Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

HSE and Harney: Hands off our hospital

Options
  • 14-08-2010 1:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭

Well done to the Roscommon HAC (hospital action committee) and the organisers of the protest march in Roscommon town today

well organised, huge turnout and good speeches.

I'd say close to 10,000 people there.

HSE: hands off our hospital. It saves lives locally. Is a quality servies with dedicated staff.

€20 million to run the place annually yet the HSE are mismanaging funds elsewhere so the Roscommon hospital is in danger

shame on Minister Finneran for not standing with the people.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,522 ✭✭✭✭yabadabado

it's been reported on rte.ie that there was 8,000 at the protest.hope it helps keep the hospital open.

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

Well done to the Roscommon HAC (hospital action committee) and the organisers of the protest march in Roscommon town today

well organised, huge turnout and good speeches.

I'd say close to 10,000 people there.

HSE: hands off our hospital. It saves lives locally. Is a quality servies with dedicated staff.

€20 million to run the place annually yet the HSE are mismanaging funds elsewhere so the Roscommon hospital is in danger

shame on Minister Finneran for not standing with the people.

Agree fully, now lets use it and not lose it..

• Registered Users Posts: 4,361 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

It is being used, check out the figures for last 2 years...

Activity.jpg

but if a consultant surgeon does his surgery in Galway and won't travel to Roscommon to perform operations, what option do people have?

• Registered Users Posts: 489 ✭✭WaltKowalski

When people attend a+e in Roscommon with a broken bone or a sick child and are sent to Merlin Park or Portiuncla - the what option do they have?

• Registered Users Posts: 335 ✭✭In my opinion

When people attend a+e in Roscommon with a broken bone or a sick child and are sent to Merlin Park or Portiuncla - the what option do they have?

Those people are using it. It's all those from West Roscommon who go straight for Castlebar or North Roscommon who go for Sligo.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 142 ✭✭queensinead

Agree fully, now lets use it and not lose it..

The "people are not using it" accusation is part of Harney-speak, which implies we are all "consumers" and exercise "choice". Hospitals are not like supermarkets, your "choice" is pretty limited when you find yourself ferried off to Galway by ambulance, or referred there.

Fair play to the people of Roscommon for their protest.

Why should services be taken from Roscommon Hospital when it hasn't over run its own budget??? Roscommon is on budget, providing good services to local people

HSE west is going to overrun by €90 million this year.

what incompetent person/people is responsible for spending money that just isn't there? will they be fired?

or will the same admininstrators/managers just pick on Roscommon hospital?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,275 ✭✭✭evolutionqy7

providing good services to local people

your joking right?

your joking right?
    no I'm not
    how many lives have been saved by Roscommon Hospital being nearby?
    how much time is saved be services being available locally?

well sorry alot of relatives of mine share my views...

have been in there many times for various things so have my friends and relatives and they have experienced slow inconsistent service. my mothers boyfriend walked in to get a sore spot beside his ear checked out and he sat in the hospital for 12 hours before getting attended...

he asked the nurse several times and she moved him around from waiting room to a diff room then after another hours he asked her is any one gonna check me today so she went down to a doctor which was writing some documents , then she looked at him and carried on writing for an hour till he pointed his watch on the wrist to her...so she came to him giving out with attitude...for coming to a hospital lol

wtf is up with that? this was experienced by alot of people

by no means no one wants it closed...just think massive overhaul should be done to boost the hospitals efficiency...

with the time i have spent in it i could have drove to a better hospital and make it back for dinner instead of spending the whole day there

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,342 ✭✭✭✭rossie1977

by no means no one wants it closed...just think massive overhaul should be done to boost the hospitals efficiency...

with the time i have spent in it i could have drove to a better hospital and make it back for dinner instead of spending the whole day there

agree with that, roscommon hospital needs a complete overhaul, its not efficient atm and will never be under its current scheme, but closing it would be insane, that would mean somewhere like castlerea (second biggest town in the county) would be over 1 hour from the closest hospital which is unacceptable in a so called first world country

well sorry alot of relatives of mine share my views...

have been in there many times for various things so have my friends and relatives and they have experienced slow inconsistent service. my mothers boyfriend walked in to get a sore spot beside his ear checked out and he sat in the hospital for 12 hours before getting attended...

he asked the nurse several times and she moved him around from waiting room to a diff room then after another hours he asked her is any one gonna check me today so she went down to a doctor which was writing some documents , then she looked at him and carried on writing for an hour till he pointed his watch on the wrist to her...so she came to him giving out with attitude...for coming to a hospital lol

wtf is up with that? this was experienced by alot of people

a lot of hospitals are like that if you go in and its not an emergency
    its why people should visit their GP FIRST
    not just wander into the hospital to get everything checked out!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Good luck to the people in Roscommon and I hope you keep your hospital. Having said that, I don't see the point of blocking up the streets of Roscommon with 8,000 people. No politician cares. Go and block the front and back entrances of Leinster House. That'll get their attention.

And beware anyone running for government on a "keep our hospital" ticket. Just ask the people of Monaghan about Margaret Conlon.

a lot of hospitals are like that if you go in and its not an emergency
    its why people should visit their GP FIRST
    not just wander into the hospital to get everything checked out!

