Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Submit a show proposal to DCUfm

Options

Comments

There's also an entire society of programmers with plenty of graduates.

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

Games Soc?

Here is the message that has just been posted:

---Quote (Originally by coconutlulz)---
    ---End Quote---
    <3 Games Soc.

:pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Einstein?

There ought to be any girls in Gamesoc, or is that just me??

• Registered Users Posts: 717 ✭✭✭Noodleworm

Einstein? wrote: »
    There ought to be any girls in Gamesoc, or is that just me??
    I'm a girl. and I'm on the committee.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 677 ✭✭✭Feeky Magee

Some variation on this is probably done already, but I was thinking of a relaxed-style sports show where instead of just talking about sport, there is a few questions to be debated per show, for example "Is Theo Walcott England material?", "Can anyone stop Kilkenny?"... there could be a yes and a no side or it could just be a more generalised discussion, and listeners could be encouraged to text in their opinions with the best getting read out.

If the question format is a bad idea, then of course it could just be a general sports show. I'm sure one is already done but another idea could be to do a DCU version of The Football Ramble, a podcast where there's relaxed and sideways look at the week's footballing talking points and various other stuff like a Hall of Fame.

I'd be more than happy to get involved in either of those, I've a fairly in-depth knowledge of sports and will be starting journalism in DCU this September. If neither of those are considered then I'd be happy to get involved with DCUfm in any other capacity, just drop me a line.

Seán.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,642 ✭✭✭andyman

Some variation on this is probably done already, but I was thinking of a relaxed-style sports show where instead of just talking about sport, there is a few questions to be debated per show, for example "Is Theo Walcott England material?", "Can anyone stop Kilkenny?"... there could be a yes and a no side or it could just be a more generalised discussion, and listeners could be encouraged to text in their opinions with the best getting read out.

If the question format is a bad idea, then of course it could just be a general sports show. I'm sure one is already done but another idea could be to do a DCU version of The Football Ramble, a podcast where there's relaxed and sideways look at the week's footballing talking points and various other stuff like a Hall of Fame.

I'd be more than happy to get involved in either of those, I've a fairly in-depth knowledge of sports and will be starting journalism in DCU this September. If neither of those are considered then I'd be happy to get involved with DCUfm in any other capacity, just drop me a line.

Seán.

Funny enough, I was going to say the same thing to the sports editor of the station to see if we could get potentially another show dedicated to this kind of thing.

I brought this up last year amongst the Action Replay crew (albeit towards the end of the year). There's a current affairs show called Newswire where there is plenty of debate. From last year, the crowd involved in Action Replay (one of which was involved with Newswire) were definitely capable of having plenty of debates.

There was segments in some shows where there was debates, but the time slot we had didn't allow for a lot of it. It's a shame really.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26 DCUfm

Angelkat7 wrote: »
    Don't go to companies they will just rip you off. You have an entire course devoted to software engineering. 3rd and 4th years are always looking for ideas for their projects. Why not send out a mail asking if anyone would be interested in creating an iPhone or android app?

Only thing means waiting for a year, but hey, it be free.
    Good idea, thanks. Which classes are the best to ask?
    I'm sure the Sports Editor will be more than happy to have you on his team. This year there will be two hour-long sports shows called Action Replay. The first is on Monday and the second on Thursday, both start at 4pm. On Tuesday and Wednesday there are sport round ups which are 15 minutes long. I'm not sure, but I think your idea fits into the Action Replay shows, if it doesn't, the 4-5pm slot on a Friday is free for exactly that :)
    Can you send me your details and all your areas of expertise, being as specific as you can. My email is manager@dcufm.com, thanks :)

• Registered Users Posts: 534 ✭✭✭Benny Lava

andyman wrote: »
    From last year, the crowd involved in Action Replay (one of which was involved with Newswire) were definitely capable of having plenty of debates.

No they weren't.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,908 ✭✭✭Daysha

Benny Lava wrote: »
    No they weren't.

Are you ever going to bother posting something constructive or are you going to continue with the mindless, petty jibes all the time?

Edit: Thanks for the ideas Feeky. I've sent you a PM there.

• Advertisement

No they weren't.

One of them thought Wayne Rooney was better than Messi, whereas another believed Xavi was more important to Barcelona than Messi, so there was definitely a nice variety in opinion...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16 tvservices

No they weren't.
    Are you serious?? When I see you again I can ****in gaurentee there is going to be a debate!!

There is no need for that type of language, tvservices.

As for petty jibes, well, as a person who often posts in the After Hours forum I think petty jibes are part and parcel of boards.ie and often jibes are far worse than what I post.

Daysha is trying to turn this forum into North Korea.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 54 ✭✭Slobodan Milosevic

Here will yas stop the in-fighting for a while.

