Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wikileaks founder accused of rape

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

Sounds like a setup from the American Government

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,122 ✭✭✭TalkieWalkie

Yup, character assassination. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

It was to be expected. As far as I know, the story broke in a tabloid, so not exactly concrete just yet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,202 ✭✭✭Jeboa Safari

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11049316

He's no longer suspected...

Strange, wonder who made the allegations, awful thing to do to someone if not true

• Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

If the US government wanted to assassinate his character then I think they could do better than a story which lasts less than a day and will be forgotten about in a week.

Actually, if there's a chance of any conspiracy here I'd say it's the other way around. Claiming it was the US government who made the attempt adds credence to the notion that disclosing all the information they have is the right thing to do, what more could Assange and co ask for?

• Advertisement
  • Site Banned Posts: 8,331 ✭✭✭Brown Bomber

I'm edging towards this coming about to try and make Wikileaks more credible and not a CIA front, which I have seen some valid arguments for.

gizmo wrote: »
    If the US government wanted to assassinate his character then I think they could do better than a story which lasts less than a day and will be forgotten about in a week.

Actually, if there's a chance of any conspiracy here I'd say it's the other way around. Claiming it was the US government who made the attempt adds credence to the notion that disclosing all the information they have is the right thing to do, what more could Assange and co ask for?

???

Not to get falsely accused of rape.

???

Not to get falsely accused of rape.
    In the context of what they're trying to achieve I think this is a non-issue given how long the "charges" actually lasted for.

gizmo wrote: »
    In the context of what they're trying to achieve I think this is a non-issue given how long the "charges" actually lasted for.

I think that is quite a naive thing to say. In war mongering far-right media he will now be referred to as "accused rapist" or some other smear whenever Wikileaks is mentioned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,169 ✭✭✭Grawns

I would hope he gets access to all the docs and publishes :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,087 ✭✭✭Duiske

I think that is quite a naive thing to say. In war mongering far-right media he will now be referred to as "accused rapist" or some other smear whenever Wikileaks is mentioned.

Thats the problem with accusations like that. A lot of people will think "he got away with it" rather than "he was not guilty of anything".

Thank god, he got away with it. ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I'm edging towards this coming about to try and make Wikileaks more credible and not a CIA front, which I have seen some valid arguments for.

Wikileaks could be a front for anyone. Any intelligence agency in any nation can leak documents to it. That's the nature of wikis.

The Afghan documents were not the sort of things that the US wanted out there. They tried to accuse him of putting lives at risk and have already tried to strong-arm other governments into making his life difficult. They really don't like this guy and in this day and age, sexual allegations against someone are a pretty good way to discredit people. You only need the allegation because the accusation sticks. I hope this gets investigated and those responsible for the smearing get pointed out. I don't mean the two women either. I mean those who are conspiring to assassinate his character.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

Thank god, he got away with it. ;)

Who? The alleged rapist?:pac:

Quite possibly, I'd like to think that most sane people are able to ignore that kind of trash however.

When I said, "what more could they ask for" however I meant that the claims would add fuel to the calls for the release of the documents. Now, surely if someone is prepared to accept the idea that the CIA orchestrated the entire affair in order to discredit him, surely they'd at least consider the fact that it could have been done by the Wikileaks people in order to achieve the goal I suggested?

I wonder will this be the end of it, this dropped charge will probably have little effect on him, but if more women were to come out over the next few months claiming the same thing it wouldn't look to good for him

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭WIZE

I wonder will this be the end of it, this dropped charge will probably have little effect on him, but if more women were to come out over the next few months claiming the same thing it wouldn't look to good for him

You mean the women who would be paid to come out against him

The US Government have probably paid some Hookers to meet him in Bar and stuff . They would have tried to set him up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,976 ✭✭✭✭humanji

In some of the newss outlets it was saying that the charges of rape were dropped but he's still suspected of molestation. So there could be more charges later. It's all a little too conveniently timed. That said, it's possible he could actually be guilty. It'll be interesting to see what happens next.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 6,869 ✭✭✭Mahatma coat

The logical progression of this Dirty tricks Smear campaign
    Has anyone Seen Assange?? heard him Speak???? noticed his Mannerisims??

Dont you find it Odd that he's accused of Molesting a WOMAN :eek:

Actually as I read that back I can already imagine it in Glen Becks voice

Bear in mind that any smear is designed to affect the American public perception of him.

Just sayin like, seems the next natural progression

Came across this last night, quite interesting.

Uploaded July 2010

Wikileaks founder, Julian Assange on TED, interviewed by the founder of TED

The controversial website WikiLeaks collects and posts highly classified documents and video. Founder Julian Assange, who's reportedly being sought for questioning by US authorities, talks to TED's Chris Anderson about how the site operates, what it has accomplished -- and what drives him. The interview includes graphic footage of a recent US airstrike in Baghdad.

