Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Married Catholic Priests. They CAN exist, but do they?

Options
  • 17-08-2010 3:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭

Read a while ago that Protestant, might not necessarily be confined to Protestant minister/ vicars (don't know the correct term) who are married and convert to be Catholic Priests can remain married.

Does any body know of any instances of this happening?

Or is there any chances of the "opposition" turning to the dark side :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,245 ✭✭✭✭Fanny Cradock

I don't have any hard statistics, but a little bit of Googling throws up a number of stories like this. I'm not sure if the priest in question is married but I would imagine that you wouldn't have to look very far to encounter one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 155 ✭✭The Smurf

There are some married former Anglican ministers who became Catholic priests and were allowed to keep the wife and children.

There are also married priests in the Eastern Catholic Churches which are in communion with the Pope.

But the norm for the Latin Rite is priestly celibacy and Pope Benedict has spoken often in recent times on the reasons and beauty of this priestly celibacy.

See here: http://www.radiovaticana.org/EN1/Articolo.asp?c=399976 (click on the wee speaker icon) and here: http://www.catholicculture.org/news/headlines/index.cfm?storyid=6619

I don't see why people are so hung up about this. Most of the people talking about this aren't priests and many are unable to be priests.

Also, our Irish priests say they are overworked as it is. Can you imagine if they had wife and kids? They'd be even more inaccessible to their people than they are at present! It's hard enough stealing a few minutes with any of our local priests. I can imagine that the lay people would go out the window of concern altogether if there was wife and kids. God said you can only serve one master. I think if there's a choice between the wife and a parishioner's needs, the wife will win each time. A priest is a shepherd of souls, and should be available to his flock.

• Registered Users Posts: 611 ✭✭✭Vinny-Chase

As an aside from this but also related. Can anybody provide some info from priests that converted. Reading a little online it appears from the few that I've read about (married aside) they claim that the Anglican church had become too liberal.

Could anybody point me in the direction of some links or articles where the priest discusses his reasons in more detail? Or websites relating to said priests? I'm a little unfamiliar in searching for such things and wouldn't really know where to begin looking. I know about Google before someone says it. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,080 ✭✭✭lmaopml

http://www.catholic.com/thisrock/2008/0801fea3.asp

Here's an article along those lines Vinnychase.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Plowman

This post has been deleted.

As an aside from this but also related. Can anybody provide some info from priests that converted. Reading a little online it appears from the few that I've read about (married aside) they claim that the Anglican church had become too liberal.

Could anybody point me in the direction of some links or articles where the priest discusses his reasons in more detail? Or websites relating to said priests? I'm a little unfamiliar in searching for such things and wouldn't really know where to begin looking. I know about Google before someone says it. :)

Fr Dwight Longnecker was an Anglican vicar. He converted and is now a prolific and orthodox Catholic writer - he has a site and a blog:

http://www.dwightlongenecker.com/

http://gkupsidedown.blogspot.com/

I'm sure you'll find plenty of stuff there.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,479 ✭✭✭✭philologos

The Anglican Communion is really a broad organisation.

Firstly, it's split up into independent (in decision making) provinces, all over the world.

Edit: Provinces being like the Church of Ireland, the Church in Wales, Church of England, Anglican Church of Australia, Episcopal Church in the USA, each which make decisions democratically at a General Synod.

Secondly, it's split up by inclination. There are three main contingents of Anglican churches.
    1 - Broad Church - Most common. Traditional church structure, but dissimilar to Roman Catholicism in numerous ways. Vestments are worn. These churches would be via-media in between Roman Catholicism and Reformed Protestantism.

2 - Anglo-Catholic - Anglicans who are very similar in practice and belief to Roman Catholics. Often use Father to describe ministers, and believe in transubstantiation, and praying the Rosary.

3 - Evangelicals / Reformed Anglicans - Much more Reformed, emphasising the Protestant tradition of the Anglican Church. More modern evangelical Anglican churches would encourage full immersal baptism, and ministers wouldn't wear vestments. Modern praise songs would be used primarily for worship. Strong emphasis on the Bible. Sydney Diocese in Australia is considered the most Evangelical / Reformed diocese in the Anglican Communion.

I've been to churches that would fit in all three of these categories, but yet would all be Anglican.

Liberal or not-liberal tends to be based on what inclination you are. Broad church tends to be quite liberal, Anglo-Catholicism can be liberal or conservative depending on the church, and more often than not Evangelical / Reformed tend to be conservative, but there are liberal strands as well.

