Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Third of WHO advisers received support from drug firms

Options
13»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

sligopark wrote: »
    Yes plenty of evidence past chemotherapy and this cancer scare tactic
    There is plenty of evidence showing chemo is effective in treating certain forms of cancer; I think the burden of proof is on you here to show me otherwise.

Hint: LInking to Naturalnews or http://naturesmother.myfreeforum.org/(WTF?} won't do much to convince people.
    or HIV scare tactic - Gaysus I can get HIV from eating my greens and that nasty Gerson therapy LOL
    Who the hell ever suggested anything like this?
    You guys sound like drug pushers
    You sound like a pseudoskeptic conspiricary nut, but then none of use are perfect.
    truly healthy lifestyles or the latest trends or useless advice from their GP that includes taking the latest drug pushed?
    People who eat their greens, avoid smoking and drinking too much alcohol etc. Few people are immune to cancer.

And whilst I do think drugs are overprescribed for minor ailments, it is actually the CAM proponents who are pushing pills and potions, claiming they are essential for a healthy lifestyle.

How many healthy robust people do you know that fall to TB or deep infection (which I presume follows some operation for ill health and so rules out the healthy robust individuals I know)?
    There was an outbreak of TB in St. Joseph's School a few years ago, affecting more than 10 students. All were under 18, and presumably quite healthy and robust.

Anyone who suffers a deep wound, which are not confined to the operating theatre, is susceptible to a nasty infection which could well be fatal without antibiotics.

I am not the biggest fan of Big Pharma myself, but completely denouncing every single treatment they offer is insanity.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,620 ✭✭✭sligopark

Do you even know what that word means?

yes and I doubt that you know much about epigenetics or you wouldn't have posted something so ignorant of the latest discovery in genetics

Gee, what would I be basing that on? Vaccines? Antibiotics? Antimalarials? Immunosuppressants?

A tip - check out WHO Dale scales etc... and don't forget the impact of hygiene

Pace2008 wrote: »
    There is plenty of evidence showing chemo is effective in treating certain forms of cancer; I think the burden of proof is on you here to show me otherwise.

sorry you brought up the scare tactic I countered it sorry but its rubbish - you prove that nothing works better than poisoning your body till the choice comes down to the cancer or you.

But I will give you a lead - Michael Gearin Tosh - Living Proof here - 10 pence will buy you a copy

Who the hell ever suggested anything like this?

The HIV scare? sorry not you but bleg

Few people are immune to cancer.

you would be surprised - perhaps stating such before actually understanding the role of immunity and its role in recognising, fighting and preventing is a bit premature

There was an outbreak of TB in St. Joseph's School a few years ago, affecting more than 10 students. All were under 18, and presumably quite healthy and robust.

and no doubt vaccinated too

Anyone who suffers a deep wound, which are not confined to the operating theatre, is susceptible to a nasty infection which could well be fatal without antibiotics.

sorry not unless it is filled with earth rust or sh1te

never had antibiotics after any cuts requiring A&E attention and I have had heaps (and gave up the obligatory tetanus a long time ago) nor was I ever offered

never had antibiotics after any cuts requiring A&E attention and I have had heaps (and gave up the obligatory tetanus a long time ago) nor was I ever offered

They obviously weren't that deep then.

Claiming that the drugs industry has done nothing to help mankind is utterly farcical. Antibiotics and vaccination are 2 of the major reasons for increased life expectancy and decreased infant mortality in the developed world.

Sure, big pharmaceutical companies are always going to be focused on reaping maximum financial benefit, that is their prerogative. I would also agree that the pharmaceutical industry and the medical profession can be a bit too cosy at times.

However to say that as a whole the pharmaceutical/medical advances of the past 100 years, and particularly from 1928 onwards have not been beneficial to mankind is completley ridiculous.

They obviously weren't that deep then.

to the bone and into the deeper layers - on at least two occasions requiring surgical consult
    Claiming that the drugs industry has done nothing to help mankind is utterly farcical. Antibiotics and vaccination are 2 of the major reasons for increased life expectancy and decreased infant mortality in the developed world.

are you sure - according to whom?