Hmm well i was sent from GP to the hospital still spent over 5 hours waiting for a bloody xray!!!

and no most hospitals arent like that! its just lazy roscommon

Hmm well i was sent from GP to the hospital still spent over 5 hours waiting for a bloody xray!!!

and no most hospitals arent like that! its just lazy roscommon

you've never been to other hospitals so.

ive been dublin/portlaois/ballinasloe and never experienced such bad service...im sorry i dont have to travel the whole of country and try all of the hospitals just to see which ones worse...sitting 5 hours is bad enough to see that things arent going the way they should...thanks to staff that only care about their salary!

lmao ill never protect public service workers cause majority is bloody useless...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

When living in Dublin I had cause to go to two seperate hospitals. In the first I was waiting FOURTEEN hours for an x-ray, despite having been referred by a GP.

In the other I was EIGHT hours, again after being referred.

It's a countrywide problem.

yet every one seems to ignore it...doctors and nurses walking around drinking a cup of tea and talking about grays anatomy last night while patients waiting in the reception

half of them bastards should be sacked

• Registered Users Posts: 5,289 ✭✭✭megadodge

So, doctors and nurses working in seriously understaffed areas are "bastards"?

Nothing else needs to be said in relation to your miserable, pathetic attitude to life.

how about putting some effort in it?

lol...seriously most of nurses and doctors are layed back over paid dossers

• Advertisement

how about putting some effort in it?

lol...seriously most of nurses and doctors are layed back over paid dossers

have you ever worked in a hospital? or with sick/frail people

would you want doctors and nurses rushing around trying to see as many patients as possible?
    they have a duty of care

what do you do? apart from run everything down

no but my mother was an intensive care nurse and ive spent enough time in a hospital around her to know what goes around and what doesnt...im not saying i want them to run around not taking care of quality of their work...im saying half of them are not working to their best ability cause alot of them are just plain lazy

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

This thread is about keeping the hospital open and not whether nurses etc are lazy.
    Let's stay on course here.

I see FG have decided to close the A & E at Rocommon Hospital with one stroke of a pen

While sad, I'm not surprised.
    the HSE has re-arranged budgets and services to ensure Galway UH is prioritised for eveything
    also, lately I've heard stories that the nursing staff at Roscommon hospital are not friendly.
    And also that the staff at the A&E were very inefficient with dealing with patients.
    is it a case that the staff no longer care when they know the place was in the firing line to be closed?
    many local GPs would rather send patients to Galway than support the local hospital when consultants have out-clinics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,787 ✭✭✭g5fd6ow0hseima

While sad, I'm not surprised.
    the HSE has re-arranged budgets and services to ensure Galway UH is prioritised for eveything

Something which is self-defeating in the highest order. UH just about manages as it is, so what's it going to be like with Roscommon's pantients now forced to use UCHG?
    also, lately I've heard stories that the nursing staff at Roscommon hospital are not friendly.

While I have heard nothing of this sort, one must acknowledge that the strenuous working environment may be having its effects on the nursing staff. It's hard keep a smile on your face in most jobs, let alone those working in an under-staffed hospital.
    And also that the staff at the A&E were very inefficient with dealing with patients.

I've only been in 3 A&E units in Irish hospitals and I found Roscommon to be no worse than any of them, and I was there as recent as last december.
    is it a case that the staff no longer care when they know the place was in the firing line to be closed?

In what way to they 'no longer care'?
    many local GPs would rather send patients to Galway than support the local hospital when consultants have out-clinics

Im sure if the relevant consultants are in Roscommon, GPs send their patients there. It goes without saying that UCHG has a far bigger range of consultants within its ranks than Roscommon does.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 428 ✭✭Chipboard

It's official - Roscommon A&E to close from next Monday. That Feighan guy has some neck to sit right behind Reilly while he spoke on it in the Dail today. People are calling on him to resign but he hasn't got an ounce of shame and it would appear that Naughton is no better.

This should be the end of Fine Gael in Roscommon.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

I'm living in Co. Clare but the same thing happened to us in April 2009.

Most people in Clare never dreamt that A&E services (after 8pm) would be removed from Ennis General Hospital either but they were despite all the meetings, protests and rallies. Doctors even warned that lives could/would be lost as a result of the decision but the HSE forged ahead. The HSE don't seem to understand the importance of the "Golden Hour".

What is really worrying is to read about patients who have suffered heart attacks but their journey into Limerick (nearest Centre of Excellence) was delayed because the ambulance personnel couldn't find a house or the ambulance had to travel from another part of the county. The sooner we get postal codes in this country the better, they might help the emergency services locate houses in rural areas quicker.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6352:hse-apologises-to-kilnamona-family-for-ambulance-delay&catid=43:health&Itemid=60

I must say that in my experience ambulance personnel are highly skilled and professional who do brilliant work under immense pressure. I believe that closure of A&E in Ennis has placed them under even greater pressure.

