Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Weaning Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

JD24 wrote: »
    Hi All,

My LO is 23 weeks, I started weaning at 20 weeks. Started with baby cereal which started out ok. Did one feed every day, 1-2 spoonfuls for a week or so then moved to twice a day, 4-6 spoonfuls. For the last few days its been a nightmare, lips clenched tight, refusing with head movements, if I do manage to get some in she gags but will eventually eat it but only because she cant get it out of her mouth! Ive even gone back to baby rice. I had only tried apple, that was as far as i got! Shes just over 5 months. Should I give it a break or persist? Any advice would be greatly appreicated!!

I personally would leave it a week or two & come back to it, there is no hurry, milk is enough for a baby that young.
    The saying is "food before one is just for fun" & she doesn't sound like she's having fun, you don't want to end up giving her a complex about eating. She will get the hang of it but sounds like she just needs more time.

• Registered Users Posts: 220 ✭✭JD24

Ms2011 wrote: »
    I personally would leave it a week or two & come back to it, there is no hurry, milk is enough for a baby that young.
    The saying is "food before one is just for fun" & she doesn't sound like she's having fun, you don't want to end up giving her a complex about eating. She will get the hang of it but sounds like she just needs more time.

Thanks Ms2011. That's exactly what I was thinking. I'm gonna leave it a week or two and see how we get on then :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭cant26

Just wondering if anyone defrosts their babys meals in the microwave on the defrost setting? I take my babys lunch out of the freezer in the morning but sometimes it's not defrosted by lunch time. I have used the microwave for just veg but not so sure whether it's ok when there is meat/poultry in the meal.

• Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cant26 wrote: »
    Just wondering if anyone defrosts their babys meals in the microwave on the defrost setting? I take my babys lunch out of the freezer in the morning but sometimes it's not defrosted by lunch time. I have used the microwave for just veg but not so sure whether it's ok when there is meat/poultry in the meal.

I preferred to blast it on full power to defrost and heat through thoroughly and let it cool to a temperature suitable for baby. Then you know that any bacteria has been killed off by the high temperature and its safe to eat.

The best way to avoid food poisoning is to keep chilled food below 5 degrees, and heat to a core temperature of 75 degrees. Inside this range, bacteria can multiply. You should avoid having food for lengths of time inside this temperature range so bacteria cant grow or multiply.

Thats why they recommend you defrost slowly in a fridge, or cook from frozen.

This is a good resource: http://www.fsai.ie/faqs/temperature_control.html

Neyite wrote: »
    I preferred to blast it on full power to defrost and heat through thoroughly and let it cool to a temperature suitable for baby. Then you know that any bacteria has been killed off by the high temperature and its safe to eat.

The best way to avoid food poisoning is to keep chilled food below 5 degrees, and heat to a core temperature of 75 degrees. Inside this range, bacteria can multiply. You should avoid having food for lengths of time inside this temperature range so bacteria cant grow or multiply.

Thats why they recommend you defrost slowly in a fridge, or cook from frozen.

This is a good resource: http://www.fsai.ie/faqs/temperature_control.html

Thanks for that neyite. Whenever I've used the microwave I'd use the defrost setting to thaw and then put it on full until it was piping hot! Just wasn't sure if it was safe. Think i will start taking it out at night to leave in the fridge to thaw overnight.

• Advertisement
  • Administrators, Politics Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Neyite

cant26 wrote: »
    Thanks for that neyite. Whenever I've used the microwave I'd use the defrost setting to thaw and then put it on full until it was piping hot! Just wasn't sure if it was safe. Think i will start taking it out at night to leave in the fridge to thaw overnight.

Its absolutely safe to reheat on full power from frozen too. You might find that baby will refuse something you've defrosted so you need to offer something else, or they may want more once the original portion is eaten, so its good to know you can nuke.