What other pay offs health wise have there been?
    I would also agree that the pharmaceutical industry and the medical profession can be a bit too cosy at times.

+1

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

yes and I doubt that you know much about epigenetics or you wouldn't have posted something so ignorant of the latest discovery in genetics
    I'd be lying if I said I was. Care to elaborate with a source? I did do a module on chromatin remodelers for my degree but if you're referring to gene therapy, that's a long way away yet though it has shown promise. Also, it would not do much in the case of allele-dominant disorders like Huntingdon's disease.
    A tip - check out WHO Dale scales etc... and don't forget the impact of hygiene

Hygiene is rather effective but it can only do so much.
    But I will give you a lead - Michael Gearin Tosh - Living Proof here - 10 pence will buy you a copy

So... one guy doesn't die of cancer and you think that disproves the field of medicine?
    and no doubt vaccinated too

No vaccine is 100% effective at protecting 100% of those vaccinated. It just gives your body a much better chance at eliminating the pathogen before it can establish an infection. Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an extremely difficult pathogen to eliminate and the inflammation it can cause is just as damaging as the microbe itself. It is treated with an extremely strict 6 month regimen of antibiotics

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement

I'd be lying if I said I was.

no problem - http://www.sciencedaily.com/releases/2009/04/090412081315.htm

Hygiene is rather effective but it can only do so much.

hygiene has been primary - which wouild you rather grant a third world country - the money to establish clean water and food or the money to vaccinate?

Why does everyone force them to vaccinate?

So... one guy doesn't die of cancer and you think that disproves the field of medicine?

sorry you need to read how he (as an Oxford Don) came to the conclusion chemotherapy was not the be all end all that it has been made out to be and why he chose an evidence based approach.

No vaccine is 100% effective at protecting 100% of those vaccinated. It just gives your body a much better chance at eliminating the pathogen before it can establish an infection.

whilst it is supposed to work as such it does not.

And the claim of 100% is exactly what is claimed with vaccine swith the excuse that lack of herd immunity renders this less (which of course is a load of sh1te)

Mycobacterium tuberculosis is an extremely difficult pathogen to eliminate and the inflammation it can cause is just as damaging as the microbe itself. It is treated with an extremely strict 6 month regimen of antibiotics

Would agree and the mutations seen between different populations of TB and the event of world wide migrant movement has rendered the vaccinations useless at best and contributory at worst.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,188 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

I don't see anything here which would lead to a cure to genetic disorders. I already knew this from my degree. Epigenetics is about gene regulation. The problem with genetic disorders is that a gene's function is either absent or decreased.
    hygiene has been primary - which wouild you rather grant a third world country - the money to establish clean water and food or the money to vaccinate?

Well.. the food & drink obviously. Vaccines don't keep you alive, they protect you from infection by certain infectious diseases. The immune system is an expensive piece of kit. No vaccine will do any good if you're too malnourished to respond to it.
    sorry you need to read how he (as an Oxford Don) came to the conclusion chemotherapy was not the be all end all that it has been made out to be and why he chose an evidence based approach.

This proves nothing. You need a much bigger sample size than 1 person.
    whilst it is supposed to work as such it does not.

And the claim of 100% is exactly what is claimed with vaccine swith the excuse that lack of herd immunity renders this less (which of course is a load of sh1te)

What do you mean it doesn't. I've never heard anyone claim any vaccine was 100% effective. I know someone who got the full MMR course and she still contracted measles but most people didn't when it was going around. Vaccines only decrease the chance of you developing an infection. They introduce your immune system to a pathogen so it can recognise and clear it in future encounters.
    Would agree and the mutations seen between different populations of TB and the event of world wide migrant movement has rendered the vaccinations useless at best and contributory at worst.

Mutations do not render vaccines useless. And 10 vaccinated people contracting TB does not disprove the efficacy of vaccination. And if you do not receive the antibiotics you die anyway. Seems like an easy choice from here.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

I don't see anything here which would lead to a cure to genetic disorders. I already knew this from my degree. Epigenetics is about gene regulation. The problem with genetic disorders is that a gene's function is either absent or decreased.

