Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Living on the breadline for the next month or so...

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 369 ✭✭shuyin1

OutlawPete wrote: »
    €50

4 Chickens €20
    Veg / Fruit €10
    Bread / Treats €5
    Cineworld Unlimited €5
    Off Licence €10

4 chickens for a month? 2 weeks max maybe.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,097 ✭✭✭Herb Powell

two words; Peggy Twoomey's

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

shuyin1 wrote: »
    4 chickens for a month? 2 weeks max maybe.

She's €50 a week to live on-not a month

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭pinkheels88

two words; Peggy Twoomey's

What's Peggy Twoomeys?....

• Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

What's a "gourd"???...

I dunno what to do about the thesis binding situation at the end of the month. Haven't really budgeted for that... :rolleyes: I'd never survive off €20 a week though! I'm a small girl but I eat stuff like wholegrain bread and pasta and they're a bit more expensive than plain white bread and stuff... I could let my diet go to actual ruin for the next month, but then my whole summer of working out would go to waste...

It's a bottle made from the dried shell of a bottle gourd.
    I'll give you €4 for one.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,148 ✭✭✭✭KnifeWRENCH

Haven't a clue where they are in Cork, I'm living in the city centre but have never seen them in my four years here...

There is a Lidl out in Togher. It's about 15-20 minutes walk from UCC. If you don't have a car though, it's a long trek to and from the city centre - you'd probably be better off sticking with Tesco in Paul Street and buying only Tesco Value stuff.

€50 a week isn't that bad though - I'm probably gonna be on a similar budget when I go back to college until my grants come through.

What's Peggy Twoomeys?....
    It's a shop where you can get food/sweets/lots of edibles for VERY cheap. The only catch is it's stuff that the supermarkets can't sell cos it's past its' date. But that doesn't matter, it's all perfectly fine stuff-the companies really have to be careful when they make these dates, so they don't have a chance of getting sued. Go for it OP.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,464 ✭✭✭Celly Smunt

non brand curry noodles x4 €1.50-€2
    non brand coke/mineral x4-€1.50-2
    non brand chocolate -€1
    meats-€10
    veg-€5
    fruit-€5
    bread/milk/etc etc - €7

€32

that laves you with a cinema ticket and a few bus fares

EDIT-or live on chipper chips -€2-€2.50 max

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭Gyalist

It never fails to surprise me how many young people in Ireland have no idea of how to cook. 50 euro per week on food is easy to manage and still be able to eat good quality food.

There is a Lidl out in Togher. It's about 15-20 minutes walk from UCC. If you don't have a car though, it's a long trek to and from the city centre - you'd probably be better off sticking with Tesco in Paul Street and buying only Tesco Value stuff.
    Yep no car, so Tesco Value it is me thinks...
    It's a shop where you can get food/sweets/lots of edibles for VERY cheap. The only catch is it's stuff that the supermarkets can't sell cos it's past its' date. But that doesn't matter, it's all perfectly fine stuff-the companies really have to be careful when they make these dates, so they don't have a chance of getting sued. Go for it OP.
    Where bouts in Cork is it?...

• Advertisement

Yep no car, so Tesco Value it is me thinks...

Where bouts in Cork is it?...
    do you know where TK Maxx is, at the Cornmarket centre? It's along that road where there are sometimes markets. The road that the Roundy Bar is on. don't know the name of it sorry

• Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

With €50 a week you could feed yourself on M&S special offers and get cereal/bread/milk etc from Tesco. It seems like plenty to me as long as you don't go out.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

i get my shopping for 35 bats and thats for everything including mince beg etc , and i get my drink , some times buy 2 €4 bottles of wine and gets me to where i want to be :) im borke and i live on that

Gyalist wrote: »
    It never fails to surprise me how many young people in Ireland have no idea of how to cook. 50 euro per week on food is easy to manage and still be able to eat good quality food.

I CAN cook! But I try eat healthy and it's not really that cheap. An organic steak in Tesco costs like 8euro, salmon is like 7 euro, they all add up!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,314 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Not having a go but for fifty quid a week you shouldn't be thinking of steak and salmon. Anyway, it's a short timespan. You'll be surprised how far cash will go when you're forced to survive on a pittance.

I CAN cook! But I try eat healthy and it's not really that cheap. An organic steak in Tesco costs like 8euro, salmon is like 7 euro, they all add up!
    I'm not moving on this.
    €4 for the gourd.

