattastrophe!

That's great that the combination of BLW and purees is working out for you nikpmup - this was my plan all along, pureed food in creche, and BLW at home. But being spoonfed in creche has made him lazy, and he has no real interest in even trying to feed himself - although he absolutely loves being spoonfed, and gobbles it down! Whereas if I give him "real" food, he mostly just plays with it and throws it off his chair ... I still give it to him, but will usually end up just feeding him a pouch after it all ends up on the floor!

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

Can I give tinned salmon? Also if any of ye do what recipes have you for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,292 ✭✭✭Cunning Stunt

well my little lad is still off his solids and I see there's a third tooth in the mix now. We gave him some yoghurt as someone suggested and he took a bit. Other than that he fed himself half a marietta biscuit and two tiny pieces of cooked ham today. I suppose his bottles will have to do until his mouth is better. I hope this won't last too long though!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,510 ✭✭✭nikpmup

That's great that the combination of BLW and purees is working out for you nikpmup - this was my plan all along, pureed food in creche, and BLW at home. But being spoonfed in creche has made him lazy, and he has no real interest in even trying to feed himself - although he absolutely loves being spoonfed, and gobbles it down! Whereas if I give him "real" food, he mostly just plays with it and throws it off his chair ... I still give it to him, but will usually end up just feeding him a pouch after it all ends up on the floor!

Keep at it, he'll eventually feed himself! I used to put small pieces of food in his mouth (by hand, not on a spoon) and he eventually started picking it up himself.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,919 ✭✭✭dori_dormer

Lol my little fella is getting frustrated with BLW. Hell put one thing in his mouth (usually a whole carrot stick, or rice cake or something) Then pick something up in each hand. when it all doesnt fit in his mouth (or dissolve fast enough as he doesnt have any teeth) he cries and it all falls out and he starts again. Sigh. Hes so impatient like me its scary! Might just have to give him one thing at a time or something.

Girls, if I make ready brek for a 7 month old do I use his baby formula or normal milk? He is 7 months.

Millem wrote: »
    Girls, if I make ready brek for a 7 month old do I use his baby formula or normal milk? He is 7 months.

You can use either but cows milk is fine to give in his food from 6 months. I've given it a few times to get him used to it, no problems at all.

You can use either but cows milk is fine to give in his food from 6 months. I've given it a few times to get him used to it, no problems at all.

Thanks chatastrophe. How much is your little boy drinking now ? Our baby seems to want less milk! I have noticed he leaves an oz or two. So maybe consumes 24oz per day.

Millem wrote: »
    Thanks chatastrophe. How much is your little boy drinking now ? Our baby seems to want less milk! I have noticed he leaves an oz or two. So maybe consumes 24oz per day.

He usually has four eight oz bottles, might leave an oz or two but usually finishes them. He also has a few oz of either cows milk or formula mixed in with his breakfast. And usually has a few oz of water throughout the day as well. I'd like to see about cutting out a formula bottle, he'd definItely miss it though, he knows exactly when they're due each day!

He usually has four eight oz bottles, might leave an oz or two but usually finishes them. He also has a few oz of either cows milk or formula mixed in with his breakfast. And usually has a few oz of water throughout the day as well. I'd like to see about cutting out a formula bottle, he'd definItely miss it though, he knows exactly when they're due each day!

I reckon he has around 2 oz in his breakfast so 26oz in total. My baby is terrible for water he refuses sippy cup so we are waiting on doidy cup to come :)

Ours is doing the same milem, since his meals are getting more proper dinner-ish (as opposed to just pureed fruit etc), he has been struggling with his last bottle of the evening. Normally, the bottle used to be swamped quickly but he has started losing interest when he gets down to the last 3ozs and it's a struggle to get it into him. He takes 3 8oz bottles of formula a day and 4ozs of juice.

Ours is doing the same milem, since his meals are getting more proper dinner-ish (as opposed to just pureed fruit etc), he has been struggling with his last bottle of the evening. Normally, the bottle used to be swamped quickly but he has started losing interest when he gets down to the last 3ozs and it's a struggle to get it into him. He takes 3 8oz bottles of formula a day and 4ozs of juice.