I never mentioned genetic disorders you did. I simply mentioned epigenetics and then you relayed your lackof knowledge of such.

The immune system is an expensive piece of kit. No vaccine will do any good if you're too malnourished to respond to it.

Sorry its not - its free and can be primed better with normal childhood diseases that now are scary killers

This proves nothing. You need a much bigger sample size than 1 person.

sorry given your admitted lack of genetics and presumably health care science and his qualifications who are you to talk?

Personally I ll take his educated and well thought out reason any day rather than someone blindly following a faith

What do you mean it doesn't. I've never heard anyone claim any vaccine was 100% effective. I know someone who got the full MMR course and she still contracted measles but most people didn't when it was going around. Vaccines only decrease the chance of you developing an infection. They introduce your immune system to a pathogen so it can recognise and clear it in future encounters.

and when that pathogen mutates? What next - the vaccine still work?

Mutations do not render vaccines useless. And 10 vaccinated people contracting TB does not disprove the efficacy of vaccination.

. . . . . .. . . . . . . . . . . ,.-‘”. . . . . . . . . .``~.,
    . . . . . . . .. . . . . .,.-”. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .“-.,
    . . . . .. . . . . . ..,/. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ”:,
    . . . . . . . .. .,?. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\,
    . . . . . . . . . /. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,}
    . . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`^`.}
    . . . . . . . ./. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:”. . . ./
    . . . . . . .?. . . __. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . :`. . . ./
    . . . . . . . /__.(. . .“~-,_. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ,:`. . . .. ./
    . . . . . . /(_. . ”~,_. . . ..“~,_. . . . . . . . . .,:`. . . . _/
    . . . .. .{.._$;_. . .”=,_. . . .“-,_. . . ,.-~-,}, .~”; /. .. .}
    . . .. . .((. . .*~_. . . .”=-._. . .“;,,./`. . /” . . . ./. .. ../
    . . . .. . .\`~,. . ..“~.,. . . . . . . . . ..`. . .}. . . . . . ../
    . . . . . .(. ..`=-,,. . . .`. . . . . . . . . . . ..(. . . ;_,,-”
    . . . . . ../.`~,. . ..`-.. . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..\. . /\
    . . . . . . \`~.*-,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . ..|,./.....\,__
    ,,_. . . . . }.>-._\. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .|. . . . . . ..`=~-,
    . .. `=~-,_\_. . . `\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . .`=~-,,.\,. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .\
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . `:,, . . . . . . . . . . . . . `\. . . . . . ..__
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .`=-,. . . . . . . . . .,%`>--==``
    . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . _\. . . . . ._,-%. . . ..`
    And if you do not receive the antibiotics you die anyway. Seems like an easy choice from here.

It might well be having had the vaccine predictably fail.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Funny. Penelope Dingle chose (read was told to choose by her husband) the same "evidence based" approach.

Funny. Penelope Dingle chose (read was told to choose by her husband) the same "evidence based" approach.

Hardly comical but he is alive and she is not. How many chemo patients die during treatment or fail to survive five years plus?

when we are on the vein of random internet links

http://invw.org/chemo-main

• Advertisement

You brought up epigenetics when I said that genetic disorders are incurable and alleviating the symptoms is the best we can do presently.
    And when I said the immune systems was expensive I meant in terms of amounts of energy and fuel it requires to function correctly.
    The Immune system can respond to tumours which might explain why this chap got better. However, due to the selection pressure and the buildup of mutations in our DNA as we age, the likelihood of developing a tumour invisible to the immune system increases.
    His qualifications are all arts ffs. Did you even read that link you posted?
    And, there are several types of vaccine available. Some involve dead organisms, some involve fragments of dead organisms. The idea is to expose these to the immune system which will retain the best fit antibodies and T cells to the exposed pathogen material. It would take quite a few mutations to get round this.
    Antibiotics, on the other had tend to block enzymes and proteins. A single base mutation in the pathogen DNA can block this. For example, Enterococci develop resistance to Vancomycin because of the addition of a single hydrogen to the cell wall. The reaction here is quite intricate. It also means that antibiotics tend not to be that toxic compared to other medications.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

I
    sorry given your admitted lack of genetics and presumably health care science and his qualifications who are you to talk?
    ie. You'll listen to rhetoric over hard science.

