Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Maynooth Line Level Crossings

• 20-08-2010 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 37

Ive heard a rumor through the grapevine that Construction tenders have been issued for the removal of the level crossings on the Maynooth Line by Irish Rail.

Can anybody back this up or upload drawings etc. There is nothing on their website, surprise surprise!

The level crossings include,
    Ratoath Rd
    Ashtown
    Coolmine
    Clonsilla X 2
    and Westmanstown.

Ide be very interested to see how the will work.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

coolmangg wrote: »
    Ive heard a rumor through the grapevine that Construction tenders have been issued for the removal of the level crossings on the Maynooth Line by Irish Rail.

Can anybody back this up or upload drawings etc. There is nothing on their website, surprise surprise!

The level crossings include,
    Ratoath Rd
    Ashtown
    Coolmine
    Clonsilla X 2
    and Westmanstown.

Ide be very interested to see how the will work.

You wonder if this is tied in with the electification of the line which is suppose to happen along with the interconnector. It would make sense, after all it's a pity they didn't remove the level crossings on the line to Dún Laoghaire

• Registered Users Posts: 4,316 ✭✭✭KC61

No tender on the etenders website.

There are plans to eliminate some level crossings on the Maynooth line as part of the city centre resignalling project, but I know that there were local objections to the proposed bridge at the Ratoath Road (Reillys crossing).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

The fact that there are manned level crossings on that line is rediculous. I used to cross one of them reasonably regularly.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,309 ✭✭✭dowlingm

dubhthach wrote: »
    it's a pity they didn't remove the level crossings on the line to Dún Laoghaire
    While a worthy suggestion, that would be a very tricky project to put it mildly, both on a technical level, for the disruption to the DART and the likelihood of m' learned friends being called on by the locals. It would probably cost half the Interconnector by the end of it!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,284 ✭✭✭dubhthach

dowlingm wrote: »
    While a worthy suggestion, that would be a very tricky project to put it mildly, both on a technical level, for the disruption to the DART and the likelihood of m' learned friends being called on by the locals. It would probably cost half the Interconnector by the end of it!

At the moment yes, but I was referring in past tense when they were actually carrying out the electrification back in early 80's. As for the locals well as a blow-in living in Sandymount I can understand their point. The one thing all those level crossings do is hugely reduce the traffic flow through Sandymount which make it an even better place to live.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 25,234 ✭✭✭✭Sponge Bob

They have announced they are going to auction off 82 carriages from the 1980s stock known as MK3 stock , they must have smashed up the other 50 of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,698 ✭✭✭D'Peoples Voice

Sponge Bob wrote: »
    They have announced they are going to auction off 82 carriages from the 1980s stock known as MK3 stock , they must have smashed up the other 50 of them.

from that link Sponge Bob,
    either that website is not kept up to date
    or Irish Rail are still waiting on more railcars at a time of cutbacks:eek:

As of January '07, seven sets now operate the Dublin-Cork route on an enhanced hourly clockface timetable. The existing Mark 3 carriages have replaced the older (and tired looking) Mark 2 carriages that previously operated mid-day Limerick, Galway and Waterford routes. The Mark 3s will be in turn be superseded by the new batch of 183 Class 22000 by 2008. The first batch of these have been delivered in early March '07.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,098 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

from that link Sponge Bob,
    either that website is not kept up to date
    or Irish Rail are still waiting on more railcars at a time of cutbacks:eek:

There are futher 22000s to come, both the replacements for the ones that rusted on the way from Korea and more after that.

I can only assume the intent is to release 29000s from their remaining Sligo duties and take 29000 and 2800s off long-distance commuter usage. The WRC is also going to get some.

No idea whats going to happen to the excess older ones after that, the Dunboyne services are going to push the availabilty of units even further so it could be cover for that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,032 ✭✭✭DWCommuter

The upgrading of level crossings and the electrification of the line has been suspended as of April 7th 2009.
    Budget Cuts On 7 April the Government announced a series of cuts in funding for public transport due to the worsening economic situation. These included:
    · Preparatory work for the electrification, upgrade and re-signalling of the Dublin-Maynooth line.
    · Preparatory work on upgrade of the Cherry Orchard-Inchicore line
    · Construction of a new station at Kilbarry in the Cork-Mallow section
    · Implementation of the railway safety programme
    · Upgrade works on Luas power lines
    · Planning on the Metro West line
    · A reduction by €5m to €20m in the programme to improve accessibility for disabled persons to public transport
    · €3m of spending on an integrated ticketing project was deferred until 2010.
    A reduction of €10m in public transport service payments to CIÉ. The Minister for Transport said this could be compensated for by selling off property.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

DWCommuter wrote: »
    The upgrading of level crossings and the electrification of the line has been suspended as of April 7th 2009.

