Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Desire with Pinky ROM

Options
  • 17-08-2010 7:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭

I flashed the Pinky Desire 1.6 ROM onto my phone last night and was just wondering if anyone else was using it? The change to the battery life seems amazing as it's only dropped to 89% from fully charged in the eight hours since I unplugged it today & JuicePlotter is telling me I've 60+ hours left which is more than twice what I've ever seen before. Not huge use in that time, two calls along with a few text messages, wifi would have been on until stopped by JuiceDefender.

Assuming it's the built in ondemand CPU governor along with JuiceDefender that's responsible for the improvement. Think this one is a keeper for me as battery life (or the lack of it) has been my one whinge about the Desire since I got it.
    Tagged:

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

Downloaded it and going to give it ago.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,966 ✭✭✭opus

Downloaded it and going to give it ago.

Interested to hear how you get on, it dropped from 100% to 63% in the 24 hours it was unplugged yesterday, think I made two calls, sent a few texts & it downloaded the Guardian online stuff this morning. Much better than previous, it might last three days at that rate :)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,802 Mod ✭✭✭✭Keano

opus wrote: »
    Interested to hear how you get on, it dropped from 100% to 63% in the 24 hours it was unplugged yesterday, think I made two calls, sent a few texts & it downloaded the Guardian online stuff this morning. Much better than previous, it might last three days at that rate :)
    Did you partition your SD card?

Did you partition your SD card?

Yup, I've a 16Gb card partitioned as follows:

FAT - ~15.5Gb
    EXT3 - 768Mb
    Swap - 32Mb

Possibly the swap partition isn't needed. The EXT3 parition is so that A2SD+ installs apps onto the SD card. Works pretty well, I've a bunch of apps installed & 85Mb+ free on the internal phone storage.

After installing it now and have most of my apps re-installed and have over 60mb of free space which is pretty decent.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,006 ✭✭✭nedd

Hi.

I want to give this a go but is there anyway to install it and not lose all my apps? I tried it last night and I didn't "Clear Data and Cache" and i ended up with only 14mb's on my internal storage. Some of my apps were still there but others were gone. weird.

Now granted i forgot to format my card to get an ext3 partition.

So I will try it again this evening with the ext3 partition. But I would like to do a clean install ie. clear all data off the phone, install the new Rom and then somehow restore all my data back again.

Is this possible?
    Sorry if this is a very noob'y question but well i'm a noob at this Android Rom stuff.

Thanks

nedd wrote: »
    Hi.

I want to give this a go but is there anyway to install it and not lose all my apps? I tried it last night and I didn't "Clear Data and Cache" and i ended up with only 14mb's on my internal storage. Some of my apps were still there but others were gone. weird.

So I will try it again this evening with the ext3 partition. But I would like to do a clean install ie. clear all data off the phone, install the new Rom and then somehow restore all my data back again.

Is this possible?
    Sorry if this is a very noob'y question but well i'm a noob at this Android Rom stuff.

Thanks
    You will loose all your apps but if you use Astro file manager and back them up it won't take long to reinstall them.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

You will loose all your apps but if you use Astro file manager and back them up it won't take long to reinstall them.

How you finding the battery now, Keano ?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Hi.

Is this possible?

Thanks

I think the easiest way to do this is through titanium back up. Download from the market. Open it, press menu button, then batch, then run back up apps, select the apps you want to back up, hit run batch process and Mary is your aunt. Flash Rom, download titanium from market again, menu, batch, run restore apps and data and Philips your cousin.

You can donate to me for this advice, 20 €.

I think the easiest way to do this is through titanium back up. Download from the market. Open it, press menu button, then batch, then run back up apps, select the apps you want to back up, hit run batch process and Mary is your aunt. Flash Rom, download titanium from market again, menu, batch, run restore apps and data and Philips your cousin.

I used Titanium Backup to take care of the apps as well. Btw I notice that a new version of the ROM (1.7) is available already! Think I'll wait a while as the current one works very well & haven't seen any issues. 1.8 will probably be along next week anyway :)

• Advertisement

Kenno90 wrote: »
    How you finding the battery now, Keano ?
    I charged it yesterday morning via usb at work and from around 1 yesterday the battery is now at 68% which is amazing :D

Although, I have now a WIFI widget and I turned off the WIFI during the day and also last night I turned it off which no doubt helps.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,143 ✭✭✭jumbobreakfast

Is this ROM the best for battery life or are there better ones?

I've done enough with the stock ROM so it's about time I start experimenting a bit. I'd be looking for a good all-rounder ROM which wont break any apps and give me the best battery life. Is Pinky the way to go?

Is this ROM the best for battery life or are there better ones?

I've done enough with the stock ROM so it's about time I start experimenting a bit. I'd be looking for a good all-rounder ROM which wont break any apps and give me the best battery life. Is Pinky the way to go?
    Well from my last message you can see this morning at 9 I had 68. I took a few calls and sent one or two texts. I am home now with WIFI on for a few hours and it's at 48%. Now, I have started turning WIFI off during the day and when I go to sleep so that has helped.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,319 ✭✭✭Chet T16

If battery life is a concern i'd steer away from anything running wifi n. I've always come back to modaco roms in the end.