Here is the real issue for yas, LISTNER FIGURES

I am led to believe that there are often more people listing within the "studio" itself (with presenters, production, etc) than ever listening on the internet.

That is what yas have to sort out.
    Why would the insiders in the station argue so much about a "radio" station that clearly the majority of DCU students couldn't give a flying ______ about ?

Its college radio, I presume it's never ment to be perfect, but it should definately be fun.

I will confess, on one occasion I went onto the website to listen to a show on DCUfm because I knew a number of presenters. I listened for approx 5 mins as I couldn't insult my ears any further.
    Within that 5 mins, it seemed like most of the presenters were half asleep themselves (never mind the listeners, estimated to range bewteen 2-4 people)

SLOBO
    xxx

As for petty jibes, well, as a person who often posts in the After Hours forum I think petty jibes are part and parcel of boards.ie and often jibes are far worse than what I post.

Stop calling me tvservices Cooke. I amn't a coward hiding behind a name so no one knows me like you are. Daysha is moderator, hes kinda supposed to run it like North Korea.

We might be able to do something about listener figures and help the station more if it wasn't being dragged down from the inside by guy's attitudes like Eoin.

Slobo, you make good points, good work.

''SÉAMUS CONWELL''

tvservices wrote: »
    Stop calling me tvservices Cooke. I amn't a coward hiding behind a name so no one knows me like you are. Daysha is moderator, hes kinda supposed to run it like North Korea.

We might be able to do something about listener figures and help the station more if it wasn't being dragged down from the inside by guy's attitudes like Eoin.

Slobo, you make good points, good work.

''SÉAMUS CONWELL''

I believe referring to someone by a name other than their username is against the rules. Anyway, your second sentence didn't make grammatical sense but I'll assume you were trying to call me a coward for one reason or another. I don't think such claims are doing anything to help DCUfm's cause and I really couldn't be bothered arguing with your kind anymore.

I believe referring to someone by a name other than their username is against the rules. Anyway, your second sentence didn't make grammatical sense but I'll assume you were trying to call me a coward for one reason or another. I don't think such claims are doing anything to help DCUfm's cause and I really couldn't be bothered arguing with your kind anymore.

Good, then get the **** off this thread.

tvservices wrote: »
    Good, then get the **** of this thread.

No need for language you moose.

Nonetheless, I am gone.

Here is the real issue for yas, LISTNER FIGURES...

Its college radio, I presume it's never ment to be perfect, but it should definately be fun.

SLOBO
    xxx

Well thanks there Mr War Crimes. I haven't actually been angry with anyone on this thread till now, and that was because there was no malice in what was said until now. Also, the points raised were welcomed in an open manner. A point which was raised and dealt with in an open manner by us was the station's listenership figures. We clearly posted them!

Now, whatever opinions you may have about DCUfm, I, as I have already said, would be happy to discuss with you. However, the vehemence with which your last post was written makes me think that the betterment of the station does not interest you.

Of course the majority of DCU students will never be interested in the station. Will the majority of students ever go along to a Gamesoc event, or go watch a DCU women's rugby match - not bloody likely. That's absolutely no insult to either of those organisations, no club or society will ever get close to catering to that many people. You can't please everyone, you can't even please a majority for that matter.

Now, to return this thread to the real issue. I'd like to thank everyone who posted their proposals (with good intentions) for your help. Anyone who has an idea for a show on DCUfm this year can email us at info@dcufm.com. Remember, no idea is too weird, this is radio, anything’s possible!

We are open to anyone who is a DCU student, you needn't be from the School of Communications :D If you don't have a show proposal and would just like to get involved then you can also email us and let us know what your areas of interest are. Please be as specific as possible.

He has a point, though. You can't just say "No they weren't" without adding anything more. It's fishing for a reaction, which you got - Congrats.

Here is the real issue for yas, LISTNER FIGURES

I am led to believe that there are often more people listing within the "studio" itself (with presenters, production, etc) than ever listening on the internet.

That is what yas have to sort out.
    Why would the insiders in the station argue so much about a "radio" station that clearly the majority of DCU students couldn't give a flying ______ about ?

I will confess, on one occasion I went onto the website to listen to a show on DCUfm because I knew a number of presenters. I listened for approx 5 mins as I couldn't insult my ears any further.
    Within that 5 mins, it seemed like most of the presenters were half asleep themselves (never mind the listeners, estimated to range bewteen 2-4 people)

SLOBO
    xxx

We don't know the listener figures since we changed servers, though. We can only guess by the amount of texts we get per show. I know the World Cup Special got a lot of attention. However, I said this at the end of last year, it's too repetitive. With Denis' post above it looks like we do have more time and more shows this year and this is nothing but a good thing. I'd love to see more debate implimented. That is the difference between Newswire and Action Replay, in my honest opinion.