Does that mean that even if the interconnector is built there will be no work on sorting the stretch of two track just beyond Inchicore and no electrification to Maynooth?

DW - where did you get that info?

• Advertisement

Does that mean that even if the interconnector is built there will be no work on sorting the stretch of two track just beyond Inchicore and no electrification to Maynooth?

DW - where did you get that info?

Its in the June 2009 issue of the IRRS journal and based on the €150million reduction in capital provision for public transport in the supplementary budget. So yes it looks like the DART tunnel is still getting funds for planning and design, but the assocoated works aren't. Its seems strange alright.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 76 ✭✭ilovegermany

Its in the June 2009 issue of the IRRS journal and based on the €150million reduction in capital provision for public transport in the supplementary budget.

Thanks DW.

I didnt realise the cuts were as specific as that.
    How can a "2 Line Dart" function properly when the Maynooth line won't be properly upgraded.

Only in Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 1,132 ✭✭✭Stonewolf

Its in the June 2009 issue of the IRRS journal and based on the €150million reduction in capital provision for public transport in the supplementary budget. So yes it looks like the DART tunnel is still getting funds for planning and design, but the assocoated works aren't. Its seems strange alright.

That's completely and utterly ludicrous, which in this country means it's probably true.

The only other reference to it is in the "Renewed programme for Government" dated October 10th 2009.
    The ruling Fianna Fáil and Green parties agreed a ‘Renewed Programme for Government’ on 10 October. It notes:
    On transport: ‘Having successfully focused on the delivery of major roads infrastructure in Transport 21 over the past five years, the emphasis in new projects will shift significantly to public transport. Following the completion of payments for the major motorways programme in 2011, the ratio of expenditure on new Transport 21 projects between public transport and the national roads programme will be 2:1 in favour of public transport.’
    On rail: ‘Work will continue on the subsequent phases of the Western Rail Corridor and Navan projects for earliest possible delivery’.
    On LUAS: ‘... Planning and design will continue on Metro West and the Bray, Lucan and Cross-city LUAS lines with a view to earliest possible delivery’.
    ‘We will fast track and prioritise the DART interconnector (and its associated electrification and rolling stock projects) and Metro North so that they are completed by 2016’.
    On cycling: ‘We will reverse the CIÉ policy of excluding and limiting bicycle carrying capacity on interurban trains and buses and ensure all new train units have a more extensive bicycle carrying capacity’. ‘We will pursue the possibility of using former railway infrastructure as recreational trails for cycling, etc. in partnership with IÉ.’
    Other items noted were: ‘We will introduce an allowance per tonne for rail freight by rail in line with climate change objectives’.
    ‘[We will] conduct a feasibility study on how a future high-speed rail system could link Dublin and Belfast to the emerging UK and European high speed rail network’.

Furthermore, CIE had a 9% cut to their funding in the 2010 budget on top of the 10% cut in the supplementary budget of April 2009.

Of course it was also mentioned briefly in the recent revised infrastructure budget 2010-2016. But as things stand right now, it appears no money is available to plan the upgrade of the Maynooth line.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Isn't the Maynooth line up to Clonsilla included in the city centre resignalling work that's currently underway?

It would appear not - it seems only to be covering the DART line:

http://www.irishrail.ie/projects/city_centre_resignalling.asp

This is what I see post interconnector the things are going:
    Malahide-Hazelhatch: DART
    Maynooth-Bray: diesel
    Connolly-Greystones: low frequency service run by any DART stock not cleared for the tunnel to eke out the investment in overhead and transformers.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 coolmangg

That is pretty disappointing. How will places like Clonsilla, Coolmine work now. With the Dunboyne trains on the line too the gates will be closed for seriously long times.
    And by the looks of things it will be the case for many years to come.
    Also note that the Dunboyne Trains wont stop in Drumcondra during weekdays. Why couldn't IR align the Docklands station so that it could accept trains from either line running below Conolly Station.
    So frustrating.

Connolly-Greystones: low frequency service run by any DART stock not cleared for the tunnel to eke out the investment in overhead and transformers.