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭LavaLamp

OMG I find that SO exciting! I have always used approved foods and ordered by out of date stuff online lol!! Next time I am in Cork I am going to have to swing buy and stock up on stuff. :D:D:D:D

Terry wrote: »
    I'm not moving on this.
    €4 for the gourd.

WTF is a gourd???? Can't get my head around it!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭A V A

eh i can cook asweel and i sill manage to get healty dinners in every day !! you can budget your money and what you buy and what will do you !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,203 ✭✭✭dave 27

bonzodog2 wrote: »
    As above, check the nearly-out-of-date section in Tesco, I found 7-8PM was a good time. Got a freezer? Use it. Also check out the reduced price whole cooked chickens in Tesco about the same time, I used to get them for 2 euro. Tesco own-rand 'penne' pasta is the cheapest, but Lidl do Fusilli pasta (twirly) for 49c for 500g. Own-brand bread for 55c,cheap beans etc. No problem.

haha gas man! :D

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 16,568 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

salmon fillets are currently 3 packs of 2 fillets for €12.50 in M&S, similar costs for frozen fillets in tesco or dunnes.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

Terry wrote: »
    I'm not moving on this.
    €4 for the gourd.

4 for the gourd? 4??? :eek:
    It's worth 10 if it's worth a shekel!!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

Firstly, organic is a swizz. There is no health benefit to it at all and it doesn't mean the animal was better treated in any way (and this comes from someone who doesn't buy chicken if she can't afford free-range).

Have you joined pigsback.com? Could get a couple of helpful vouchers there. Also, a Tesco Value pepper is the same as a non-Value one, except maybe slightly misshapen. Same goes for carrots, mushrooms, etc.

Have you considered tinned fish? Also, visiting your local butcher/fishmonger can save you a lot of money as they are fond of chucking stuff in for free. Many also do family deals of meat for about 20 quid which, if you have a freezer, should last for quite some time.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,103 ✭✭✭CodeMonkey

Eating healthy does't mean buying into all the organic bs and paying for overpriced meat.

WTF is a gourd???? Can't get my head around it!
    Ok. You don't have a gourd.
    I'll give you €4 for one of your plant pots. I'm trying to grow some Juniper bushes.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

€50 a week is breadline now on food and bills is breadline now?! :eek:

Excluding going out, I spend about that much every week and live quite comfortably.

Buy one packet of pasta and some sauce. And some tinned tuna. And maybe some mince. That's ye set for five dinners.

Buy a bulk pack of koka noodles. That'll do ye for a few lunches.

A big box of cornflakes should easily do for a week's worh of breakfasts.

All the above comes to about €15. Which means ye have about €35 to play around with. Might want to invest in soime vitamin tablets though! :pac:

Oh, and leave any bills until next month.

And the creepy private messages begin.... :rolleyes:
    Regret posting pics of myself in other threads now!

Millicent wrote: »
    Firstly, organic is a swizz. There is no health benefit to it at all and it doesn't mean the animal was better treated in any way (and this comes from someone who doesn't buy chicken if she can't afford free-range).

Have you joined pigsback.com? Could get a couple of helpful vouchers there. Also, a Tesco Value pepper is the same as a non-Value one, except maybe slightly misshapen. Same goes for carrots, mushrooms, etc.

Have you considered tinned fish? Also, visiting your local butcher/fishmonger can save you a lot of money as they are fond of chucking stuff in for free. Many also do family deals of meat for about 20 quid which, if you have a freezer, should last for quite some time.

Also, ALSO! (I've been skint for a long time- got a lot of wisdom on this!), don't go to your local Spar or whatever to get what you run out of. You may pay up to double on it.

Buy bulk of everything expensive (shampoo, loo rolls, etc.) as this is way more economical than buying weekly/fortnightly.

Buy Tesco milk- IIRC, it's just Premier Dairies milk packaged for Tesco. Same goes for a lot of other products. If you get newspapers, or if you're shopping on a Sunday, have a flick through for ads-- supermarkets all announce their weekly offers in the Sunday papers.

Don't buy something just because it's on offer- you'll spend more than you want to on sh1te you don't need. Write a list and stick to it. It might be worth signing up to Tesco's home shopping so you can calculate the prices before you shop (although don't finish the transaction- the delivery cost is often more than what you'd spend on the bus/walking and they tend to eff up the orders anyway.)

And the creepy private messages begin.... :rolleyes:
    Regret posting pics of myself in other threads now!

Did you take a picture of yourself with a gourd? That was just inviting trouble. :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

please note everyone, I am not a sender of any of these creepy PMs. I keep my creeping nice and public.

Advertisement