• Advertisement

DCUfm wrote: »
    Well thanks there Mr War Crimes. I haven't actually been angry with anyone on this thread till now, and that was because there was no malice in what was said, also the points raised were welcomed in an open manner. A point which was raised and dealt with in an open manner by us was the station's listenership figures. We clearly posted them!

Now, whatever opinions you may have about DCUfm, I, as I have already said, would be happy to discuss with you. However, the vehemence with which your last post was written makes me think that the betterment of the station does not interest you.

Of course the majority of DCU students will never be interested in the station. Will the majority of students ever go along to a Gamesoc event, or go watch a DCU women's rugby match - not bloody likely. That's absolutely no insult to either of those organisations, no club or society will ever get close to catering to that many people. You can't please everyone, you can't even please a majority for that matter.

Now, to return this thread to the real issue. I'd like to thank everyone who posted their proposals (with good intentions) for your help. Anyone who has an idea for a show on DCUfm this year can email us at info@dcufm.com. Remember, no idea is too weird, this is radio, anything’s possible!

We are open to anyone who is a DCU student, you needn't be from the School of Communications :D If you don't have a show proposal and would just like to get involved then you can also email us and let us know what your areas of interest are. Please be as specific as possible.

I don't see how you could have such an issue with my post.
    The points I made were accepted by another user and are well-known among every one who listenened to a conversation about DCUfm.

Previously I had purposed ideas for new shows. The ideas were well-recieved by a few users but not yourself. You didn't even acknowledge the ideas I put forward, which is alarming seeing that others had showed support for them.

Anyways, am not here for an argument. Although I didn't mind reading the one that un-folded :cool:

SLOBO
    xxx

I don't see how you could have such an issue with my post.
    The points I made were accepted by another user and are well-known among every one who listenened to a conversation about DCUfm.

Previously I had purposed ideas for new shows. The ideas were well-recieved by a few users but not yourself. You didn't even acknowledge the ideas I put forward, which is alarming seeing that others had showed support for them.

Anyways, am not here for an argument. Although I didn't mind reading the one that un-folded :cool:

SLOBO
    xxx

Are you saying that you decided to take a jibe at the station because I didn't acknowledge your posts? I never intended to ignore them. Actually I was quite impressed with one of them and it'll be implemented next semester. Thanks for that, and that's said sincerely. But please don't take the thread off topic. The issue you raised had already been raised and dealt with.

Now, as for what you said being true, it's not. Those types of conversations will always be had. I can't control that. But, what I can do is make our listenership figures public. That has been done both on here and in an edition of the College View last semester. Those figures are reliable and show an average listenership of over 200 people a day. That's not setting the world alight, I'll grant you. But it is a solid foundation, a foundation we didn't have last year when the sort of listenership figures you talk about were a reality. The station is improving and thanks to ideas like your own it will hopefully improve even more this year.

I really hate to have to keep doing this, but threads about DCUfm always tend to go a little off topic :)

Anyone who has an idea for a show on DCUfm this year can email us at info@dcufm.com. Remember, no idea is too weird, this is radio, anything’s possible!

We are open to anyone who is a DCU student, you needn't be from the School of Communications If you don't have a show proposal and would just like to get involved then you can also email us and let us know what your areas of interest are. Please be as specific as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,894 ✭✭✭✭phantom_lord

andyman wrote: »
    We don't know the listener figures since we changed servers, though. We can only guess by the amount of texts we get per show.
    Our most listened to show was the April 7th edition of Phinx Firemix, which had 1,100 listeners over the three hour period. That show also received over 300 texts in the same time.

:confused: Is that not an incredibly inaccurate measure? Surely the format of the show is going to have more of an impact of the number of texts than the actual number of listeners?

Are you saying that you decided to take a jibe at the station because I didn't acknowledge your posts? I never intended to ignore them. Actually I was quite impressed with one of them and it'll be implemented next semester. Thanks for that, and that's said sincerely. But please don't take the thread off topic. The issue you raised had already been raised and dealt with.

Now, as for what you said being true, it's not. Those types of conversations will always be had. I can't control that. But, what I can do is make our listenership figures public. That has been done both on here and in an edition of the College View last semester. Those figures are reliable and show an average listenership of over 200 people a day. That's not setting the world alight, I'll grant you. But it is a solid foundation, a foundation we didn't have last year when the sort of listenership figures you talk about were a reality. The station is improving and thanks to ideas like your own it will hopefully improve even more this year.

First of all, I wouldn't consider my post as a "jibe at the station" and it was nothing to do with your failure to acknowledge my idea.
    The reason I posted the comments (which you have made such an issue of) is simple. I saw a huge debate happening bewteen 3/4 users who are within the station.
    My post was ment to deflate the debate, as it was a very small issue in terms of the station. I painted the bigger picture, the problem was it may have been off-topic, which I apologise for.