You're claiming that there are better "natural" remedies for treating the forms of cancer for which chemo is used, and you think one book detailing one person's experience with these treatments is enough to confirm this, partially because he's an Oxford don (who is not trained in medicine).

You're suggesting that HIV is simply "a scare."

You're implying that there is little or no need for antibiotics, again because of the experiences of one person (you).

You're saying all these things like they're common sense but they're not; they are fringe views and I'll state again that in such situations the onus is on you to provide evidence to the contrary - and by evidence I mean proper, peer-reviewed studies and not books about this one dude's non-medical opinion on cancer treatment or links to site for mothers wishing to give birth naturally.

It's pretty harmless when someone thinks wild blue-green algae will make them live to 150 and give them a bigger dick, but views like yours are frankly dangerous.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,586 ✭✭✭sock puppet

Hardly comical but he is alive and she is not. How many chemo patients die during treatment or fail to survive five years plus?

He isn't alive.

+1.
    I don't like saying things straight out like that pace2008 but I more or less agree.

My qualifications? I have a microbiology degree from Trinity and I am now doing a Biomedical Science masters. I have done Immunology research in St. James's Hospital and am now in the middle of another Immunology research project. It is a subject close to my heart and one I hope to spend the rest of my life in.

H. H. Asquith

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,871 ✭✭✭Corsendonk

Why can't the health care system apply the same rigereous high standards of hygiene that high risk food factories have in place? Doctors and nurses have minimal hygiene standards in place, they don't disrobe between zones. There seems to be a culture of poor controls in place.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,060 ✭✭✭✭My name is URL

Corsendonk wrote: »
    Why can't the health care system apply the same rigereous high standards of hygiene that high risk food factories have in place? Doctors and nurses have minimal hygiene standards in place, they don't disrobe between zones. There seems to be a culture of poor controls in place.

That's more to do with poor management than anything else. Go into any private hospital, like the Beacon Clinic for example and you'll be amazed by the difference in standards. Millions are wasted every year in public healthcare on redtape and over-administration when it could be spent on improving basic standards within hospitals

He isn't alive.

Sorry he lived on and recovered but died from a blood infection.

My qualifications? I have a microbiology degree from Trinity and I am now doing a Biomedical Science masters. I have done Immunology research in St. James's Hospital and am now in the middle of another Immunology research project. It is a subject close to my heart and one I hope to spend the rest of my life in.

perhaps you should begin with a brush up on epigenetics then

ie. You'll listen to rhetoric over hard science.

You're claiming that there are better "natural" remedies for treating the forms of cancer for which chemo is used, and you think one book detailing one person's experience with these treatments is enough to confirm this, partially because he's an Oxford don (who is not trained in medicine).

I am suggesting chemo is not the be all end all and it isn't.
    You're suggesting that HIV is simply "a scare."

Nope - misquote - bleg introduced it after you raised the scare tactic of 'what would you do if you had cancer?' like there wasn't a choice.

You're implying that there is little or no need for antibiotics, again because of the experiences of one person (you).

I never have heard of anyone prescribed antibiotics post cut deep or otherwise although many have had tetanus on the same basis you refer to.

You're saying all these things like they're common sense

They are

views like yours are frankly dangerous.

this sounds like the catholic bishops of the eighties or further back when they forced belief in an earth at the centre of the universe and fought against Darwin... give it a rest

It's pretty harmless when someone thinks wild blue-green algae will make them live to 150 and give them a bigger dick

blue algae makes your dick bigger??

Besides all of which this is heading offtopic which is the pharmaceutical industry shaping world wide health policies using the WHO as a vehicle for wealth creation rather than health promotion.

perhaps you should begin with a brush up on epigenetics then

Seems to me you need a proper introduction to the subject.

H. H. Asquith

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭eightyfish

Go into any private hospital, like the Beacon Clinic for example and you'll be amazed by the difference in standards.

Or go into any hospital in France, Germany, Canada or Australia an you will be amazed by the difference in standards.

Advertisement