Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Dietary Supplements?

Options
  • 16-08-2010 7:48pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 22

Hey,

I've started at the gym and I don't eat terribly unhealthily, I have been recommended by my chemist to try CLA booster. Is this any good?

Which dietary aid would you recommend? I'd like to avoid any unpleasant side effects. I am 85kg and a size 16/18 hoping to get to a size 10/12.

Any recommendations would be greatly appreciated :rolleyes:
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,991 ✭✭✭metamorphosis

Don't waste your hard earned cash - having a coffee before a meal is more effective. Diet is key - moreso than exercise. If you outline a typicals day diet as detailed as possible people will tell you where you're going wrong and give you feedback. the stickies at the top of this forum and the fitness forum include a great deal of info that's free and a hell of a lot better than the information you'd get off some fitness 'professionals'

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

90% of weight loss is diet.

Nothing wrong with CLA, there is research to prove it works, but the effects are subtle and long term (months rather than weeks) and you need to be taking a lot more than the couple of capsules you'll get in the chemist. There are better ways to spend your money.

If you want to supplement, I would get a good multi-vitamin and some fish oil. Any decent brand will do the job, you don't need to get exotic and expensive. After that, some whey or casein could be useful for after the gym, if you are lifting hard.

Can you post what you eat?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,394 ✭✭✭Transform

EileenG wrote: »
    90% of weight loss is diet.

Nothing wrong with CLA, there is research to prove it works, but the effects are subtle and long term (months rather than weeks) and you need to be taking a lot more than the couple of capsules you'll get in the chemist. There are better ways to spend your money.

If you want to supplement, I would get a good multi-vitamin and some fish oil. Any decent brand will do the job, you don't need to get exotic and expensive. After that, some whey or casein could be useful for after the gym, if you are lifting hard.

Can you post what you eat?
    post what you eat - you say you are a size 18 but dont eat terribly unhealthy, that does not stack up IMO. You might thing you do not eat unhealhty but post up so people can help you with it

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22 EmmaBoo

I don't eat unhealthily, I have brown bread or cereal with fruit for breakfast, soup for lunch and probably chicken for dinner or beef. Not awfully unhealthy I wouldn't think. Snacks are fruit or yohgurts. I don't need advice on what I eat IMO

• Registered Users Posts: 5,775 ✭✭✭EileenG

Well, possibly. But the food you've mentioned is very high carb, and I don't see a lot of protein, healthy fat or green vegetables. High carb is great if you are every active, or trying to bulk, but it's not the easiest way to lose weight.

Can you post the actual food you eat for a couple of days? Include everything, including the tea and coffee and diet drinks.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 37,485 Mod ✭✭✭✭Khannie

Lads....she's made it clear she doesn't want advice on her diet.

OP: I'd say multivit, fish oil, vitamin d and vitamin c are worth considering. I would (personally) go with a good fish oil first and foremost.

Edit : Oh, maybe magnesium and green tea extract too.

Advertisement