Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Why do people keep rottweiler and pitbulls?

Options
  • 15-07-2010 12:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭

I see these when I’m walking and often wonder why people buy these.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me, as I can’t see the appeal

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

thats the same as asking why do people keep pmeranians or jackrussels

• Registered Users Posts: 1,308 ✭✭✭Ricardo G

I have a staffie (i know its not a pitbull) and he is a loveable and honest dog, my father had them all his life and swore by there loyalty to their owners. As good and reliable as any dog. There is an element of people that use them to enhance their image which is why they get such a bad reputation these are not dog lovers !! We had a labrador in our family for years when she suddenly decided to turn on a family member, needless to say she is no longer here.

Why do you think people keep these dogs OP?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,991 ✭✭✭Barr

antocann wrote: »
    thats the same as asking why do people keep pmeranians or jackrussels

Not really the same league.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,346 ✭✭✭antocann

owners (responsible)can care for these dogs , its the owners fault if the dog is vicous ,
    there as loyal as any other dog and great dogs,

Treat any dog in a bad way and they all turn out the same !! Obviously if a Pit bull attacks in comparison to a Jack russel than there's a difference but again its the owners responsibility to ensure their dogs are treated well. A dog does'nt decide to be vicious !

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Regional North West Moderators Posts: 6,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cherry Blossom

Barr wrote: »
    I see these when I’m walking and often wonder why people buy these.

Perhaps someone could enlighten me, as I can’t see the appeal

As there aren't many pit bulls in Ireland I suspect what you're seeing are Staffordshire bull terriers which are absolutly great with with kids. My cousin has one, sweetest dog I ever met, the kid's climb all over her and she's just delighted with all the attention.

Dog's like these have a bit of a reputation, but problems occur with the owners more than the dogs. One of my neighbours had 2 rotties and a jack russell and all three dogs escaped on one occasion and it resulted in the death of a horse which worried me a lot having horses myself, all 3 disappeared shortly after the incident. It wasn't a case of bad dogs though, just bad owners.

My own golden labrador was found bleeding on the doorstep one morning having been attacked by a pack of greyhounds, he had over 20 lacerations on his body, 7 of them were in to the bone and his ear was hanging off, he was attacked in his own yard, so I could say why do people keep greyhounds? I don't though - I say why are these people allowed to have dogs? :mad: These people had no sence of responsibility whatsoever, on one occassion I found their 2 and half year old todder wandering around on his own a mile from home with 2 of the dogs!:eek: The greyhounds wern't destroyed after this incident but the people did move shortly afterwards as their house was repossessed, that's karma for you :D

I always thought these dogs were vicious by nature - maybe I'm wrong?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

These breeds aren't vicious by nature, no.

They seem to attract the wrong kinds of owners sometimes though, and can, like almost any other dog, be turned vicious.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,874 ✭✭✭EGAR

My Pit Bull Bogey is so vicious by nature, he smooches you until you beg for mercy.

p944197.jpg

Having owned, rescued and rehomed many Pit Bulls and Rottweiler etc I think you will find that you are a victim of the media.

Perhaps its time you change the papers you read?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 432 ✭✭Kinky Slinky

They look impressive. Security reasons .

• Advertisement

I always thought these dogs were vicious by nature - maybe I'm wrong?

If these dogs were vicious by nature who the hell would want one in fairness? This is where naievity/ignorance enters the equation, people make up there own minds without doing research on the breed of dog. I can understand why when the media blow it out of proportion! How many Jack russel / labrador/ poodle etc attacks are published or aired??

I can assure you I rehome dogs solely as pets and none of the dogs I rehomed are used as security. With my own dogs: you run a bigger risk of being bitten by my old Lurcher than any of my Bull Breeds.

Why are they excluded by every insurance pollicy by the Dangerous Dogs Act if they are so good natured :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

Ignorance, pure and simple.

Why are they excluded by every insurance pollicy by the Dangerous Dogs Act if they are so good natured :confused:

I dont understand !! what do you mean excluded from every insurance policy?

Ricardo G wrote: »
    I dont understand !! what do you mean excluded from every insurance policy?

Read your house policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,187 ✭✭✭✭IvySlayer

That Act is a pile of ****e. Media portrayal - PC Brigade - Bandwagon - PDs getting wind of it - supporting this ****e for votes - Dangerous Dogs Act..

There are no bad dogs, only bad owners.

Because of their affinity for children, Staffordshire Bull Terriers are sometimes known as “Nanny Dogs” in England

coupled with its affection for its friends (and children in particular), its off-duty quietness and trustworthy stability, make it a foremost all-purpose dog

Wikepedia description !!