I used to nuke it on full power till hot, then add chilled milk to cool it down. Babies are not known for their patience when it comes to their grub. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭Rachineire

Im having a small problem here- my little boy is 12 months and all of the sudden my great eater is refusing his food!!

He is ok with breakfast which is ready brek with pureed apple or pear or banana. Then lunch would be a mixed veg mash and some toast with ham or some pasta, the veg mash being the main part of his meal.
    Dinner would be similar with the mixed veg mash and then we give him.some fish fingers or chicken dippers or mince or other meat of some.description.
    So recently he will eat the meat and the toast but is absolutly refusing the veg mash point blank. Turns his head, clamps his.mouth shut and cries. Now if he is distracted by big bugs band or baby einstein or something i.can get a few spoonfuls in him but other than.that nothing! I really dont want to have to resort to that for every.meal!

im so.frustrated and dread meal times now- anyone deal.with this before? Is it just a phase and i need to sit tight or do i need to change what he eats big time? Not sure what to give him as main portions of meals. He still doesnt want the veg mash even if he is feeding himself. Any advice welcome!!!

(also he has a milk protein allergy and is allergic to eggs so im somewhat limited!)

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

Rachineire wrote: »
    Im having a small problem here- my little boy is 12 months and all of the sudden my great eater is refusing his food!!

He is ok with breakfast which is ready brek with pureed apple or pear or banana. Then lunch would be a mixed veg mash and some toast with ham or some pasta, the veg mash being the main part of his meal.
    Dinner would be similar with the mixed veg mash and then we give him.some fish fingers or chicken dippers or mince or other meat of some.description.
    So recently he will eat the meat and the toast but is absolutly refusing the veg mash point blank. Turns his head, clamps his.mouth shut and cries. Now if he is distracted by big bugs band or baby einstein or something i.can get a few spoonfuls in him but other than.that nothing! I really dont want to have to resort to that for every.meal!

im so.frustrated and dread meal times now- anyone deal.with this before? Is it just a phase and i need to sit tight or do i need to change what he eats big time? Not sure what to give him as main portions of meals. He still doesnt want the veg mash even if he is feeding himself. Any advice welcome!!!

(also he has a milk protein allergy and is allergic to eggs so im somewhat limited!)

Maybe try some steamed veg batons instead of mashed veg. He might enjoy feeding himself! Adding some cheese to the veg may help too!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,992 ✭✭✭dublinlady

My first refused food around the same age and now is an awful eater at 23 months - we think its cos we stressed about it too much and tried to coax her to eat whereas I think we should have let her refuse it and just gone with it - even if this means she would wake at night hungry - this is so unlikely cos if they miss one meal they tend to make up for it at next! They get a lot if back teeth at that age too which can effect things and also I read that they need less food weirdly as the grow at a much slower rate! I swear your actions now could create a fussy water so I would say - leave her to it - ofer her the finger foods when possible as the love independence and just let her refuse it and don't coax! I certainly won't be this time around - my 8 month old is a fan eater but I know it'll change again!!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

This is going to happen so many times over the next two years.

I'd highly recommend you read my child won't eat by Carlos Gonzalez.
    It's a fantastic book and will reassure you that it's normal and the best thing you can do is not to stress (easier said than done I know!)

I did blw with my son and I never coaxed. It was my big absolute rule. He still had food strikes, he has foods he refuses to eat like cheese. But he eats until he's full and then stops and thankfully he eats a wide range of food.

I'm spoonfeeding and doing finger food with my daughter as I don't have as much time now that 2 kids have to be fed but again I don't coax.

It's hard though especially when they stop eating and your instinct is to try anything to get them to eat.

That's why I recommend that book. It'll put your mind at ease and take the stress out of mealtimes.

• Advertisement

Rachineire wrote: »

Apparently after 12 months their appetite does plummet somewhat. My 20 month old eats far less than when he was 12 months, but they need less as they get older. I agree with not forcing it or coaxing. I would give extra milk on the days he didnt eat so much. I read that you should assess their intake over a few days or a week instead of day by day because one day they will eat next to nothing, and the following day eat rings around themselves.