After 12 hours today i'm on 66%, thats with a few calls and texts and a bit of wifi browsing. Juiceplotter says 25 hours left with would be about right. I'm using juicedefender to disable wifi when the screen is off except for 3 mins every hour.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,184 ✭✭✭Kenno90

Chet T16 wrote: »
    except for 3 mins every hour.

Is that to update the widgets and stuff like that , if so i like your thinking:D

Kenno90 wrote: »
    Is that to update the widgets and stuff like that , if so i like your thinking:D

Yep, can be set differently if needed. TBH since i haven't found a decent friendstream widget replacement (i'm using adw launcher now) i don't have much that needs updating

• Registered Users Posts: 3,133 ✭✭✭ronano

would this rom but suitable for a htc g1 phone or could someone recommend a rom for it?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭osnola ibax

Using pink 1.7 classic, battery is pretty woeful. Also included weird open vpn programme that couldn't be deactivated, uninstalling now, going back to neo

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Using pink 1.7 classic, battery is pretty woeful. Also included weird open vpn programme that couldn't be deactivated, uninstalling now, going back to neo

Ah don't say that, i was going to give the new classic pinky a lash this morning. The battery life talk on here is very enticing. I'm getting ~18 hours from psychosis with juice defender running. I love the Rom but it would be nice not to have to plug it in every night

Don't know about Pinky Desire Classic as that's a different variant to the one I'm using. Did an update using ROM Manager, without wiping, this morning to 1.8 and was happy to see it kept all my apps, settings etc as I thought I'd have to restore them.

• Advertisement

Hey i'm on 1.7 at the moment and thinking of going to 1.8 without wiping. how is your internal storage space looking? i initially went from stock rom to 1.7 without wiping and my internal storage was down to 10 percent free. i think there was lots of apps installed locally that didnt link to the new ROM. i did a second install to 1.7 with a wipe and its fine.

Also i noticed this morning at 6:45 that the HTC alarm clock wont switch off if your using Android lock screen. very annoying. i had to restart the phone. apparently using the Android alarm clock works fine.

Thanks

Hey i'm on 1.7 at the moment and thinking of going to 1.8 without wiping. how is your internal storage space looking? i initially went from stock rom to 1.7 without wiping and my internal storage was down to 10 percent free. i think there was lots of apps installed locally that didnt link to the new ROM. i did a second install to 1.7 with a wipe and its fine.

Also i noticed this morning at 6:45 that the HTC alarm clock wont switch off if your using Android lock screen. very annoying. i had to restart the phone. apparently using the Android alarm clock works fine.

Thanks

It's at ~73Mb free on the internal storage with a good few apps installed. After my first wipe & install I reinstalled all the apps so most of them are probably on the ext3 partition on the sdcard now. Am hoping from here on won't have to do anything just let ROM manager update .

Cheers.

Do you have Rom Manager Premium? I think that the only way to "Update" your Rom right?
    Or did you just download the latest version and install it without the wipe?
    Again sorry for the noob questions, still trying to get my head around this.

Thanks

Just download and update, 90% of the time you won't need to wipe. Take a backup first, if strange things happen after an upgrade then wipe and reinstall

Cheers.

Do you have Rom Manager Premium? I think that the only way to "Update" your Rom right?
    Or did you just download the latest version and install it without the wipe?
    Again sorry for the noob questions, still trying to get my head around this.

Thanks

Do indeed have ROM Manager Premium but I don't think it does anything special apart from downloading the ROM for you and then installing it, I just didn't check the wipe box that was all. Easy to do that yourself as well as mentioned in the last post.

Thanks guys,

I have been using Pinky now for a week or two and its going grand apart from one problem.

My SD card keeps unmounting itself and then becoming read only. I have dont some googling and it looks like a problem with using A2SD with ext partitions. its hasnt caused me major hassle (yet) but its getting annoying.

Anyone else notice this?

My SD card keeps unmounting itself and then becoming read only. I have dont some googling and it looks like a problem with using A2SD with ext partitions. its hasnt caused me major hassle (yet) but its getting annoying.

Anyone else notice this?

Nope haven't seen anything like that. Maybe you need to check your SD card for errors, seen that mentioned on a thread somewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,836 ✭✭✭Vokes

Anyone else notice this?
    I've had that problem twice with v1.7.

No problems so far with v1.8.

As a test I charged it fully last night & plugged it out at 11.15pm, this morning at 7.30am it had dropped from 100% to 94% charged, wifi/data was on all night with Juicedefender doing its stuff in the background. That is with Pinky Desire 1.8.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,227 ✭✭✭cullenswood

Anyone know a short cut to Network Mode on this Rom. I used to be able to get one on my home screen before I started using Pinky but now can't seem to FM it.
    I used this quite a lot to turn off 3G
    Thanks

Advertisement