Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What does being Irish mean to you?

Options
  • 20-08-2010 6:22am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 325 ✭✭

Im curious to see what kind of responses i get to this...
    Tagged:

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Me too. I'm also curious as to what you think.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

Nothing cos i'm Welsh

• Registered Users Posts: 3,038 ✭✭✭sponsoredwalk

"Cosmopolitanism can be traced back to the founding father of the
    Cynic movement in Ancient Greece, Diogenes of Sinope (c. 412 B.C.).
    Of Diogenes it is said: "Asked where he came from, he answered:
    'I am a citizen of the world (kosmopolitês)'"."

"Nationalism is an infantile disease. It is the measles of mankind."
    - Albert Einstein

"Nationalism is our form of incest, is our idolatry, is our insanity. "Patriotism" is its cult.
    It should hardly be necessary to say, that by "patriotism” I mean that attitude which puts the own nation above humanity,
    above the principles of truth and justice; not the loving interest in one’s own nation,
    which is the concern with the nation’s spiritual as much as with its material welfare — never with its power over other nations.
    Just as love for one individual which excludes the love for others is not love,
    love for one’s country which is not part of one’s love for humanity is not love, but idolatrous worship. "
    - Erich Fromm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,920 ✭✭✭Einhard

It means I was born in the Republic of Ireland.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,917 ✭✭✭✭scudzilla

hello932 wrote: »

At 6 o'clock on a Friday Morning, you'll get responses all right

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,861 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It means people, i.e. hot females, over here love my accent.

But by jaysus, if anyone else has a good accent....

/shakes fist begrudgingly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,588 ✭✭✭derfderf

It means i burn the sh1t out of my food when i cook it.

The accent. It's shocking how far it goes :eek: Always thought people were exagerating.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,160 ✭✭✭Kimono-Girl

ok my honest response:
    being Irish means to me personally, that i am fluent in the Irish Language because i'm Irish and my daughter is being raised bilingual because she is Irish, Gaelige agus Bearla...I love living in Ireland because despite its problems, its home, and nothing can replace that.

my after hours response:

I like being Irish its not something you can be born into! ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭PaddyBomb

Feels like there has to be one "Irish" thread every single day.

This is the one for today. No more untill tomorow :-)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26,061 ✭✭✭✭Terry

It means I'm guilty.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Politics Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 81,309 CMod ✭✭✭✭coffee_cake

Reactions from people on the continent switching to friendly.

It means that I like drinking, don't exercise, like to begrudge and am generally good craic.
    I also like to buy and sell houses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I like being Irish its not something you can be born into! ;)

It... isn't...?

Mad for drink and proud of it!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

It means that I have a ginger beard :o

• Registered Users Posts: 6,382 ✭✭✭Motley Crue

It means that while I'm proud to be from a country that has such a rich and diverse cultural history - when you consider the poets, musicians and performers that have come from this country given its small population - and I'm proud to be from a country that pretty much rules the comedy scene worldwide (again, per head of population, we have an immense amount of talented and internationally recognized comedians).

I'm also proud to be from a country where the Republic of Ireland finally managed to beat at least one International side, 3-0, in May - even if it was only Algeria. The English couldn't beat them, they couldn't even score against them

I'm proud to come from a country which had the highest rate of unemployment in Europe in 1987....you couldn't get a job, if you went to look for one

I'm also glad that our culture has such a significant impact on the cultures of others around the globe - everywhere you go, you'll find the Irish (or at least an Irish Bar showing GAA matches) - hell, even IDW want to create an IRISH TRANSFORMER!

http://forum.idwpublishing.com/viewtopic.php?p=124576&sid=7d16934d7889df8d9edd5d1a1f0ae7bf

Ireland is the 3rd largest Island in the world (even if it is shaped like a teddy bear), that's what it means to me

It means when I go abroad my accent is my business class ticket to vaginatown :)

Seriously,it is!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,838 ✭✭✭✭3hn2givr7mx1sc

"It means I'm not feckin' English!!!!"

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 525 ✭✭✭Copper23

I don't get the question.

I was born in Ireland, raised, learning Irish language and history, lived as an Irish citizen...

Pretty standard. Whats the point?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,784 ✭✭✭Superbus

Copper23 wrote: »
    I don't get the question.

I was born in Ireland, raised, learning Irish language and history, lived as an Irish citizen...

Pretty standard. Whats the point?

What's the point of anything anymore?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,290 ✭✭✭mickydoomsux

Being Irish means nothing to me. I was just born here, it doesn't mean anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,243 ✭✭✭✭Jesus Wept

Einhard wrote: »
    It means I was born in the Republic of Ireland.

This.
    That is all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

Ireland is the 3rd largest Island in the world (even if it is shaped like a teddy bear), that's what it means to me

Third-largest in Europe, twentieth-largest in the world.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,598 ✭✭✭✭prinz

I'm also proud to be from a country where the Republic of Ireland finally managed to beat at least one International side, 3-0, in May - even if it was only Algeria...

We've beaten international sides 3 (and more) -0 before. :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Third-largest in Europe, twentieth-largest in the world.
    I was thinking Motley Crue was a bit off...!

• Registered Users Posts: 235 ✭✭everyday taxi

Nothing. This is a kip of a country. I hate it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,072 ✭✭✭PeterIanStaker

hello932 wrote: »

It means we all hate ourselves and are ashamed of our very existence and wish we were different or dead. We pray to Saint Joe de Duffy for a miserable existence.

Also, some of us have quite a morbid and cynical sense of humour.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,342 ✭✭✭✭starlit

We can take a joke, good sense of humour at the ready, like to have fun! We drink and party hard and don't give a care in the world!

The irish language is beautiful yet hard to learn and speak fluently!

We have some history to look back on.

Great scenary and greenery.

We got Guinness!

GAA.

Being irish means to me is actually being of an Irish Nationality through and through.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,689 ✭✭✭Kasabian

I used to take pride in being Irish. Travelling to different countries I wore my Irishness like a badge of honour.
    Now post recession I am ashamed and disappointed as we the ordainary Irish continue to lay down infront of the people who have brought this country to it's knees with their lies and deceit while they orchestrate their next wealth grab.

Advertisement