You could try to change the texture of the veg - whole brocolli shoots or carrot batons might work better.

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

I've been reading through this thread a bit, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for so sorry if it's been asked before,

little fella is 19 weeks today, we're discussing solids, he was premature but the nurse said we could start him from 17 weeks if we really wanted to.

How many ounces should your baby be drinking before you start on solids, the average like?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,119 ✭✭✭Ms2011

I've been reading through this thread a bit, but I couldn't seem to find what I was looking for so sorry if it's been asked before,

little fella is 19 weeks today, we're discussing solids, he was premature but the nurse said we could start him from 17 weeks if we really wanted to.

How many ounces should your baby be drinking before you start on solids, the average like?

If your baby is formula feed it should say on the side of the formula tin how much your baby should be drink at whatever age.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,030 ✭✭✭yellow hen

Little man is 11 months this weekend so I'm going to start introducing cows milk to his bottle mid morning. This bottle is mainly used to make his breakfast. As he'll be in crèche for that bottle should I just mix some cows milk with the formula and let them microwave it as normal before mixing with his porridge? Is that ok?

• Registered Users Posts: 128 ✭✭PuddingHead

could anyone shed some light, I'mfeeding the lo sma first infant milk (yellow lid)

there is sma follow on milk for 6 months old plus (red lid) for weaning,

I've read the tins but I'm still not sure when to change, do I change as soon as I start weaning or do I wait until spoon feeds are in some way established.

• Registered Users Posts: 251 ✭✭lmullen

could anyone shed some light, I'mfeeding the lo sma first infant milk (yellow lid)

there is sma follow on milk for 6 months old plus (red lid) for weaning,

I've read the tins but I'm still not sure when to change, do I change as soon as I start weaning or do I wait until spoon feeds are in some way established.

The red lid sma is targeted at breastfed babies being weaned. Your lo can stay on the yellow for as long as you want. I used sma too and changed from yellow to red not long after starting solids when the yellow tin had run out. I changed because the red lid goes on offer unlike the yellow lid.

Does anyone have any tips on how to get an 8.5 month old to eat some finger foods! My little guy will eat anything off a spoon but whenever I place any type of food on his high chair for him to eat himself he puts it everywhere but his mouth! He looks at it for a few minutes suspiciously, then he picks it up, then he plays with it. it never makes its way to his mouth.

I'm not sure if I should be worried and I don't know how to encourage him apart from eating it myself. Has anyone experienced this?

It's probably going to take a bit of time to get the hang of it. I find pieces of toast a great first finger food. Also quarters of pear, peeled and dried with some kitchen roll.

I think you just have to persevere and in a week or two you'll notice more food is going in than is landing on the floor.

Thanks for that. I wouldn't give finger food every day as he has so little interest in it. Starting now though and hopefully he will start to get the hang of it.

He loves pear but any time I buy them they are bullets for at least two weeks then all of a sudden they are spoiled! Was thinking if giving him tinned pear but there is a serious amount of juice in the tin! Thanks again.

I buy the conference pears as they're usually soft and ready to eat even when they look green.

With finger food perhaps give it at non meal times so if you're trying to get dinner ready sit him in his chair and give something for him to hold, squish up and eventually put in his mouth.

• Advertisement

Also quarters of pear, peeled and dried with some kitchen roll.

Silly but I never thought to dry them off before giving them to O. Poor mite couldnt get a grip of them at all :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 680 ✭✭✭icescreamqueen

I really don't have a clue about weaning at all. I don't really know what to do next. I started my baby on her first tastes 3 weeks ago. I gave her the usual first taste like banana, potato, carrots. Broccoli, pears, apple, avocado, sweet potato and the like. She loved them all. I now have her on two little 'meals' per day. It's usually something like pear and apple or sweet potato. What is the next step for her? And how much formula should she be taking? She is just over 6 months now.