I think that you are being seriously pessimistic with that outlook.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

I think it would be a serious blunder on ies side if they were to reduce capacity or even de-electrify Connolly bray in favour of hazelhatch

• Registered Users Posts: 4,784 ✭✭✭thomasj

From transport 21
    . Projected Completion Date 2015 (subject to the relevant statutory process and the procurement and contract award processes, the start and completion dates of projects which have not yet commenced, including the Electrification of and provision of Rolling Stock on the Dublin Suburban Network, will also be determined by the funding allocation available during the current difficult economic climate).
    Current Status of Project The issue is being examined in the context of developing plans for the DART Underground, although the possibility of carrying out some preparatory work will be explored when the Kildare Route Project is being developed. Approval has been granted for intial scoping of the works involved on the Maynooth line and this is currently underway.

KC61 wrote: »
    I think that you are being seriously pessimistic with that outlook.
    That may well be, but better to expect the worst. Unless Ireland does an Iceland and revolts against the bailout of Anglo, deferring the electrification of Maynooth and the acquisition of the necessary EMUs will be seen as an easy cut out of the many required over the next 10-15 years, especially if Interconnector goes overbudget.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,419 ✭✭✭Cool Mo D

Definitely will not happen.

If the interconnector is built, worst case scenario is Kildare commuter operate as now, DART will run Malahide/Howth to Inchicore, and Bray-Greystones to Connolly. Maynooth trains as now.

I would say that electrification of Connolly Maynooth is more likely than Heuston Hazelhatch, if both do not happen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,102 ✭✭✭Stinicker

Does anyone know who I can complain to about level crossing or who even has authority over them? The level crossing on the main Killarney - Cork road N22 has subsided and driving over it at speed (>110km) is now a practical death trap waiting to happen, I came down the straight last week (only doing about 105km) and went over it and the car was almost launched into the air and I could have easily lost control.

A few trips over it and you will soon be needing a new front suspension and springs. There was a bit in the Kerryman recently about it but nothing has been done about it nor does it look like they are even bothered.

Stinicker wrote: »
    The level crossing on the main Killarney - Cork road N22 has subsided and driving over it at speed (>110km) is now a practical death trap waiting to happen
    What's the speed limit at the point? Surely it's <=100km/h, although it's several years since I was down that stretch? That said, it sounds pretty bad.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,919 Mod ✭✭✭✭spacetweek

thomasj wrote: »
    I think it would be a serious blunder on ies side if they were to reduce capacity or even de-electrify Connolly bray in favour of hazelhatch
    What are you on about? It would actually be more expensive to do that than to leave it as-is.
    I don't know why you think it's strange, you seem to be convinced it won't happen for some time now.

Budget cut in 2009/2010 != project curtailed. So long as it's ready for 2016 we're still set.

Stinicker wrote: »
    Does anyone know who I can complain to about level crossing or who even has authority over them? The level crossing on the main Killarney - Cork road N22 has subsided and driving over it at speed (>110km) is now a practical death trap waiting to happen, I came down the straight last week (only doing about 105km) and went over it and the car was almost launched into the air and I could have easily lost control.

A few trips over it and you will soon be needing a new front suspension and springs. There was a bit in the Kerryman recently about it but nothing has been done about it nor does it look like they are even bothered.

http://www.irishrail.ie/about_us/our_infrastructure.asp#levelcrossing

Contact the Divisional Engineers office at Limerick Junction Tel: 062 51083

• Registered Users Posts: 581 ✭✭✭Transportuser09

To be honest I can't envisage a situation where any of the existing electrified network is de-wired. If something was to be cut, the Maynooth line scheme seems the most practial to leave diesel operated. As long as the interconnector goes ahead it would be madness not to continue as planned to Hazelhatch, whereas the Maynooth scheme is less symbiotic to the interconnector plan. If the Dart is not going to Hazelhatch then there would be little point running the Interconnector to Inchicore; if they weren't going to run a through Dart service to Hazelhatch then they would terminate the route at Heuston and avoid tunneling to Inchicore at all.

There's no way the existing Dart line will have it's wires taken down, as spacetweek says it would probably be more expensive to do this anyway.

• Advertisement

spacetweek wrote: »
    What are you on about? It would actually be more expensive to do that than to leave it as-is.

I don't know why you think it's strange, you seem to be convinced it won't happen for some time now.

Budget cut in 2009/2010 != project curtailed. So long as it's ready for 2016 we're still set.

The fact that I think its strange (and it is) is one of the reasons Im "convinced it won't happen". Postponing the preparation of the Maynooth line for electrification when the absolute relevence and success of the Interconnector depends on it, does not auger well. Keeping the "tunnel aspect" in the news, while cutting spending on the other incremental parts of the overall project is, in my opinion, alarming.

Advertisement