TEDTalks is a daily video podcast of the best talks and performances from the TED Conference, where the world's leading thinkers and doers give the talk of their lives in 18 minutes. Featured speakers have included Al Gore on climate change, Philippe Starck on design, Jill Bolte Taylor on observing her own stroke, Nicholas Negroponte on One Laptop per Child, Jane Goodall on chimpanzees, Bill Gates on malaria and mosquitoes, Pattie Maes on the "Sixth Sense" wearable tech, and "Lost" producer JJ Abrams on the allure of mystery. TED stands for Technology, Entertainment, Design, and TEDTalks cover these topics as well as science, business, development and the arts. Closed captions and translated subtitles in a variety of languages are now available on TED.com, at http://www.ted.com/translate. Watch a highlight reel of the Top 10 TEDTalks at http://www.ted.com/index.php/talks/top10

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,696 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

The Pentagon are reported as saying any involvement by them is 'absurd'

http://www.thelocal.se/28516/20100823/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭Dude111

WIZE wrote:
    Sounds like a setup from the American Government
    Indeed it is!!

Wikileaks IS EXPOSING ALL THE BAD STUFF THE USA IS DOING and they (acting like 2yos) are NOT HAPPY!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,537 ✭✭✭thecommander

Dude111 wrote: »
    Indeed it is!!

Wikileaks IS EXPOSING ALL THE BAD STUFF THE USA IS DOING and they (acting like 2yos) are NOT HAPPY!

Did you guess that they're envolved or have you something to go on? If they really wanted to nail him why not have him tried and convicted, rather than dropping them after a few hours? Even have kept it up for a few days, or even weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,247 ✭✭✭stevejazzx

It seems incredibly unlikely that wikileaks is a C.I.A front.
    Their famous colateral damage video is cetainly not something that the C.I.A puts out there about itself, certainly not in this format
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5rXPrfnU3G0&has_verified=1
    You must sign in to watch

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭sealgaire

Yea, the establishment is going after him.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-europe-11151277

the case has been reopened again...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Damn, I guess they just can't go around "disappearing" people anymore.

Funny how they accused one of the founding members of the American Resistance Movement with rape of a minor....with no evidence whatsoever other than the testimony of a bitter ex-girlfriend. I guess rape charges are in this season.

Edit: Charles Dyer, a founding member of that A.R.M., was charged with raping a child (his own daughter I believe) by his ex-girlfriend.

This is Dyer speaking at a tea party meeting. Not exactly what I would consider a child rapist to be honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

demonspawn wrote: »
    Damn, I guess they just can't go around "disappearing" people anymore.

Funny how they accused one of the founding members of the American Resistance Movement

I'm sorry, the, what?
    with rape of a minor....with no evidence whatsoever other than the testimony of a bitter ex-girlfriend. I guess rape charges are in this season.

Yes really because rape convictions have a famously high conviction rate. I wonder why when thats the mentality of potential jurors.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,460 ✭✭✭demonspawn

Di0genes wrote: »
    I'm sorry, the, what?

lol The American Resistance Movement, a loose knit community of former U.S. military and law enforcement dudes that have sworn a civilian oath to uphold the constitution and protect the U.S. from enemies, both foreign and domestic. It's a civilian militia without the Christian fundamentalism, or so I believe. Google is your friend.
    Yes really because rape convictions have a famously high conviction rate. I wonder why when thats the mentality of potential jurors.

Oh let's not go down this road. We all know pretty well that rape charges have been used in the past to get back at former boyfriends. There is also a lot of circumstantial evidence to be considered in a rape case. Men have spent time in prison because of false accusations of rape, so maybe that's why the conviction rate for rape charges are as low as they are. Or maybe some women are just immoral liars willing to put a man behind bars to "teach him a lesson".

I'm in no way saying that all rape cases are false, but some are. I think the entire premise of this thread proves that point quite well.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭Di0genes

demonspawn wrote: »
    lol The American Resistance Movement, a loose knit community of former U.S. military and law enforcement dudes that have sworn a civilian oath to uphold the constitution and protect the U.S. from enemies, both foreign and domestic. It's a civilian militia without the Christian fundamentalism, or so I believe. Google is your friend.

No no no I know what the American Resistance Movement is, a bunch of idiot militia men. Can you show how Assange is a founding member of this group.

Oh let's not go down this road. We all know pretty well that rape charges have been used in the past to get back at former boyfriends. There is also a lot of circumstantial evidence to be considered in a rape case. Men have spent time in prison because of false accusations of rape, so maybe that's why the conviction rate for rape charges are as low as they are. Or maybe some women are just immoral liars willing to put a man behind bars to "teach him a lesson".

Woa, you may not have wanted to "go down this road" but hey here we are.

Women have done so, however, plenty of woman have been raped by ex boyfriends.
    I'm in no way saying that all rape cases are false, but some are. I think the entire premise of this thread proves that point quite well.

Excuse me? How has this thread shown any evidence that the rape charge in this instance is false?

For record, I don't know about Assange's guilt or innocence. But more than enough people seem to be leaping on the band wagon that this is a "set up" despite being equally in the dark about the facts of this case.

Advertisement