Hi all, just wondering what you all feed to your 1 year olds for lunches dinners? Just looking for a few ideas. Thanks!

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭FunkSoulSista

yellow hen wrote: »
    Hi all, just wondering what you all feed to your 1 year olds for lunches dinners? Just looking for a few ideas. Thanks!

Hi yellow hen

Just saw this, my 14month old would have spag bol, casserole, fish pie, ravioli, carbonara for his main meal around 12pm. Then in evening something like scrambled egg beans spaghetti on toast.

I was actually coming on here to ask similar question on what people give during tea time or do they give main meal then? Feel like my lo would eat forever!

Also not sure if right thread, any tips for getting babies off bottles onto beakers? My son has 2 7oz cows milk bottles a day morning and night. If offer him a beaker instead he goes nuts!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Quick question about weaning ...
    I'm not starting yet but just reading up a bit and came across the baby led approach. It seems one of the main cons is risk of baby choking. I'm just curious since you have to introduce finger foods at some point regardless of whether you follow this method, when does the risk of choking decrease? Had anyone had their spoon fed baby gag on finger foods when they're introduced? Is it a case of them having to develop a muscle or something or do they learn not to gag by practicising biting and chewing?

Gagging is not the same as choking. Gagging is very noisy and choking is silent. I've done blw on both of mine and all it means is you leapfrog to finger foods and lumpier textures a couple of months sooner.

The sooner (after 6 months) that you start on lumpier and finger food the better as the baby's gag reflex is at the front of the mouth. As the baby gets older and closer to 1 year the gag reflex moves to the back of the mouth.

Without a doubt there's a few terrifying weeks at the start as there's lots of gagging, regurgitated food, bulging eyes but they get the hang of it very quickly.

I'd recommend you read the Gill Rapley baby led weaning book if you're interested in going down that route. Also educate yourself on what to do with a choking infant. We had to intervene once on our son.

I've seen a lot of parents giving purées for far too long and the baby is then terrified to eat lumpy food as it frightens them.

Interestingly the NHS in UK now promotes blw as a method of weaning. If give it 10 years before the HSE catch up.

Personally I'm glad I've done it this way on both kids. Last night we had dinner together. We all ate the same thing and my 10 month old had chicken pieces and balls of colcannon.

Btw I do a combination of spoonfeeding and finger food this time around but I always mashed the food and never puréed. We started at 6 months. She likes to take the spoon and feed herself too. The main thing is I never coax or cajole. If she doesn't want to eat I leave it and trust that she knows when she has enough.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,601 ✭✭✭kandr10

Thanks for clarifying how strange.

Just out of interest did your second lo react any differently to the finger foods than your first having had a combination?

It's great to hear from someone with experience. I was reading Annabel Karmels book and she suggested making the purées as similar to milk as poss in the beginning by adding milk which I found strange. I like the idea of just mashing rather than pureeing. Thanks for the book recommendation too! I'll get stuck into that.

I've got that book and I've no need for it now so if you want to pm me with your address and I'll post it to you.

My daughter is totally fine with finger foods even though I spoon feed too. She loves pieces of toast at breakfast time and I make thick things like porridge or weetabix and give her a loaded spoon. I've heard Jo Jo maman bebe do a spoon that always stays up no matter how it's turned so I must look into that. It'd save a lot of mess!

Annabel Karmel has some lovely recipes but I don't get the fascination with puréeing everything for a 6 month + baby. I've started using the baby stock cubes when cooking so she can eat the same food as us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭lolademmers

So I started my LO on solids this week. Just started with sweet potato did a couple of days might try pear today. I give it to him about an hour after his lunch time bottle so he has it around 1 or 2. I was just wondering how soon it takes for this feed to replace his bottle ? Just gave him a couple of spoons so far.

Advertisement