Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would you like to be a moderator? (just a question not an invite)

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,109 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

It has its good points alright. Hopefully you get to help a forum, rather than hinder it. 99% of people are grand too. Same goes for fellow mods. It can also be a thankless task at times too though, but the rest of the time makes up for it. Don't think its all that its cracked up to be either, not unless you have some need for powah(which the majority dont BTW) Plus your efforts often go unappreciated, by users and higher ups. Goes double for somewhere like AH with the traffic. Hats off to the mods here I have to say. Knowing what the behind the scenes on a busy forum can be like, people dont realise how much actual effort and keyboard time can be involved. Reading all the threads, checking up on reported posts, steering threads away from dodgy areas, never mind the infraction/banning stuff and the hassle that can bring and then posting themselves.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Most of the posts in this thread have been deleted.

Any further references to necrophilia involving recently deceased celebrities will result in bans.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,094 ✭✭✭✭javaboy

Any further references to necrophilia involving recently deceased celebrities will result in bans.

What about freedom of speech?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Don't think I would, no
    Duno though
    *wields giant banhammer*
    hm...

• Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 26,928 Mod ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

Let me go away and have a think about that for a while...

• Advertisement

javaboy wrote: »
    What about freedom of speech?

I don't think the dead celebrities will have much to say, although the booming medium industry might prove me wrong on that one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

So this thread went from asking if one wanted to be a mod to discussing celebnecrophilia? Sorry I missed that. :)

In answer to the question; no. Don't think I would be able to spend enough time on it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 852 ✭✭✭moonpurple

I could never become a mod, the urge to harass posters would be too great

• Registered Users Posts: 5,725 ✭✭✭pappyodaniel

funk-you wrote: »
    God no.

-Funk

If I was a mod :rolleyes: I'd ban people for signing out with their usernames

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Hmmm

When I joined up I mostly used to post on PI/RI. I used to think I'd like to mod it, but after a while even I found being a regular contributor to require a lot of commiment and it became too much and people rarely if ever listned to you, so then I changed my mind. I think modding PI/RI would require alot of commitment cause some serious stuff comes up and you ahv eto be very measured and cautious. So no, not for me I think.

As to AH....hahahahahahah never!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,659 ✭✭✭CrazyRabbit

Been there, done that...just not on this website. At one point, I even ran my own forum, but it only got about 120 posters, and I was too lazy to keep it going. It died a slow death.

So this thread went from asking if one wanted to be a mod to discussing celebnecrophilia? Sorry I missed that. :)

I have deleted almost everything you have said. Any further insinuations that Jedward have kidnapped Larry Murphy will result in a ban.

If I was a mod :rolleyes: I'd ban people for signing out with their usernames

You might struggle to ban one particular user I can think of.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

ah sure why not

• Registered Users Posts: 11,913 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Sure couldn't do a worse job than 1 or 2 AH mods are doing at the moment, power trips and all that.

Smaller forums would be ok

• Closed Accounts Posts: 734 ✭✭✭astra2000

scudzilla wrote: »
    Sure couldn't do a worse job than 1 or 2 AH mods are doing at the moment, power trips and all that.

Smaller forums would be ok

I wonder do comments like that (and this) put a target on your back?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

No. I've seen too many ex-Boards moderators in psychiatric hospitals.

astra2000 wrote: »
    I wonder do comments like that (and this) put a target on your back?!

Nah not at all. We don't hold personal grudges. Sure I'm barely even writing your names down at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 30,113 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

hell no but I have been known to change my mind

javaboy wrote: »
    Nah not at all. We don't hold personal grudges. Sure I'm barely even writing your names down at all.

U need to write them down ?
    Surely the Harass-Bot takes care of those things ?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,727 ✭✭✭reallyrose

From my understanding of moddery.

Don't ask to be a mod, They will ask you.
    If you ask to be a mod, you will be forever blacklisted from moddering.

*ahem*

Dear boards.ie

I would be a great mod. I wanna be a mod. Make me a mod nao please.

~reallyrose

/me awaits mod status with complimentary badge.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

Saibh wrote: »
    You want the job then...

Hell no, no amount of coke and strippers could persuad me to mod on AH (i may be available for other forums though if the relavent admin is reading ;))

I have deleted almost everything you have said. Any further insinuations that Jedward have kidnapped Larry Murphy will result in a ban.

Banned. For trying to get thanks using the same trick twice.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

Banned.
    Reinstated.

Banned. For trying to get thanks using the same trick twice.

Permabanned for Back seat Modding.

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

I'd try it for myself aye, although there are always good and bad things about the job but you wont really know unless you've done it more than likely. I'd never even considered that question up until now, even though I'm over 9 years on Boards.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,080 ✭✭✭sheesh

yes but more out of morbid curiosity

• Registered Users Posts: 11,554 ✭✭✭✭alwaysadub

I'd try it for myself aye, although there are always good and bad things about the job but you wont really know unless you've done it more than likely. I'd never even considered that question up until now, even though I'm over 9 years on Boards.

Sure they would've asked you by now! :pac:

I kid honest!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21,191 ✭✭✭✭Latchy

Not a criticism , just an observation but you must or may hold the record for longest poster with lowest post count .

As for myself ? Maybe

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

alwaysadub wrote: »
    Sure they would've asked you by now! :pac:

I kid honest!
    :pac: Doesnt bother me in the slightest :)
    Latchy wrote: »
    Not a criticism , just an observation but you must or may hold the record for longest poster with lowest post count .

As for myself ? Maybe
    There'd be a few posters around with lower postcount that I've noticed that would be here longer than I...I just dont spam and took a few years break anyway :)

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,449 ✭✭✭SuperInfinity

Thank you, it's nice to have a bit of sanity and respect around here.

There is no evidence whatsoever to support any of the allegations that Jedward have kidnapped Larry Murphy. All of those claims are just pure conjecture at this point and deserve to be treated as such, the lads are entitled to assumption of innocence until proven guilty.

Advertisement