The Global South tends to be more conservative than the Global North, who are changing their teaching much more fluidly in relation to same-sex marriage, abortion, and the role of women in the church. (I would consider the role of women an important issue to examine personally)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 decrevit

Read a while ago that Protestant, might not necessarily be confined to Protestant minister/ vicars (don't know the correct term) who are married and convert to be Catholic Priests can remain married.

Does any body know of any instances of this happening?

Or is there any chances of the "opposition" turning to the dark side :)

If you are a Married Catholic man, you can become a Priest. There are many Catholic Rites and some allow married priests (So yes there are married priests in the Catholic church).

For example in the States there are married Catholic priests saying mass in the Greek Catholic rite.

I suggest you apply to become a married deacon.

decrevit wrote: »
    If you are a Married Catholic man, you can become a Priest. There are many Catholic Rites and some allow married priests (So yes there are married priests in the Catholic church).

For example in the States there are married Catholic priests saying mass in the Greek Catholic rite.

I suggest you apply to become a married deacon.
    It's not as simple as that. I don't think the other Rites look too favourable on 'Rite-Jumpers' switching over simply so as to take advantage.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,142 ✭✭✭ISAW

The Smurf wrote: »
    It's not as simple as that. I don't think the other Rites look too favourable on 'Rite-Jumpers' switching over simply so as to take advantage.

But they aren't! They already have the "advantage"! they are just changing denomination for reasons other then they already being married priests.

Vinny,
    I haven't time to dig out the relevant canons so I apologise for the lazy research

Vinny. the rule in the Roman church is this:

If you are married you may become a priest but if you are a priest and married and say you became a widower then you can't remarry.

In the Orthodox Church priests can marry but monks can't but Bishops are selected from monks. i.e. ther wont be married Bishops or children of Bishops.

There is no absolute rule about it. It is a rule brought in for convenience as far as I remember, principally due to priests having many concubines and children inheritance rights etc. The problem is if you are a Priest and have children you family comes first. Rules can be changed and they ARE in the case of the canon allowing for exceptions. In fact the period Priests could marry is longer in history than the period that they couldn't.

The relevant exceptions I can't locate quickly
    The relevant Canons are 1041 /3 and 1042/1

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3S.HTM

• Registered Users Posts: 4,160 ✭✭✭Callan57

ISAW wrote: »
    But they aren't! They already have the "advantage"! they are just changing denomination for reasons other then they already being married priests.

Vinny,
    I haven't time to dig out the relevant canons so I apologise for the lazy research

Vinny. the rule in the Roman church is this:

If you are married you may become a priest but if you are a priest and married and say you became a widower then you can't remarry.

In the Orthodox Church priests can marry but monks can't but Bishops are selected from monks. i.e. ther wont be married Bishops or children of Bishops.

There is no absolute rule about it. It is a rule brought in for convenience as far as I remember, principally due to priests having many concubines and children inheritance rights etc. The problem is if you are a Priest and have children you family comes first. Rules can be changed and they ARE in the case of the canon allowing for exceptions. In fact the period Priests could marry is longer in history than the period that they couldn't.

The relevant exceptions I can't locate quickly
    The relevant Canons are 1041 /3 and 1042/1

http://www.vatican.va/archive/ENG1104/__P3S.HTM

So I take it then it was all right for priests to have 'concubines' and father children as long as neither had inheritance rights or I presume maintenance rights ... in other words as long as the children were in the antiquated term 'illegitemate'?
    As we have seen time & again religion my eye it's all about the money.
    Oh how very Christian ...

Each rite is as equal as the other. A Married priest is the same as a celibate priest.

But to be honest from my personal point of view, if you are really passionate about the priesthood you would be better serving as a celibate priest. Even in the orthodox church there are many celibate priests. Its hard to juggle family life and the priesthood, its not really a 9 - 5 job. But I have seen catholic married men whose families are grown up become priests in the catholic Church.

Each rite is as equal as the other. A Married priest is the same as a celibate priest.

But to be honest from my personal point of view, if you are really passionate about the priesthood you would be better serving as a celibate priest. Even in the orthodox church there are many celibate priests. Its hard to juggle family life and the priesthood, its not really a 9 - 5 job. But I have seen catholic married men whose families are grown up become priests in the catholic Church.
    The Eastern Catholic Churches in communion with the Holy See are as Catholic as the Pope.