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

the same reason pot is illegal: the media.

Films like Reefer Madness: not proven science, paved the way for its prohibition.

rottweiler-431x300.jpg

Similarly Pit Bulls have been deomonized in the media for frequently appearing as vicious dogs: however anyone in the breeding world will tell you thats the result of the owner. The Pit Bull (like the Rotweiler) is attractive for is sheer mass and strength as an attack dog. And how do those degenerate owners achieve the result they're looking for? Hit and abuse their dog, until often even they cannot approach the dog without fear of being mauled.

pit%20bull.jpg

Every Pit Bull and Rot I've known have been nothing but loving and friendly though obviously they are very high energy dogs. You'd get tired before they would playing tug of war, but they love it. Otherwise they're just as happy to lick your face. I've met more chihuahua's, poodles, and cats that have a more vicious temperament. Rotts in particular have wonderful personalities in my experience.

rottweiler_head_m.jpg

And unfortunately its for that misconception that they have been labeled a dangerous animal. I've never been fearful of either breed unless the dog in question actually displayed aggression.

Sigh, Ireland DOES NOT HAVE a Dangerous Dogs Act (OP, perhaps you ought to educate yourself before you come barging in here with your prejudices).

Ireland has a Restricted Breeds Act with alot more breeds on it than just the two you mentioned.

As a rescue I have a general insurance which INCLUDES restricted breeds.

So back to the drawing board, OP.

I for one am going to bed now. So much ignorance is tiring :D.

NN.

• Advertisement

EGAR wrote: »
    Sigh, Ireland DOES NOT HAVE a Dangerous Dogs Act (OP, perhaps you ought to educate yourself before you come barging in here with your prejudices).

Ireland has a Restricted Breeds Act with alot more breeds on it than just the two you mentioned.

As a rescue I have a general insurance which INCLUDES restricted breeds.

So back to the drawing board, OP.

I for one am going to bed now. So much ignorance is tiring :D.

NN.

Why do Irish Insurers follow the act so , prehaps its the work of fiction if its not irish?

• Registered Users Posts: 81,674 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Oh be nice, Egar. She's asking, don't be mean.
    Why do Irish Insurers follow the act so , prehaps its the work of fiction?
    I dont pretend to know either way, but, the Irish follow everyone else's lead on everything. "Oh the British are doing it, maybe we should too!" etc. etc.

actually another reason to legislate against the breeds is advocation by law enforcement: drug dealers and other criminals frequently employ attack-trained dogs to defend drug and weapon stashes, and to in some cases specifically target uniformed officers. Legislation against the breed restricts, controls, and monitors who owns them, partial to that purpose.

Overheal wrote: »
    Oh be nice, Egar. She's asking, don't be mean. I dont pretend to know either way, but, the Irish follow everyone else's lead on everything. "Oh the British are doing it, maybe we should too!" etc. etc.

Oh right , that clears things up - thanks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,399 ✭✭✭Bonito

Bad vibes about them because of thugs using them for protection/fighting etc. Why do the use them? Well compared to a "normal" pet dog of a lab or a terrier or corgie or whatever, they're unbelievably strong and have a very high pain threshold before they'll back away. Thugs wont get this from a terrier or a lab.

Aside from this they are as just as loving and loveable as a lab or terrier. Don't judge the dog, judge the owner.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,316 ✭✭✭✭amacachi

Why was divorce illegal here until 1996? Just about any animal will be good natured if raised properly.

amacachi wrote: »
    Why was divorce illegal here until 1996? Just about any animal will be good natured if raised properly.

So ur equating divorce with dangerous dogs:D

So ur equating divorce with dangerous dogs:D
    You're tarring every single rottweiler and pitbull to be dangerous, I don't think you should be allowed to nit pick other people's posts to be perfectly honest.

Are you planning on getting a pit bull or rottie OP??, people have explained to you about the behaviour and traits of these dogs yet i dont think you really want to accept the truth, trying to find fault with the dog rather than the owners !! Your a hard one to make out lol

Bonito wrote: »
    You're tarring every single rottweiler and pitbull to be dangerous, I don't think you should be allowed to nit pick other people's posts to be perfectly honest.

I'm not, just looking for an insight into any owners. Why not buy a King Charles or such if u want affection from a dog.

• Advertisement

I'm not, just looking for an insight into any owners. Why not buy a King Charles or such if u want affection from a dog.
    You can get affection from any dog. Just because a charles looks cute it doesn't mean they can't be vicious little feckers. I know more smaller dogs than big dogs,like staffs, rotts and pitts, that are more aggressive.

Advertisement