Maybe the figures had being published, but I hadn't seen them. I acknolwedge that is entirely my fault. Where are the figures here? are they on this thread, because I haven't seen them.
    I wouldn't use the "College View" to wipe my back-side with, so I definately don't have a copy of the relevant issue.

You say 200 people per day, I would doubt that figure.
    At a guess, i'd say most of them are internal people from the station listining back to their programme or other programmes.
    Also is that 200 seperate people listening or 200 hits where it could be the same people going on 4/5 times?

Finally, i'd like to add that I personally couldn't give a feck about DCUfm.
    I only offered my suggestions because you publically asked for them. It wouldn't worry me if you played recordings of arabic radio stations all day, beacuse am not going to listen anyway.

SLOBO
    xxx

:confused: Is that not an incredibly inaccurate measure? Surely the format of the show is going to have more of an impact of the number of texts than the actual number of listeners?

I was talking about the show I was involved in...

We only use text messages as a rough guide to listenership figures when we don't have the figures from HEAnet. It is incredibly inaccurate and does very much depend on the format of the show.
    However, the figures from HEAnet are very accurate and give us the exact number of listeners. We get an update every two months.

Maybe the figures had being published, but I hadn't seen them. I acknolwedge that is entirely my fault. Where are the figures here? are they on this thread, because I haven't seen them...

You say 200 people per day, I would doubt that figure.
    At a guess, i'd say most of them are internal people from the station listining back to their programme or other programmes.
    Also is that 200 seperate people listening or 200 hits where it could be the same people going on 4/5 times?

SLOBO
    xxx

The listener figures were given a few pages back.

We have an average of 200 unique visitors per day. That's according to the HEAnet statistics.
    It wouldn't worry me if you played recordings of arabic radio stations all day...

That's a pity, that show's in development as we speak. I think it's gonna be a real winner :D

Now to put this thread back on topic again:

Anyone who has an idea for a show on DCUfm this year can email us at info@dcufm.com. Remember, no idea is too weird, this is radio, anything’s possible!

We are open to anyone who is a DCU student, you needn't be from the School of Communications If you don't have a show proposal and would just like to get involved then you can also email us and let us know what your areas of interest are. Please be as specific as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭Landa2

Im sorry to keep poking a dead horse here but im sorry you keep saying this figure of 200 unique a day.. HEANet is quite a large hosting provider and i dont doubt their figures.. what i do doubt though is DCUFm's ability to interpret the figures.. When the station was hosted on rb your numbers were absolutly abismal, these numbers were taken from the stream's control panel..

You have a figure relating to hits on your site.. running websites myself, on my own servers, i can tell you i get about 150 "unique" visitors located in regions like Russia and North Korea, these hits are all BOTS..

If a bot accesses your stream Google Analytics will count it as a hit.. But remember this is not someone listening to your stream.. I am not interested in how many hits you have.. i and im sure everyone else that has asked this is looking for actual listeners..

Hopefully that bit of information will clear up these numbers a little..

• Registered Users Posts: 310 ✭✭public_enemy

I think abysmal is a little harsh, it's a small enough college and just having numbers for each user accessing the stream might be inaccurate too. If one person is connected, there could be five other people in the room listening. 200 is probably inaccurate, but I think it's hard to gauge exactly what a small or big listenership is for a college radio station without comparing it to other colleges, relative to their sizes, equipment, budget and all that...

Oh and on the subject of listener interaction, has anyone thought of embedding some sort of simple chat client into the website? Obviously it wouldn't be as good as phone chat, but it could be a neat way of getting listeners involved and probably wouldn't take much effort to maintain.

• Advertisement

Landa2 wrote: »
    Im sorry to keep poking a dead horse here but im sorry you keep saying this figure of 200 unique a day.. HEANet is quite a large hosting provider and i dont doubt their figures.. what i do doubt though is DCUFm's ability to interpret the figures.. When the station was hosted on rb your numbers were absolutly abismal, these numbers were taken from the stream's control panel..

You have a figure relating to hits on your site.. running websites myself, on my own servers, i can tell you i get about 150 "unique" visitors located in regions like Russia and North Korea, these hits are all BOTS..

If a bot accesses your stream Google Analytics will count it as a hit.. But remember this is not someone listening to your stream.. I am not interested in how many hits you have.. i and im sure everyone else that has asked this is looking for actual listeners..

Hopefully that bit of information will clear up these numbers a little..

I'm not sure what other information you want. I can interpret statistics as well as anyone else. The visitor numbers are for the stream, not the website. The website got 120,000 hits for the three month period between February and April this year.
    On top of that over 93% of our listeners came from Ireland, the majority of the rest were UK and America. Thanks for your interest, though.

Advertisement