But what I am saying is this: see how far you get when you present yourself, as a Latin Rite Catholic, telling any of the Eastern Rites that the reason you want to switch rites is because you want to be a married priest and the Latin Rite won't let you. It's not exactly a mature approach to the priesthood and would be very much frowned upon.

The Eastern Catholic Churches in communion with the Holy See are as Catholic as the Pope.

But what I am saying is this: see how far you get when you present yourself, as a Latin Rite Catholic, telling any of the Eastern Rites that the reason you want to switch rites is because you want to be a married priest and the Latin Rite won't let you. It's not exactly a mature approach to the priesthood and would be very much frowned upon.

You would be surprised.... However I suggest you become a deacon in the latin rite.

Married priests even in the Orthodox church bring certain problems. A priest has to give his life to the church, its a state not a job. Only married men for several years can be ordained and have to be of good standing.

I lived in Romania in the 90's and have many orthodox friends who are priests. Personally I found the celibate priests (who are monks) to be more profound and dedicated, however there are also some good married priests.

Personally I think Catholic Married Men in the Latin rite should be given the option to become priests after meeting certain criteria. But it would be difficult to maintain. A family needs a higher financial support than a celibate priest would. What happens when the priest dies?

Lets face it when Jesus appeared to the apostles after his resurrection it changed the whole dynamic of his teaching, this spurred them to travel and preach is message, none of them married or remarried.

You would be surprised.... However I suggest you become a deacon in the latin rite.

Married priests even in the Orthodox church bring certain problems. A priest has to give his life to the church, its a state not a job. Only married men for several years can be ordained and have to be of good standing.

I lived in Romania in the 90's and have many orthodox friends who are priests. Personally I found the celibate priests (who are monks) to be more profound and dedicated, however there are also some good married priests.

Personally I think Catholic Married Men in the Latin rite should be given the option to become priests after meeting certain criteria. But it would be difficult to maintain. A family needs a higher financial support than a celibate priest would. What happens when the priest dies?

Lets face it when Jesus appeared to the apostles after his resurrection it changed the whole dynamic of his teaching, this spurred them to travel and preach is message, none of them married or remarried.
    But... what if I don't want to become a deacon? :D

I think priestly celibacy is a good thing and it means that a man is able to dedicate himself completely to the Church. It is also a great witness to the world of the presence and existence of God.

I also think that there is a great danger with any possible change of this discipline. What we need are good, holy priests. I would fear that, were the discipline to be changed, we would have a bunch of faithless lachicos looking for a cushy number, nice wife, children, nice house, and some 'duties' on a Sunday. Believe me, we already have priests like that... We don't need any more and we certainly don't need to encourage them.

As well as the beautiful reasons that Pope Benedict has given recently, there are of course practical questions, like who is going to pay for the wife, children, two cars, house, holidays, pet dog, university fees, healthcare, toys, etc...?

Also, what I don't wuite understand is this: why are people so hung up about priestly celibacy? What are they so concerned about married priests? I am a young man. I am Catholic. I am entertaining the possibility that I might have a vocation to priesthood or religious life - I'm not sure. But one thing I do know is this: I wouldn't want to do both. I don't think I could give myself totally to the Church of Jesus Christ AND give myself totally to my wife and children. There is not enough of me to go around, and something is going to have to give. It's gonna be the wife and children or the Church. Something, somebody is going to have to go to pot.

I think the obsession may actually find its origin, beyond a superficial concern for 'lack of priests', to the fixation the world has on sex. The world says the Church is obsessed with sex. I would say, no, the world is obsessed with sex. That is the world's biggest idol. The priestly celibacy IS a scandal, as the Pope said. It is a scandal to a world that is preoccupied with the here and now, and can't see beyond that. I can't help but think that maybe this desire to end priestly celibacy is really a desire to do away with reminders of the ultimate reality: there is a God, and He does care about us, and He does care about what we do with our lives, in every aspect, including our sexuality.

Pope Benedict beautifully addressed this at the close of the year for priests with a Q&A with priests in Rome:
    http://www.zenit.org/article-29632?l=english

Cardinal Humes called priestly celibacy "Christ's Precious Gift to His Church":
    http://www.zenit.org/article-19233?l=english

I found this extract from a book interview with the then Cardinal Ratzinger - the whole excerpt is worth reading!