When the HSE removed A&E services from Ennis, they promised a "Centre of Excellence" in Limerick. I have had the misfortune of attending A&E in Limerick with a family member and while the nurses and doctors do a wonderful job the place is bursting at the seams and is more akin to a warzone than a hospital department. It is impossible for the Regional to deliver proper services to the people of Limerick City and County, Clare and North Tipp without a substantial increase in resources.

Unfortunately, it seems that the people of Roscommon now find themselves in the same awful position.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭Dr. Kenneth Noisewater

Chipboard wrote: »
    It's official - Roscommon A&E to close from next Monday. That Feighan guy has some neck to sit right behind Reilly while he spoke on it in the Dail today. People are calling on him to resign but he hasn't got an ounce of shame and it would appear that Naughton is no better.

This should be the end of Fine Gael in Roscommon.

+1.

Absolutely disgraceful. How either of them would have the brass neck to show their faces around Roscommon after this shame is incredible. And to think, they're still considering pumping billions into an underground rail system in Dublin (Metro North) when they already have the DART, motorway and Port Tunnel. Absolutely typical of the bulls**t that the people of the west have had to put up with for decades. :mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭angelfire9

MrsD007 wrote: »
    I'm living in Co. Clare but the same thing happened to us in April 2009.

Most people in Clare never dreamt that A&E services (after 8pm) would be removed from Ennis General Hospital either but they were despite all the meetings, protests and rallies. Doctors even warned that lives could/would be lost as a result of the decision but the HSE forged ahead. The HSE don't seem to understand the importance of the "Golden Hour".

What is really worrying is to read about patients who have suffered heart attacks but their journey into Limerick (nearest Centre of Excellence) was delayed because the ambulance personnel couldn't find a house or the ambulance had to travel from another part of the county. The sooner we get postal codes in this country the better, they might help the emergency services locate houses in rural areas quicker.

http://www.clarechampion.ie/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=6352:hse-apologises-to-kilnamona-family-for-ambulance-delay&catid=43:health&Itemid=60

I must say that in my experience ambulance personnel are highly skilled and professional who do brilliant work under immense pressure. I believe that closure of A&E in Ennis has placed them under even greater pressure.

When the HSE removed A&E services from Ennis, they promised a "Centre of Excellence" in Limerick. I have had the misfortune of attending A&E in Limerick with a family member and while the nurses and doctors do a wonderful job the place is bursting at the seams and is more akin to a warzone than a hospital department. It is impossible for the Regional to deliver proper services to the people of Limerick City and County, Clare and North Tipp without a substantial increase in resources.

Unfortunately, it seems that the people of Roscommon now find themselves in the same awful position.

MrsD as you know I am from Clare as well but I have to disagree with you here
    The people of Roscommon county can (depending on their location) travel to Castlebar, Athlone, Sligo, Galway city or Ballinasloe for A&E services, most people in Roscommon are within 1 hour of one of these hospitals

In Clare most people outside of Ennis are OUTSIDE of 1 hour from A&E in Limerick
    In fact, a good chunk of West Clare residents are outside of 2 hours from Limerick RH

i did a few maps in AH to highlight the difference
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73159939&postcount=32

And for the record my father is from Castlerea, my uncle still lives there and I have family in Roscommon town and a myriad of other places in Co. Roscommon so I am not in any way biased against the Rossies ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,585 ✭✭✭✭Lady Chatterton

angelfire9 wrote: »
    MrsD as you know I am from Clare as well but I have to disagree with you here
    The people of Roscommon county can (depending on their location) travel to Castlebar, Athlone, Sligo, Galway city or Ballinasloe for A&E services, most people in Roscommon are within 1 hour of one of these hospitals

In Clare most people outside of Ennis are OUTSIDE of 1 hour from A&E in Limerick
    In fact, a good chunk of West Clare residents are outside of 2 hours from Limerick RH

i did a few maps in AH to highlight the difference
    http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showpost.php?p=73159939&postcount=32

And for the record my father is from Castlerea, my uncle still lives there and I have family in Roscommon town and a myriad of other places in Co. Roscommon so I am not in any way biased against the Rossies ;)
    Angelfire - you are missing my point completely.

My point is that in Clare we were promised a Centre of Excellence in Limerick but what actually happened was services were transferred to Limerick Regional Hospital before resources were put in place to deal with the increased capacity. I'm not sure if you have been in A&E in Limerick recently but it is hell on earth. I have great sympathy for the doctors and nurses that have work in such as stressful environment. The hospital is struggling to cope.

There is also an issue regarding ambulances, they do not have SAT NAV devices and there have been issues with ambulance personnel having difficultly locating houses, particularly in rural areas. This could be easily sorted with the introduction of postal codes and also if ambulances were fitted with SAT NAVS.

With regard to times, it is imperative that patients who have suffered heart attacks, strokes etc are seen within an hour, it known in medical circles as the "Golden Hour", during interviews, staff from Roscommon General and members of their action committee have clearly stated that it can take 1 hr 20 mins to 1 hr 30 mins to get to Galway.

As this is the Roscommon forum is probably not fair to be discussing Clare/Limerick but I do hope that when Roscommon's A&E closes that they get the Centre of Excellence that they are being promised and the hospital is given the resources to deal with the increase in A&E referrals.

Advertisement