Yes that sounds exactly like our little one! Today he had cereal and 6oz bottle, mashed potato, parsnip, carrot and cheese sauce, natural yoghurt and a banana, 6oz bottle, roast chicken, potato, broccoli and carrots, 6oz bottle and will have another 6oz in 30mins. I reckon he drank only 2 oz of water. I think it seems like a lot of food but I am following the back of anabel's book as a guide! He is teething real bad at the mo :( bottom tooth is coming up and one at the back.

I am going to try toast lightly buttered tomorrow :) I guess I cut it into strips?

Ah the poor little fella :( I find cold slices of fruit great for the teething. That does sound like loads of food, there's no way I could get my fella to have a whole banana after his dinner but then again, he loves big portions. We tried the toast yesterday and he loved it! I was worried he might gag and at one stage he bit off a big piece and I panicked and went to fish it out of his mouth only to find it had been swallowed whole :) I just toasted the bread lightly so it was still soft, buttered it and cut it into strips long enough for him to hold and shove in.

Ah the poor little fella :( I find cold slices of fruit great for the teething. That does sound like loads of food, there's no way I could get my fella to have a whole banana after his dinner but then again, he loves big portions. We tried the toast yesterday and he loved it! I was worried he might gag and at one stage he bit off a big piece and I panicked and went to fish it out of his mouth only to find it had been swallowed whole :) I just toasted the bread lightly so it was still soft, buttered it and cut it into strips long enough for him to hold and shove in.

Yes I think it sounds like loads of food and she says to give fruit with breakfast too! (I don't think he would have space for!!). I buy the kiddy bananas for him and whizz it with natural yoghurt in my mini chopper. I will do berries tomorrow.

• Advertisement

I was wondering if you all wouldnt mind sharing your schedules with me! Ive been following ananbel karmels book mostly, but her timing isnt really working for us!

At the moment he drinks 32 oz over 4 bottles and is 6 1/2 months old ( but started weaning just after 5 months.

Current schedule

8am : baby cereal/ porridge mixed with pureed fruit + 1 bottle

12 :bottle

2pm: veg meal from the book and finger foods

4pm: bottle

6pm: meat meal

8pm: bottle and bed

I really would like to bring his lunch and dinner forward a bit, but that would unbalance the bottles and he does be starving for those most days! He usually tells me that hes full with the food too, so more there wouldnt balance it out either. He also doesnt get up any earlier. takes him 30 min after waking before hes able to take a bottle for some reason! (glad of this most days!)

Im really just looking for reassurance from others. I should probably just follow his lead and leave it as it is! thx!

I was wondering if you all wouldnt mind sharing your schedules with me! Ive been following ananbel karmels book mostly, but her timing isnt really working for us!

At the moment he drinks 32 oz over 4 bottles and is 6 1/2 months old ( but started weaning just after 5 months.

Current schedule

I really would like to bring his lunch and dinner forward a bit, but that would unbalance the bottles and he does be starving for those most days! He usually tells me that hes full with the food too, so more there wouldnt balance it out either. He also doesnt get up any earlier. takes him 30 min after waking before hes able to take a bottle for some reason! (glad of this most days!)

Im really just looking for reassurance from others. I should probably just follow his lead and leave it as it is! thx!

I was literally typing this up for our minder! This is what we just started. It is from the back of her book.

7am breakfast porridge/cereal and bottle 6oz

11.00 bottle 6oz

12.30 lunch a savoury and a sweet
    Water in a sippy cup

3.00 bottle 6oz

4.30 dinner (meat, veg and carbs) and water in sippy cup

7.00 bottle 6oz and bed

Current schedule

Since you have a four hr gap between the breakfast and first bottle would he take that bottle an hr or two earlier then everything would come forward.

Thaanks! Yeah but then all his bottles come forward too and there's no way he'd go to bed earlier than 8. Might do when it gets darker sooner though. I might bring the meals forward by 30mintomorrow and see how we go!

How did everyone get their kids to drink from a sippy cup? My fella really dislikes juice and water. Just spits it all straight out. Even at room temp. Tried it in a bottle and he roared cos it wasn't milk poor fella!