I've attached it as a Word document.

It is not a dogma. It is a form of life that has grown up in the Church and that naturally always brings with it the danger of a fall. When one aims so high, there [are] failures. I think that what provokes people today against celibacy is that they see how many priests really aren’t inwardly in agreement with it and either live it hypocritically, badly, not at all, or only live it in a tortured way. So people say...
    …it ruins them...
    The poorer an age is in faith, the more frequent the falls. This robs celibacy of its credibility and obscures the real point of it. People need to get straight in their minds that times of crisis for celibacy are always times of crisis for marriage as well. For, as a matter of fact, today we are experiencing not only violations of celibacy; marriage itself is becoming increasingly fragile as the basis of our society. In the legislation of Western nations we see how it is increasingly placed on the same level as other forms and is thereby largely “dissolved” as a legal form. Nor is the hard work needed really to live marriage negligible. Put in practical terms, after the abolition of celibacy we would only have a different kind of problem with divorced priests. That is not unknown in the Protestant Churches. In this sense, we see, of course, that the lofty forms of human existence involve great risks.
    The conclusion that I would draw from this, however, is not that we should now say, “We can’t do it anymore”, but that we must learn again to believe. And that we must also be even more careful in the selection of candidates for the priesthood. The point is that someone ought really to accept it freely and not say, well now, I would like to become a priest, so I’ll put up with this. Or: Well then, I’m not interested in girls anyway, so I’ll go along with celibacy. That is not a basis to start from. The candidate for the priesthood has to recognize the faith as a force in his life, and he must know that he can live celibacy only in faith. Then celibacy can also become again a testimony that says something to people and that also gives them the courage to marry. The two institutions are interconnected. If fidelity in the one is no longer possible, the other no longer exists: one fidelity sustains the other.

Callan57 wrote: »
    So I take it then it was all right for priests to have 'concubines' and father children as long as neither had inheritance rights or I presume maintenance rights ... in other words as long as the children were in the antiquated term 'illegitemate'?
    As we have seen time & again religion my eye it's all about the money.
    Oh how very Christian ...

You seem to be mixing up "right and wrong" with what is in accordance with the law. Jesus often pointed out this problem.

To the Smurf... Totally agree with your 2 posts. However there should be certain circumstances when Married men should be considered. Half the priests in the Catholic Maronite rite are married. For sure Celibacy is central to the priesthood, it should and will be maintained. But certain married men who have served the church for many years (maybe as deacons) should be given the option to be ordained (maybe once their family has been raised and they are retired).

But I think if a young man wants to serve the church as a priest he should devote his life to christ and not comtemplate married (if he feels called)

For sure Celibacy is central to the priesthood, it should and will be maintained. But certain married men who have served the church for many years (maybe as deacons) should be given the option to be ordained (maybe once their family has been raised and they are retired).

But I think if a young man wants to serve the church as a priest he should devote his life to christ and not comtemplate married (if he feels called)

Deacons ARE ordained!
    I don't understand your point. Are you saying that hearing confession and saying Mass are the only important things that married people should aspire to if they feel they are called to a religious life?

• Advertisement

ISAW wrote: »
    Deacons ARE ordained!
    I don't understand your point. Are you saying that hearing confession and saying Mass are the only important things that married people should aspire to if they feel they are called to a religious life?

I am married and don't aspire to the priesthood. I think there are many ways I can work in the church without being a deacon/Priests.

And yes Deacons are ordained.

For me, apart from the beautiful theological and practical reasons for celibacy as a priestly discipline, there is the risk that the wrong sorts of people might be tempted to the priesthood.

We've had enough clampits in the priesthood. I fear that the very men who'd be most tempted by a married priesthood right now would be the last sorts of men you would want as priests - men who are heterodox, faithless, and just looking for an easy life and a cushy number. That is not at all what the priesthood is about. I think that now is not the time to be considering any of these things, and I think the Pope would agree with me on that point.

So to summarise, my objection to married priests is based on these factors, in no order:

1. Availability and dedication to the Church
    2. Practical problems e.g. supporting families, problems of divorced priests etc...
    3. Risk of attracting the wrong sorts of men to the priesthood
    4. The beautiful theological reasons for the traditional discipline of celibacy

• Registered Users Posts: 9,555 ✭✭✭antiskeptic

I think priestly celibacy is a good thing and it means that a man is able to dedicate himself completely to the Church. It is also a great witness to the world of the presence and existence of God.

