Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Warrenpoint: A case of a Paramilitary force against a conventional army.

Options
1235»

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,567 ✭✭✭✭Fratton Fred

Fuinseog wrote: »
    the good general was hardly neutral when it came to Norn Iron. it was the responsibility of the Irish army to intervene on the Irish side. British army shooting at the repulic is a good way to provoke an armed conflcit.

I doubt very much teh BA would tolerate teh Irish army shooting into NI.
    this has been covered, but i would imagine that any member of the Irish Defence Force who wanted to take pot shots at a NI terrorist would be welcomed by the UK forces.
    Fuinseog wrote: »
    i read memoirs of British generals with interest and am often dismayed with their portrayal of the Irish. Jackson was careful aout his description of events.

his colleagues such as peter de la billiere were less careful and wrongfully labelled innocent civilians terrorists, such as John Boyle, an innocent 16 year old shot in the back by the SAS.

the norn iron 'conflict was a war. why oh why were teh UN not sent in like in Cyprus and other parts.

I thought we were avoiding all that crap, or is it OK if we criticise the British Army, but not the IRA? Maybe the OP could give us some guidance on this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,670 ✭✭✭✭Wolfe Tone

I thought we were avoiding all that crap, or is it OK if we criticise the British Army, but not the IRA? Maybe the OP could give us some guidance on this.

Yeah, that was the idea. Was intended to a military discussion of the event with little regard to the politics behind it. A discussion of the successes and failures of the belligerents on that day, such as BA errors, the IRAs planning etc etc from a strictly neutral pov without the usual rubbish these threads throw up. We were discussing the BA shooting the innocents and the consensus seems to be that they thought they were under attack hence they fired. A poster esquired whether any action was taken as a result of the killing of that innocent man. I do not know, but I doubt any was.

Advertisement