Ours looks something like this:

-9am 8oz bottle with porridge/ready break
    -1pm 8oz bottle
    -4pm fruit or veg meal with 4oz juice and a pot of baby custard (sometimes I'll give the custard at 3pm if he's hungry or to keep him going an extra while if I'm planning to go out)
    -7pm dinner (usually with meat/chicken) with 8oz bottle

Throughout the day I'll give him little bits of whatever fruit I'm eating or toast. I keep a box of heinz powdered food in the cupboard in case I'm caught short for dinner, it's not the healthiest option but it's quick and handy and himself loves it :o

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

My guy turned up his nose at dinner the other day. I hope us bit getting fussy he is only 10 months old! He used to Hoover anything I have him lol! He is still on 3 bottles then water with meals he drinks his water out of a nuby sippy cup. Do I start giving him his milk in that instead of the bottles soon? He just has the ordinary avent bottles.

How did everyone get their kids to drink from a sippy cup? My fella really dislikes juice and water. Just spits it all straight out. Even at room temp. Tried it in a bottle and he roared cos it wasn't milk poor fella!

What age is your baby? Personally I wouldn't give juice until at least maybe 4-5 years old, it's not good for their developing teeth.

As for the water, you could try giving him a bottle of milk an ounce or two smaller than his usual, then after a short break give him a small bottle of water? I think he's less likely to make a fuss about it not being milk if he's not actually thirsty at the time! Also if you give him rusks etc, try giving him water at the same time or shortly after (again, when he's not actually all that thirsty.) Once he gets used to the taste, he's more likely to take it then even when he is actually thirsty.

Also, do you give cooled boiled water? You could try bottled water - however be very careful about sodium content, some are much higher than others - I think I read Evian is one of the lowest? (I usually just give the cooled boiled water myself, but he'll take the bottled water fine if we're out and about or if I don't have time to wait for the water to cool!)

What age is your baby? Personally I wouldn't give juice until at least maybe 4-5 years old, it's not good for their developing teeth.

As for the water, you could try giving him a bottle of milk an ounce or two smaller than his usual, then after a short break give him a small bottle of water? I think he's less likely to make a fuss about it not being milk if he's not actually thirsty at the time! Also if you give him rusks etc, try giving him water at the same time or shortly after (again, when he's not actually all that thirsty.) Once he gets used to the taste, he's more likely to take it then even when he is actually thirsty.

Also, do you give cooled boiled water? You could try bottled water - however be very careful about sodium content, some are much higher than others - I think I read Evian is one of the lowest? (I usually just give the cooled boiled water myself, but he'll take the bottled water fine if we're out and about or if I don't have time to wait for the water to cool!)

thanks. Hes 6 and a half months. Was giving him watered down innocent juice. And have been giving him cooled boiled water. I might try really watered down formula to get him used to the taste. He drank sugared water when we were on holidays no problem, but i dont really want to give him sugar water either

I dont know if the sippy cup is now ruined becasuse he dislikes juice so much. he just spits it out and cries! To be honest Id rather he didnt have juice anyway. but would really like him to be able to drink water. Ill just keep trying!

thanks. Hes 6 and a half months. Was giving him watered down innocent juice. And have been giving him cooled boiled water. I might try really watered down formula to get him used to the taste. He drank sugared water when we were on holidays no problem, but i dont really want to give him sugar water either

I dont know if the sippy cup is now ruined becasuse he dislikes juice so much. he just spits it out and cries! To be honest Id rather he didnt have juice anyway. but would really like him to be able to drink water. Ill just keep trying!

Dori it could be the sippy cup. I have the tommee tippee one (the first one) and he will tolerate maybe only 2oz per day. I tried annabel karmels one but no joy. I have ordered a doidy cup to try :)

• Advertisement

Don't stress it. He's still quite young. Maybe just try offering it from time to time during the day, at meals etc. I wouldn't stress if he doesn't take much. He'll get used to it eventually.

I used that tommee tippee one at first too and it was hard for herself to suck from because it was...well hard! Tried a nuby one we had lying around and it had a thing shaped like a sippy but soft like a teat. She got used to that and now takes the two. She only takes a few ounces through the day. Try a few types and alternate them maybe?

Edit: just to add from looking at friends kids and nieces and nephews, if seems by the time they get used to sippy cups they want to move onto the next thing. Little rascals! That's why I wouldn't stress about it. They're used for a relatively short time.

Advertisement