But lots of people choose to remain batchelors/spinsters - remaining celebate in the process. One needn't draw the conclusion of great sacrifice just because someone enters the priesthood.

I also think that there is a great danger with any possible change of this discipline. What we need are good, holy priests. I would fear that, were the discipline to be changed, we would have a bunch of faithless lachicos looking for a cushy number, nice wife, children, nice house, and some 'duties' on a Sunday. Believe me, we already have priests like that... We don't need any more and we certainly don't need to encourage them.

Which isn't displaying a lot of confidence in the selection process. Can that process (which I gather takes a number of years) not differentiate between a person with a genuine spiritual calling and a .. freeloader?

As well as the beautiful reasons that Pope Benedict has given recently, there are of course practical questions, like who is going to pay for the wife, children, two cars, house, holidays, pet dog, university fees, healthcare, toys, etc...?

A congregation who'd appreciate someone who's life bore a passing resemblance to their own? Someone who shares the same trials that they undergo but who finds strength in the grace of God and can point others to the very source that helped them in their self-same trials?

Also, what I don't quite understand is this: why are people so hung up about priestly celibacy? What are they so concerned about married priests? I am a young man. I am Catholic. I am entertaining the possibility that I might have a vocation to priesthood or religious life - I'm not sure. But one thing I do know is this: I wouldn't want to do both. I don't think I could give myself totally to the Church of Jesus Christ AND give myself totally to my wife and children. There is not enough of me to go around, and something is going to have to give. It's gonna be the wife and children or the Church. Something, somebody is going to have to go to pot.

The above point covers it perhaps. A person might be able to give more but perhaps the quality of the giving is more important than the sheer quantity. Certainly if I was turning to an elder (your priestly equivilent) for guidance on the thorny issues involved in marriage I'd want that counsellor to be someone who had other-than-theoretical insights into what I was talking about.

For me, apart from the beautiful theological and practical reasons for celibacy as a priestly discipline, there is the risk that the wrong sorts of people might be tempted to the priesthood.

There are neither good theological reasons, or good practical reasons for denying ministers the right to marry. Indeed, it is beneficial for ministers to have experience of family life. Indeed, this is a theological reason also:
    He must manage his own family well and see that his children obey him with proper respect. (If anyone does not know how to manage his own family, how can he take care of God's church?)
    We've had enough clampits in the priesthood. I fear that the very men who'd be most tempted by a married priesthood right now would be the last sorts of men you would want as priests - men who are heterodox, faithless, and just looking for an easy life and a cushy number. That is not at all what the priesthood is about. I think that now is not the time to be considering any of these things, and I think the Pope would agree with me on that point.

Tempted, makes it sound like it is a sin to desire to share a common goal with another woman and become one under God.

But lots of people choose to remain batchelors/spinsters - remaining celebate in the process. One needn't draw the conclusion of great sacrifice just because someone enters the priesthood.

[True. But a good priest is a man who would also have made a good father. A priest is a father to spiritual children. Therefore a good priest is a man who would experience the sacrifice of giving up marriage for the sake of the Kingdom. ]

Which isn't displaying a lot of confidence in the selection process. Can that process (which I gather takes a number of years) not differentiate between a person with a genuine spiritual calling and a .. freeloader? [I don't actually have very much faith in much of anything that is presently going on at our national seminary. I have inside contacts!]

A congregation who'd appreciate someone who's life bore a passing resemblance to their own? Someone who shares the same trials that they undergo but who finds strength in the grace of God and can point others to the very source that helped them in their self-same trials?
    [I don't need to have firsthand experience of marriage in order to advise others on this vocation. It is a modern error which says only those with direct experience are in any way able to comment. The mindset is illustrated when a person says ''What does a celibate old man in Rome know about marriage?'']

The above point covers it perhaps. A person might be able to give more but perhaps the quality of the giving is more important than the sheer quantity. Certainly if I was turning to an elder (your priestly equivilent) for guidance on the thorny issues involved in marriage I'd want that counsellor to be someone who had other-than-theoretical insights into what I was talking about.[see above]

I should issue a reminder that this thread will, by necessity, deal with specifically Catholic ideas which are a given. Many non-Catholics might object to this or that, but this thread is not the place to enter into those kinds of discussions. I know Anti-skeptic or somebody did respect that in another thread. I am just mentioning it now before the thread gets irreparably sidetracked... as tempted as I am to respond to the post above this one.

