Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Staffordshire Bull Terriers ?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 6:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 62 ✭✭

Why Have Staffordshire Bull Terriers Been Giving Such a Bad Name ? There are alot of dogs out there like Jack russels that are way worse :mad:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

Because Of Bad Owners Giving Them A Bad Rap!
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 14,772 ✭✭✭✭Whispered

Oh no.................I can't see this being a thread of happiness and light. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 213 ✭✭wetdogsmell

TaraR wrote: »
    Because Of Bad Owners Giving Them A Bad Rap!
    :rolleyes:

witch owners would these be?????????????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,524 ✭✭✭Zapperzy

All you need to know here: http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055969502 It says rottweilers and pit bulls but it applies to staffies also.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 dustin2

I own a staffordshire bull terrier and i find them to be a very good dog. have him nearly 4 yrs , dont think any dog could ever be like him , great dog to have around the house . :p

Hate the way people say they are a pitbull :(

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 269 ✭✭CL32

Fashion trends among arseholes has a part to play.

When I was growing up in the 80's my dad had a GSD. I was always the kid with the 'Aller' to all the older clowns.

Rotts got it in the 90's. The recent Panorama show in Battersea Dogs home said 36 staffs were picked up in one year in the 80's versus 2000+ this year alone. Fashion and over breeding by clowns is ruining their rep as a people loving family pet.

They are great companions. I'm on my first and can honestly say I'll never be without one.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭TaraR

witch owners would these be?????????????

The Owners Who Have No Respect For The Breed. Who Don't Follow The 'Law'. The Owners Who Think Having A Staffordshire Bull Terrier Makes Them 'Hard' Its Not Just This Breed, Its All The R'B'S on This So Called ''Dangerous Dogs'' List

I Own 3 Staffordshire Bull Terriers And I Wouldnt Change Them For The World. Great Breed. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,483 ✭✭✭User Friendly

Ray Ray wrote: »
    Why Have Staffordshire Bull Terriers Been Giving Such a Bad Name ? There are alot of dogs out there like Jack russels that are way worse :mad:
    i dont know the answer but i do know that my staffy is the most lovable creature i could ever have.My family and i are totally in love with her,she has a wonderful nature and wouldnt swap her for anything.

i agree with you about little jack russells,its like they have a chip on their shoulders about their size(not all of them of course,).:)

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I thought this would be worth posting here:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,942 ✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Ray Ray wrote: »

OP I'm afraid in that one post you have tried to defend one breed from discrimination but are quite happy to hand out your own dose of discrimination to another breed thereby negating your own arguement :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 29,476 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Moved to premoderated forum.

Posts deleted. Next foul post gets its' authour a one month ban.

• Registered Users Posts: 129 ✭✭mantua

I was up at a garage in galway just today and they had lovely brindle staff and it was as quiet as a baby!! i was petting it and it even started to fall asleep he was that quiet!!! Really makes me want to get one but i have an 18 month old boxer and i love him to bits and he is extremely good with other dogs and is just pure playfull and iv never seen him be visious to anyone!!! just wondering would it be a good idea to buy a staff puppy?? i would be keeping them inside alot but would get a good long walk every evening and they would sleep in my room at night!!!
    Please give me feedback as i have my mind set on getting one but i just want to be certain that my boxer won't lose out but gain a buddy aswell!!!!!:)

• Registered Users Posts: 389 ✭✭LisaLee

My OH and I recently adopted a Rottie from a shelter, he's 3 and an absolute dote. Fitting in v well, thank God!:D I have to admit I was a bit taken aback at his size and I'd heard about their bad rep but now that we have one I feel like the media has alot to answer for.:mad:

At the shelter there was a lovely Staffie which was an abuse case, it was very tempting to take him home too, but we were told to take our Rottie home and get him settled first. It really is bad owners that make bad dogs, just don't understand how anyone could abuse an animal.:(

• Registered Users Posts: 514 ✭✭✭Yenwod

I think a lack of knowledge about the breed and then the "bull terrier" part at the end of their name makes a lot of people think "pitbull terrier" and we all know what bad rep they have.

I must say I was one of those ignorant people. I really didnt know what a stafforshire bull terrier was but I would have instantly thought "scary dog" but my mate rescued one from the pound and I have to say she is one of the friendliest dogs Ive ever come across. I have had cats all my life and although I love dogs, I still wouldnt be as used to their reactions/behaviours so would still be a little nervous around some but this staffordshire, not even the tiniest bit of fear. She is an absolute dote of a dog! I am now ashamed of my preconceptions of certain breeds of dogs :(

• Registered Users Posts: 48 johnmaloney88

mantua wrote: »
    I was up at a garage in galway just today and they had lovely brindle staff and it was as quiet as a baby!! i was petting it and it even started to fall asleep he was that quiet!!! Really makes me want to get one but i have an 18 month old boxer and i love him to bits and he is extremely good with other dogs and is just pure playfull and iv never seen him be visious to anyone!!! just wondering would it be a good idea to buy a staff puppy?? i would be keeping them inside alot but would get a good long walk every evening and they would sleep in my room at night!!!
    Please give me feedback as i have my mind set on getting one but i just want to be certain that my boxer won't lose out but gain a buddy aswell!!!!!:)

elite autos?? the john deere dealers? he's a savage(i don't mean vicious) dog! big brute and a complete baby!! the rotty they have too is also a lovely dog!
    you could get a staff pup but possibly wait til your boxer is a bit older so there is a bigger age gap and there be no competition between them and they know who's boss.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,857 ✭✭✭✭Discodog

There is a lot of pressure to regulate/restrict Staffie ownership in the UK. 80% of the Dogs in Birmingham's main rescue are Staffies & Battersea Dog Home are full of them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 steven_B

Its a shame any breed has a bad name...Pitbulls are loving dogs...great with people along with staffies...infact both are known as nanny dogs because of there loyalty to family and there owners. Its bad owners who train,taunt and make these dogs lethal by abusing there natural instinct to please their owners, its not in a bull breed blood to aggressive towards people.

I have a 2 and half year old staffordshire bull terrier and a 15month pitbull, both are great dogs and dont think i will ever leave the bull breed again. they are the softest breed ive come across all they want to do is you!

Advertisement