Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Advice for incoming 6th years?

Options
2»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 aoife005

What course is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 104 ✭✭tomtom101

Architecture!! :D:D Im lucky enough because my parents will pay it for me!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ClodaghJoan

i don't know if you're interested but i'm repeating this year and am planning on doing a blog with study tips and stuff. hoping to do my first post next wednesday, the 25th
    http://clodaghjoan.blogspot.com/

• Registered Users Posts: 1,148 ✭✭✭plein de force

i don't know if you're interested but i'm repeating this year and am planning on doing a blog with study tips and stuff. hoping to do my first post next wednesday, the 25th

oh i'll certainly take a look when you post :) should be interesting

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,819 ✭✭✭dan_d

DON'T listen to the media. They hype up the LC every year, they need something to talk about. They have the same conversations every year about the same thing, and they do not help anything.
    If you're nervous, that's okay, there's loads of ways to deal with it. If you're not nervous - that's totally okay too.

Give it your best shot, keep as may options open to yourself as possible with the level of subject you do (ie, think about further down the line when you might want to change careers and might need honours/pass, etc), and most of all, keep doing a bit steadily instead of trying to cram it all in.

And do not listen to those who predict questions, or those who say they've "done nothing". You worry about yourself, and what you need to do to pass your exam - I've said it before, at the end of the day, it's you, the exam paper and the CAO system. Nobody else is involved - remember that.

Finally, it's completely doable - remember that hundreds of thousands of students have sat, passed, and lived through the LC. It's not the end of the world, it's just another exam, and you'll do many more through your life.

Good luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭Hatred

Here's some tips that may help you:

Don't get stressed out. Everyone says its the most important year and it is but enjoy it. While its not as laid back as 5th year you can still have fun on the weekends and session.

Consistent work is important. Some study all year or start early but the real thing to do is just consistently do work even if its not much. This is especially true for subjects like english. If you try not to miss to much school and just do what needs to be done everyday you won't need to do the last couple of weeks cramming.

I didn't study the whole year and for the most part I didn't do anything on the weekends as they were my 'break'. The most studying I did was only in the last 2 weeks and before the mocks while I did no real revision or studying during the year unless a test was coming up. While this may not work for everyone it did work for me as I got 535 points.

Good luck.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 l.c2010

Have realistic study goals and try to do a bit in every subject every day!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 61 ✭✭kmhenry

I want an A1 in French. I don't care if the rest are Cs and Ds, I just want that A1!
    About what you said about printing off stuff, what stuff in particular did you focus on?

By the way my methods above for the written are officially flawless..I looked at my scripts there yesterday and I got 100/100 on the written production section. Follow my advice :D

• Registered Users Posts: 970 ✭✭✭lemansky

I haven't read the whole thread and I guess that this point has already been made.......but just in case, here goes:

Don't listen to other people when they mouth about how much study they do and all of that lark. Use your own common sense to work out when to start, how best to study, and how long you need to spend at it to cover enough material to keep you happy. It's all about working out for yourself what works best, and not burning yourself out.

Again, that point was probably already made, but it is worth repeating fifty times

• Registered Users Posts: 146 ✭✭lctake2

This is advice from someone that has done it wrong once and done it right once:
    1. Don't stress yourself out! it does much more harm than good. don't worry about what people will think of your results, don't forget that there are more important things to life
    2. Don't study just for the sake of studying, as in don't say I need to do 4 hours and then I'd done - do what it takes to get what you need to learned learned, let yourself take a break if your quality of study is going downhill
    3. Have a cutoff time, don't stay studying until 3 in the morning in total panic mode because you won't take it in
    4. Don't worry about pleasing your teachers, homework or class tests. There is no point half learning something because there's a test the next day. If you think it won;t benefit in your lc don't bother with it
    5. Ignore what all your friends say! some will say they do almost no study and you'll think you dont need to while they are really be doing loads. Others will pretend to do tons and intimidate you
    6. Study in different ways for different subjects, find a way that suits you
    Subjects
    English - i used lots of notecards to learn quotes and made myself do essays under exam conditions, i wrote 1 essay for each poet and got the corrected and rewrote them over and over until they were at the grade i wanted
    Irish- make sure you understand the meaning of all the poems and can translate them into your own basic irish
    German/Any other language - learn some passive vocab everyday, you only need to be able to recognise what it means when you see/hear it. Pick a few good high quality phrases that are relevant to alot of topics instead of trying to half learn lots of phrases
    Biology - from testing myself often i found there were some things i consistantly didnt remember and put them all together in a copy and made sure to go over them at least once a week
    Chemistry - make sure you understand what your learning. do exam questions over and over and over . . ., give yourself a definitions test everyweek
    Music - do alot of active listening to the set works and be really prepared for the composing paper because it's easy to score well in it, be ready for the practical as soon as you can
    Ag Science - do old exam questions, there are some things that don't seem prominant in the book but are asked very often, know the feeding regimes and weights for animals, they're asked every year. get your project out of the way at the start of the year

Most important is to be motivated, know your target and focus on it. You are giving a year of your life to this so you may aswell use it to get the best results possible! good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

May I ask,why are you doing 9 subjects?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15 ClodaghJoan

NotExactly wrote: »
    May I ask,why are you doing 9 subjects?

Because:
    1)Maths is OL but more or less a guaranteed 60 points,
    2)LCVP will probably only be a merit but for the sake of the exam, which I pretty much study for with business anyway. . .
    3)I can't expect to do too well in physics after only one year, but I'm interested in Phys/ Chem teaching next year, so I figured I'd try and absorb something this year

• Registered Users Posts: 814 ✭✭✭NotExactly

Because:
    1)Maths is OL but more or less a guaranteed 60 points,
    2)LCVP will probably only be a merit but for the sake of the exam, which I pretty much study for with business anyway. . .
    3)I can't expect to do too well in physics after only one year, but I'm interested in Phys/ Chem teaching next year, so I figured I'd try and absorb something this year

1) An A1 in any subject is not guaranteed.

2) For the sake of the exam? So your not goin' to count it but your doing it anyway?

3) Try and absorb something. You'll have to absorb allot more than that for a good grade in Physics.

Advertisement