The Smurf - You brought up the merits or priestly celibacy on this thread. People should be fully free to disagree with you on this thread, if you bring it up. Non-Catholic opinion is welcome on this board, because it is the "Christianity" forum, and not the "Catholicism" forum.

Jakkass wrote: »
    The Smurf - You brought up the merits or priestly celibacy on this thread. People should be fully free to disagree with you on this thread, if you bring it up. Non-Catholic opinion is welcome on this board, because it is the "Christianity" forum, and not the "Catholicism" forum.
    You said above:
    There are neither good theological reasons, or good practical reasons for denying ministers the right to marry.

The thing is, for Catholic belief, the priest is not just a minister, he is an alter Christus. We could be talking about apples and oranges. Cardinal Ratzinger addressed the issue of the difference in his interview:
    Back to my question: Do you think that perhaps one day priests will be able to decide freely between celibate and noncelibate life?

I understood your question. I simply had to make it clear that in any event, at least according to what every priest says before his ordination, celibacy is not a matter of compulsion. Someone is accepted as a priest only when he does it of his own accord. And that is now the question, of course: How deeply do priesthood and celibacy belong together? And is not the wish to have only one [without the other] a lower view of the priesthood? Nor do I think that in this matter it’s enough simply to point to the Orthodox Churches and Protestant Christianity. Protestant Christianity has per se a completely different understanding of office: it is a function, it is a ministry coming out of the community, but it is not a sacrament in the same sense; it is not priesthood in this proper sense. In the Orthodox Churches we have, on the one hand, the full form of the priesthood, the priest monks, who alone can become bishops. Alongside them are the “people’s priests”, who, if they want to marry, must marry before ordination but who exercise little pastoral care but are really only liturgical ministers. This is also a somewhat different conception of priesthood. We, on the other hand, are of the opinion that everyone who is a priest at all must be so in the way the bishop is and that there cannot be such a division.

One ought not to declare that any custom of the Church’s life, no matter how deeply anchored and well founded, is wholly absolute. To be sure, the Church will have to ask herself the question again and again; she has now done so in two synods. But I think that given the whole history of Western Christianity and the inner vision that lies at the basis of the whole, the Church should not believe that she will easily gain much by resorting to this uncoupling; rather in any case she will lose if she does so.

“Can one say, then, that you do not believe that one day the Catholic Church will have married priests?”

At least not in the foreseeable future. To be quite honest, I must say that we do have married priests, who came to us as converts from the Anglican Church or from various Protestant communities. In exceptional cases, then, it is possible, but they are just that - exceptional situations. And I think that these will also remain exceptional cases in the future.

The priest is the true pastor of souls. He can only be totally available to his souls if he is celibate, otherwise the souls will come a poor second to wife and kids.

The misunderstanding about the nature of priesthood afflicts the feminists, who just can't understand why they can't use equality legislation to demand priestly ordination. Nobody has a right to be a priest - the Church calls men to the priesthood after the example of Christ and She must be faithful to this example.

The thing is, for Catholic belief, the priest is not just a minister, he is an alter Christus. We could be talking about apples and oranges. Cardinal Ratzinger addressed the issue of the difference in his interview:

The priest is the true pastor of souls. He can only be totally available to his souls if he is celibate, otherwise the souls will come a poor second to wife and kids.

Your position is in contradiction with the Biblical text. In both 1 Timothy and Titus, Paul argues that experience with a family, and in marriage is good for clergy to follow.

Is Paul correct, or is Pope Benedict correct?

Your position is in contradiction with the Biblical text. In both 1 Timothy and Titus, Paul argues that experience with a family, and in marriage is good for clergy to follow.

Is Paul correct, or is Pope Benedict correct?
    See, this is what I am talking about. A Catholic-Protestant argument is what I am not prepared to get into as this thread is not the place for it.

(I know you've not read Cardinal Ratzinger's interview!!)

• Advertisement

The Smurf - It's a valid question given that your position is in direct contradiction with the take that Paul took. I've read the quote that you have given, and it also is in direct contradiction with the Biblical take.

If you post something here, people are welcome to question and challenge your point of view. This is a discussion forum.

His position on sacraments is also inaccurate from both Anglican and Lutheran takes on ordination.

Advertisement